Old 05-02-2003, 10:36 PM
The Usual Suspects - (6/10)

Review is based on a quick/single viewing of the flick. A second viewing will be most likely needed.

The Usual Suspects - (6/10)
Info: (1995) R, Gabriel Bryne, Kevin Spacey, Stephen Baldwin
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Comments: Probably the most popular movie that I havent seen. Until now! However I was very dissapointed after a first viewing. I just could not somehow get into this flick and it took a kick ass ending to save it. In TUS, five men are assembled to pull off certain tasks that undermine the law until they become aware of a "Kyser Soze" person who they fear. This person makes them pull off a big task that seems impossible. The story itself took some time to get comfortable with. I thought the first half of the movie was way to slow, even for a drama. The setting, the mood, and the characters just never seemed to grab me at all. The only actor that did so was Kevin Spacey, as he does in all of his movies. Otherwise, the other characters were nothing compared to him. Another problem I had with the film was that during the same year a similar thriller called Se7en was released and was awesome. It felt like Usual Suspects paced just like se7en did and I was dissapointed. It also seems like Kevin Spacey's role was similar... without giving away to many spoilers. After it was over I felt the kick ass twist ending was the only thing worth watching the movie for which is true, however I have to rate this movie as a whole and with that I was dissapointed.

Acting - 8/10 (Very solid. Even Stephen Baldwin put in a good performance. Spacey, like always, steals the show.)
Violence/Gore - 7/10 (Not incredibly violent but there are scenes with blood splatter on the walls and some gory gunshots.)
T&A - 1/10 - (Some hints at sex, but nothing extreme at all)
Old 05-03-2003, 01:38 AM
5/10

One of the most overrated films ever made. The film does have a few decent performances, but the story and "twist" are so damn lame, it is not funny. I don't enjoy this film at all.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:20 AM
I give "Suspects" a 8.5/10. Its a great movie, despite some slow parts. It's probably one of the most suspensful dramas I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Movies that keep you suspensfully guessing up all the way until the VERY end, get my vote for a great film.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:06 PM
This movie was good, but I feel if it wasnt for the excellent ending not nearly as many people would like it as it is a very mediocre movie with one of the best endings in film history!
That being said, the performances are excellent.
7/10
Old 05-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hucksta G
This movie was good, but I feel if it wasnt for the excellent ending not nearly as many people would like it as it is a very mediocre movie with one of the best endings in film history!
That being said, the performances are excellent.
7/10
Of course, like i've said in many, many other posts i feel the exact opposite...i feel too many people focus on the ending. For me the entire film from beginning to end was vastly entertaining. The dialogue, wittiness, etc - all there. The music, the lines, the way the ensemble cast interacted together...perfect. In my opinion, the ending adds to the film (like Unbreakable), but is not needed to enjoy the film (unlike Sixth Sense which needs the twist to be a good movie really).

And anyway, if it WAS just the ending that made me like this movie, surely it wouldn't have had such a great effect on me. THIS is the movie that honestly, (and I can't even to this day figure out how) turned me into a movie fan overnight. Just watching it until about 3:00am in the morning, and then the ending topped my already favorite movie off perfectly. I seriously just sat there for about 30 minutes just thinking about the movie, and the next day, I got up, and started renting movies.

10/10.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:00 PM
I too focused on the ending. Yes, i did pay attention to the rest of the film but it didn't do to much for me. Movies with twists are getting a little boring now. And this was back in 1995.

6/10
Old 05-08-2003, 08:53 PM
It wasn´t that good.Very overrated, the ending was the only thing I liked.Spacey was amazing, as usual.

6/10 or 5/10.