Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Sweet! Heatley's locked in with the Sens. Now all that remains is for Redden to get his deal.

Oh yeah, and the Leafs suck and the Sens will be in the Finals again.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
What a day.

Money well spent baby.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Rats. Leafs lose 4-3 in OT. Big day for Heatley, signing the contract and then coming up huge late. There were a lot of positives to draw from, though.

Here's how I saw the game:

Very entertaining game tonight. As either Gord Miller or Pierre Maguire said, it feels like Game 1 of the playoffs, not game 1 of the regular season.

Leafs were the better team for about 45 minutes, then Ottawa came on in the 3rd. Pretty even on the whole, though.

Up front, Sundin/Blake/Antropov were all great.
Stajan got a big goal, but the guy who was awesome in the preseason, Steen, had a bad night tonight when it counted. He always plays better on the road, though. (He had the best +/- in the NHL on the road last year.) So I expect him to come up big tomorrow night. Ponikarovsky had a bad game too.
Kilger did a fine job of standing right beside Heatley as he scored the OT winner. He also didn't play his normal physical game for some reason, and flubbed some good offensive chances... He had a really bad game. I hope we switch him back to winger soon so he can use his physical tools more often. Pohl didn't get much ice time but didn't do much with it either, and Tucker didn't look right. He seemed to have a tough time keeping up, and I'm pretty sure he's hiding an injury that's hampering him. If he's not injured, then he gave a horrible effort.
Newbury/Battaglia/Devereaux did a solid job on the 4th line. Although both Newbury and Battaglia seemed to lose fights to... Wade Redden.
Battaglia definitely lost his, and the whole Newbury/Redden fight wasn't shown because the genius producer at TSN decided to break for a commercial when the fight was obviously just about to start. From what was shown on replay, though, Redden seemed to win it.

On the blueline, Wozniewski and Gill were awesome through 2 periods for the Leafs shutting down Ottawa's top line. They also did an awesome job of pushing the play offensively, too. They each made one glaring mistake in the 3rd, and the tying goal by Heatley came when they and the Stajan/Steen/Ponikarovsky line were running around all over the ice. Still, I really liked what I saw from these two on the whole.
McCabe was actually pretty solid in his own zone, imo, but he continually flubbed the puck on the powerplay and contributed greatly to the 0 for 7 night. White had a pretty good game, imo.
Kaberle and Kubina struggled a bit, and they didn't even have to go up against Heatley/Alfredsson/Spezza for the most part.

In goal, Raycroft had a bad game, but not a horrible one. He made some big stops, but the Alfredsson goal was a little weak, and so was Heatley's game winner. I do have to say, though, that I hated... HATED, the fact that the Leaf fans were getting on Raycroft when it was 1-0. And the goal wasn't even his fault. Tucker made a bad pass with Kubina caught, and Kaberle made a bad play and couldn't contain Vermette, who skated to the face off circle and beat Raycroft with a low wrist shot. Vermette was skating with speed to the face off circle and fired the shot home. On what planet is that Raycroft's fault? If the fans would have started on him once it was 2-0, then fine. It would be nice to cut him a little more slack than that, but whatever, fine. But to get on him after one goal that wasn't even his fault was flat out ignorant. It could be that Raycroft's confidence was low after being jeered when he hadn't made a mistake yet, and it's possible that contributed to Alfredsson's shot getting past him. Raycroft, Toskala, or even hypothetically Luongo don't stand a chance in Toronto if the fans are going to be that ridiculous. The fans might have actually cost the Leafs this game tonight.

Oh well, on to Ottawa, and here's hoping the Leafs start Vesa and he comes up huge on the road. Because it would be tough for him to thrive in the bullshit environment the Leaf fans are giving their goalies right now. I'm hating the fact that 8 of the first 10 Leaf games are at home right now.

Go Leafs Go!

Last edited by ToRontoRon; 10-03-2007 at 10:40 PM..
Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Redden's fights are few and far between, but he always makes sure to get his shots in.

Sens didn't deserve to win the game, but the PK and Gerber kept things close until the middle of the 3rd period, when the Sens suddenly decided to perform. After a disappointing season last year, I was really impressed by both Redden and Meszaros tonight. They look on their game. Phillips and Volchenkov didn't look too smooth, but by the end of the game, they looked good enough. If the defense can solidify some chemistry between linemates, things could go really well this year.

All we need to do is lock up Spezza, and the Sens will have a damn good team for years to come, even if Redden walks. Speaking of which, I've got quite a bit of confidence in him to re-sign, as despite the constant trade rumours and criticism, he still wants to stick around. Of course, he'd have to take less cash than this year, but he may just surprise us all and take a hit in the wallet for the team not long after nearly holding them for ransom.

I've got a good feeling about this year.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 AM
WTF?!?!? 17,610 fans in Detroit?.. Oh sorry, I mean, "Hockeytown." Capacity is 20,066.

I mean it's the home opener against the Stanley Cup champs, and the team that knocked you out last year in the Western Conference Final. How on Earth does Detroit not sell this game out? It's not like the Tigers are in the baseball playoffs. Ok, the Detroit Lions are off to a surprising 3-1 start, but is that really going to impact the gate for Red Wings games that much?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Quick prediction about tonight's game. Last year, I basically guaranteed a victory in Game #2 in Ottawa after losing Game #1 at home, and the Leafs embarrassed the Sens in their home opener 6-0.

This year I feel quite confident with my prediction again. So here it is...

Final score, Sens 4 Leafs 1. The shots will be about 33-17 or so for Ottawa.

Yeah, you read that right. I liked the way the Leafs played last night for the most part, and I'm extremely confident that the team will not only make the playoffs, but coast in, but I don't like their chances tonight.

- Ottawa is going to want to avenge last year's embarrassing home opener.
- Ottawa is also going to be mad for at the very least not outplaying a team they feel they're better than, and will come up with a better effort tonight.
- The Leafs will be a little discouraged with playing a very good game against a great team but coming up short anyways.

I love this year's Leafs team, but it feels like an "L" tonight unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong.

Go Leafs Go!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
The crowd is going to be insane, what with the banner raising.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Well with Healtey locked up next for them is Spezza I dought they will be able to keep both him and Redden. Redden will have to take a huge paycut to stay in Ottawa

Now to last night's game I like the way the team played for 48 minutes.

Love the Sundin-Antropov-Blake line and Wozneiwski and Gill were good for most of the game but again the team blows a 3rd period lead like they did about 22 times last year THIS CAN'T HAPPEN ALL YEAR. That was why we missed the playoffs last year.

And I'd go with Toskala tonight Raycroft while he was good at times 2 or 3 of those goals were pretty weak.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Man, 3 minutes into this game, and I'm already annoyed with Bob Cole. Jeez, I thought they moved him to the B team, and moved up Jim Huston's team. Man, I never thought stating the obvious could be so obvious and aggravating.

Last edited by TheAxeGrinder; 10-04-2007 at 06:26 PM..
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Rangers.... Awesome.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRontoRon View Post
Good call's on both of Toronto's disputed goals, imo. Ponikarovsky just had it hit his skate, and didn't kick it in. Sundin turned his skate, and while he didn't kick it per se with his leg moving forward, I still consider that a kick.
That was from the preseason when Sundin simply turned his skate but it was called no goal because of a kick. I liked that call. Tonight Heatley did the same thing and this time they decided to call it a goal... Leafs shafted again. Same old, same old. I did agree with waving off the goal when Blake went through the crease, though. That was incidental contact, and an appropriate version of the call Kerry Fraser tried to make last year when the Leafs played the Isles.

Oh well, at this time of the year, moral victories work too. We outshot and outplayed Ottawa badly through two periods, then took four minors in the third to only one for Ottawa but still played the period pretty evenly. It's a very good sign that we can walk into a great team like Ottawa's barn and outplay them like that. We may only have 1 point through 2 games, but they'll come if we keep playing like we did tonight. 0 for 14 on the power play through two games, though. Have to improve on that.

Up front, congratulations to Mats Sundin for tying Darryl Sittler for the most goals in Leaf history. I thought he played another great game tonight. Blake was good but not as good as last night, and Antropov was a bit of a no-show.
Stajan and Steen were a bit better tonight, I thought, but Ponikarovsky wasn't very noticeable.
Another bad game from Kilger/Pohl/Tucker. Time to break that unit up. I'd put Devereaux with Steen and Stajan, demote Ponikarovsky to the third line, and demote Kilger to the fourth unit. I'm convinced that Tucker is playing through an injury. There's no way he'd be this invisible after two games against Ottawa otherwise.
Devereaux was good on the PK and registered 4 shots on only 7:46 of ice time. Battaglia didn't play much, but played just enough to be outmuscled by Chris Neil for a good chance for him. Newbury hardly played at all.

Defensively, Kaberle was much better, leading many offensive rushes. Kubina was also very solid. Wozniewski was ok, but not as good as last night, and Gill made two or three glaring mistakes, but was solid aside from those.
White and McCabe were both much better tonight too.

In goal, Toskala was pretty good. Two of the three goals that beat him were great shots by Alfredsson, and the other was almost a fantastic save on Heatley. He looked WAY better than the Toskala that showed up in the regular season. I would go with him against Montreal on Saturday night.

After two games, I must say I'm pretty happy. Moral victories are nice, but hopefully we can pick up a real one on Saturday night.

Go Leafs Go!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
Love the Sundin-Antropov-Blake line and Wozneiwski and Gill were good for most of the game but again the team blows a 3rd period lead like they did about 22 times last year THIS CAN'T HAPPEN ALL YEAR. That was why we missed the playoffs last year.
Looks like it happened again. Not a blown lead per se, but a missed opportunity for at least a point.

Sens played like shit again, but Gerber played better than yesterday. As for the goal, I can't comment on it, because I haven't seen the replay yet, but it did seem strange to me that they would suddenly award us a goal and set the clock back a minute.

Good to see Captain Clutch come through again when his team needed him. Great atmosphere tonight. Glad I decided to go to the game over studying.

Crowd was disappointing after the game started. Very lacklustre.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Oh and this needs to be said.

Martin Havlat, who recently returned from injury, is now injured again because of a punch he threw during a scrum at the end of a game today.

He was wearing his arm in a sling and will have an MRI.

I'm setting the over under for games played this year at 35.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Looks like it happened again. Not a blown lead per se, but a missed opportunity for at least a point.

Sens played like shit again, but Gerber played better than yesterday. As for the goal, I can't comment on it, because I haven't seen the replay yet, but it did seem strange to me that they would suddenly award us a goal and set the clock back a minute.

Good to see Captain Clutch come through again when his team needed him. Great atmosphere tonight. Glad I decided to go to the game over studying.

Crowd was disappointing after the game started. Very lacklustre.
So the time it takes for me to complain abotu the officiating is 2 days into the season.

After seeing the replay the no goal was complete bullshit we teach players to drive to the net(at least the North American players) and Black drove to the net was kind of guided in and Steen poks the puck in and it's no goal.

It's the same fucking bullshit from last year when Kerry Fraser screwed us out of a fucking goal last year.

And some of the calls last night were very cheesy on both sides but regardless of that someone has to tell Antropov that we are no in year 3 of the new rules and you can't take you arm off your stick and grab a player it will be a penalty. It ruined any momenum we had.

Also Nick Foligno held his own again too bad he didn't get a lot of ice time because of the PPs but had a great chance and Toskala made a nice save on him.

Which speaking of that Toskala played pretty well I didn't like the 2 goals he allowed by Alfredsson but I think he deserves the start on Saturday.

They better beat Montreal on Saturday
Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Moving to Ottawa (from Sudbury) in a few months so I guess I have to pick a side (I've never had one team since Roy retired) and root for the Sens. Can't wait to make it out to some games!!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
So the time it takes for me to complain abotu the officiating is 2 days into the season.

After seeing the replay the no goal was complete bullshit we teach players to drive to the net(at least the North American players) and Black drove to the net was kind of guided in and Steen poks the puck in and it's no goal.

It's the same fucking bullshit from last year when Kerry Fraser screwed us out of a fucking goal last year.

And some of the calls last night were very cheesy on both sides but regardless of that someone has to tell Antropov that we are no in year 3 of the new rules and you can't take you arm off your stick and grab a player it will be a penalty. It ruined any momenum we had.

Also Nick Foligno held his own again too bad he didn't get a lot of ice time because of the PPs but had a great chance and Toskala made a nice save on him.

Which speaking of that Toskala played pretty well I didn't like the 2 goals he allowed by Alfredsson but I think he deserves the start on Saturday.

They better beat Montreal on Saturday

I agree with you in that in the past that goal would count about 99 times out of 100. But they're trying to crack down on goalie interference, which I agree with, so I have no problem with the call. It does mean that we're going to see a lot of goals called back, however. I can see Detroit's powerplay goal totals taking a big hit with all the disallowed goals that are going to come because Holmstrom interfered with a goalie. I do think the call last night was very different than the Fraser call on Ponikarovsky last year, though. In this one, Blake went into the net almost completely on his own. Last year Ponikarovsky was shoved into the crease, had his stick held by DiPietro as he tried to get out of the crease, jumped out anyways before the puck went in, and the goal was still disallowed. Now THAT was bullshit.

As for the Heatley goal, in digging around I found this from the NHL rulebook that proves the right decision was made:

Rule 49.2: Goals

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player's skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player's skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident.

Too bad they made a mistake on Sundin's goal in the preseason then, but I guess the right call was made last night after all... But hold on a sec. Here's a bit more from the rulebook:

Section 10: Game Flow: 78.5 - Disallowed Goals - Subsections (i) and (ii)
"Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:
(i) When the puck has been directed, batted, or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick.

So I guess the wrong call was made.

I suppose they were reading Section 10, 78.5(i) when Sundin scored his goal against Ottawa, but they decided to read 49.2 when Heatley scored his goal against Toronto. I don't even know which ruling is correct, and the NHL obviously doesn't either according to their own rulebook, but Toronto was definitely screwed on one of the calls, either in the preseason or last night.

But I don't bring this up again for the purpose of complaining about the call, but to simply point out this contradiction, and to suggest that it's embarrassing for the League to have this contradiction in the first place, and that someone's gotta fix it.

As for other calls last night, the refs made a lot of questionable decisions, such as a weak holding call, imo, against Steen, and Pohl being singled out as the only guy to be called in a skirmish, when Fisher had thrown one of the Leafs down on the previous skirmish without a call... However, many of the bad calls were against Ottawa too. Vermette probably should have had a penalty shot for being tripped on a breakaway, and Gill definitely should have had a penalty for cross checking Eaves. So I don't mean to say that the refs were 100% behind Ottawa or anything, but the Heatley goal just irks me because it was so similar to Sundin's in the preseason, which was waved off.

And yes, Antropov's hold 9 seconds into a power play in the 3rd was very stupid, and an absolute killer given the timing of it.

Ah well. Time to move on. Bring on the Habs.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT.JMackey View Post
Moving to Ottawa (from Sudbury) in a few months so I guess I have to pick a side (I've never had one team since Roy retired) and root for the Sens. Can't wait to make it out to some games!!

You're gonna root for Ottawa? *groan*.

Well, I guess you're going to be living there, so I suppose it's acceptable.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:32 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/FrontPage/...5/4551373.html

What a ridiculous front cover title of the Toronto Sun. Overreact much? Even if we had 0 points through 2 games and were outshot by a 2 to 1 ratio in both games it would still be a stupid headline...

...Jessica Biel is pretty hot, though.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRontoRon View Post
You're gonna root for Ottawa? *groan*.

Well, I guess you're going to be living there, so I suppose it's acceptable.
Gotta be better than the alternative.

It's been my experience that Leaf fans who live in Ottawa usually have a short fuse and are generally irritable.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Gotta be better than the alternative.

It's been my experience that Leaf fans who live in Ottawa usually have a short fuse and are generally irritable.

Fair enough. I don't live there so I don't know. However, my brother in law has a buddy in a rural town just outside Ottawa who says that people in Ottawa HATE Leaf fans there and can be rude to them. But that's not a fact, that's just what I heard... That's just what I heard.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Woohoo. 1st win of the year. I'll make it brief, I'm not going to do a full player by player breakdown for every game this year.

Came out great for about 5 minutes, but then gradually Montreal took over the game. We didn't have much gas in the tank, and the speedier, fresher Habs were winning all the races/battles for the puck. Huet made a mistake late in the 2nd that got us back in it, and after that gaffe we seemed to have our legs back in the 3rd. That play was definitely your "TSN Turning Point."

Two big goals from Poni. Blake was having a bad game, and making the switch to put the "Sky Line" back together was a smart more by Maurice. I liked all the calls late. Wozniewski interfered with his guy, Sundin was too aggressive after the whistle and deserved his penalty, even if it was in OT, and Bouillion grabbed Sundin. It was for a split second, yes, but in the new NHL, a call in the 1st minute of period 1 is the same as a call with 2 minutes left in OT. As it should be.

Wozniewski had his worst game this year. Two bad penalties, plus he just seemed a step behing. I think he and Gill were gassed, though. 3 games in 4 nights against Ottawa's big line, then Montreal's #1 line, they were both running on fumes.
Toskala made some big stops, had some help from the iron a couple times, but looked pretty good on the whole.

3 games in, and all 3 have been extremely entertaining. Don't know if I can handle 79 more of these. How about just a nice, easy 4-1 win over Carolina on Tuesday boys?

Bring on the Canes.

Go Leafs Go!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Great win by the Leafs but the way they played in the 2nd period which was pretty brutal I think the Leafs won like 10 faceoffs the whole game.

Once the Sundin-Poni-Antropov line was put together the team started playing a lot better, but Montreal looked like the better team thought the majority of the game.

Toskala was very good tonight and made a lot of key saves tonight best save was in OT when Kubina while the puck was in the zone left to go get another stick which I ask WHY?

Oh well we'll take since we deserved better fate in the 2 games against Ottawa

On to Carolina on Tuesday
Old 10-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Gerber with the shutout tonight. Sens D did a great job in this game, as they looked at lot more like the Stanley Cup Finalists from last year. Sens PK has been incredible, as they have allowed 0 PP goals against and have scored twice shorthanded.

Gerber's been looking great so far this year and to hear Cherry give him some compliments for his play so far was nice to see. Hopefully his play has caused notice among some GM's.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:46 AM
hah

Off the boards for 2 weeks, wouldn't let me log in. good to be back

just in time for a Leafs win! These games are freakin exciting, and Toskala made a huge save there! Glad to see Sundin fuckin everywhere, 3 assists and a couple dumps!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=220161&hubname=

Oh my God.

Best wishes to him on a successful recovery.

Last edited by ToRontoRon; 10-08-2007 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 AM
yeah crazy

i never liked Blake, then he became a Leaf, so i had to accept him on an Antropov level, now i can't dislike the guy, hope he fully recovers
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow I'm shocked.

It seems like he will be able to play through it and live a healthy life which is good for him.

I hope he makes a full recovery
Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Blake family. Hopefully, he'll be able to keep playing at the NHL level for a while to come.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
i guess the moral of this all is...don't fuck with sidney crosby, as i believe last year when Blake speared him, he said "your fucking dead"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z11T8rtljLA

all kidding aside, blake will get a big ovation tonight from the crowd, and i will be apart of that crowd, cant wait!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Speaking of Sid, he only has 1 assist in 2 games and is a -2.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I'd love to see #55 score a goal tonight. Mats is going to be passing him the puck every time it's on his stick. If the Carolina 'D' is smart, they should play Sundin to pass if he and Blake are both around the net.

It's amazing to hear that there's a 90% or so success rate with this particular type of cancer, and that the patient doesn't even need chemo or a surgery. Just has to pop a pill every day. Also, apparently before this miracle drug called the "magic bullet" was invented, if you had this particular type of cancer, it was almost always fatal. Just 5 years ago finding out this news would have been a death sentence, and now chances are it is not. That's where your money goes when you give to cancer research. I had no idea that this much progress was made in any type of cancer. Hopefully drugs like these can be discovered for all other cancers, one by one.

One other thing. I wonder why the League didn't schedule the Blue Jackets to play yesterday... On Columbus day. Seems like a given to me. Maybe they could even turn it into an annual game against St. Louis or someone.

Ah well.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 PM
7-1 Canes.

Ugly effort. Carolina brought their A++ game tonight, though. Wow. They just skated and forechecked the shit out of us. I can't remember being more impressed by a team's effort against Toronto. Toskala kept us in it early, but eventually he fell apart too. The defence was simply atrocious. In particular McCabe. Just an awful, awful game from him, even if he did score. White, Wozniewski and Gill were very bad too. Carolina just kept the pressure on us, and when we did catch them as a result of their aggression, we didn't do anything with our 2 on 1's. Antropov took another bad penalty and didn't do anything with his scoring chances. The list goes on and on.

Just have to put this "horseshit" as our captain accurately called it behind us and bounce back against New York.

Go Leafs Go!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Um, can somebody give a reasonable explanation as to what the fuck is up with the schedule? Seriously, 5 games in the past 3 days, then BOOM, 12 games on Wednesday, then back to 5 games on Thursday. Seriously, what the hell is Colin Campbell thinking? Good thing they're going back to the balanced schedule next season, since this is retarded (just like the fact that the Sens and Ducks never played each other all of last season up until the finals).

Oh yeah, good effort on Toskala's part tonight, but seriously, the Leafs have shit for offense.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM
The only games i've watched that haven't been ranger games are Leafs games because I know so many cats here are into them. They seem to be picking up where they left last season off though, and I hope for all you fans' sake that they can turn it around.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingbanky View Post
The only games i've watched that haven't been ranger games are Leafs games because I know so many cats here are into them. They seem to be picking up where they left last season off though, and I hope for all you fans' sake that they can turn it around.
I think we will. I'd be very surprised if the team didn't bring their "A" game tomorrow against the Isles. I predict a 5-1 final score. At least we were so horrible last night that it might have been a bit of a wakeup call. It's amazing how well we can play at times against great teams, and how poorly we can play at times against weaker teams. Although Carolina was not a weak team by any stretch. If they play anywhere near like they did last night, they'll win the Southeast Division by about 10 points.

As for your Rangers banky, I'm hoping for a big year from them and Lundqvist since I got him in the pool. (Except of course when they play the Leafs.)
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=220319&hubname=

Looks like Ottawa and Pittsburgh will start next season in Europe.

I'm surprised the League didn't schedule Pittsburgh and the Rangers. With the game in Prague and Jagr being from the Czech Republic, it seems like a natural fit. Especially since New York and Pittsburgh figure to play each other more often than Ottawa and Pittsburgh, regardless of what the new scheduling formula is. They should try whenever possible to have divisional rivals playing in these games. Plus, maybe the following year if they go to Sweden they could have had Ottawa playing then against someone, perhaps Toronto, so that Alfredsson and Sundin could both play in Sweden. Just doesn't seem like very good foresight to me. Which is odd, because the NHL usually shows exemplary foresight.

This is bad news for Sens fans wanting to see Crosby. One less chance next year.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I think it's a fucking joke. Why the hell should WE be cheated out of a home game?

We don't even have any Czech players!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Quote:
I think it's a fucking joke. Why the hell should WE be cheated out of a home game?

We don't even have any Czech players!
I think I remember hearing that they're going to eventually get to every team before they make any teams do it twice... But that might have been the NFL. If not, they certainly should so that all 26 other teams have to do it before Anaheim, Los Angeles, Ottawa and Pittsburgh have to do it again. Then again, given that it's the NHL, I doubt they'll see the logic in this.

But yeah, as far as not having Czech players, that's exactly what I mean. Why not pick the Rangers instead of Ottawa? Ottawa has no Czech players, and Pittsburgh only has one player from the Czech Republic, Petr Sykora. The Rangers have Jagr, Straka, Prucha, Rozsival, and Malik all from that country. It should be a no-brainer decision for the League. It just doesn't make sense to me. Or for example if they go to Helsinki, Finland, why not pick the Dallas Stars who have Jere Lehtinen, Antti Miettinen, Jussi Jokinen, and Niklas Hagman. I doubt they would, though.

Just find which teams have the most players from wherever you're going, and if they haven't gone over yet, and provided they're a fairly good draw, then send them... The bad teams who you don't want to send figure to have some superstar players in the future from higher draft picks, so you don't have to worry about sending too many good teams in the early years, and having only weak teams later on.

I love the sport, but I swear, the League is run by a bunch of morons. But what else do you expect from a league that had 1 vs. 3 and 2 vs. 4 playoff formats for 29 freaking years from the 1943 playoffs to the 1971 playoffs before they realized that 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 was obviously more logical.

I mean which grade do you have to be in to realize that 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 is better than 1 vs. 3 and 2 vs. 4? The 5th grade? The 3rd grade? It's just incredible.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
SUNDIN PASSES SITTLER!!!

Congratulations to Mats Sundin on becoming the all time Leaf leader in goals and points.

One word to describe tonight's game... FUN!!!

Sorry, this is going to be a long post. So much happened. Where to begin...

That's how you respond to a 7-1 drubbing. By one upping it and winning your next game 8-1.

I was pretty sure we'd bounce back strong after the debacle on Tuesday, and did we ever.

I mentioned that Carolina brought their A++ game against us on Tuesday night, and therefore they deserved a lot of the credit as opposed to the Leafs just playing a horrible game. I wish I could say it was all a matter of Toronto playing great against an average team, but New York was just awful tonight. They brought their F-- game. New York was WAY worse than Toronto was on Tuesday, imo. Ok, New York played last night. True. But they didn't even show up at all. The shots weren't all that bad at 42-31, but that was not at all indicative of the play. We creamed them way worse than that. Just like Carolina creamed us way worse than the 39-28 shots showed two nights ago.

Dubielewicz was a sieve and the defence was as bad as you'll see in the NHL.

Unfortunately this game was on LeafsTV and so a lot of loyal Toronto fans didn't get a chance to see this historic game. I'll fill you in.

Up front, Sundin played a very good game, but he wasn't the most impressive Leaf on the ice. Blake played a good game, and Steen was flying as he was in the preseason. He looked really good on the top line.
The second line featured Tucker, Stajan, and Gamache. This was BY FAR Tucker's best game of the year so far. Stajan looked fantastic too, and so did Gamache. Congratulations to him on his first goal as a Leaf.
The third line saw Antropov, Pohl, and Devereaux. Antropov played his best game since opening night. Devereaux was using his speed all night and was great on the PK. He took a cross check in the back late and appeared as though he might be injured. Let's hope not, he's playing some great hockey, especially on the PK so far this year. Pohl was just good, but nothing special.
The fourth line was Newbury, Kilger, and Belak. They didn't see much ice time, and none of the three were impressive with what they got. The worst Leaf forward for sure was Belak, though. We had all the momentum early in the game and he spoiled it with a completely stupid and unnecessary penalty giving the Isles a power play. Dumb penalties are usually the toughest to kill off, and sure enough they scored late in that powerplay. Great move by Maurice to send a message and bench him after that until midway through the 3rd period.

On the blueline, Kaberle was great. He scored a beauty of a goal off a give and go with Blake. More on this goal to come. Kaberle's partner was McCabe, and he played a solid game, which he personally needed.
Wozniewski and Kubina were both very good, in particular Wozniewski. This is the Woz that dominated the preseason, and congratulations to him for his 1st NHL goal.
Gill and White were both solid as well.

In goal, Raycroft was very strong. He didn't have a chance on the only goal he gave up, which was deflected into the top corner in front of him by Fedotenko. He also made about 3 really good glove saves, and that's usually his Achilles' Heel. He was steady in net, cutting down the angles very well and not flopping around too much like he does when he's off his game. It's tough to say how it would have played out, but Belak's moronic penalty probably cost Raycroft a shutout, and more importantly, potentially could have cost the Leafs the game.

There were also some pretty entertaining things that happened during the course of the game. The first came on Kaberle's beauty goal. He blocked a shot and passed the puck to Blake, who skated down the right wing and slipped it to Kaberle who made a beautiful backhanded deke to make the score 3-1. When the goal was announced, they said that Sundin had the second assist, even though it was obvious he never touched the puck. Once the goal was being announced, the crowd gave Sundin a standing ovation for passing Darryl Sittler on the all time points list as a Leaf. The crowd also chanted "SUNDIN, SUNDIN", and it was great to see. In the third period, they took the assist away. Here's how it sounded.

Leaf's PA announcer Andy Frost: "An official correction on the third Toronto goal. Remove the second assist from #13, Mats Sundin..."
The crowd: "Groan!"

But then a few minutes later he got it on a bankshot goal. Nice to see him get another standing ovation, and “SUNDIN, SUNDIN” chant. He passed two of Sittler's records with the one goal, so I guess it was appropriate that Sundin got two ovations in the game. I thought it was cheesy to make the three stars, Mats Sundin, Mats Sundin, and Mats Sundin, but hey, if the Habs can do it one game with Maurice Richard, why can't we?

Also, Stajan scored a shorthanded goal to make it 4-1 with Sundin on the bench and Leafs play by play man Joe Bowen asks, "How does Sundin not get an assist on that?"

Sundin and Maurice were also seen laughing about having his record breaking point taken away in the third period.

Also, in between periods Steen was being interviewed by Paul Hendrick in the tunnel which is a quiet environment, and just at the tail end of the interview a fan shouts at the top of his lungs, "STEEN, YOU RULE!!!" Steen just sort of chuckled as he walked away.

It was just a REALLY fun game to watch, and a magical night for the Leafs. 180 degrees from Tuesday night... And Ottawa lost their first game of the year too. Somebody pinch me.

Time to move on to the next game. Bring on Sid the Kid and the Pens on Satuday.

Go Leafs Go!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 AM
It sucks this game was on Leafs TV well I had to work anyways so I wouldn't have seen it anyways but I listened to it instead which isn a bad thing.

Great to see Sundin get the all time goals and points record I was disappointed they took the assist away on the Kaberle goal but I think it was only fitting he got the al time goals and points record on the same goal which is cool.

It seemed like the Leafs played way better than the embarrasment of a game on Tuesday which I was so discusted at but it was good to pound the Isles and their backup who we among with others couldn't beat at the end of last year.

BTW is it just me or do the Isles saves their worst performances over the past 5+ years when they visit Toronto. It just seems that way.