Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2004, 03:12 PM

Im as happy as a pig in shit at the moment...four wins on the bounce....Shaka wake me up I must be dreaming!

Not a vintage game today but hey we won against a very poor Liverpool team. Once I read Gerrard was out injured I said to my mates we'll win this today. Doc and the big man in defence were great and Michael Brown was excellent covered every blade of grass, I haven't seen a player throw himself about like that since...well since I can remember.

C'mon You Spurs!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Let's hope Liverpool keep the same poor team for wednesday night then
Old 01-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
1-0!

Gee guys, d'ya think its Ok if i celebrate wildly?

I'm absolutely stunned... muchos congrats quoth, your team has made me insanely jealous!

Now if we can pull off a win against the Arsenhole later today, I'll be one happy little chump, if we lose then I'm sure Chelski can score a win over Birmingham
Old 01-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Aston Villa 0 - 2 Arsenal

A match which we didn't deserve to lose, two extremely controversial decisions gave Arsenhole a win. Both goals scored by Henry, both set up by Arsenal's star player, referee Mark Halsey

Goal 1 - Ok, I wasn't annoyed with the fact we conceded the freekick right outside the box, it was the manner in which the freekick itself was taken. Halsey stood in the way of the ball and was speaking with Henry and without even whistling for the kick to be taken, he jumped out of the way, let Henry shoot and score. No whistle was blown, the Villa defence wasn't even prepared for it!

Goal 2 - I have yet to see the incident myself, but I have been told that Kanu ran into Mellberg, thus getting Mellberg booked and getting a penalty for his own team. WHAT THE FUCK?

Absolutely diabolical refereeing, this shouldn't be allowed in the Premiership.

Bookings: Villa - 5, Arsenal - 1

As soon as an Arsenal player went down, the Villa player who made contact with him got booked! Mellberg (previously mentioned), Barry, Whittingham, Hitzlsperger and Johnsen were our "offenders", yet the only person booked for Arsenal was Vieira and that was after a particularly nasty challenge. Biased cunt!

P.S. - My sources tell me that Halsey, and his family, are long time Arsenal fans. Fucking joke, I'm absolutely pissed off with this. His post-game comments on Sky Sports News were humorous. Something along the lines of "And when Henry took the freekick for US... er Arsenal...".

Yeah, fucking cram it where the sun don't shine Halsey, you fucking biased twat! Learn to officiate a game without being so biased or go to Sunday League you filthy piece of arsewank!

Up next - Bolton.

Let's hope we can take our frustrations out on them and bag us a place in the Carling Cup Final

How fun it is to rant!!

Last edited by mattjk_17; 01-18-2004 at 02:20 PM..
Old 01-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Tony, I got the game live at 2am and really enjoyed the way we played. It may not have been vintage to you, but it was the first time all season I can remember us holding onto the ball so well! I think we did it well!...

- In the first-half especially, we put together some neat one-touch passing and didn't let Liverpool get going. We limited them to a few counter-attacks.

- We didn't just hoof it out of defence and give it up on half-way only to have to withstand another assault. Instead, Gardiner led the way by controlling it, and running/passing it out of defence. POISE!! It's what we've been missing in defence/midfield. Really encouraging.

- Hard work in the midfield by Brown and Davies off the ball, kept their midfield under pressure, and created turnover after turnover. I loved the way we kept working up until the final whistle.

I'm fucking estatic that Postiga broke his cherry! He and Keane also worked very hard all game. That should be a confidence boosting result, because we simply didn't allow Liverpool to play.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mattjk_17

A match which we didn't deserve to lose, two extremely controversial decisions gave Arsenhole a win. Both goals scored by Henry, both set up by Arsenal's star player, referee Mark Halsey

Goal 1 - Ok, I wasn't annoyed with the fact we conceded the freekick right outside the box, it was the manner in which the freekick itself was taken. Halsey stood in the way of the ball and was speaking with Henry and without even whistling for the kick to be taken, he jumped out of the way, let Henry shoot and score. No whistle was blown, the Villa defence wasn't even prepared for it!

Goal 2 - I have yet to see the incident myself, but I have been told that Kanu ran into Mellberg, thus getting Mellberg booked and getting a penalty for his own team. WHAT THE FUCK?

As soon as an Arsenal player went down, the Villa player who made contact with him got booked! Mellberg (previously mentioned), Barry, Whittingham, Hitzlsperger and Johnsen were our "offenders", yet the only person booked for Arsenal was Vieira and that was after a particularly nasty challenge. Biased cunt!

P.S. - My sources tell me that Halsey, and his family, are long time Arsenal fans. Fucking joke, I'm absolutely pissed off with this. His post-game comments on Sky Sports News were humorous. Something along the lines of "And when Henry took the freekick for US... er Arsenal...".

Yeah, fucking cram it where the sun don't shine Halsey, you fucking biased twat! Learn to officiate a game without being so biased or go to Sunday League you filthy piece of arsewank!

Up next - Bolton.

Let's hope we can take our frustrations out on them and bag us a place in the Carling Cup Final

How fun it is to rant!!
Matt, if what you've mentioned is even half true, I feel really fucking sorry for you! I'll take a look at the highlight package we get over here tonight, and check it all out. That Halsey fucker sounds like a right shithead.

What I'll definately agree with you right now, is that you can't put a finger on an Arsenal player. Henry and Pires will hold defenders back as they fight for the ball, but the second the defenders try to hold them back as well, they theatrically stop in their tracks and raise their arms to the ref. I fucking hate that! It's unsportsmanlike and arrogant for them to think they're untouchable, yet able to touch anyone themselves! Fucking nancy boys! I'll always remember Pires spitting on Muscat during an Australia v France friendly here in Melbourne a few years back. Dirty. Fucking. Cunt.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Let's hope Liverpool keep the same poor team for wednesday night then
You'll be doing us (oh, and yourselves of course ) a rather large favour if you hold or beat 'em. Congrats on the fighting win over Man U!! I watched that live (I love it when there's an early game!) and was on my feet when Miller scored! Go Wolves!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shakamaker
I watched that live (I love it when there's an early game!) and was on my feet when Miller scored! Go Wolves!

Wuss. I was 8 feet in the air I reckon we can do Ok against liverpool if we play like that again though....I'd settle for a single point just to keep the gap down...

We'll see I guess...
Old 01-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mattjk_17

Up next - Bolton.

How fun it is to rant!!

I watched this game live and I was just as shocked/outraged as you. The first goal was absolutely disgusting, I could not believe what I was seeing. Whilst not breaking official rules, it was a blatant slap in the face of sportsmanship, and another "guideline" (remember when they would take quick throw-ons and try and score, instead of kicking the ball back to the opposition after an injury?) that Arsenal feel they are above sticking to.

The penalty was a dive, plain and simple. O'Leary kept calm and described both decisions as "jokes", and you could tell he wanted to absolutely let rip.

I don't know if that information about the referee supporting Arsenal is true, surely the FA wouldn't allow that??

The reason I am caring less and watching less football is because of games like this. Every single week Arsenal seem to win with "controversial" goals and penalties, and to be honest I'm bored of it.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The TZA
The reason I am caring less and watching less football is because of games like this. Every single week Arsenal seem to win with "controversial" goals and penalties, and to be honest I'm bored of it.
I'm sick of seeing Man U and Arsenal at the top, but I'm far from bored with the Premiership. Games between any teams from 4th to 20th are really tough to predict this season, hence the closeness of the league table. The gap from Europe to relegation is only four and a half wins, and we're into the second half of the season!

Making for a very interesting season when the likes of Leeds are fighting for survival. Wasn't that long ago they were being touted as promising young challengers!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:26 PM

Didn't read all the last posts, but...

...didn't anyone see that goal Laurent Robert scored for Newcastle their last game? Damn. Didn't even do it on purpose...but sweet, sweet on the eyes.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Bolton 5 - 2 Villa

That hurt. That hurt so bloody much!

Goodbye Cardiff.

This has got to be worse than getting beat by Birmingham City.

Advice for O' Leary - Sell Vassell, he's fucking shit! Then, with the money recieved, spend it on a new defender or two, and then buy Freddy Grisales if you want any chance of staying in the Premiership this season. We are so fuckered, but not as fuckered as Leeds (thank God!).

On a higher note - Angel can score 'em like only a God could!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 PM
4 points from our last two games and two kenny miller goals.

i didn't see that coming...

God bless wolves, they played their hearts tonight, despite the fact that they were clearly knackered from saturday.

there is still a little hope.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Quote:
4 points from our last two games and two kenny miller goals.

i didn't see that coming...

God bless wolves, they played their hearts tonight, despite the fact that they were clearly knackered from saturday.

there is still a little hope.
See, it's results like Wolves' last two games that help keep my interest firmly rooted in the EPL! Who would have thought a win over Man U and a draw against Liverpool?!! There's DEFINATELY some hope, Quoth!!

----

Bummer, Matt! Gotta admit Jay-Jay's free kick was decent, though. Consistency proves quality, and Angel is proving consistent. 3-0 to Villa at home out of the question?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Y'know Shaka, I've been doing a bit of thinking, and a 3-0 at home is still possible. Not too long back we stuffed Fulham 3-0 at home, and with Bolton missing Okocha, Frandsen and Nolan from the next game, we may have a chance.

Not counting on it though. I'd be happy if we won it 2-0, just to restore some pride.

Okocha's first free-kick was average, but his second... I knew he'd get it in, in-freaking-credible. I'm unbelievably happy that he won't be in the return game at Villa Park next week, gives us some hope.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean shaka. I can say one thing for being a wolves fan, you never know whats coming next.

There is hope. I'm almost feeling optimistic, almost.

Maybe we might even win an away game before the end of the season

Matt, I feel for ya buddy. But i do agree that the second free kick was jaw dropping.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Go Northampton!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:29 PM
COME ON WIMBLEDON!

What?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Go Northampton!
Hah ha yeah. I used to live five minutes from Sixfields. The town has gone crazy.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:00 AM
West Ham????????????

(defense mode on)

Half the team were knackered from the last two games so I guess asking them to win this, with 5 changes to the ass kicking squad, was a bit much. Bit of a let down, but what is it the managers always say?

Oh yeah...we can concentrate on the league now

ps 2million for Cort? Well, he better bloody do something
Old 01-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Tomorrow night, Bolton...

...and we ain't got Angel!

If we get through to Cardiff, it'll be one of the greatest comebacks of our time! Personally, I reckon it'll be 2-0.

Oh, and David O' Leary has opted not to sign Freddy Grisales, so we've still got a midfield crisis.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 PM

Man United away....fuck!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:20 PM
We still have to get past City on the replay first, matey! They'll be keen as mustard for a 4th-round derby. But the away goal is nice to have up the sleeve, and we've got confidence in the midfield and defence at the moment. I just wish Kanoute was available during this crucial time!

Tale of two halves. City in the first, Spurs in the second. Postiga's miss was glaring. He could've had two or three!

-----

Quoth, pre-Newcastle days I thought Cort looked the goods at Wimbledon. I remember how The Dons used to like to bomb it long, and he'd often have the skill and strength to get on the end of it. So he could pop up a few times late in games, when it's being pumped long, and if he stays healthy, he should put more than a few away, and create chances for others. Terrible run with injury, but he's still only 26!

-----

Good luck Matt! I'll be up early to watch 'em!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
If you're gonna go out of the cup, at least go out in style!

And we did too

I was only asking for a 2-0, just to restore some of our pride, we got it, almost had a penalty at the end but another bastard referee decides to support our opponents! 3 in a row now, what have the bastards in black got against us?

O' Leary - Why the hell did we get Vassell to sign a new contract?

Good to see Crouch trying though
Old 01-29-2004, 12:23 PM
OH MY GOD!!!

We've managed to sign a player!

Nolberto Solano, welcome to Villa Park
Old 01-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Oh the weather outside is frightful...

...but this bloke is so delightful...

...and if he get's an offer to go, please say no please say no please say no!

Sorry, had that song in my head all fucking day. COME THE FUCK ON YOU SPURS!

Tony - 4mil for Hugo Viana and 650k for a young Italian midfielder from Brescia are the latest rumours. Viana is Ginola minus the skill, yeah?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:56 AM
Well we've made three, which, is actually two more than i would have predicted. Carl Cort I hope will live up to expectation. Paul Jones I have always thought was a bit good, and a nice guy too (according to my aunt, who knows hims). Ganea looks like he might have his moments as well-he seems to have a bit of fight in him.

Incidentally I'd just to like make a few teams out there- KEEP YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF RAE YOU RECTAL WARTS!

Old 01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Oh the weather outside is frightful...

...but this bloke is so delightful...

...and if he get's an offer to go, please say no please say no please say no!

Sorry, had that song in my head all fucking day. COME THE FUCK ON YOU SPURS!

Tony - 4mil for Hugo Viana and 650k for a young Italian midfielder from Brescia are the latest rumours. Viana is Ginola minus the skill, yeah?
Viana would be the biggest waste of 4million IMHO but this bloke from Brescia I don't really know much about.

Nice song BTW!

Good luck to everyones teams tomorrow...except Fulham fans of course!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:02 AM
It's time, once again, for Mystic Mug's predictions...

Birmingham City 0 - 1 Newcastle United
Fulham 1 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur
Leicester 1 - 2 Aston Villa
Liverpool 2 - 0 Everton
Manchester United 2 - 0 Southampton
Portsmouth 1 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Leeds United 0 - 2 Middlesbrough
Charlton Athletic 1 - 1 Bolton Wanderers
Old 01-31-2004, 05:22 PM
None of my predictions were right, but Villa did manage to stuff Leicester 5-0.

That's not good enough, it could've been 6.. but Allback's goal was offside

Bring on the Leeds!
Old 02-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Weekend prediction: If Arsenal aren't winning 8-0 by halftime then the officials will help "assist" them to a "controversial" victory again. Boring.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The TZA
Weekend prediction: If Arsenal aren't winning 8-0 by halftime then the officials will help "assist" them to a "controversial" victory again. Boring.

Weird!! Who'd have thought THAT prediction would come true? ZZZZZZZZZZZ what is the point in Arsenal games, seriously?
Old 02-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Bah. The arse are coming to us this weekend...we've already taken on two top teams at home and come out pretty well, heres hoping for a third. After this, and our away game at chelsea, thing don't look so bad for Wolves. We seem to have more in the way of games that we can take points from. That is almost certainly a good thing!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:54 PM

Spurs have signed Jermain Defoe. An excellent player but did we need another striker? I would like to see Nicky Butt and Joe Cole coming in the summer along with Paul Robinson.

Apparantly Robbo was all set to sign but Premiership regulations would not let him sign on loan at Leeds for the rest of the season and then we sign him up.

I think its inevitable he will join Spurs sooner or later.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Tooth Tony
Spurs have signed Jermain Defoe. An excellent player but did we need another striker? I would like to see Nicky Butt and Joe Cole coming in the summer along with Paul Robinson.

Apparantly Robbo was all set to sign but Premiership regulations would not let him sign on loan at Leeds for the rest of the season and then we sign him up.

I think its inevitable he will join Spurs sooner or later.
Tony, I'm absolutely stoked that Defoe has joined Spurs! We've not had a good run with striker signings/injuries for a long time, and I think it's a good idea to keep the stocks high. Remember it's a striker for a striker, as Zamora went the other way. I think we're wisely making long-term decisions here! We're making allowances for international duty and injury by having four quality strikers, along with the promising reserves strikers.

Robinson would be a great summer signing, but summer is a long time away. Wouldn't be surprised if he was offered a job at a club where he would be a walk-on first starter. At Spurs, he's got to compete with Keller, who I consider a fucking excellent shot-stopper.

Are you also happy with Michael Brown? Gotta love the intensity he and Davies have in the midfield, chasing down the ball like dogs! Magic to watch.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Keller's problem is positioning and footwork. He has great hands and refelxexes, but he has always been a little sloppy when it comes to moving around his area. In the US, he may be overtaken by Howard as the #2.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Quote:

Are you also happy with Michael Brown? Gotta love the intensity he and Davies have in the midfield, chasing down the ball like dogs! Magic to watch.
Brown is just going about his job. Nothing spectacular but thats the sort of player we needed. Good to see my mate Digger back as well. Really talented player.

ukcats, I agree with you Keller is an amazing shot stopper but can be caught way off guard at times. I thought Howard was the #1 already?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:01 PM
If you asked Bruce Arena, the US coach, right now who was 1,2,3. It's go like this: Friedel, Keller, Howard. In actuality, the order should probably be Friedel, Howard, Keller, with Howard being the #1 by the next World Cup
Old 02-04-2004, 06:04 PM
What is it with Manchester clubs coming back from a 3-0 defecit at WHL? For a club with such a proud FA Cup record, I'm really disappointed. This'll undoubtably make the next 'Greatest FA Cup Victories' video, which I'll be avoiding like the plague. Not. Happy.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Quote:
What is it with Manchester clubs coming back from a 3-0 defecit at WHL? For a club with such a proud FA Cup record, I'm really disappointed. This'll undoubtably make the next 'Greatest FA Cup Victories' video, which I'll be avoiding like the plague. Not. Happy.
Well it's been all over the morning papers, Sky have been glorifying it non-stop this morning, I'm sick of seeing it.

Shame as I wanted Spurs to win last night (I hate Man City after what happen to us at the CoM Stadium this season). At least you can focus on the league now, here's hoping you hit a real good run of form like we did not too long back