Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions (soon to be a Tim Burton movie!)

Hi,

I just borrowed this book from the library (apparently, in the 4 years they've had it, i'm the first person that has taken it out!) after anticipating the movie for a very long time...I've read about 60 pages of it so far and I love it! (while reading Cold Mountain left me a bit disappointed, and my anticipation for the movie is a bit less now) I hope the rest of the book is just as good, it's excellent, and it's not an overly bloated book either, it's rather short.

Has anyone else read this yet? What did you think of it?
Old 07-20-2003, 08:56 AM
I've not read it, but as Burton's making a movie out of it, I'll most likely read it once the flick comes out.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Why not read it before the movie comes out?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EoghainFOKeeffe
Why not read it before the movie comes out?
It's a personal preference, when I have the choice, I'd rather see the movie before read the book. Especially with a Tim Burton movie, it's always more magic if you don't expect what's coming next.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by James Logan
It's a personal preference, when I have the choice, I'd rather see the movie before read the book. Especially with a Tim Burton movie, it's always more magic if you don't expect what's coming next.
I have exactly the opposite opinion (I refuse to ever watch a movie before reading the book), but I understand what you mean. Tim Burton has a unique vision, so he always brings something new to whatever story he tackles (I even enjoyed his version of PLANET OF THE APES) - so if you are REALLY into Burton, I can imagine that you wouldn't want the book clouding your expectations.