Old 10-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Bloom and epics...

Seriously, what's with Orlando Bloom and doing almost exclusively epic-y ensemble/fantasy films? Pirates of the Caribbean, Troy, Lord of the Rings 1, 2, and 3, and to a certain extent, Ned Kelly (which is an epic in another way, but is also an ensemble piece)...and now Kingdom of Heaven with Ridley Scott...hell, even Black Hawk Down was an ensemble big budget movie...

I think he's a good actor (from what I've seen) but it'd be nice to see him in some other, perhaps smaller movies that are more drama. since the first Lord of the Rings, the only other movie that hasn't had a huge budget that he's done is The Calcium Kid (which i haven't seen)

Then again, he does play the characters in epics well, and when I hear his name attached to any movie, it interests me mildly rite now (I'm keeping an eye on him as maybe the next Brad Pitt?) so it doesn't really matter

But again, it'd be nice to see him in a smaller dramatic film so we can see his acting chops without any of the big special effects, scenery, or distractions in our way.

Anyway, as for his upcoming movies: I'm looking forward to Return of the King and Troy most definitely, Ned Kelly a bit less (i was looking forward to it until i heard some negative feedback), and now Kingdom of Heaven I'm tentatively looking forward to. I thought Gladiator was alright, but the Crusades sounds like an interesting choice of background story...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:26 AM
The one thing I know they're gonna do with Troy is make Helen of Troy some skinny little, tanned girl instead of how she really would've looked. Back then they liked their women plump and pale. Movies always seem to forget hw fat rich women really were. They would've loved me back then.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Bloom may not be in Kingdom of Heaven.
Ridley Scott is considering Paul Bettany for the part...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/45...html?fromint=1
Old 10-04-2003, 10:19 AM
I love epics, and I dig Orlando Bloom in 'em. So I'll keep enjoying seeing him in them.

As for KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, as much as I like Paul Bettany, I'd rather see Orlando get the part. I think he'd do a great job of it, and it could help him achieve the post-Legolas stardom stability he deserves.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MonkeyGoat
The one thing I know they're gonna do with Troy is make Helen of Troy some skinny little, tanned girl instead of how she really would've looked. Back then they liked their women plump and pale. Movies always seem to forget hw fat rich women really were. They would've loved me back then.
RE: If you look at the art of ancient Greek, the women are in very tight condition. Just think of Venus De Milo. The people in ancient Greek admired strong physical condition. They didn't create Olympics for nothing.

Since Helen is originall a fictional character, I would imagine her to fit the ideals of the time. Besides, she lived long times in Sparta. A nation known for the fact that everyone was in extremely good shape physically.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:22 PM
ya well, the ancient greeks also liked young boys too.
will they show that.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka
RE: If you look at the art of ancient Greek, the women are in very tight condition. Just think of Venus De Milo. The people in ancient Greek admired strong physical condition. They didn't create Olympics for nothing.

Since Helen is originall a fictional character, I would imagine her to fit the ideals of the time. Besides, she lived long times in Sparta. A nation known for the fact that everyone was in extremely good shape physically.
Exactly what I wanted to say. And if you read original manuscripts, stories, legends, and the ILIAD, Helen is described as being one extremely hot babe. And trust me, I know Diane Kruger (the actress who portrays her in TROY) and met her once briefly here in France...and she fits the bill.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:41 AM
But then that just says you have to be skinny and fit to be beautiful. I must be hideous with my hourglas, fair skin, round smooth face, and Hungarian look.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Let me just say that I will see anything Orlando Bloom does...this guy is going to be a monstrous hit in Hollywood. Also take into account that no matter what he does, it is going to be a big hit with women the world over. He has become an international sex symbol, and the fact that he can actually act is just icing on the cake. I'm sure, given time, he'll settle in and make some more dramatic films, but for right now I'm happy with what he's doing!
Old 10-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka

Exactly. Venus De Milo was from the Hellinistic period, and perfectly captured what was then favorable of the human body. Another good example of this is the Torso Of Aphrodite by Praxiteles. Seen here... http://www.dia.org/collections/ancie...ce/24.4med.jpg

Boy, I didn't think my History of Art class would ever pay off.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 PM
orlando bloom certainly seems to know how to pick his projects though...apparently he just closed the deal to star in Elizabethtown for Cameron Crowe, filming to start in early summer. (from darkhorizons)

I mean look at this:
Black Hawk Down
Fellowship of the Ring/Two Towers/Return of the King
Pirates of the Caribbean
Kingdom of Heaven
Troy
Elizabethtown

black hawk down i wasn't a big fan of but i know lots who were. the lotr trilogy - well, we all know how that turned out lol, pirates rocked and kingdom of heaven is a ridley scott film which means that chances are it'll be good, and Troy and Elizabethtown are my 2 most anticipated upcoming films. If nothing else, it's definitely nice to see him finally break away from the epic mode and for a project which will hopefully turn out great. He's definitely an actor to watch out for (i mean, it's not often that one actor is in both of my most anticipated films coming out soon)- though I don't think we've really seen the extent of his talents yet...we'll see soon if he ends up being the next Brad Pitt or not...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Elizabeth will pretty much be the test of his acting skills in my opinion, since in most of the big budget movies hes starred in, he never had to emote much, and had the benefit of ensembles, so if he screwed up, then there'll be other actors to make up for it. Bloom doesn't have that benefit with Elizabethtown, since he'll have to be believeable in the peachy Cameron Crowe world