Old 04-02-2003, 12:15 AM
What does LOTR symbolize?

I need this for school, so doesn't the LOTR books symbolize the rise of Industry or something?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Re: What does LOTR symbolize?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregorious8
I need this for school, so doesn't the LOTR books symbolize the rise of Industry or something?

thats one view if you want to look at it that way.

i always looked on being more biblical in nature.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:29 PM
i'm with both quoth and greg, though i'd say the silmarillion is far more biblical than lotr.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Lyrik
i'm with both quoth and greg, though i'd say the silmarillion is far more biblical than lotr.

true. i havent read that since i was 12, i must get around to it again.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 PM
I read somewhere that tolkein didn't want the books to be viewed as symbolism.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:53 AM
I remember a program that made a good argument about the LOTR being Tolkien's view of WW2.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by electriclite
I remember a program that made a good argument about the LOTR being Tolkien's view of WW2.
I read that to. Like Mordor being Berlin (The Hornet's Nest), the Alliance of Man being the Allies, the Ring being the Hydrogen Bomb, Sauron being Hitler, etc
Old 04-07-2003, 03:39 PM
LOTR symbolizes the killing of Orcs with sharp and pointy things. Maybe you could use that?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TATU
LOTR symbolizes the killing of Orcs with sharp and pointy things. Maybe you could use that?

lol. straight to the point.

oh god, that was an awful pun!

Old 04-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Tolkien himself has said that LOTR wasn't about WW2, in fact, I believe he started it way before WW2. It just took him a while to finsh. in fact it was never even planned, he wrote The Hobbit as a standalone childrens fable for his kids, and after that becmae succesful, he sat down and thought " How can I make an even renotely strong follow up to The Hobbit?" and then it hit him- The ring.

I believe thats how it happened. Need to check my Tolkien bio sometime soon.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dignan
Tolkien himself has said that LOTR wasn't about WW2, in fact, I believe he started it way before WW2. It just took him a while to finsh. in fact it was never even planned, he wrote The Hobbit as a standalone childrens fable for his kids, and after that becmae succesful, he sat down and thought " How can I make an even renotely strong follow up to The Hobbit?" and then it hit him- The ring.

I believe thats how it happened. Need to check my Tolkien bio sometime soon.
That was how it started, according to the special features on the Rings discs. He hated people trying to find any hidden subtexts in his writing, even though sometimes it's too obvious not to disregard