Old 03-03-2003, 04:13 AM
Recommend a book, pwease.

I was reading ROTK, but I just can't go on any longer. Every time I pick it up I start nodding off, so I'll just need to wait for the movie and start reading something else.

Fahrenheit 451, The Catcher in the Rye, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and The Search for the Dice Man have all been recommended by Amazon (along with some books I've no interest in at all). Anyone willing to back them up?

I know I really should've read Catcher by now, so should I just go for that? The only other book I was thinking of was Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess.

All recommendations are welcome, except for sci-fi/fantasy/girlie stuff.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:15 AM
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

The World According To Garp by John Irving

Three crackers to start you off...
Old 03-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Eugenides, eh? Damnit.... got to Waterstone's and my mind went blank.

I did remember about Garp, though, so I picked that up along with Hannibal (which I meant to read ages ago) and Oxygen by Andrew Miller. Didn't really know anything about the latter, but as it was a 3 for 2 I was as well getting it (It was either that or one of 12,000 John Grisham novels).

Anyone read it? Good? Bad?
Old 03-03-2003, 08:52 AM
More suggestions:

A Widow for One Year--John Irving

The Bell Jar--Sylvia Plath

Remain's of the Day--Kazuo Ishiguro
Old 03-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Ian Fleming- from russia with love

Clive cussler- Sahara

David gemmell-Legend.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:53 AM
The K-Pax trilogy- Gene Brewer

Tell No One- Harlan Coben

The Pianist- (unpronouncable first name) Spilzman

Anything by Nick Hornby
Old 03-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, people. Will keep them in mind for when I've finished these three.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:53 PM
If you read Garp and don't feel any emotions at the epilogue, check your pulse. You may be dead.

Happy reading, Mick.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Richard Adams-Maia

Richard Adams-The Girl In the Swing

Maia is the tale of a girl who is sold as a concubine in India. It is disturbing and sexy w/ quite a bit of intrigue as well...Highly recommended, if you like long novels. I was glued to it from page 2.

The Girl In The Swing is CREEEEEEPY....and sat with me for weeks. It's a love story w/ a twisted ending...enjoy!

THere are so many great books that I tend to stick with one author at a time when people ask me to recommend.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
I think Catcher in the Rye is the best book of all time...and you must believe in me, dammit!! I haven't come all this way for nothing!

Also, some more of my favorites

Fiction:
Franny & Zooey
In His Own Write
Our Man in Havana
Getting Even

Non-Fiction:
If Chins Could Kill
Old 03-04-2003, 12:23 AM
The Stand by Stephen King.

Later,

Kyle
Old 03-05-2003, 02:23 PM
The Stand, It, Misery, Four Seasons, The Talisman, and Dreamcatcher by King.

any of James Patterson's Alex Cross books (Along Came A Spider is the 1st one- it's better than the movie)

I Am Legend or Hell House by Richard Matheson
Old 03-05-2003, 02:41 PM
The Belgariad or The Malloreon series, or if you're not in the mood for a series, try The Redemption Of Althalus. All are by David & Leigh Eddings.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaos
The Belgariad or The Malloreon series, or if you're not in the mood for a series, try The Redemption Of Althalus. All are by David & Leigh Eddings.

and something he neglected to mention is that they are all very very good.

also by thje same author, u may wish to check out the elenium and the tamuli. they arent quiote as good as the ones kaos listed, but they are still pretty damn fine novels.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
and something he neglected to mention is that they are all very very good.

also by thje same author, u may wish to check out the elenium and the tamuli. they arent quiote as good as the ones kaos listed, but they are still pretty damn fine novels.
I did forget to mention that didn't I? Oddly enough, David and Leigh actually liked the Elenium and Tamuil series better than, well for simplicity's sake, I'll call them the Belgarion saga. However, most of their fans feel the oppisite. Oh, I almost forgot, Silk rules!
Old 03-06-2003, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaos
Silk rules!

u have no idea how much i agree with you on that point. i love the devious little bastard