Old 05-19-2003, 01:04 AM
28 Days Later

anyone have any info on this movie? i just saw the poster at the theater i went to see matrix reloaded. the poster said sumthing like reinventing the zombie movie in a shocking way...sounds kinda interesting...

Last edited by Fettdog; 05-19-2003 at 01:32 PM..
Old 05-19-2003, 01:51 AM
I saw the coming attraction for it. Looks like a post apocolyptic (maybe?) city where the "zombies" seem to be less of the slow stalking kind and more...uh can't think of a good word...
Old 05-19-2003, 03:21 AM
I saw it last night. It's called 28 DAYS LATER and, you're right, it's a post-apocalyptic zombie movie. It's a bit like a Simon Clark novel combined with DAWN and DAY OF THE DEAD with a touch of THE STAND.

It's very scary, suspenseful and gory. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:02 AM
1)O.K, was this thread nessecary?
There are many threads about this flick up and running.

2) This is NOT a zombie movie!!!! It may have creatures similar to zombies, but the "infected" are not zombies.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:17 AM
isnt it a moderators job to determine if a thread is relevant? it seems like some people need to relax...

anyway, im more than excited for this movie, ive heard good and bad things, but that's to be expected. i eagerly await the release...
Old 05-19-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm tired of people pointing out that 28 DAYS LATER isn't a zombie movie. As if we don't know the definition of a zombie. I know the creatures in 28 DAYS LATER aren't technically zombies, but neither are the creatures in any of Romero's movies. The word zombie is just used as a general term in movies like this.

The definition of zombie is a corpse reanimated by witchcraft or voodoo. A zombie is not a creature brought back to life through radiation, a virus or anything else.

And if you want to be REALLY anal about it - a zombie is actually a LIVING being which has had it's will removed - by some types of drugs or by voodoo.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:31 PM
OK, first of all, there hasn't been a posting about 28 Days Later for over a month on the board, so I'm going to let this one run with the ball, although if you want to see the previous 'live' thread, then look no further than here...........

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...ght=days+later

Secondly, the debate over whether this is a zombie film or not is kinda interesting. In my book, despite the fact that the 'rage' infected humans are still alive, the fact that they have undergone an irrevocable transformation into something that is less then human, places them for all intents and purposes in the 'zombie' club.

As EoghainFOKeeffe pointed out, the origin of the term 'zombie' is in fact the island of Haiti (where voodoo is also generally acknowleged to have originated) where human beings are transformed from being alive into a kind of drugged stupour by way of a blend of herbs and other narcotic substances. The important distinction here is that they are not dead - they zombie state is the result of them effectively being completely paralysed and then buried alive for a period of 24 hours. When they are dug up, more often than not their sanity has snapped, rendering them as shambling hulks.

See Wes Craven's The Serpent And The Rainbow for full details - or better still read the book that it's based on - truth is indeed stranger than fiction in this case Schmoes!

The zombies of Romero-lore are in fact the 'undead', and have already died before being brought back to life, hence they are not true 'zombies' as such.

Anyway, it's all a matter of semantics really, as we all love a kick-ass zombie film, whether they conform to the 'rules' or not!

I've seen 28 Days Later, and it rocks! Yeah, it plays like a homage to Romero for most of its' running time and loses a bit of steam in the last 40 minutes, but it's still the best horror movie to come out of the UK for a good few years! If you like your zombies/undead then this movie is for you!
Old 05-19-2003, 04:35 PM
how have u guys seen this movie already? is it like resident evil/better? cuz i liked resident evil for a "zombie" movie
Old 05-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tightywhitey411
how have u guys seen this movie already? is it like resident evil/better? cuz i liked resident evil for a "zombie" movie
Some of us have seen it because it got a cinema release in the UK about six months ago. Oh...and from what i've seen of it it's nothing like Resident Evil. I think it will be better than Resident Evil though. I'll be able to confirm that within the next couple of days. I'm gonna buy it on DVD.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:14 PM
I hope its as good as ive read, ill be getting the DVD soon and waiting till its dark to watch it
Old 05-20-2003, 05:06 AM
.....Naaah, I don`t want to argue actually, but I would just call it a post-apocalyptic horror movie.
And I really liked the movie. It has somewhat broader and more intelligent feel to it than the Hollywood movies. I loved the visuals also: It`s cool how the movie is filmed with digital cameras, but also is kinda rusty and grainy. And I also think it has an apropriate pace - it fits the movie perfectly IMO. I`m going to buy it on DVD for sure too....
Old 05-20-2003, 08:46 AM
I'm getting my REGION 2 DVD of 28 DAYS LATER tomorrow from AMAZON.CO.UK. It shipped last week. Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:22 AM
its not that good, i was very disappointed in it, the ending blows imo

fixed

Last edited by the_ultimate_evil; 05-21-2003 at 12:06 PM..
Old 05-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Dude, ok no.1 watch your spelling errors and no.2 - watch your words on stuff like ' the ending blows' - want to make sure you add a **spoilers** comment in case some schmoes are afraid you are going to go into a tyrade about the plot.

Just watchin' out for the youngens.

Either way, it's a zombie a/k/a undead person movie and I can't wait to see it. I understand this did well in England. How was the business? Was it released on a lot of screens?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Come on , you shouldn't need a spoiler warning for stating the ending blows .

This does sound good , but my expectations are somewhat tempered by the last 40 minutes loses steam comment . Hope that's not true , i'll have to see for myself . No matter , " zombies " on the big screen is always welcome , they will always be a potent metaphor for the denizens of society walking around in a daze , stripped down to their basic physical motivations , uninhibited , fearless , ravenous , violent and all that other nice stuff . Kind of like the fans at American football games .
Old 05-20-2003, 06:58 PM
im convinced this movie will be good. how do i know this?

trainspotting.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:12 PM
i believe this is coming out to theaters in july. not positive though.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:09 PM
I agree that Trainspotting was good, and the director definitely has talent. But he also did The Beach, and I didn't like that movie either. Then again I suppose it's all about the story line too. I do think this one will be enjoyable
Old 05-21-2003, 03:16 AM
Out of Danny Boyles' and Andrew McDonalds' previous movies, only THE BEACH was bad. And it wasn't badly directed - the script was the main culprit. Just because a team made a bad movie once boesn't mean they can't come back with a great movie.

Boyle and McDonald also made SHALLOW GRAVE (one of the best horror/thrillers of all time), TRAINSPOTTING (very good but grim) and A LIFE LESS ORDINARY (a really great and criminally under-appreciated movie).

By the way, 28 DAYS LATER is written by Alex Garland (author of THE BEACH) and it's a million times better. I wonder what happened to John Hodge? Hodge wrote the scripts for SHALLOW GRAVE, A LIFE LESS ORDINARY and, I think, TRAINSPOTTING. Did he have some falling-out with Boyle and McDonald?
Old 05-21-2003, 03:19 AM
Zombie movie or not this movie is going to be a gory horror flick and that is always a plus in my book.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:35 AM
If they talk , run , or attack in an organized fashion , i may lose interest very qickly . It works in films like Zombie 3 , Return of the Living Dead , Bio Zombie , Bio Cops , and Wild Zero , but i doubt it will work in a " serious " zombie / viral infection film .

They better not have some zombie leader that takes control after the chaos ensues . Don't blame the virus on the Government , a life form from space , voodoo , environmental toxins , or global warming , that's all already been done before .

This is from comingsoon.com :

Release Date: June 27, 2003 (Sneak Preview: June 13 (28 markets)) Doesn't say where the sneak preview will be showing , probably in major cities , like always , NYC , LA , Miami , San Fran , Seattle , etc ......
Old 05-21-2003, 10:33 AM
In that case, dellamorte, you will definitely like it!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:04 PM
When I heard that the infected people were going to be fast, I was pessimistic about it too, but after seeing the film, I understood that it was better than slow people attacking you.
And IMO the infected may look like zombies and may classify as zombies too, but it`s better not to classify the movie as a zombie movie ( like "I don`t like that they made the zombies fast"), because as I see it, the people behind the movie weren`t making a zombie movie (though it has many nods to zombie classics)
As it is stated in the Making Of.. and a couple of times in the movie - the people are infected with rage. They turn into crazed animals who only want to destroy everithing in their sight. And yes, they think as crazed animals too - they don`t plan things or talk, but they notice things, like "if I climb over the fence, I can get him..."

Last edited by Xipe Totec; 05-21-2003 at 12:07 PM..
Old 05-21-2003, 12:11 PM
the infected will run and be fast
spoilers
u dont have be bitten to be infected its any form of blood transfer

its a good start but as someelse stated the does wind down

spoilers(my viewson the ending only read if u have seen or want to know how the film ends or u have seen it)
the reason i said the ending blows it seems to be a happy ending to make u feel up beat which is totally out of context with the rest of the film, the crash into the gate and it freezes next thing we se if the 3 character happy in a cottage in scotland trying to signal planes WTF it made no sense

its not a bad film its decent, could have been a hell of a lot worse but there are better ones out there

Last edited by the_ultimate_evil; 05-21-2003 at 05:17 PM..
Old 05-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dellamorte dellamore
Come on , you shouldn't need a spoiler warning for stating the ending blows .

Um, no I don't need a spoiler warning, I could just see a snafu building up in the guy cause he hated the ending. And we have all gotten pissed off at bad endings, have we not?

Just gently reminding the dude- that's all.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Can anybody post a picture of one of the zombie dudes from 28 Days Later??? That way we can all judge if they're "real" zombies or not.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by skweemkween
Um, no I don't need a spoiler warning, I could just see a snafu building up in the guy cause he hated the ending. And we have all gotten pissed off at bad endings, have we not?

Just gently reminding the dude- that's all.
who said any where i was pissed off at the end a person can not like and ending, i stated my opinions on y i didnt like the ending in the spoilers above. i just didnt think it fitted with the theme of the film it seemed forced, but thats just my opinion
Old 05-21-2003, 08:25 PM
help.

does anyone know the name of the song at the end of the trailer? (Not the Brian Eno song)
Old 05-22-2003, 02:45 AM
I've closed the other 28 Days Later thread down, as this one seems to be the most up to date one, but for reference the other thread can be found here.............

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...threadid=47898

Your friendly neighbourhood Mod.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the_ultimate_evil
who said any where i was pissed off at the end a person can not like and ending...
'Pissed off at the end' means that you didn't like the end.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Should be getting the DVD any day now , i'll let you know what i think .
Old 05-22-2003, 07:43 AM
OK I can`t post any pictures of these creatures here, but the looks are one of the things that really resembles them to zombies.... I would just advise you not to think of them as zombies, because otherwise some of you could be offended and start talking about that zombies should be slow (that`s pretty much my oppinion too).....I think of the "infected" as completely different creatures, because I don`t want to start comparing them to classic zombies and ruining my image of a really really good movie......or whatever. Don`t mind me, I`m in my babbling mode again.....
Old 05-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Re: help.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler
does anyone know the name of the song at the end of the trailer? (Not the Brian Eno song)
Ask this question over in the music forum. There's a whole thread over there dedicated to finding songs from movies and identifying stuff of that nature.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TATU
Can anybody post a picture of one of the zombie dudes from 28 Days Later??? That way we can all judge if they're "real" zombies or not.
cant find any pictures but there is a picture of a guy on the cover of my fangoria magizine. pretty much they look like people with red eyes, blood running from their orfices ie. eyes, nose, mouth and they drool.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:23 PM
The dude at the end of the movie (the one on a bridge) looked cool as hell.....and waaay creepy.....Now that probably didn`t help much - only people who`ve seen it understand what Im talking about....
But IMO the "infected" make-up was really well done.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:58 PM
I should be gettin the region 2 PAL DVD in the mail this coming week. So excited. If you are region free, you might want to pick this up. Its already out in the UK.

Nick
Old 05-25-2003, 06:57 AM
I just received that version too , i'll be checking it out Wednesday . Better than watching it in the theater , and way more relaxing .
Old 05-25-2003, 01:09 PM
on imdb.com there is a poll asking people which summer movie trailer is the best and 28 days later is beating out jeepers creprs 2 and freddy vs. jason quite a feat if you ask me,i believe its in 4th or 5th place.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:14 PM
I watched my DVD of 28 Days Later last night, and have to say that although I really dug this film the first time around at the theatre, I thought the ending lost a little bit of steam. Having seen it again though, I'm going to revise my opinion. I actually think it carries the story through at a decent pace for the whole movie. Sure, it changes gear at just past the half way point, but I now realise on the second viewing that if they'd carried on the tone and pace of the first half of the movie, then it may have run out of steam a lot sooner!

As for the DVD itself, the deleted scenes (complete with commentraries) are very illuminating, and there are no less than three alternative endings, one of which, admittedly, is very similar to the actual ending, but the other two, and the third in particular, put a whole new slant on the movie.

There's a cool 30 minute 'making of' documentary that was shown on British TV at the time that examines the science behind the movie (and isn't anywhere near as boring as that description makes it sound - in fact it's a fairly frightenig documentary in itself!), a couple of trailers, two nice photo galleries with commentaries, and the jewel in the crown - an honest, informative commentary with director Danny Boyle and writer Alex Garland which throws up numerous fascinating facts and is one of those commentaries that is a joy to listen to.

All in all, a great film (not a classic, but still great) and a well put together DVD - essential for all fans of the zombie genre (despite that fact that, yes, it isn't strictly a zombie movie! (In fact Alex Garland freely admits that he borrowed two very specific scenes from George A Romero - those of you who have seen the movie will know the ones I mean 1 ))

Last edited by Fettdog; 05-25-2003 at 04:17 PM..
Old 05-25-2003, 10:55 PM
When is this movie coming out in the US? I saw a poster for it in my movie theater and am superinterested in seeing it from what everyone is saying it looks awesome.