Old 05-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Al Pacino

Probably been done before but the guy just got voted the Greatest Movie Star Of All Time on Channel Four (English Channel).

So just wondering what you lot think of that?

For me...it's hard to give a bigger yay to anybody else.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:39 AM

I wouldn't say he's the greatest movie star of all time. But IMO he's the BEST actor working today. He can be quiet, yet subtle. And when he's mad, he plays it right down to the bone. This man can do no wrong in my book. Very intense and powerful performer, one of my biggest idols. Plus, he created one of the most memorable characters (Michael Corleone) in cinema history and of course I'd have to give him credit for that.

A gigantic YAY!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:10 AM
YAYYYYYYY, no question.

One of my favorite actors ever, amazing emotional acting, amazing mimics, amazing work all the time! He's just b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:40 PM

Just a little question...

Does anybody know what the first real big film for him? Like his breakthrough. I bought Dog Day Afternoon on DVD a few weeks back and he is amazing (and very young) in that...just wondering if there was any break-through films for him before that.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:53 PM
YAY! YAY! YAY! Best. Actor. Ever.

Quote:
Originally posted by bedhead_dl
Just a little question...

Does anybody know what the first real big film for him? Like his breakthrough. I bought Dog Day Afternoon on DVD a few weeks back and he is amazing (and very young) in that...just wondering if there was any break-through films for him before that.
Dog Day Afternoon is a 1975 movie. His break came with The Godfather in 1972, though some people (Coppola included) noticed his great performance in Panic In Needle Park the year before... but his mainstream break came with The Godfather
Old 05-07-2003, 01:35 PM

He's my favourite actor so that says it all.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Godfather was 1972???

Woah...didn't know that it was THAT early.

Thanks.

*slaps forhead*
Old 05-07-2003, 02:25 PM
yep Pacino is a great actor..no doubt about it. Though he seems to be "coasting" in some of his recent films. But hey even when he's coasting, Al's still better than most actors.

Last edited by Cunning Visions; 05-07-2003 at 03:59 PM..
Old 05-07-2003, 03:06 PM
One of my favorite actors of all time. Never fails to impress me.

Old 05-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Anyone who says Nay isn't a real movie fan. The guy is my second favorite actor (after Toshiro Mifune), and his performance in Dog Day is my favorite performance of all time.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:18 PM
I am not a pacino fan

i think his work in dog day afternoon and godfather 1 and 2 were admirable and subtle..charasmatic

but he is a horrendous charicature who hasnt made a truly great performance in years..

ironicall gaining an oscar for his absolute worst movie scent of a woman

must try harder al
Old 05-11-2003, 08:30 PM
an awesome actor. Even when he's in some mediocre movies his acting always shines through. He's now on Broadway now with Marisa Tomei in Oscar Wilde's Salome on Broadway(staged reading). I saw him perform on stage once before live and in person(The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui by Bertolt Brecht) and he was amazing. If you ever get a chance to see him on stage by all means go. He's just as good there as he is in film.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Is there any question at all? Al Pacino is one of the finest actors working today, and most likely one of the finest of all time. Sure, he may be over-the-top a little bit too often, but he has great presence, and he defines cool. A big YAY!
Old 05-17-2003, 09:25 PM
THEE greatest actor ever. All that needs to be said!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:13 AM
nay
Old 05-18-2003, 04:36 PM
My second favorite actor! So A Big YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2003, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
nay
Howcome?
Old 05-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Hmmm, Yay of course. I enjoy his Pacino schtick, but he seems to be a Michael Corleone type in almost every movie he does. Whether he plays a mob boss, a bank robber, a drug dealer, or a cop.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:45 AM
Yay it is. Well, I suppose my choice is biased b'cos AP is my fav actor, I've practically seen almost all his movies & grew up watching him. Of course, there will be those who argue for Robert DeNiro as well. AP's early performances were standard setting barometers, e.g Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, & The Godfather. My guess is he should have won the best actor oscar for these roles rather than "Scent" & nobody, IMO, who have questioned it then.

The thing is AP will probably never scale the heights attained in those movies, b'cos the standards which he himself set were also courtesy of good scripts & damned good directors, Francis Ford & Sidney Lumet. You don't have talented directors in their mould today. AP's performance through-out the 90s and last 3 years have been good enough to sustain his legend, but I don't think he will be able to better the early days work.

Rock on Al!
Old 05-25-2003, 04:37 AM
Definite YAY! Greatest actor ever, tied with Robert DeNiro. And proved he could direct, too.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:26 AM
Fuckin Y A Y !!!

Best actor ever! His Michael Corleone performance in each of the three Godfather movies are near-perfect.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bedhead_dl
Howcome?
I really don't know, I just don't like him. None of his acting performances impressed me to be honest with you, I just like DeNiro better.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:16 AM
He and De Niro are in a class of their own. Peerless actors both.
Greatest movie STAR ever? no, I see that as a very different thing.

Of course Carlito's Way has been my favourite ilm for a long time and thats almost entirely down to Pacino. Shame the Oscar was for the wrong film "hoo hah".
Old 05-30-2003, 05:28 PM

Big yay from me. Some people won't stop bitching about how he over-acts, but he only does when it's necessary. His performances in The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, and Dog Day Afternoon are among the greatest ever captured on film. Also, I know it's been said before, but the man knows how to act with just his eyes...take the restaurant hit scene in The Godfather, for example. Intense. I don't think he is the best actor ever like some of you said he was, but he's up there for sure.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:28 AM
I've never met anyone who didn't like him, I think the guy is a fucking incredible actor, one of my favorites. (I can't rate because I have hundreds upon hundreds of favorites).
Old 06-14-2003, 07:23 PM
He's quite captivating so YAY. And for some reason I find him attractive... can't put my finger on why.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:14 PM
One of the greatest.
My personal Top 10 favorite Pacino performances:
1. Glengarry Glen Ross
2. Dog Day Afternoon
3. The Godfather
4. Serpico
5. Devil's Advocate
6. The Godfather 2
7. The Godfather 3 (I didn't hate this movie nerly as much as everyone else seems to and I thought Pacino was brilliant as always in this movie)
8. And Justice For All
9. Heat
10. Scarface

honorable mention: Dick Tracy
Old 06-15-2003, 12:34 AM
Pacino is the man. Great Actor.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:34 PM
He was great all the way up to Scarface/Carlito's Way.

After that it seems like he played the same character over and over, although I still think he's awesome.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Scarface.
Yay.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:22 PM

YAYY!!

i liked him on the godfather and frankie and johnny
Old 08-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Pacino's the man. I actually bought an Al Pacino shirt to show my appreciation for the man. Greatest actor of all-time. Don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Al Pacino gets a wicked YAY from me. He is a very talented actor and I love him. >.<!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:48 PM
BEST IN THE BIZ!!!!!

YYYYAAAAYYYY
Old 11-06-2003, 09:35 PM
YAY
Old 11-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Excellent actor yay