Old 03-03-2003, 10:07 AM
The Rules of Attraction by Brett Easton-Elliss

I just bought this book today and I started to read it, only to find that it started like this...

and it's a story that might bore you but you don't have to listen, she told me, because she always knew it was going to be like that

Thinking this was a little weird for the book to start like this I went back into the shop and every single copy was the same. At the bottom of the page it says 3.

AHA!!! page missing I thought, but the page before says FALL 1985 which would mean that that was page 1, blank page, 2 and then beginning of the book, 3.

Can anybody solve this mystery for me?

Am I going to have to take the book back?
Old 03-03-2003, 01:17 PM
That's the way Ellis wrote it. Check out www.avary.com
Lots of info about the movie/book, check out the message board too.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:15 PM
If I was you I'd take the book back anyway...on account of it being a total piece of shit.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:00 AM
Thanks dark lamb.

Bob, this book is awesome, what are you on about?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:20 PM
200+ pages of boring people doing boring things is not my definition of an awesome book.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:22 PM
I belive that that is how the movie started too.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Yep it does, it ends the same too, mid sentence.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:06 AM
RULES OF ATTRACTION? Boring? Are you people insane?!

This is one of my favourite books from one of my favourite writers. It's also got a very funny cameo from a certain Patrick Bateman that you might remember from another of Ellis's masterpieces - AMERICAN PSYCHO! It also features Bateman's brother. I think RULES OF ATTRACTION is an excellent story about college life. Of course, it doesn't have a linear plot so that will ensure that a lot of people will dismiss it as boring. If, however, like me, you are tired of hackneyed plots and predictable characters it's a lot of fun to read a book that doesn't support itself on a cliched frame-work.

The only Ellis books I didn't like was THE INFORMERS - that book depressed me for days after. LESS THAN ZERO and GLAMORAMA were brilliant - just as good as AMERICAN PSYCHO and RULES OF ATTRACTION.

I hear that the movie of RULES is very good. I won't watch it though - I hate that paint-by-numbers feeling I get when I watch a movie based on a book that I liked.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Well, I'm actually the only one who said it was boring, so we people aren't insane, just me.