Old 07-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Best True Crime Book

I am a big fan of true crime books. I havea huge collection. Mostly on Serial Killers. List your favorite trure crime books here. Here are mine:

Helter Skelter- the book about the Manson family murders

The Night Stalker- about Richard "Night Stalker" Ramirez. Very good book.

Killer Clown- about John Wayne Gacy

Deviant- about Ed Gien

Zodiac- about the Zodiac killer.

I cannot thibk of any more right now but there are so many good ones.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:28 PM
What do those books concentrate on? The crimes themselves, the individual's lives, how they got caught? Sounds interesting but I'd need a bit more detail to buy one...
Old 07-30-2003, 11:39 AM
My favorite is The Cases That Haunt Us by John Douglas. It talks about unsolved cases, like Jack the Ripper and the Zodiac Killer
Old 07-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by James Logan
What do those books concentrate on? The crimes themselves, the individual's lives, how they got caught? Sounds interesting but I'd need a bit more detail to buy one...
The good ones concentrate on all of the above.

Helter Skelter is the best of the lot. I've read dozens of them, but not many stick out in my mind.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grebdron
The good ones concentrate on all of the above.
Well, smart answer to a stupid question.

I'll try to check some out.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by James Logan
Well, smart answer to a stupid question.
That IS my specialty, James.

Try Helter Skelter first. Should be quite easy to find.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:04 AM
Helter Skelter is my favorite true crime book as well, I read it last year and I was scared shitless.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:54 AM
The Cases That Haunt Us is really good book. John Douglas is my idol.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:18 PM
This one may not fall into the 'serial killer' types that you all mentioned already, but my favorite book about real life criminals is WiseGuys by Nicholas Pileggi.

That is of course the book that was made into Marty's Goodfellas.

But as most books do, this one went into much much greater detail about the characters and the capers they pulled off. Some really fascinating stuff.

I highly recomend.

And a couple of other great non-fiction gangster/mafia/true crime books are [b[Donnie Brasco[/b] by Joe Pistone and Bound by Honor written by Bill Bonanno the son and right hand man of Joe Bonanno head of one of New York's famed 5 families.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:58 AM
The best I've read was called "Hunting Humans" by a guy named Elliot Leyton. If you're canadian you should have no trouble finding it..
Old 08-05-2003, 04:42 PM
I'll look that one up. Second the love for Wiseguys.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:21 PM
a few of my faves:

Helter Skelter - Bugliosi (scared me shitless)
Sleepers - Carcaterra (riveting book...great movie too)
American Tragedy - Schiller (about OJ)
Old 08-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vtadave
Sleepers - Carcaterra (riveting book...great movie too)
Check out Dave...chiming in with a productive post.

Sleepers was a GREAT book, and a decent movie.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:23 PM
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Reigh Kaufman
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Read that one. A classic. Pretty much invented the genre, I hear.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grebdron
Check out Dave...chiming in with a productive post.

Sleepers was a GREAT book, and a decent movie.
LOL Greb....are you saying some of my posts haven't exactly contributed a whole lot? Pray tell, which ones?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:18 AM
The only true crime book I've ever read was Helter Skelter, and I'll follow the crowd and say it's a great read.

It's actually the only book in probably the last five years that's kept me interested enough to finish it within a short time. I usually start to read a book, put it down for a few months, pick it up.... go by a few chapters, you get the point.

With Helter Skelter I think I probably read the last 200 pages within two days of each other... a incredible feat for me!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Fatal Vision, Joe McGinniss' account of the life of Jeffrey McDonald is one of the most layered true crime books ever. McGinniss really delved into the evidence, history and events that led to the murder of his wife and children. It's just a stunning book well researched and developed.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Was that made into a film with Michael Biehn?
Old 08-11-2003, 04:48 PM
It was a miniseries with Gary Cole as McDonald, Karl Malden and Eve Marie Saint as the grieving parents. It was nowhere near as good as the book but still very decent.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:56 AM
The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison is a book by Pete Earley that is excellent. The author actually roamed the grounds at Leavenworth and got to know several prisoners in depth that he focused on heavily in the book. He wonderfully told their stories of life behind bars and how they got there. This is really a chilling wake up call to all you would be gangstas out there. Pick up a copy.

I suppose it could double as a survival guide if you don't want to end up being someones bitch.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Wise Guy by Nicholas Pileggi was good. It was also the basis for Goodfellas.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:36 AM
I've heard In Cold Blood was a good one. Has anyone read it?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:27 PM
No, but I saw the movie, and if it's anything like the movie, it should be a good read.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Babbit
I've heard In Cold Blood was a good one. Has anyone read it?
Yeah, I've read it, excellent. It's been a few years since I've read it, but like I said, it was great. Capote paints a great picture of the barren Kansas landscape and goes into more detail about Hickok's and Smith's adventures after the murders. If you liked the movie, you'll love the book.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 PM
forgot all about Fatal Vision....grrreat book. There's another book out a few years ago that attempts to counter McGinness' claims. A fascinating case.

Still I think Dr. McDonald is guilty as hell...
Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vtadave
forgot all about Fatal Vision....grrreat book. There's another book out a few years ago that attempts to counter McGinness' claims. A fascinating case.

Still I think Dr. McDonald is guilty as hell...
Yeah, but would you hit it?