Old 07-08-2003, 01:29 AM
Sandman

Having been in a lot of bookstores lately, what're everyones thoughts about the Sandman comic series written by Neil Gaiman? I'd heard a lot of good things about it on a recent History Channel special about the history of comics, and it intrigued me to a large degree. What's the story about and is it any good? And it seems like each comic is a standalone story, is it true?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:08 AM

I was watching that again myself last night. Neil Gaiman is excellent. I haven't read the story in question, but I have read Sandman before as well as one of his novels, "Neverwhere" I'm sure your local comic book store can help you find what you're looking for.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Really liked a lot of the earlier issues, and overall a very good series. There are storyline arcs within the series, so the comics aren't completely stand-alone.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Sandman was a masterpiece that raised the literary bar at a time when comics were in a bit of a slump. I've read it from start to finish a few times and will likely do so many more times. It's endlessly (no pun intended) engaging.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Haven't read anything from Sandman apart than a collection of short stories inspired by that universe (which was only correct). But Neil Gaiman is a master. Neverwhere is one of my all time favorite novels, and his collection of short stories Smoke & Mirrors is awesome! I'm anxious in reading American Gods. My city's Public Library has got a copy...
Old 07-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Damned Martian...

American Gods is a great read. I read it on holiday three years ago and I couldn't believe how fast I tore through it. Amazing characters and a plot that compels you to read just one more chapter even though it's three in the morning and you've had your eyelids propped open with matchsticks for the last two hours. Truly a masterpiece

You should also check out Good Omens...his hilarious apocalyptic collaboration with Terry Pratchett.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:52 PM
I forgot to ask, what is the series about? I know it's about a guy named Morpheus, but that's about it
Old 07-09-2003, 12:21 PM
In the DC universe, certain concepts are embodied in physical form. Morpheus in the personification of Dream. His family includes Death, Delirium, and others. The series deals with different things that happen after his escape from imprisonment and his interaction with both mortals and other beings. The series is only marginally connected with the four-color superhero DC universe.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
You should also check out Good Omens...his hilarious apocalyptic collaboration with Terry Pratchett.
Oh, i've already read it. In fact, it was the first book of him i read. My opinion?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Quote:

That book whoops some major ass.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking of getting one the Sandman books. For someone who's never read any of the books, what would be the best one to pick up?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 PM
From what I've read of Sandman so far, you don't need to read it from beginning to end, although it is preferable. For instance, The second TPB is a complete story, and you don't have to have read the first one to get it, but it helps a little in getting to grips with the character.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Not long after creating this topic, I bought The Kindly Ones, the 2nd to last book in the series, and only recently finished it. It's a pretty thick book and very hard to read sometimes, so it was quite a challenge for me
Old 08-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarface98.9
Not long after creating this topic, I bought The Kindly Ones, the 2nd to last book in the series, and only recently finished it. It's a pretty thick book and very hard to read sometimes, so it was quite a challenge for me
Challenges are good. Did you enjoy it? You should really have started from the first book though. Although each book can be read separately there is an overall arc to the plot meaning certain aspects of later volumes only make full sense within the chronological context of the entire work.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Challenges are good. Did you enjoy it? You should really have started from the first book though. Although each book can be read separately there is an overall arc to the plot meaning certain aspects of later volumes only make full sense within the chronological context of the entire work.
From what I read, I liked it, though considering I basically started at the near end and am working backwards, it got confusing for me very frequently, where the challenge came in. I didn't realize I was starting at the end though. Once I get some money together, I'll start trying to backtrack and find out what I've been missing