Old 09-30-2000, 06:52 PM
Biggest DVD Disappointment?

When you first hear of a DVD's upcoming release, especially for a movie that you've anxiously been waiting for, you're pretty excited, right? You've got your hopes up and the disc in your hand as you put it in the player...only to realize IT SUCKS BIG FAT RHINOCEROS DICK! (with apologies to Boiler Room)

I recently went out and bought the new reissue of Boogie Nights, eagerly awaiting the deleted scenes and commmentary tracks. The thing is, the deleted scenes were all featured in the previous version! The John C. Reilly Files, another supplement, weren't that good either. The menus were pretty crappy too. So much hype for things we've already seen or heard. All in all, this was kind of a letdown, BUT still a great movie...

Have you guys ever rented a DVD or bought one, only to realize: "Damn, I really should have passed on this one?" or "What's that painful feeling, oh, it's just the DVD burning a hole in my pocket." Feel free to turn this post into your own personal place to vent DVD related frustrations.

PS: I think the much anticipated American Beauty release will suck horribly. No deleted scenes? One trailer? One Commentary? Please guys, we deserve more than that!

'drew

Old 10-01-2000, 06:07 AM
UK release of Face/Off... no extras whatsoever, not even a trailer... and its a flipper too! Grrr...
Old 10-01-2000, 10:33 AM
THe American Pyscho dvd by far...... what a rip!!!1
Old 10-03-2000, 11:19 AM
The Boogie Nights DVD re-release had three new deleted scenes totalling 10 deleted scenes, the previous release had seven deleted scenes...the best new one is the scenario with Becky Barnett after her wedding...

The first commentary by the director was on the first release but the second commentary by the cast and P.T.A. is brand new and I think it is funny that they talk about Luis Guzman smoking pot before his scenes. Also, hit the color bars and wait if you want some additional deleted scenes, at least mine has that feature.

The Widescreen transfer is also superb to the original and has more definition and takes up more of the screen, increasing the widescreen differential aspect.

I have had lots of DVD letdowns, but face it...their still better than video...remember, a video only has the movie on it (in most cases) and if a DVD only has the movie on it, it still surpasses the video because you have chapter/scene selection, better picture quality and sound...and no matter how many times you watch it, as long as you take care of it, it will never look worse or wear away like videotape...I just think that sometimes you guys are more interested in the extras than the feature presentation...I buy the DVD for the movie presentation...extras are nice though...
Old 10-03-2000, 02:29 PM
Welcome back, Brock, it's been awhile....

I completely agree with your quality of picture argument, that's the reason we buy DVD's right? No quarrels there.

The new deleted scenes in Boogie Nights, were alright and the Becky Barnett scene was granted, the best addition. I just think the old ones left something to be desired. I mean, 5 minutes of Wahlberg going over the same lines OVER and over again....mind you it was funny when him and Guzman started laughing it up. The transfer too, is a lot better than the previous version.

I guess sometimes we get a bit jaded when certain releases "spoil" us with wild extras. (case in point: T2 ultimate edition) You're not too wrong when you say that picture and audio should be enough to satisfy us, sometimes we expect more.

'drew
Old 10-03-2000, 03:54 PM
I'm like the next DVD/Movie Fanatic out there...upset because DVD's are so expensive, but also glad they are around...and I love it when they stick 50 different versions of the trailer... and 20 commentaries... and a cazillion making-of features... and bios... and where the actors parents were when they were conceived... and why there was a blade of grass on his shoe when he was running to the important break-up in the rain scene...and deleted scenes that have nothing to do with anything but are just actors rambling on and the director is creaming his pants in the directors commentary for the deleted scenes because the actor is SO great at rambling even though the actor doesn't say anything that means anything and is probably on the verge of a nervous breakdown, but everyone thinks he is acting and it is a great performance and wow he is so great...and the behind the scenes of a bunch of fat union guys pushing around camera equipment with their ass-cracks hanging out of their oversized pants until the STAR decides to come out of his trailer and say a few words before going back for a nap...and how the computer geeks programmed a computer to make explosions with the director and co-producers commentary on the making-of the making-of the making-of sequences...

...but sometimes I just want to watch the film...

[This message has been edited by Brock Landers (edited 10-03-2000).]
Old 06-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Don't be a Menace without Drinking your Juice in the Hood
No commentary, no deleted scenes, no trailers, nada.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:03 PM
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Excellent movie, but the DVD only has a few trailers.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Spider-Man Deluxe Edition. 15 bucks for about 20 minutes of new features...

Nice cover though.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Mulholland Dr.
The DVD doesn't even have a chapter selection and for special features there is a trailer, woo hoo.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fevers
Mulholland Dr.
The DVD doesn't even have a chapter selection and for special features there is a trailer, woo hoo.
I was so disappointed...I love this movie, and would have loved to see some features.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:04 AM
i bought panic room when it first came out ($36 in australia) the only special features that were on the dvd were filmographies and a teaser trailer. it was a great movie, but i don't think it was worth it for the money i spent.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
I agree 100% on this one. The region 2 version is slightly better than the region 1 version, basically because the region 2 version has the added bonus of having deleted scenes.

A longer documentary about the making of the movie, a in depth interview with Bret Easton Ellis, the deleted scenes, and a Bale commentary would no doubt make a great start for an "American Psycho: Special Edition" DVD.

I enjoyed the deleted scenes from the Boogie Nights DVD though. Although I do agree that the Becky Barnette scene is the best, my 2nd fav is without a doubt the Dirk/Brock, Maurice/Chico scene.
The fuck ups are hilarious, especially the "specific" bit, and it also paints a picture that Dirk is an even worse actor than previously thought. Though he is great when compared to Johnny Doe!

Although the John C. Files are alright, the best one is definately "Mixing with Nick".

"Maybe you've been doing way too much LSD, because your ears are just FUCKED....................you know?"
Old 06-06-2004, 11:52 AM
YUP the muholland Drive doesen't have chapter selections...that's just sad. Also, the F13 box set because they are most likely going to be cut which blows huge donkey dick (Fuck paramount once again), Don't be a menace (one of my fav. and deserves some a SE) and i'll add some more laaaaaaaaater
Old 06-06-2004, 11:53 AM
OH YEAH! how can i forget HALF BAKED! NO special features...what's up with that???
Old 06-06-2004, 01:43 PM
The Divimax version of Time Bandits, i was so excited about this because I thought it would be packed with extras. Instead it had the directors show on Gilliam, which is nice but I already owned it (so I gave it to my boyfriend) and most of all NO COMMENTARY. So I'm still going to have to splurge on the Criterion eventually I mean the transfer is great, but I wanted that commentary bad.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
I was most dissapointed with the lack of special features on
Kill Bill: volume 1.

All that was extra was a bonus musical performances by The 5,6,7,8s. It was crap becasue it didn't even seem like there microphones were on.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Well there was the featurette, which was short but still pretty good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peppy
I was most dissapointed with the lack of special features on
Kill Bill: volume 1.

All that was extra was a bonus musical performances by The 5,6,7,8s. It was crap becasue it didn't even seem like there microphones were on.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:09 PM
If Paramount fucks us over with a laclluster Friday the 13:th boxset that isnīt uncut.

Letīs boycot them if so are the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:01 PM
21 Grams and Kill Bill: Volume 1
Old 06-13-2004, 11:55 PM
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly CE

All I have to say....Where the hell is Eastwood? No commentary track from his break out role movie? What the fuck?!?!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
ditto.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:33 AM
there has been a lot, but most recently it has been 21 grams. a **** movie with nothing! BAH

WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 06-14-2004, 08:48 AM
The new Pitch Black DVD was pretty disappointing. All of the extras are fluff.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:35 PM
club dread.....u mean to tell me there were no deleted scenes or outtakes????!!!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:07 PM
The Rules of Attraction

Being John Malkovich (calling the extras "Special features" is giving it too much credit)
Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 PM
BLADE RUNNER

The most overdue dvd of all time, damned to wallow in the pits of bare-bone hell for all eternity.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Invader Zim Vol. 1

You can't even select which episode you want to watch, you have to go into the chapter selection and do it manually. Also, there's too much compression. I try to watch it but it stops on some episodes and the screen goes crazy. Terrible DVD, don't buy it, please.