Old 03-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Do You Have rules....?

I have a 20 page rule when it comes to books. If I'm not into it by then, I usually chunk it. I feel the same way about movies. If I'm not into it 20 minutes in, it usually turns out to be a waste of my time.

Do any more of you have these kind of rules? I recently closed for good, 'Rogue Planet' by Greg Bear (from the Star Wars series) and Watership Down by Richard Adams because by 20 pages in I just was bored.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:13 PM
If I can't recall what has happened, by the time I get about 50 pages in then I usually don't finish the book. If I'm so bored that I can't even concentrate on what it is happening then it's usually a waste of time.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:35 PM
I usually try to finish every book I start. If I get about half way through and I'm still not into it then I'll stop reading but I try to give it as much chance to get going as I can. The only recent books I've put down were Stephen King's Insomnia and Dreamcatcher. I got about half way through both and decided I couldn't care less about the outcome of either.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm like Rogue; I try to finish every book I begin. The only book I've ever really put down was Stephen King's Rose Madder. I was about halfway through it, and just wasn't digging it at all. I may try to finish it someday, though.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:35 AM
If I have to force myself to read it, I stop. Unless it is required, I should want to find out what happens, and be truly interested. I'd like to think of myself as a fairly educated person, and if a book doesn't interest me to the extent that I want to know what turns out happening...it isn't worth my time.

But, I do try to give a book a chance. Some great books start out sort of slow and then once you get into them just knock you upside the head and make you reevaluate everything.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:25 PM
My only rule is that I put it down if I'm not into it by 100 pages.

Also, as a rule, I don't buy any of Tom Clancy's new stuff, because most of it is boring as hell. His old stuff was great though
Old 03-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Usually I try to tough it out when reading a book or comic or even watching a movie. Things usually have to be very shitty for me not to finish either of the three.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Voorhees
I'm like Rogue; I try to finish every book I begin. The only book I've ever really put down was Stephen King's Rose Madder. I was about halfway through it, and just wasn't digging it at all. I may try to finish it someday, though.
It seems like everybody has a particular Stephen King novel they could not finish, lol. I happened to love Rose Madder, as well as Insomnia, but I could not finish Tommyknockers.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:21 PM
A book that strikes me as phoney or transparent usually gets on my nerves and I have to put down. That, and a book I feel I could have written better myself. Nearly anything by Piers Anthony falls into both of those catagories.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:28 PM
I don't think I've ever stopped reading a book since I force myself to finish it. Except with Tom Clancy books. I can never finish those books cause I don't get what's happening half the time, and they're just way too long
Old 03-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
I could not finish Tommyknockers.
Me either!!! I got about 50 pages into it and just said "This is terrible" and put it down. My only rule I have I picked up after watching When Harry Met Sally. Thanks to Billy Crystals speech, I always read the last page of a book first, that way if I die before I finish the book I'll still know how it ends.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
It seems like everybody has a particular Stephen King novel they could not finish, lol. I happened to love Rose Madder, as well as Insomnia, but I could not finish Tommyknockers.
I think you're right . I loved Insomnia, too. One of these days, I'll give Rose Madder another shot...see what happens.

I agree about The Tommyknockers. I did finish that book, but in retrospect, I don't see why. It's easily one of King's worst, in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:20 PM
I found the middle of "Rose Madder" slow-paced and sloggy, but the final third is really good. "The Tommyknockers" isn't very good on a whole, but it has a lot of excellent "parts" in my opinion that made the read more than worth it. I especially liked the aliens.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the night watchman
"The Tommyknockers" isn't very good on a whole, but it has a lot of excellent "parts" in my opinion that made the read more than worth it. I especially liked the aliens.
The aliens were cool.

Spoilers! Highlight to read:

I liked how they were more intelligent than humanity, but not in an all-encompassing way. As Bobbie puts it, to the best of my memory: "We're not like Einstein. He understood relativity...he understood things. We're more like...handymen." I thought that was a nice approach.

And yes, I probably butchered that quote .
Old 03-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RogueSpear
I usually try to finish every book I start. If I get about half way through and I'm still not into it then I'll stop reading but I try to give it as much chance to get going as I can. The only recent books I've put down were Stephen King's Insomnia and Dreamcatcher. I got about half way through both and decided I couldn't care less about the outcome of either.
I put down Dreamcatcher too. It was incredibly dull.

I also put down Sinners by Jackie Collins. I love her books but this one was so flat and BOR-ING.