Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2003, 05:46 PM
The Official Schmoe's Book of the Month Club

This is the trial run of the Schmoe's Book of the Month Club. For the first run we will all decide on a book, and we will all have 4 weeks or a month to read it. We can have discussions and whatnot while in the process of reading it and once we are done. Since this only an internet message board, please be sure to use SPOILERS when talking about the books.

Now, all of those who want to sign up can do it in this thread and can suggest a book, and we can all hopefully decide on one. Please stick to fiction, and something you think would spur discussion. Please read all suggestions made before yours and consider them so we can have some sort of consensus. If anybody has suggestions on ways to select the book please feel free to give them.

I sign up and I suggest we read The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:15 PM
John Irving...The same John Irving that wrote The Cider House Rules? Interesting decision, I'd go for that...

Here are a few of my suggestions:

Orlando (Or Mrs Dalloway)- Virginia Woolf
Schindlers Ark- Thomas Keneally
Glamorama- Brett Easton Ellis
Stupid White Men- Michael Moore
Bitten- Kerry Armstrong (not sure on author)
Old 04-14-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm in.

My choice is Blood Crazy by Simon Clark (the best horror novel written in the last decade)

Or alternatively I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (the best horror novel...period).
Old 04-14-2003, 07:12 PM
I think we might have a hard time choosing the book. Anybody know of a way we can all have input into the choice but without having so many different choices and everybody ending up just voting for their choice?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:30 PM
We could put forward our selections (one per person) and actually let Joblo himself decide?

I dont know...

In any case, my ONE book nomination would be Bitten by Kerry Armstrong.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:37 PM
How about this. Each schmoe involved selects a book. I write down the name of each book and put them into a hat (or some equally appropriate receptacle). I then pull a piece of paper from said receptacle and whatever is written thereon is the book that we all shall read. I promise that I can be trusted not to lie and say that I pulled my choice. I just wouldn't do that (and anyway...i'd rather read something I haven't read before...my choice would be somthing i've read). How does this sound?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
How about this. Each schmoe involved selects a book. I write down the name of each book and put them into a hat (or some equally appropriate receptacle). I then pull a piece of paper from said receptacle and whatever is written thereon is the book that we all shall read. I promise that I can be trusted not to lie and say that I pulled my choice. I just wouldn't do that (and anyway...i'd rather read something I haven't read before...my choice would be somthing i've read). How does this sound?
That's fine with me. I say that as soon as there are ten people signed up and ten suggestions then it should be chosen.

So far we have suggested:

The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving
Blood Crazy by Simon Clark
Bitten by Kerry Armstrong
Old 04-14-2003, 09:13 PM

Yeah, I think we can trust Psychocandy... well, at least I hope so

Okay, my suggestion is Big Sur by Jack Kerouac ...it's been lying on my shelf for months now and I definitely wanna read it asap.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:04 AM
I suggested this in the other thread but how about The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:42 AM
I sign up, and my suggestion is Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
Old 04-15-2003, 05:45 PM
This is gonna take forever...how bout out of the books we've named PsychoCandy picks one out of the hat or whatever?
Old 04-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Whoops! I found out that the book I nominated (Bitten) is buy KELLEY Armstrong, not KERRY. Here's a plot synopsis:

From dangerous back alleys to the dark, luscious forests of New York State, BITTEN is as exciting and seductive as its heroine: a gripping, silver-bullet-paced thriller with a brilliant supernatural twist. 'It's terrific. The heroine is the most appealing I have come across in ages. It's clever, quirky, hip and funny. More please!' - Joanne Harris, author of CHOCOLAT 'A hair-raising story for the she-wolf in us all' Shannon Olson, author of WELCOME TO MY PLANET
Old 04-15-2003, 06:24 PM
I have Bitten sitting in a pile of books in the corner of my room that i've been meaning to plough my way through for some time. I also have access to all the other books mentioned either through friends or I own them myself.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:41 PM
If you want to Psychocandy, you can go ahead and do your thing.

here's what been suggested:

The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving
Blood Crazy by Simon Clark
Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Big Sur by Jack Kerouac
The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis
Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
Old 04-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Damn...

Um...

Ok...

Erm...

Y'all ain't gonna believe this. Blood Crazy came out of the bag first. I swear.

Just in case you all think this may have been rigged...i'll happily go with the second one I pulled out of the bag if you all feel that's the best option.

The second book I pulled was The Scewtape Letters.

It's up to y'all.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:03 PM
I believe you when you say that is was coincidence. But, if I had to choose between those two I would choose Screwtape Letters. Either one is fine with me though.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SubMethod
Either one is fine with me though.
Ditto. However, if I had to choose I'd also pick The Screwtape Letters.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:52 PM

I ordered a copy of both from Amazon.com just now, so either one really is fine by me. I'll read them both anyways. They were cheap too. One was only 0.75 used.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:02 AM
I changed my mind. If I had to pick I would choose Blood Crazy. I've never read a horror novel, and I want to expand my horizons a little.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:44 AM
I want in on this

The screwtape letters sounds like a good plan......
Old 04-16-2003, 05:47 AM
It has to be Screwtape Letters, because the one by Simon Clark is not even published in Spain.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:05 PM
I'm SO in on this (if that's ok with you lot)...

I've been hankering for a good read and this is just the ticket!!!

Both choices sound dandy IMO!!!

My contribution...

Barcelona Plates - Alexei Sayle (a collection of short stories)

Old 04-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Sounds great to me (if that's ok with the people who are already "in" )

I'll read anything ...someone just has to make it clear what it is...

My suggestion, is

A Widow for One Year by John Irving
Old 04-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by damned martian
It has to be Screwtape Letters, because the one by Simon Clark is not even published in Spain.
Ok. The Screwtape Letters it is then.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 PM
I'll pick up a copy tomorrow. Are we just going to discuss it as we read or divide up the chapters for certain times to avoid spoilers?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:46 PM
I think we should just discuss it as we progress. But make sure to us spoiler warnings for however many chapters you have read. Unless everybody else wants to do it the other way. Either way is fine with me.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Quote:
I think we should just discuss it as we progress. But make sure to us spoiler warnings for however many chapters you have read. Unless everybody else wants to do it the other way. Either way is fine with me.
Your way makes more sense
Old 04-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Count me in!

I'm up for whatever you guys pick..

just for the hat..

~John Irving'd go over well.. ...OWEN MEANY MIGHT BE A BIT OF FUN TO READ TOGETHER! ()
Graham Greene-May We Borrow Your Husband? (its a collection of short stories..)
Old 04-16-2003, 11:46 PM
To be fair to damned martian who can't get a copy of one of the books as easily as others, the first book for the Schmoe's Book of the Month Club will be...

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Old 04-16-2003, 11:50 PM
I'll get right on it!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:00 AM
Quote:
To be fair to damned martian who can't get a copy of one of the books as easily as others, the first book for the Schmoe's Book of the Month Club will be...

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Thanks! I'll look for it on Saturday, today and tomorrow is holyday here.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:06 AM
I like the idea, but can’t participate this time cos I have no way of getting that book. But if this thing takes off, can we do “The Hours” sometime? I’m still in awe of this book. Can we? Pretty please?
Old 04-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trinity
I like the idea, but can’t participate this time cos I have no way of getting that book. But if this thing takes off, can we do “The Hours” sometime? I’m still in awe of this book. Can we? Pretty please?
But of course, Milady! Your wishes are orders to me!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Quote:
But of course, Milady! Your wishes are orders to me!
Why, thank you martian. Hopefully the others will be up for it too.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:53 PM
I think it works by a roullete type system. Where all the selections are put into a hat and psychocandy pulls out one which will become the book of the month
Old 04-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
I think it works by a roullete type system. Where all the selections are put into a hat and psychocandy pulls out one which will become the book of the month
Yeah, but next month we can include that book too, I do want to read it too
Old 04-17-2003, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Yeah, but next month we can include that book too, I do want to read it too
Do read it by all means, it is amazing. Unfortunately, I had to read the Serbain translation, since I couldn't find the original.
Have you seen the movie btw? I think it's great also, though not quite on the same level as the book.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trinity
Have you seen the movie btw? I think it's great also, though not quite on the same level as the book.
7.5/10 It gave me the feeling that the book must be very good, but the movie lacks a bit of sensibility, it didn't get to my heart as it had to.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Sorry schmoes! I've made a boo-boo...

I had £10 today and forgot about the schmoe book group, no money left to buy The Screwtape Letters! I could always go to the library...
Old 04-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Quote:
7.5/10 It gave me the feeling that the book must be very good, but the movie lacks a bit of sensibility, it didn't get to my heart as it had to.
Oh, I really connected with it a lot on a personal level. But I read the book before I saw the movie (after too, it's just that good) - and it does offer a lot more insight into the characters, especially Laura Bown, who's story is the most internal. But I thought Julianne did a great job with her, she had very little dialogue and had to bring this character's inner thoughts and emotions to life mostly just with body language and facial expessions. She really is amazing to watch, she does wonders with her eyes alone, I feel like I can literlly see inside the character. The movie does make some (mostly minor) changes, but I felt it captured the book's essence very well.