Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2003, 07:09 PM
Two of the best science fiction books essentially forgotten

About two years ago I was talking to a friend that loved science fiction. I like science fiction too if its good. He then gave me two books he loved but had never heard of. They were Mockingbird and The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis

The Man Who Fell to Earth people might have heard of as it was a movie with David Bowie. If you can read the book it is so much better. I've never quite read a book like this. Its subtle almost meditative but immensely powerful. The science fiction aspect is layed down as the book becomes a fable for lonliness. Very simple in its plot structure but it has so many levels. And the endding is just heart-breaking.

Mockingbird

Amazing amazing book! A kind of pseudo-sequle to Farhenheight 431. Essentially instead of destroying books the art of writing and the concept of the word itself has been lost. One man one day finds some writing and it goes form there. If yu saw the recent movie Equlibrium it has shades of that except this as subtle and melancholy as you can get. I don't know if the author was a depressed person or what. But the future is a sad place. The world is falling apart as people are doped p on happy drugs and the androids meant to do menial tasks are falling apart too. Simply amazing powerful book.

By the way if Mockingbird was made into a movie it would ahve the perfect final shot.

Has anybody read these?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:58 PM
anybody read these?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:57 AM
if anybody like science fiction they should read this. Im surprised somebody hasnt been that one of them inpired a film.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Have you ever read the book Flowers for Algernon??
Old 05-10-2003, 08:02 PM
no why do you ask
Old 05-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Thats a sci-fi classic that was also essentially forgotten over time.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:51 AM
Ive heard of the book. I didn't know it was science fiction though
Old 05-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Ive heard of the book. I didn't know it was science fiction though
Kind of, there's no spaceships or laser gun fights but it does have to do with a wild crazy kind of brainsuurgery to make you smarter.