How is this book?
Old 06-21-2003, 05:38 PM
good./
Old 06-21-2003, 09:31 PM
excellent
Old 06-22-2003, 04:52 AM
Have either of you actually read it?
Old 06-22-2003, 05:05 AM
I've read most of the Divine Comedy (the larger work in which the inferno appears). It consists of three parts, the Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso, each representing Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven, respectively. Out of all of the sections, the Inferno is the least boring. Overall I found it a bit boring, but most modern readers tend to do that with classic lit., especially that in the area of epic poetry. But if you enjoy epic poetry, such as Milton's Paradise lost, or Homer's Odessey, you will most likely really enjoy this. I suspect you'll be reading the English translation, which is still faithful to the original text, making sure the lines still rhyme, and it keeps Dante's aba bcb cdc rhyme pattern. Start with the Inferno, read all of the cantos, and if you didn't like it, I'd reccmoned not reading Purgatorio, or Paradiso because the Inferno is really the best part. You learn quite a bit about man's beliefs concerning punishment for sin, etc. Even if you're a little bored by it, it still has interesting parts.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Thank you.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EoghainFOKeeffe
Can't say I have.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TATU
Can't say I have.
Then why reply with 'good'??

I think I might pick this book up hearing the comparision to Homer's The Odessey
Old 06-23-2003, 10:50 AM

I've read the whole Divina Commeddia, and I gotta say it's a very good, very nice, very instructive read. But it's also a very tough one -- it's a really really hard book to read. Harder than the Iliad or the Odyssey, way harder, I thought. But if you're interested in religion, in past history, in poetry, then it's definitely worth spending time on.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EoghainFOKeeffe
twice, actually.....
Old 06-23-2003, 05:07 PM
I preferred Paradise Lost myself, but it was better than Pilgrim's Progress.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gregorious8
Then why reply with 'good'??

I think I might pick this book up hearing the comparision to Homer's The Odessey
It's less like the Odyssey, and more like Paradise Lost, and much more difficult to read, but I recommend it. It won't be a waste of time, even if you dislike it.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Fabius Bile
excellent
2nd'd
Old 07-05-2003, 11:45 PM
These very old books seem to be written deliberately to make them hard to understand. They are so totally unclear. And I'm not referring to use of language, it is more like it jumps all over the place totally at random. I could barely read a few pages.

That was like 5 or 6 years ago, maybe I should try again. Bleh.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim H
These very old books seem to be written deliberately to make them hard to understand. They are so totally unclear. And I'm not referring to use of language, it is more like it jumps all over the place totally at random. I could barely read a few pages.

That was like 5 or 6 years ago, maybe I should try again. Bleh.
Try it, you might end up loving it like me.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:52 PM
I'm reading it now, I'm in the 6th hell (started yesterday) and it's really interesting!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:58 AM
I really tried to love it, just as much as The Odyssey and The Illiad. I just can't get in to epic poetry, maybe one day I'll like it and I really wish I did now.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:27 PM
My friend basically used the book as a travel guide...as in, she told me EXACTLY where I would be going when I died - she thinks I'm evil...

I really shouldn't even consider her a friend *sigh*

Why is it that people have to automatically assume that if a book or document has anything to do with Heaven and Hell, that it is suddenly Divine Law?

*sigh*