Old 10-29-2003, 03:18 PM
The Walking Dead

Has anyone else checked out this kickass new comic from Image? It's in black-white-gray tones, and tells the story of a small-town cop who gets shot on duty, and wakes up in the hospital to find that zombies are taking over (shades of 28 days later). Lots of action, very decent art, and the writing so far is dead on (no pun intended). If you haven't seen this one, I highly recommend searching it out.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Damn, NOBODY else is reading this comic? I highly recommend it; it has the potential to be a great series.

By the way, issue #2 is out today. I'm definitely gonna pick it up!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:55 AM

I read an article on this comic, and saw some of the artwork.

I came to the conclusion that its first issue is too much like a rip off from 28 days later...but that I will buy it simply because its artwork looks amazing and its writer has promised to take the story in a totally different direction then 28 days later...he mentioned his taking a more epic feel to the story, wich I think is amazing.

Ill try and order these over the internet.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:12 PM
I wanted to pick it up, but none of the stores I've been in have had it!
Old 11-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by spacemonkey
I read an article on this comic, and saw some of the artwork.

I came to the conclusion that its first issue is too much like a rip off from 28 days later...but that I will buy it simply because its artwork looks amazing and its writer has promised to take the story in a totally different direction then 28 days later...he mentioned his taking a more epic feel to the story, wich I think is amazing.

Ill try and order these over the internet.
I think I mentioned this in the thread over on the horror forum. 28 Days Later already rips off/pays homage to (delete where appropriate) the John Wyndham novel Day Of The Triffids (wherein the main character wakes up in hospital to discover that the world has gone to shit...just replace zombies with giant, sentient, alien plants). And I do believe that the initial scenes from The Walking Dead probably drew inspiration from that book rather than from 28 Days Later. It's very likely that the writer of The Walking Dead hadn't actually saw 28 Days Later when he started working on the comic. I believe that it's just coincidence.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:59 AM

Yeah thats what he said on that interview I read that it was just "coincidence" but the similarities are just to much.

Anyhows rent this movie called "The quiet Earth" its quite possible that the creator of The Walking Dead also saw that movie while making his comic. Im sure Danny Boyle also saw this film...they all start with that shot from above with the main character unconscious on a bed and naked.

Either way, I dont really mind that since it looks like a quality comic book that I will defenetly be aquiring and liking very much.

Last edited by spacemonkey; 11-26-2003 at 09:02 AM..
Old 07-17-2005, 09:32 AM
I picked up the latest issue of The Walking Dead and, as is customary, I delved into what is fast becoming the best letters page in comicdom. In answering a letter Robert Kirkman let drop one of the most awesome pieces of comic book news i've heard in some time. This November (just in time for Christmas) Image are unleashing a Deluxe Hardback collecting together in a single volume the first 24 issues of The Walking Dead. I urge...no fuck it...I command every single schmoe with even a passing interest in the zombie genre to speak very kindly to their parents/partners/affluent friends and start dropping subtle hints about how much they would love to own this book in the hope that Santa might bring them several hundred pages of B&W zombie mayhem. This is not only the best horror comic ever written and drawn but the best comic book currently being published. It's an epic masterpiece in the making. Y'all know what to do.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
I have I think number 3, or like 6.... Whichever one has the main character meeting everyone in the camp.... And it was good, and I wish I had more of them.... I'm just waiting for it to end, and hoping that these sons of bitches release it in one big epic TBP.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chasingbanky
I have I think number 3, or like 6.... Whichever one has the main character meeting everyone in the camp.... And it was good, and I wish I had more of them.... I'm just waiting for it to end, and hoping that these sons of bitches release it in one big epic TBP.
If you're waiting for it to end I hope you're pretty damn patient. This isn't going to to be a 30 or 40 issue maxi-series. Kirkman has no idea how long it's going to run for. He just knows it's going to be a looooooooong time. A loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. If you don't have the moolah to splash out on the no doubt expensive hardcover I mentioned above then I would recommend picking up the four VERY affordable trades that have hit the stores so far. It's the best comic out there and every indication suggests that it's just gonna keep getting better.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
If you're waiting for it to end I hope you're pretty damn patient. This isn't going to to be a 30 or 40 issue maxi-series. Kirkman has no idea how long it's going to run for. He just knows it's going to be a looooooooong time. A loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. If you don't have the moolah to splash out on the no doubt expensive hardcover I mentioned above then I would recommend picking up the four VERY affordable trades that have hit the stores so far. It's the best comic out there and every indication suggests that it's just gonna keep getting better.
The 4 tpb's will do then... Good looking out.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I can't really see 28 DAYS LATER in this comic, to tell the truth. I haven't read the first TPB yet, but from what I could tell, it's more like DAWN OF THE DEAD, only longer. You can tell most of this spawned from a conversation about what the creators would do if they were in a situation such as that one. It's just freakin' awesome, IMO.

If you don't read this comic, you're doing yourself a disservice. Trust me.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I've got the first two trade paperbacks. I loved the first one, but the second one was badly drawn by the new artist. I gave up after that.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Otis Driftwood
I've got the first two trade paperbacks. I loved the first one, but the second one was badly drawn by the new artist. I gave up after that.
To each their own but I think that Charlie Adlard took on the difficult task of taking over from Tony Moore and came through in style. His linework is a little less diciplined than that of Mr. Moore but he improves dramatically as the story progresses and now I can't imagine anyone else drawing the comic. Add to this the fact that the story just goes from strength to strength and the masterful way in which Kirkman allows his characters to grow in a believable manner and i'd have to say that I think you made a mistake. The Walking Dead is the best comic book currently being published. Irrespective of genre. Actually...it trancends genre.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I love these comics, i have the entire novel collection of them and also book #4 just arrived last week which i was so suprised to see out so early due to me practically having to go to every comic collector in this city and asking for the previous novels.

I think in issue #4 everyone is just going through the emotions, and friendships and relationships crack as the stress intensifies.

If you get all the graphic novels and put them side by side together the zombies on the cover continue onto the next issues cover so it looks like a big line of zombies. Pretty cool.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Ive read the first 2 volumes, and fucking evey moment of this comic. The only thing that pisses me off is it always ends when it gets really good. No matter, ill wait a while and wait for my next paycheck and buy #3.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Only read the first trade paperback but it blew me away! Love zombies and comics, but NEVER expected a comic to actually chill me the way that one did...
Old 02-02-2007, 10:51 AM
This is by far my favorite comic series out right now. I'm up to book 5 and eagerly awaiting the next one.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
THE WALKING DEAD used to be the single best comic being published today. Over the last year or so though the story has grown unwieldy, the cast has ballooned to the point where most of the new "characters" are just vaugue impressions, and, worst of all, the story has fallen prey to the dread cancer of serial story-telling, decompression. Don't get me wrong, I still think DEAD is a great comic book, but it's nowhere near the quality it used to be.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:10 AM
I read Trades one and two, maybe even got to three.
However, the characters were uninteresting to me, and it (as it wanted to be) wasn't really a ZOMBIE series more than just a sappy melodrama in a zombie backdrop.

"Oh, this person dies. We have to move somewhere else."

"This New Land is so much better! No zombies around!"
"Oh, I'm in love. Oh shit! A zombie somehow snuck up on me in a moment of idiotic unattentiveness and killed my lover! I must take revenge!!"

"Time to move somewhere else."
Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 PM
So when does book six come out? Amazon says today, and yet it appear not.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Mute youd have to go and have Books a million order it and have them either ship it to you or ship it to the store, my local stores refuse to carry the trades but on occasion ive been able to find them in store.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I had the same problem - book 6 was supposed to be out five days ago and my local comic book store still hadn't recived it.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I took it off the order, as the rest of it involved my wifes birthday present and needed it to ship, and of course the next day its freaking available to ship and everything.