Old 06-01-2003, 05:08 AM
Robert Ludlum fans?

Hello all,
I was just wondering if there are any Robert Ludlum fans in here. I am currently reading "The Bourne Ultimatum" and I am really enjoying it. I've never read anything else by him, although I did see the "Bourne Identity" with Mat Damon which predates "Ultimatum." It's very easy to follow, much like Clancy, but not. And there's plenty of action. I'm just curious to see what other people think.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:23 AM
I think Ludlum is great. I much prefer him to Clancy because his books have a lot more suspense and action and he doesn't get bogged down in technical details.

I loved all the BOURNE books. I read THE PROMETHEUS DECEPTION recently and that was great too. THE MATARESE CIRCLE is another favourite of mine.

If you have only seen the Matt Damon/Doug Liman movie of THE BOURNE IDENTITY, you're going to be missing out on a lot of background detail that is in the book. In fact, some of ULTIMATUM might not make much sense to you because Bourne in the movie is not the same character he was in the first book. Also, the plot of the movie only resembles the plot of the book for about 20 minutes.

I'm not saying it was a bad movie - I really enjoyed it. But it's only very loosely based on the book.

I reviewed a couple of Ludlum books on my website, recently. It's at eoghain.cjb.net if you're interested!
Old 06-08-2003, 08:46 PM
I really enjoyed The Bourne Identity and The Matarese Circle, but Ludlum repeats himself too much for my taste.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:20 AM
Yeah, I enjoy a good Ludlum book on the beach in the summer. THE BOURNE IDENTITY (and its follow-ups) and THE MATARESE CIRCLE (and its follow-up) are great reads.