Old 02-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Phaneuf and Giguere have already proven the role that they can play in Toronto. Phaneuf is an energetic, passionate player that brings everything he's got to every game who can bring a lot to the powerplay and rile the other guys up to play to their best level. Giguere is a solid goaltender that deserves the number one spot for a little bit. Two shutouts in two games is a pretty good start.

The most important thing that both players bring is the role of leaders. Schenn now has a solid defenseman to look up to and has already started to produce, not that I'm saying he is suddenly a better player playing Phaneuf style, but he definitely has shown a lot of strength and a solid shot in the last few games (mainly against Ottawa). Gusstavvson (pardon the spelling) has a solid #1 who practices with extreme effort and has well-adjusted to Francois-Allaires training. He can be a good mentor for the young goalie to help him mould into the starter the Leafs can use as a foundation for the future.

All-in-all the trade definitely was worth-while and has already shown some fruits. This is going to be an exciting close to the season and hopefully going to show some fruit in the years to come.

With Phaneuf now here and our defence showing some great improvements I think it's time to remove Kaberle and maybe get some draft picks and prospects in return. Kaberle has been eclipsed by the youth on the team and the new guys and he really isn't a necessary player to hold on to anymore. His era with the Leafs is done and he was a great contributor to the Leafs over the years but we have to prepare for the future not hold on to the past.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM
The Red Wings won 6 of thier last 7 games. Including an excelllent win against the Pens. Hopefully they keep up thier winning ways with the playoffs right around the corner. They are finally a healthy team and Howard is playing good in goal for them. I think Osgood would play well in the playoffs if they need him.

Typical Flyers stuff going on. Brian Boucher, their 3rd goalie, is thier starter. Ray Emery is out with a hip injury and Michael Leightnon has a high ankle sprain so they are done for the year. The Flyers top scorer, Jeff Carter, is out for a few weeks with a foot injury. They always play decent up until about 2 weeks before playoff time. Then injuries and bad losses come around. They got beat by ATL in back to back games over the weekend.

Also looks like Lundquist and the Rangers are gonna miss the playoffs. I thought the addition of Gaborik would help thier powerplay, but it hasnt really.

The Caps and the Blackhawks are tearing it up. But you gotta question thier goaltending going into the playoffs. Both teams have awesome offense. But history has shown you need a solid goalie to get to the Cup. Thats why the Devils and the Canucks should be tough. Broduer and Luongo both have Olympic gold and you know they'd love to win a Cup in the same year.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Wings gotta stick with Howard. He's the reason they're in a playoff spot.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM
The Wings finally beat the Oilers this year. Det. blew a 4-0 lead and ended up scroing with a minute left to win 5-4. But a win is a win this close to the playoffs.

The Sens won again and that pretty much secured what teams will be the top 5 in the East. NYR, Boston, and the Thrashers all won tonight, so spots 6-8 are still up in the air. NYR and the Flyers play each other twice this week. So that'll be pretty exciting since they both are trying to keep thier heads above water.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Looks like the top 8 in the West is pretty much set. A team could movie up or down a spot. But the those 8 teams made the playoffs already.

The East will come down to the last few games. The top 5 look pretty tight. But 6-8 could still be up for grabs. NYR and the Flyers play thier final 2 games back to back. Flyers need to win one. I think the Rangers need to win both. Boston has 2 tough games left. Against the Sabres and then the Caps. They also play the 'Canes. MTL has to play the 'Canes and the Leafs yet. So it'll probably come down to the last games to find out who made it to the playoffs.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Top 5 are set. The only two teams that could move are NJ and PIT and all then can do is switch places.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM
My playoff picks for the Eastern Conference:

Philly/Devils
The Flyers owned NJ this year. Winning 5 out of 6 games. But this is playoffs. Brodeur is going to be tough, as usual. Plus, this is Kovaulchuk (sp?) first real playoff shot. This Flyers goaltending is to weak to last 6 games.

DEVILS in 6

Pens/Sens

Pens are going to be to tough for the Sens. The Pens made it to the finals 2 years in a row. I have to pick one sweep.

PENS in 4

Caps/Canadiens

Washingtons offense is going to be to much for hte Canadiens in a series. Niether teams goaltending is great though. Both goalies can get the job done. But I see this being an scoring series. Ovechkin exited the Olympics early. So I see him being on fire in the first round. Canadiens finished of the season iffy.

CAPS in 6

Buffalo/Boston

I think this will be the closest series of the first round. Miller is probably going to be the difference maker.

Sabres in 7

Last edited by Ratlehed; 04-13-2010 at 07:12 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
My plaoff picks for the Western Conference:

Chicago/Nashville

The Predators have been a strong team the last few years. They just need a few more pieces for thier puzzle. I see the 'Hawks being really tough in these playoffs.

CHICAGO in 6

Sharks/Avs

The Avs are a good young team. Maybe in 2 years they'll be a top 5 team. But I dont think they can pull off an upset like the Ducks did last year. The Sharks will underachieve in these playoffs again. But not in the first round.

SHARKS in 6

Det./Coyotes

The Coyotes are a good defensive team. There goalie was one of the best during the regular season. But Det. is healthy and won alot of games after the Olympic break. Det. has way more experiance. Det. upsets the Coyotes.

DET. in 6

Vancouver/L.A.

The Kings, like the Avs, will be alot better in a year or 2. They need some playoff time. Luongo was very good in the Olympics and I see him being as strong in the playoffs.

CANUCKS in 5
Old 04-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Fucking Sharks!!! This can't be happening again?!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post
Fucking Sharks!!! This can't be happening again?!
WOW! One game and jumping off the wagon already????
Sometimes losing game one is a good thing.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Sharks have lost game 1 like 3 years in a row.

Anyway, ecstatic to see my Sens come into Pittsburgh and punch em in the mouth. Let's hope the mean streak continues and they roll out of there with 2.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
No not jumping off wagon...it's just we've had 4 straight disappointing playoff exits...and wednesday's game felt exactly like game 1 against the Ducks last year. Good thing they pulled it out tonight...tied it late in 3rd and won in OT 6-5...bad lapses in concentration and coverage cost the Sharks...it's a game they should have won 5-1, but that was the way they need to be playing all the time...skating fast, hitting hard and crashing the net for 60+minutes.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Vanek gets taken out and Boston ties the series.

Now with both offensive gamebreakers out, this series should get a lot more interesting. Not that I like to see injuries, but this puts the teams on more even footing.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 PM

Are you fucking kidding me!!?? Sharks outshoot Avs 50-15 or something and then lose like that in OT 1-0...This just isn't fair...no fucking luck at all...unbelievable!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post
Are you fucking kidding me!!?? Sharks outshoot Avs 50-15 or something and then lose like that in OT 1-0...This just isn't fair...no fucking luck at all...unbelievable!!!!!!!!!
Sharks are snake bitten. After that, it's almost a fact. I am glad they replayed the goal because I missed it. All the sudden the puck was in the net.

Det. looked slow today. They played great Fri.. They need to tighten up a bit.

I cant beileve Dan Carcillo scored the game winner for Philly against NJ. The Devils dont have any luck either.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratlehed View Post

Det. looked slow today. They played great Fri.. They need to tighten up a bit.
That give and go the Coyotes pulled off in the 3rd period to make it 3-1 was sick. Dude was like, "who's comin with me, ok let's ride homie..." and just knifed through Detroit's D'
Old 04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Shady View Post
That give and go the Coyotes pulled off in the 3rd period to make it 3-1 was sick. Dude was like, "who's comin with me, ok let's ride homie..." and just knifed through Detroit's D'
Howard stretched as far as he could go. But the Coyotes guy held on long enough to get it around Howards foot.

Also Anderson is 3rd on the list with most saves in a playoff game. He had 51. Hasek has like 73 and Roy is in 2nd with like 64.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Boston just won in the 2nd OT against the Sabres. It gives the B's a 3-1 lead in the series.

But, the Pens and the Caps are beating on thier opposition now. They each had a shakey start. But thier firing on all cylinders now. They'll have thier series' wrapped up in 5 games. I dont think any other team in the East will be able to stop the Caps or Pens.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Okay, what the crap? There has to be a conspiracy going on against the Sens in this game.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I cant believe Pitt came back and won last night. Ottawa had the majority of hockey fans in thier corner. I thought the Sens where gonna pull it off last night and actually have a shot at getting rid of Crosby. Hopefully next round.

The Sharks got rid the Avs. I want to see how Det. would do against the Sharks. The Wings can elimanite the Yotes this afternoon.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Would love to see Montreal upset Washington, but that pretty much guarantees Pitt gets to the Finals. I'm actually rooting for the Blackhawks the rest of the way (i'm a Devils fan), exciting team. Game 5 against the Predators was amazing.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Thats why I am rooting for the Caps as well. They are the only team that can beat the Pens. I dont want to see Crosby win a Gold medal and the Stanley Cup in the same year.

The Wings took care of Phx. nicley last night. I hope they can pull of an upset against the Sharks. I think they can do it. But whoever wins between the Hawks and the Canucks is going to go to the Cup.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Woo-hoo! Habs stomp the Caps!!! Let's see a Pens/'Hawks Cup (i.e. my 2 favorite teams)!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM
And the Presidents' Trophy curse continues.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 AM
The Caps have a long and deep tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the playoffs. They've had some epic collapses (especially to the Penguins) over the years.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:14 AM
They gotta can Boudreau. The guy has no structure whatsoever in his coaching style. That needs to stop if the Caps want to get somewhere.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
I'll give round 2 a go:

PENS in 6.

The Canadiens really surprised everyone and played great defensive games. I think they'll get worn down by the Pens though. Two very offensive teams in back to back series' is going to be hard for the D and goalie.

BRUINS in 6

The Bruins are probably gonna get Marc Savard back. The Flyers will be without Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter for awhile and Ian Lappiere is out for the playoffs. Boston really looked good against the Sabres and I think they'll win 4 close games in this series.

RED WINGS in 6

The Wings main guys are getting the job done. If Det. stays out of the box, they can handle the SJ offense.

CANUCKS in 7

This is the toughest series to pick. Whoever wins between the Hawks and Canucks is going to the Cup. Luongo has been really good and I think he'll be able to steal a win.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Red Wings better win tonight. They got a 5-0 lead at the end of the first. Franzen with 4 goals.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratlehed View Post
RED WINGS in 6

The Wings main guys are getting the job done. If Det. stays out of the box, they can handle the SJ offense.
Detroit didn't stay out of the box, and it's one of the main reasons they lost this series. Very happy my Sharks took 'em out in 5...but we still got 2 rounds to go boys! Here's hoping the Canucks can extend Chicago to 6 or 7 games!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM
The Canadiens won. One more win for them and Crosby is done. I am going to be a huge Canadiens fan....for a night. Since Det. is out I dont really care who wins. As long as Crosby doesnt.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Come on Canadiens!! One more period with a 2 goal lead. Send the Pens packing!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Fuck you and goodbye Sidney. Now I can enjoy the playoffs.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm sure Joblo is loving his Habs right now.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
It's pretty bad when you blow a 3-0 lead in game 7 AND the series itself.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM
WOW! The biggest choke in NHL history. What do you do next year after that happens???
Old 05-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Incredible.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 PM
A huge choke from the B's.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Congrets to the Blackhawks.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM
AHAHAHAHA! Fuck you Heatley!

The fact that the GWG was scored while he was sitting in the box was the icing on the cake.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM
The 'Hawks winning the Cup will more than compensate for the Pens not repeating for me. It would be the first time in my lifetime that 2 different teams I liked won the Cup in back-to-back years.