Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2003, 08:31 PM
I haven't posted here in a little while mostly due to the depressive state of Liverpools season.
The result of the Man U game was like a bullet in the gut, I am dreading a possable mid table postion at the end of the this season.
Do you realise we haven't beaten ANY of the top three and our form is desparate and teasing.
Everytime it looks like we could string a few results togther a football TITAN like Charlton kicks us into touch.
Also as much as I like heskey we really need to get hoild of Cisse to put real flash into the liverpool fire.
Another sad fact a player I tipped to hit the big time...Mellor is struggling at West Ham.

Ohhhhhh......
Old 11-21-2003, 05:01 PM
El Predictionios... or however you wanna put it

Birmingham City 0 - 1 Arsenal
Everton 2 - 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Leeds United 1 - 2 Bolton Wanderers
Leicester City 0 - 3 Charlton Athletic
Manchester United 3 - 1 Blackburn Rovers
Middlesbrough 1 - 1 Liverpool
Newcastle United 2 - 0 Manchester City
Southampton 0 - 2 Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 1 Aston Villa

Wonder how many I'll get right... not many I bet!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:39 PM

Well Leeds are well and truly finished. When you lose to Bolton at home you deserve to be relegated.

Tomorrow has 0-0 written all over it. Villa struggling away and we are just struggling full stop. C'mon Keano we need a repeat of the performance for Eire on Tuesday.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:18 PM
And we need Angel to do what he did in mid-week against Argentina!

Still, methinks a draw.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Tottenham 2 - 1 Villa

We are so relegation material right now, it hurts me to admit I'm a Villa fan.

I'm lost for words, this is fucking awful Either Ellis dies or steps down some time this week or we're doomed. January ain't good enough for me.

Goodbye Premiership, it's been a fun 11 seasons!

(Still, it could be worse, I could support Leeds... )
Old 11-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mattjk_17
Tottenham 2 - 1 Villa

We are so relegation material right now, it hurts me to admit I'm a Villa fan.

I'm lost for words, this is fucking awful Either Ellis dies or steps down some time this week or we're doomed. January ain't good enough for me.

Goodbye Premiership, it's been a fun 11 seasons!

(Still, it could be worse, I could support Leeds... )
I thought you were unlucky at least deserved a share of the spoils. We werent much better. If Villa are relegation material we can't be far off?

Villa won't get relegated.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:25 PM
I wish I could believe you Tony, I really do. I know every team eventually has to have a poor spell but this poor spell has been going on (away from home) since the beginning of last season, it was our home form which kept us up.

All I know is there's gonna be one hell of a protest this coming Saturday at the Southampton game at Villa Park.

Upcoming games:
Southampton (H) (Last season 0-1)
Man United (A) (Last season 1-1)
Wolves (H) (Last season N/A)

I see 2 points, if we're lucky. Let's hope United cock up against us eh?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Quote:
I wish I could believe you Tony, I really do. I know every team eventually has to have a poor spell but this poor spell has been going on (away from home) since the beginning of last season, it was our home form which kept us up.

All I know is there's gonna be one hell of a protest this coming Saturday at the Southampton game at Villa Park.

Upcoming games:

I see 6 points there, and I'm not just being patronising, after Spurs got up over Villa. Soon you'll be joining us in mid-table mediocrity!

I can't believe it, but I've still not lost my patience with Postiga. He's missed so many clear-cut chances but at least he's getting into goal-scoring position a lot, which is something we've lacked in recent years. It's just a matter of time before he's poaching them. Keane's a class act. Looking forward to him and Kanoute teaming up for a long spell.

A happy Sunday for me, with Hearts beating Hibs as well! Two own-goals no less! JCR will be over the moon.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:27 AM
2-0. totally shafted. i dont know what you have to complain about Matt, it could be a lot worse.

and we have newcastle on saturday, who are probably going to totally rape us.

bah. woe is me.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Quote:

Upcoming games:

Last season at Old Trafford I thought Forlan scored a last minute winner for United?
Old 11-25-2003, 10:37 AM
A tough hard fought win this weekend for my boys this past weekend...beautiful passing play to set up Melchiot for the game winner. CL tomorrow and MU this weekend...time to make a statement lads and take them down!
Old 11-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The TZA
Last season at Old Trafford I thought Forlan scored a last minute winner for United?
Nah, Olof Mellberg scored an opener for us (his only Villa goal to date) and Forlan got an equaliser about 13 minutes from time.

Say... that was the first time we scored away from home last season too
Old 11-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Puck Bond
A tough hard fought win this weekend for my boys this past weekend...beautiful passing play to set up Melchiot for the game winner. CL tomorrow and MU this weekend...time to make a statement lads and take them down!

Every single match has been a "hard fought win" for Chelsea this season. I seriously hate them, they're just the new "it thing" for the commentators to wet themselves over, like France and Brazil and Zinidane Zidane (shit, by the way). Here's to another "lucky" 1-0 win tonight!

Also, I predict Chelsea 0 Man Utd 6
Old 11-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Even though the scoreline was 2-1, Man U were in complete control over Blackburn. They showed me the best passing I've seen so far this season, and were fucking entertaining to watch. I think they gel better than Chelsea at the moment, and should win it.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Chelsea draw 0-0, so I was almost right. Everyone at work was saying "Chelsea are amazing, they'll win at least 4-0 blah blah" ZZZZZZZZ. I am a genius, I know everything.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Quote:
I am a genius, I know everything.

yay for the football oracle

so are wolves going to stay up?

Old 11-27-2003, 11:49 AM
You are wise coming to me for your football fortune since I know everything, as has been well documented previously (check my excellent 0-10% success rate on Premiership weekend predictions).

Hmmmm Wolves...... I would predict relegation. But from what I've seen there are at least three teams worse than Wolves right now. However, I think Wolves will start struggling again in the next month or so. Leeds look dead and buried too.

Who does everyone else expect to get relegated this year?
Old 11-27-2003, 12:43 PM
I had four picks to be honest

Leicester
Bolton
Leeds
Wolves

now i know we are better than leicester. i am sure of it. and i am sure leeds are totally fucked.

i dunno, maybe villa as well?
Old 11-27-2003, 12:53 PM
You predicted Leeds to be relegated pre-season??? I sure as hell didn't. My picks were Wolves, Bolton, Leicester, Middlesboro and Chelsea. As it stands right now I don't see Blackburn or Everton being stuck down at the bottom come May, it looks like a four-way between Leeds, Wolves, Bolton and Leicester.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:57 PM
maybe not on here, but yes i did have a bad feeling about leeds pre-season. lots of convos with my mate about the whole thing pre-season and we did have a feeling about leeds then which has come true so far. i have a feeling they may just freefall through the divisions as well. assuming they last that long financially...

i hope wolves make it. part of me wants to believe we can make it. the other part of me is a bit more of a pessimist

Old 11-27-2003, 01:05 PM

I predicted...

Charlton
Leicester
Wolves

Boy is my face red with the Charlton prediction. I'll replace them with ooh lets see...Arsenal. Hey it could happen...right?
Old 11-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Bolton
Leicester
Birmingham - Erk!

The only thing 'going down' at Arsenal, Tony, is Sol on Viera.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:49 PM
finally, a little faith in wolves from shaka i knew i could count on someone hehe.

oh well. atleast i can sleep at night knowing we are better than leicester and not as fucked as leeds
Old 11-29-2003, 05:12 PM
A win over Southampton, just what we needed, only Dion could do it

United next week at the Theatre of Nightmares, then Quoth's lot... er, what are they called again?
Old 11-30-2003, 11:38 AM
You guys probably don't know this, but tonight is one of the biggest games in the French Ligue 1 season: Olympique de Marseille vs. Paris Saint-Germain (at Marseille). Sure, our teams are no Juve, or no AS Roma, and definitely no Real Madrid, but these are the most mythic clubs in France, and there's a huge rivalry between both clubs, both fans and players. I'm a Paris fan...so here's hoping we're gonna kick some butt tonight.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Yeah I remember when both of those teams were actually good, but now Monaco appear to be your strongest team.

Just saw Chelsea beat Man Utd - they deserved it, but only just, despite the pundits being paid off to kiss Chelski's ass. United were just lazy and didn't play until Ronaldo came on (which happened way too late). Chelsea still haven't impressed me, and will only win the title if United and Arsenal keep playing the way that they have been (poorly). Oh, and Arsenal deserved to win against Fulham, but their finishing was pretty shit.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Yeah I remember when both of those teams were actually good, but now Monaco appear to be your strongest team.
That they are...the bastards!

Just to cue on my post -- Paris won 1-0, a goal by Fabrice Fiorèse at the 90th minute. The first-half was even, the second one was clearly at Marseille's advantage, the refereeing was horrible all along (against both sides, but tougher on Paris), but Paris finally scored on a counter-attack. Yay!
Old 11-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Steve Carr = unlucky. That's twice in three games a shot has deflected off him.

Haven't seen any highlights of any games yet. What was the Chelsea v man U game like? Was the pen there?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by James Logan
That they are...the bastards!

Just to cue on my post -- Paris won 1-0, a goal by Fabrice Fiorèse at the 90th minute. The first-half was even, the second one was clearly at Marseille's advantage, the refereeing was horrible all along (against both sides, but tougher on Paris), but Paris finally scored on a counter-attack. Yay!
Whatever happened to the French teams, is it purely because all the talented players moved to England and Italy and Spain? PSG used to be great, and did well in the Cup Winners Cup a few times (when that tournament was actually good). And Marseille were good too (albeit they cheated to win the European Cup). Lyon won in Bayern, was that a huge shock or are they doing well in the league?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shakamaker
Steve Carr = unlucky. That's twice in three games a shot has deflected off him.

Haven't seen any highlights of any games yet. What was the Chelsea v man U game like? Was the pen there?
The Chelsea-United game was okay, but neither team played that well. Chelsea were much stronger in midfield, but their defence was a mess (despite the commentators saying how solid they looked). If Ronaldo had started and run at them, UNited would have won. It looked like a penalty, but I really need to see it again - Keane didn't touch the ball, but I'm not convinced he felled their player either.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Well I have a feeling I will get 2 out of 3:

18:Leeds United
19:Charlton
20: Leicester City

Also a little lift at the weekend with with win over Birmingham I think Steve Bruce should keep his mouth shut.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Whatever happened to the French teams, is it purely because all the talented players moved to England and Italy and Spain? PSG used to be great, and did well in the Cup Winners Cup a few times (when that tournament was actually good). And Marseille were good too (albeit they cheated to win the European Cup). Lyon won in Bayern, was that a huge shock or are they doing well in the league?
-- Well, there's the best players leaving factor for sure. There's also the fact that French teams aren't willing to pay higher salaries, so players just leave if they can make better money. And as the 90s went by, the French teams declined, and now it's "traditional" knowledge for a player to figure he'll get more exposure and a bigger palmares playing in Spain, Italy or England than for a French club.

-- PSG went to a couple of bad seasons after Rai, Youri Djorkaeff, David Ginola and their guys left. Then we came back, finished the season 2nd a couple of times...but the problem with the PSG is that there's been no discipline whatsoever inside the club since 1995, and we've screwed up everything we did. We let Nicolas Anelka go to England, he kicks butt, we buy him back, he sucks nuts. We spend millions on Ronaldinho, he finally gets into a feud with the coach and we gotta let him go to Barcelona. Sucks. Hope we'll keep Pauleta this time.

-- The whole cheating affair in Marseille kinda sunk the club. Most of the big players had to leave, Cantona left, Papin retired...Then Marseille had a great team, led by Robert Pires and Christophe Dugarry, but they went through a bad period of 10 games or so. Usually, teams just live through those or make changes -- in Marseille, though, the fans went mad, started throwing rocks at the players and stuff. So Pires bailed out, so did Dugarry, and Marseille's been in the crapper ever since. They have a better team this year, with Mido, Steve Marlet and perhaps Fabien Barthez next year, but still not European-caliber.

-- Lyon's good. They're the best team we got with Monaco, so them beating Bayern surprised no one in France (besides, they play good against Bayern). The problem with Lyon is there's a TON of great offensive players (Elber and Govou for instance), but the defense centers itself around Edmilson and Caçapa, who can be good but tend to perform irregularly.

There ya go...anything else?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:23 PM
5-1!!!!!!!! 5-1!!!!!!!

argggggggggggh!

oh well. villa and spurs next two league matches. 6 easy points
Old 12-02-2003, 09:07 PM
And an Arsenal reserve team, at that.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shakamaker
And an Arsenal reserve team, at that.

dont let that fool you. id suggest that even the reserves are better than a good proportion of premier teams

it didnt help that wolves were shit though.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:49 PM

Off to the game tonight. We need to beat Man City the cups are our only hope for Europe this season...we have a relegation dog fight on our hands.

Then Wolves on Saturday...hey things are looking up!

Oh Yeah Quoth were you at the game on Saturday? That firework incident was terrible

Also the one minute silence debacle last night at the Southampton/Portsmouth game sickened me.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Tooth Tony

Then Wolves on Saturday...hey things are looking up!

Oh Yeah Quoth were you at the game on Saturday? That firework incident was terrible

I think we might just surprise you tony. dont count your chickens just yet

and i work at the ground on matchdays, so i am there every home match its cheap of me, but it works and that firework wasnt far off where i would normally have been sitting had i not been moved to a different stand. it was awful though. really took away from what was a good game.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:05 PM
3-1 Postiga scores! Kanoute returns (and scores)! Sick-note scores!

Look, I know it's only the League Cup, but it's our only chance for Europe. With Man U and Liverpool bowing out, it's opened things up a bit.

Fixtures for the quarters...

Spurs v Middlesbrough
Bolton v Southampton
Villa v Chelsea
West Brom v Arsenal

Last edited by Shakamaker; 12-03-2003 at 06:23 PM..
Old 12-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Angel back to scoring and a McCann goal to see us past Palace and into the quarter finals.

Cup predictions:

Tottenham 2 - 1 Boro
Villa 1 - 1 Chelsea (with ET and Pens to decide)
Bolton 2 - 1 Southampton
Arsenal 4 - 1 West Brom

I'd love to see Villa creep past Chelsea with a 1-0, just as Chelsea seem to be doing against most teams themselves lately
Old 12-04-2003, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
I think we might just surprise you tony. dont count your chickens just yet

and i work at the ground on matchdays, so i am there every home match its cheap of me, but it works and that firework wasnt far off where i would normally have been sitting had i not been moved to a different stand. it was awful though. really took away from what was a good game.
You'll give us a game alright no doubt about it.

Last night we were very good. Man City might as well not turned up for the first half they were shite and devoid of any confidence. Helder's goal was really well taken. Couldn't really see it where I was sitting but good on him.

Freddie back and scores straight away. I take it all back what I said at the begining of the season. Looking forward to Saturday now.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Tooth Tony
You'll give us a game alright no doubt about it.

if we react well to the arsenal thing, we are going to give you a real handful. if we roll over and die again, then you're going to fuck us totally.

but saturday is a checkpoint for wolves as far as i am concerned. if we can win, then i will have a small level of faith restored. if we get raped, then you can sign and seal it---relegation time.

thats how much importance i am placing on it scary, non?