Old 06-22-2003, 06:58 PM
My Best Friend is a Vampire

This one seems to get pissed on a lot, but I enjoyed it.

It's a fairly simple story of a teenage kid's life after he becomes a vampire. I'm a little hazy of the begining as I've only seen that part once a few years ago but.. Eventually he comes into conflict with a vampire hunter who is trying to kill him (and who apparently killed the vampiress who converted him).

It's not ingenious, it isn't anything really new (by 1988, several movies of the comedic teenage vampire mold had come out), but this one worked for me.

The lead performance by Robert Sean Leonard is quite good, for starters. The performance by the guy who's his best friend (the title is misleading, it's in first person from the point of view of the vampire) also gives a very good, amusing performance. Rene Auberjonois (who you probably remember as Odo from Deep Space Nine) gives his usual excellent performance. And David Warner and Paul Wilson are also amusingly over the top as the villains. The only weak link is Lee Anne Locken, who is well.. Weak. She's sure pretty now though... Yeesh.

This also has a lot of great 80s vibe. Love it or hate it (I love it), it's there, thought not as prominent as mid 80s movies.

This movie is essentially a satire, and the sly winks at vampire movies and character expectations often work. Unfortunately, the climax is a bit weak, which is the main reason for my only so-so score.

Overall, I'd give this one a decent 7/10
Old 06-23-2003, 02:16 PM
i thought this movie was ok, but a little too cheesy for my taste.......5/10