Old 01-15-2003, 05:00 AM
robin williams

i hope there already hasn't been a million threads about him, but i thought i would try and start one.

robin williams to me, is remarkable.
he made us laugh in mrs doubtfire, made us cry in dead poets society and what dreams may come...he made us think in good morning vietnam and made is cringe in insomnia and one hour photo....he's done it all. and to me, he's done it well. not a lot of actors are able to pull it off....but he's just....remarkable!

what do you think?
Old 01-15-2003, 09:07 AM
He is an absolutely wonderful actor IMO, and one of the best out there right now. He is both a talented comedian as well as a dramatic actor. I've liked him in almost every film he's done. A great actor!
Old 01-15-2003, 11:50 AM
I usually like his work, except in interviews. He cannot sit still, and cannot EVER just answer a question. It's as if he is still all coked up. I can't imagine being one of his kids. It would get very tedious.

He was outstanding as Garp.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:22 PM
I think Williams is great. He seems to have given himself some permanent brain damage, though.

Fisher King
Garp
Moscow On The Hudson

He even was almost good enough to make Popeye barable.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:19 PM
I love the guy. He's one of those few actors who can do drama and comedy equally well.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:01 PM
He is VERY Nice in person! I just wanna kick myself that I NEVER got his autograph when I rang him up!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:58 PM
If I had to pick an underrated male actor, it would be Robin Williams... INCREDIBLE STAYING POWER, and the ability to pick interesting roles. Love him!
Old 01-15-2003, 08:15 PM
A brilliant, brilliant actor. Some of the best range out there. He has an undeniable presence, and is a brilliant man, as well as a fantastic performer. One of my favorites, who always manages to surprise me.

TO

Old 01-24-2003, 10:25 PM
*Bump*
Old 01-25-2003, 03:42 PM
thanx, Annie!

Yeah, Robin Williams is an underrated actor... OK, he made some lame films (Popeye and Hook might be the worst), but also a lot of great ones (Garp, Good Will Hunting etc.). Thankfully, after making all these tearjerkers in the late 90s (Jack, Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come), it's great to see him back in awesome movies such as One Hour Photo and Insomnia.

Hmmmm, maybe I was wrong, when I complained about tearjerkers... well, his stunning performance in The Fisher King nearly made me cry ...and that's a GOOD thing. Just wonderful
Old 01-25-2003, 11:46 PM
I agree...Robin Williams is a gifted and diverse actor. His roles in Dead Poet's Society , Good Morning Vietnam , Garp and Insomnia were truly remarkable.

IMO Jim Carrey reminds me of Williams a little...at least he has the capacity to take roles of the calabre of Williams... i.e. not just slapstick/outrageous type comedies...but also intricate dramas and tough characters (Man on the Moon comes to mind)
Old 01-26-2003, 12:33 AM
I think he's a great actor in movies like One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting but the guy doesn't know when to stop with his comedy routines. He's constantly dying to be in the spotlight and trying to ram in every joke he can think of. A good example would be the Broadcast Film Critic awards or whatever they were. Jack Nicholson called him up and he started making all kinds of jokes. Ofcourse, some of them were funny, but it wasn't his moment. He should've thanked Jack for calling him on stage and been a little more humble.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BakeTheMooCow
I think he's a great actor in movies like One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting but the guy doesn't know when to stop with his comedy routines. He's constantly dying to be in the spotlight and trying to ram in every joke he can think of.
Who cares? Does that make him a less brilliant actor? I don't think so... there are sooo many celebrities who have really annoying character traits, but on the other hand they are great actors, filmmakers etc.
I must also admit that I really like Williams' comedy routines... I don't find em annoying at all.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RenHoek
Who cares? Does that make him a less brilliant actor? I don't think so... there are sooo many celebrities who have really annoying character traits, but on the other hand they are great actors, filmmakers etc.
I must also admit that I really like Williams' comedy routines... I don't find em annoying at all.
I think he is a great actor but this thread is about Robin Williams the man, not Robin Williams the actor. I just think he's annoying in his comedy routines and interviews. He goes overboard. Like I said, he's funny but when he tries to be TOO funny, thats when he gets on my nerves.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:22 AM
I find that he is much more funnier in interviews and in person than he is in his movies. It is to the degree that I sometimes think he should write his own movies. They would probably be funnier then.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Robin Williams is another actor that's on my "actors who can do no wrong list". When I think of Robin Williams I think PERFECTION. He's both funny and dramatic, diverse, talented. He's my hero. He was my favorite actor ten years ago.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:46 PM
I think he's the most annoying man in Hollywood.

Not funny, and he lacks any traces of talent.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Hilarious, especially in his standup. He has an uncanny talent at improvisation, which is always very hit-or-miss. He hits all the time and is the best improviser I've ever seen. His stand-up always cracks me up, and his comedic roles are almost always entertaining, but he's a damn good actor too. His recent performances in Insomnia and especially One Hour Photo should that he can be more than just the goofy loveable idiot, and of course he's had some great performances before those. He deserves an Oscar nomination for One Hour Photo, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Very funny guy, and very good at playing the bad guy as well.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:55 PM
I like him. I think he's funny. I think he's talented and that's my two (extremely boring) cents on a dead topic. I rule.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Good, he was, in One Hour Photo. And his only other one I liked was Mrs. Doubtfire and Dead Poets Society.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:14 PM
He's one of my favourite actors. Great man with great talent in Drama, comedy, thriller etc. He's fantastic and hilarious!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 PM

The only thing I ever cared to see Williams as was Mork and Mrs. Doubtfire. Oh and Cadillac Man was alright too. Other than that his movies look so painfully annoying. Popeye? Flubber? Jakob the Liar? Jumanji? Hook? Toys? Jack? Patch Addams? Bicentennial Man? Death to Smoochy? I don't think I'd be able to handle all that. I gotta give him credit though as the Genie in Aladdin. He played that perfectly. Another thing that annoys me is whenever I see him on interviews he always answers questions by doing his "act". Just let it go for a couple of minutes dude. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Nay, he's just not my cup of tea. Unbearably annoying. Painful, even.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:12 PM
YAY, great actor who has proven himself in both comedic and serious roles

also seems like a great guy