Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Not a fan of the new home page

I was holding off on commenting my distaste for the new layout of the home page but now that I can no longer access the forums from the JobloMovieCommunity page that first appears when you type in Joblo.com, I really can't contain myself any longer.

Its very aggravating and unnecessary, in my opinion, for this page to exist at all when to read the full story you are linked back to the original layout anyways. The new layout offers nothing new to the site's format, instead it forces you to look at everything the site is doing in one jumbled mess rather than letting you direct yourself to specifically what you're interested in.

And I understand the massive popularity of social networking sites (I have a myspace and facebook), but I really only want to come to JoBlo to talk movies with some schmoes that may have different opinions than my regular group of friends. So all I need is the forums. And to have to click on some story I've already read about, wait for that page to load (which has taken noticeably longer with the new format as well-at least on my mac) and then click another link and wait for that one to load up (also takes much longer than it used to- for my mac again) is really a pain in the ass. Can we just implement the whole seperate but equal thing here and put a link to the forums on the first page as well as a link to the online community or whatever?

Sorry if I sound like a bitter old man discovering the internet for the first time but I've been coming to this site for 8 years now and have noticed with each "upgrade" more problems seem to arise than solutions. This has nothing to do with the quality or material on the site. All that stuff has been top notch and consistently incredible since I first visited. Its just that the layout is a bit of a headache.

Am I alone on this?

p.s. Please don't ban me
Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Bookmark: http://www.joblo.com/index2.php

That's what I've done. About the MFC, I don't use it too much. It's not like it's difficult to avoid if you don't want to use it.

Last edited by Tweek; 09-04-2009 at 07:11 PM..
Old 09-05-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm in the same boat. I used to go to joblo.com, read the headlines, then click on the forums. Ever since they changed to the new front page I just go directly to joblo.com/forums and don't even bother with it. It's too much of a clusterfuck, and half the time the top 5 stories don't load correctly. Not sure if it's my personal settings but I do work at a top computer technology company and it never loads correctly there either. Anyways... didn't want you to think you're the only one
Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
I was holding off on commenting my distaste for the new layout of the home page but now that I can no longer access the forums from the JobloMovieCommunity page that first appears when you type in Joblo.com, I really can't contain myself any longer.

Its very aggravating and unnecessary, in my opinion, for this page to exist at all when to read the full story you are linked back to the original layout anyways. The new layout offers nothing new to the site's format, instead it forces you to look at everything the site is doing in one jumbled mess rather than letting you direct yourself to specifically what you're interested in.

And I understand the massive popularity of social networking sites (I have a myspace and facebook), but I really only want to come to JoBlo to talk movies with some schmoes that may have different opinions than my regular group of friends. So all I need is the forums. And to have to click on some story I've already read about, wait for that page to load (which has taken noticeably longer with the new format as well-at least on my mac) and then click another link and wait for that one to load up (also takes much longer than it used to- for my mac again) is really a pain in the ass. Can we just implement the whole seperate but equal thing here and put a link to the forums on the first page as well as a link to the online community or whatever?

Sorry if I sound like a bitter old man discovering the internet for the first time but I've been coming to this site for 8 years now and have noticed with each "upgrade" more problems seem to arise than solutions. This has nothing to do with the quality or material on the site. All that stuff has been top notch and consistently incredible since I first visited. Its just that the layout is a bit of a headache.

Am I alone on this?

p.s. Please don't ban me
I've heard this from a couple of other people and always respond the same way: WHY DON'T YOU JUST BOOKMARK THIS PAGE (http://www.joblo.com/index2.php) so you can just go automatically to the JoBlo.com news page, instead of the new front page? Seems like a pretty simple solution, unless I'm missing something from what you're saying.

We updated the front page for a variety of reasons, the main of which was the fact that the site has grown into a NETWORK OF MOVIE SITES which includes ARROW IN THE HEAD, DVD CLINIC, MOVIE HOTTIES and MOVIE FAN CENTRAL, and obviously one central portal page is the best way to feature them all.

But if you don't like the main page, just BOOKMARK whatever page you do like.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I used to go to joblo.com, read the headlines, then click on the forums. Ever since they changed to the new front page I just go directly to joblo.com/forums and don't even bother with it. It's too much of a clusterfuck, and half the time the top 5 stories don't load correctly. Not sure if it's my personal settings but I do work at a top computer technology company and it never loads correctly there either. Anyways... didn't want you to think you're the only one
This is the FIRST TIME I hear about the "first 5 stories not loading correctly", so if you can offer more info about that, we can check it out, but obviously it sounds to me like it might be an issue on your end, since nobody else has complained about that in the year or so that we've launched the new front page.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah I haven't been a fan of the new homepage ever since it came out but I just don't go to it so that avoids the problem. I just set the link both Tweek and Joblo mentioned as my homepage. Makes it the same as before.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree, I am not a big fan of the new homepage either. I don't understand the point of it, as the original lay out (in my opinion) showed that this is a network of sites just the same as the new page does - but better. I like being able to scroll through the new headlines of each site on the left side of the screen straight from index2.

It's not a big deal, though. I bookmark index 2 where i can. It does get really annoying having to type in /index2.php every time i visit from another computer though (which is often).

It is cluttered for sure, as novel a concept of a "better" home page is. I'd like to see it improved upon, as everything of this nature is trial and error to a degree.