Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM
The Americans Season 2

The Americans, along with Hannibal, had one of the best debut seasons in recent memory. Not getting a lot of chatter around these parts (searched for a season 1 thread with no luck), so I figured I'd hype it up before the second season begins.

The marketing for their second outing has been excellent; this is how you do teasers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbr8...yer_detailpage

Last edited by Delmont ; 01-23-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM
For whatever crazy ass reason, I was always under the impression that this was a 30 min dramedy. Imdb informed me of my mistake, and I've since seen that it's a straight 60 min drama. I'm going to check out the series premiere tonight, maybe. I need a new binge show
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Just watched the first two episodes. Holy shit, this is pretty damn good! Both Rhys and Russell kill it.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Just watched the first two episodes. Holy shit, this is pretty damn good! Both Rhys and Russell kill it.
It's a pretty confident show right from the jump.

As you mention, both of the principles are fantastic, and as the season progresses I think you'll be more and more impressed with Noah Emmerich as Stan. The spycraft is always fairly grounded and packs a brutal punch, but the marriage material is just as effective. The writers have an excellent grasp on the story (expertly managing a narrative balance between KGB, FBI, and domestic happenings), but I think my high admiration for the show boils down to the fact that the focus is always in service of these characters.

For those of you have Amazon Prime, the first season is streaming for free. It comes with my highest recommendation; as a matter of fact, after a recent re-watch, the show has worked its way into my top 4 or 5 of 2013 (no easy feat considering the competition).

Last edited by Delmont ; 02-21-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM
What an incredible premiere; this show is so damn good.

I shudder to think what tragic consequence may await Martha in the event that Clark suddenly loses his hair piece in the throes of fake passion. If that bus boy is any indication, it could get ugly.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
There's something weird about being an American and watching a show in which the protagonists are Russian spies covertly operating in America. Don't get me wrong, the Cold War is old news and I wouldn't go as far as to call the show anti-american, unpatriotic, or anything crazy or extreme like that. I've also read that the series focuses heavily on marriage above all else, but still...As an American, I just don't really want to route for two main characters who are Russian spies. If anything, I'd watch the final episode in the hope that both of them would get captured or killed.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
There's something weird about being an American and watching a show in which the protagonists are Russian spies covertly operating in America. Don't get me wrong, the Cold War is old news and I wouldn't go as far as to call the show anti-american, unpatriotic, or anything crazy or extreme like that. I've also read that the series focuses heavily on marriage above all else, but still...As an American, I just don't really want to route for two main characters who are Russian spies. If anything, I'd watch the final episode in the hope that both of them would get captured or killed.
The show certainly doesn't ask its audience to sympathize with the KGB's plot to bring America to it's knees, just as The Sopranos never intended to have the actions of its sociopathic mob boss worshiped or the distribution of blue meth celebrated on Breaking Bad.

The following is a minor spoiler revealed in the pilot (shouldn't ruin your enjoyment and it addresses your point):
Spoiler:
One of the main characters,a KGB sleeper agent, is sympathetic to the American way of life and even mentions the idea of defecting/turning themselves in to the FBI.

Like many other popular cable television dramas, The Americans traffic in shades of gray. You don't necessarily have to "be in their camp" to enjoy the show and empathize with its protagonists. That may cause an occasional uncomfortable moment or two of cognitive dissonance, but I'd say give the pilot a go; if you don't dig the first episode, it's probably not for you.

Last edited by Delmont ; 02-27-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
The show certainly doesn't ask its audience to sympathize with the KGB's plot to bring America to it's knees, just as The Sopranos never intended to have the actions of its sociopathic mob boss worshiped or the distribution of blue meth celebrated on Breaking Bad.

The following is a minor spoiler revealed in the pilot (shouldn't ruin your enjoyment and it addresses your point):
Spoiler:
One of the main characters,a KGB sleeper agent, is sympathetic to the American way of life and even mentions the idea of defecting/turning themselves in to the FBI.

Like many other popular cable television dramas, The Americans traffics in shades of gray. You don't necessarily have to "be in their camp" to enjoy the show and empathize with its protagonists. That may cause an occasional uncomfortable moment or two of cognitive dissonance, but I'd say give the pilot a go; if you don't dig the first episode, it's probably not for you.
Sort of like how we love and hate detective Vic Mackey on The Shield? I see what you're saying. I might have to give it a try then.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
Sort of like how we love and hate detective Vic Mackey on The Shield? I see what you're saying. I might have to give it a try then.
Yeah, you may find that you're equally drawn to and disgusted by a character's actions all within the same episode. It's an interesting high wire act, but I'd say the writers pull it off quite well.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Keri Russell has never been as effectively terrifying as she was in the most recent episode of The Americans. She may not have put an end to that maintenance man, but the dead-eyed crowbar wielding Elizabeth had me checking the state of my underwear by the conclusion of that scene.

Matthew Rhys also had a pretty frightening moment with Phillip attempting to scare Paige off the path of discovery. Perhaps it's just the way he's been portrayed as the more nurturing, fun-loving parent, but man, did he ever lay it on thick. His face seemed to contort to display a menace that I don't think I've seen yet, even when executing folks.

I liked the reveal that "Aunt Helen" was feigning dementia and is actually KGB, looking out for 2 of their prized assets. Damn, those Soviets were thorough!

I got the feeling that, along with disposing of the letter, Elizabeth was also burning to ash the hope that Paige and Henry will ever know her.

Prediction: I think Nina is going to put Oleg in the ground by season's end.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 AM
First appearance of Elizabeth and Phillip's new handler and lo and behold, it's Harrow's woman on Boardwalk; I'm looking forward to seeing what she brings to the table. Is it just me or was she giving off a sensual vibe to Phillip? Something about the inflection as she said that she wants to take care of them or see to it that they're happy.

Oleg proves himself to be pretty damn sharp, although you know this can't end well for him. Stan isn't flipping, no way no how. I have a distinct feeling that we're about to see a side of Special Agent Beeman that hasn't been on display since his undercover days in St. Louis.

Man, Phillip had it rough in this episode. Wiping a man's ass and fending off an attack a moment later shouldn't be an entry in anyone's day planner, but for my money, the most brutal assault was the verbal beating he endured from Anton on the way to the docks. What a heart-breaking indictment/plea, especially this bit:

"You're a monster! You're not a man! Whatever you once were, whoever you were, they trained it out of you! No feeling, no humanity, you may as well be dead!"
Old 03-28-2014, 01:52 AM
And it's sticking with him, too.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Stan seemed to be very pleased with the results of the polygraph, but that direct look she gave him as she was answering the questions about Vlad would've most definitely given me pause.

Great wig week for Phillip, by the way. That Janitor Jesus look was hilarious until the horror movie reveal in the computer lab.