Old 06-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Swingers - (7.5/10)

Swingers- (7.5/10)
Info: (1996) R, John Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Ron Livingston
Genre: Comedy/Drama
Comments: In Swingers, a group of men try to act suave and explore the night club scene while one of their own goes through a tough break up. Swingers is a movie that comes with high praise from many of the schmoes on this board esp. Joblo. I was really excited to finally see this movie considering Rounders is my #5 all time. After my first viewing of Swingers I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I thought there would be more to it. The thin plot and characters left me bummed out for a while. However after it was all said and done, there were many scenes in this movie that were just so darn cool. First off the "swinger lingo" is just way hot. When guys keep calling each other "money", you know its good stuff. It reminded me a lot of Rounders in that aspect. However this movie had a much cooler vibe. Vince Vaughn carried the coolness factor on his shoulders and did a great job. The thing that kept this move from being an all time favorite was Favreau character. He killed a lot of the coolness factor of the movie with his own sub-drama which in turn was the main meat of the movie. If Swingers focused more on the cool going guys I would have easily given it a 9 or 10. There are plenty of slow parts too with all the woman and Favreau's character being a pussy. Even with all that the end does a great job saving that aspect. I probably won't like this movie till I venture the club scene myself, although I dont play poker and loved Rounders. Even if I couldnt totally relate to a lot of the clubbin' stuff I couldn't help but admire certain scenes that hit very close to home. NHLPA94 hockey for Sega!! Thats all I can say. I was so addicted to that game. I loved that part of this movie! Some freinds, my brother and I would have get togethers and play that game just like they did. We even had that same discussion about why they took the fighting out... then agreed that the head smashing was sufficient enough. Also the movie shot talk was priceless! Then right after that, mimicing a shot from Reservoir Dogs. Priceless! Although Swingers had a lot of down parts to it, there were too many great scenes and too much cool lingo to be a bad movie. Its not as good as Rounders but it holds its own