Old 03-29-2003, 01:31 PM
J.D. Salinger's Works

Catcher in The Rye: My favorite book of all time. Holden is my hero, and the whole book is hilarious and perfectly world weary.

Franny & Zooey: A slightly better written book than CitR, but I don't like the characters quite as much. Still absolutely brilliant.

Raise High The Roof Beam, Carpenters: A 90 page story about Buddy Glass. Well-written, just like the rest. Really kinda gives you the full Glass family picture.

Seymour: An Introduction: Utter crap. Sorry, J.D., but you screwed up here. I, for one, don't want to read a one-hundred page apology to your editor.

Nine Stories: I haven't read it in a while, but I remember that I thought "A Perfect Day for Bananafish", "The Laughing Man", and "Teddy" were brilliant, while the rest were just good. I'll need to read it again, though.

Overall, the man has only written one really bad piece of work, which puts him at the top of my author list.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:27 PM
The Catcher In The Rye is so brilliant.

I just bought Franny & Zooey today actually, don't know when I'll get around to reading it.

I will be buying Nine Stories as soon as I finish Franny & Zooey.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:29 PM
I've read The Catcher in the Rye, guess what? My favourite book too! I can really relate to Holden Caulfield, I guess quite a lot of people have. Also I've read Franny and Zooey, good book and all.

Too bad, there will never be a movie based on The Catcher in the Rye, ever! Mr. Salinger will make sure of that with his lawyers and all. If only he didn't hate My Foolish Heart (1949) so much. Oh, well.

Last edited by Slim; 04-17-2003 at 07:33 PM..
Old 04-27-2003, 12:39 AM
i've only read catcher in the rye and that was enough,the man is brilliant at writing,as it easily took the cake and is now my favorite book.