Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Neil Gaiman's '1602' from Marvel Comics - Comic Book Event Of The Year?

The forthcoming mini-series by Neil Gaiman (his first work for Marvel since he did an Alice Cooper comic about ten years ago) is looking to be one of the comic book events of the year. The project is shrouded in secrecy but some artwork has been revealed at the San Diego Comic Con and it looks stunning. I'm a huge Gaiman fan and read just about anything he writes whether comicbook or novel. He's been concentrating mainly on his non-comic book writings for the last several years and his contributions to the medium have been sporadic to say the least. This should be a classic. Here is some of the sample art...

Old 07-24-2003, 03:48 PM
I'll be getting this one for sure. Both interior and cover art are gorgeous, and with Gaiman, you know there's a good chance a new masterpiece is in the making here. Plus, proceeds from the book sales will go towards legal fees in Gaiman's fight to aquire the Miracleman license from McFarlane.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Goosey
Plus, proceeds from the book sales will go towards legal fees in Gaiman's fight to aquire the Miracleman license from McFarlane.
Didn't know that. Good fucking cause. As much as I appreciate certain aspects of what McFarlane has done over the years...the entire Miracleman debacle has pissed me off no end. Miracleman from the beginning of the Alan Moore run right through until it was cut short midway through Gaiman's magnificent continuation was a masterpiece in the making. Now it's an unfinished masterpiece and McFarlane has lost a lot of respect as a result of his idiotic mishandling of the entire situation. I pray for a happy resolution and the eventual completion of the story of Miracleman.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Yes, if there is one single incident that I could say made me dislike McFarlane the most, this would be it. I hope things work out well(and as soon as possible), as I've never even read the Miracleman stories, due to cost. By the way, I was over at Comic Book Resources earlier, and there is an interview with Mr. Gaiman where he discusses 1602 as well as the status of the Miracleman case.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Could very well be, honestly, until I read those pages, I had no a frikkin' clue as to anything about the story (I guess no one really does though, huh?)

I'd say the event of the year is going to be this series, or Avengers vs. JLA.... either or, they both look amazing so far!
Old 07-25-2003, 07:17 AM

Gaiman and Kubert?

How can it fail?
Old 07-25-2003, 02:05 PM
I've been aching to read this one for some time now, and those preview pages just make me want it that much more.

"Bring it on", I say.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:08 PM
I can't wait until this series comes out. I'm intrigued to find out how this series fits in with the Marvel Universe
Old 08-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Issue 1 hit the stores today. I just finished reading it. The storytelling and artwork are pretty much as good as it gets. Anyone who is interested in what could be the next masterpiece worthy of standing alongside the greats like The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen should definitely check this out. Very good indeed.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:31 AM

I recently read issue #1 myself and it was great. This is going to be an excellent story.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm guessing this will never reach our country. I think I'll have to order it. And stop teasing me with pictures like those, I'm on the brink of an orgasm.(Not that that's bad...)