Old 11-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Stephen King: Pedophilia and Pennywise

Now I just finished It and the Shining, and besides being over the top in nature, I was disturbed by some of the comments King had inserted in there.

It- For starters, Beverly's small breasts mentioned MANY time as small and growing, and even some of her playing and lastly, it stands out the most clearly of a sick kid and the neighborhood bully in the dump lighting farts until it eventually leads to a yucky little session of Patrick touching Henry. If I remember correctly, there was also a gang-bang session between Bev and the rest of the kids.

The Shining- Shining mentioned Danny's penis a few times, that's all I can remember. But, regardless it's still disgusting.

I haven't had the "pleasure" of reading any of King's other stuff, but ya know. What do you guys gotta say?
Old 11-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Steven King is one fucked-up novelist.

I also heard that the moon is around a quarter million miles away from the Earth.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:33 PM
I personally dont find it disgusting. I think king especially with IT was making a comment about ramapant closet homosexuality and homophobia during the 60s and 70s. Notice how the bullies favorite insult is always fag while they are gay themselves or at least Henry is.

If this bothers I would suggest you tread King with caution. Hes not PG.

It is number 4 on my top ten of all time.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:14 AM
I have read all of King's books.

You'll also get a good dose of debauchery in The Stand. Hell, there are a number of OTHER books that have CHARACTERS IN THE BOOK, who might happen to be children, doing things that might be inappropriate.

It's about trying to bring life to the story, and give personalities and experiences to the characters. It's not excessive. He's just trying to establish motives for some of the characters' actions, and give a sense of realism to who these people are.

In fact, if you compare any of his books to many many many other writers out there, he doesn't make much of a blip on the 'pedophile' radar.

For Heaven's sake, I disagree strongly with this implication.

I guess you shouldn't start reading John Irving any time soon. Just a suggestion.

But that's your opinion, and you have all the right in the world to not read his books. I wouldn't think you'd want to venture any farther into his storytelling if you're bothered by it.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:43 AM
I was actually just pointing it out. I enjoyed It very much, but thought that was an interesting comment to make on the book.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:06 AM
I personally have never found anything wrong with Stephen King.

However, I suggest you never read 'Flowers in the Attic" by V.C. Andrews. If you think Kings books are bad when it comes to kids and sex, whoo!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:39 PM
It's been awhile since I read It, and I can't for the life of me remember the "penis" reference in The Shining (perhaps you can supply some context), but it's important to discern between an author using sex and sexual references to establish or develop character or theme or what have you, and when he or she is using it to titillate the reader. I've noticed most "good" sex in King's novels, i.e. sexual relations between two consenting individuals as an expression of love or bonding, is usually covered pretty briefly. "Bad" sex, like Patrick touching Henry (and offering fellatio, if I remember correctly) is given more detail, but it's made to be distasteful and even grotesque. King's intent with the dump scene in It is meant, pretty obviously, to deliver a sense of discomfort and wrongness. Also, in It, the kids are heading toward adolescence and becoming aware of their own bodies and the changes that are taking place. These references, as I remember, are pretty sexually neutral, and I never got any salacious impressions from these passages. The "gang-bang" in in It, I will admit, caught me completely off-guard, and I'm not exactly sure I understand its point to this day, but again my recollection is a bit foggy and if I sat down and read it again King's intentions, whether successfully employed or not, might become clearer.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Sometimes i think people go to far. I once came across a theory which pointed to paedophilic undertones in Wuthering heights.

i treated that the same i will treat this. cynically.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:09 PM
I've heard of an academic essay that suggests homoerotic overtones between Jim and Huck in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, based solely on the fact that Jim sometimes addresses Huck using the endearment "honey." Some people have a lot of time on their hands.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:02 AM
It and The Shining are both excellent work from Stephen King, and some of my very favorite books by this author. I don't see anything wrong, because these passages relate to the characters experiences in the book. Both books were very well written and enjoyed by many, I have never found anything wrong with either book.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Are you people blind? I never said I had a problem with either book, just I found these interesting a tad disturbing. Jesus. I found this an interesting topic of discussion, I never said there was anything wrong with any of King's works...
Old 11-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Your first post and the title of the thread makes it seem like you're suggesting King is a pedophile. I know you're not, but I think people might be reacting to the way you breached the subject, without bothering to read all the posts.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:38 AM
Yes they are characters in a book. Also what must be taken into consideration is that Stephen King lived in the town of Derry Maine in the 60s and 70s, thats why most of his books are set there. (write what you know eh) So technically there may actually be someone like Henry there.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:58 AM
Re: Stephen King: Pedophilia and Pennywise

Quote:
Originally posted by Briare Rabbit
Are you people blind? I never said I had a problem with either book, just I found these interesting a tad disturbing. Jesus. I found this an interesting topic of discussion, I never said there was anything wrong with any of King's works...
Hm. Well, I will go back to the original post here:

Quote:
Originally posted by Briare Rabbit
... and besides being over the top in nature, I was disturbed by some of the comments King had inserted in there...

... It- Beverly's small breasts mentioned MANY time...
...[the neighborhood bully] eventually leads to a yucky little session of Patrick touching Henry...
...If I remember correctly, there was also a gang-bang session between Bev and the rest of the kids...

...The Shining- Shining mentioned Danny's penis a few times, that's all I can remember. But, regardless it's still disgusting...

...I haven't had the "pleasure" of reading any of King's other stuff...
When I read those lines, I took it as you being thouroughly disgusted by King's writing, and more than insinuated his character development as pedophiliac in nature. Not trying to add fuel to the fire here, but it's hard to read sarcasm when it's written sometimes, and the way I took this sarcasm (if that's what it was) was percieved as cynicism.
You're not the first person to say slanderous things about King's writing - and it's certainly not the worst - but like I'd say to any other protestor of ANY writer/filmaker/musician, etc...
You have the right to freedom of speech as much as they do, and you also have the right to refuse exposing yourself to that kind of media.

I realize that you weren't intending to start a flame thread, as you stated in the first quote I mentioned. No hard feelings. It's all cool. The way I read the first post, it came across as disgust to all that you read by him, and I felt the mention of King's attempt at telling a story in these instances was justified. What kid growing up doesn't notice the changes in their body, eh?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:00 PM
I too thought you where flaming King (thank god i read all the posts)

but i see nothing wrong with the way King writes and I also don't recall any mention of danny's penis in the book other then what happened in the one hoel room.

Now the gang bang in the sewer was more like sloppy seconds, thirds etc, and it was to make the group closer to be able to get out of the sewer
Old 11-17-2003, 11:14 PM
Just wanted to point out to adamjohnson that the town of Derry, Maine is entirely fictional. King just made it up. However, it does seem to parallel Bangor, Maine, where King lives. Bangor also has an old standpipe, and a large Paul Bunyan Statue.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:01 PM
I am reading the Shining and the only part I have come across talking about Danny, was when Wendy was remembering giving birth and they held up the baby and she knew it was a boy because she saw "his little sex"

Last edited by Avid_Fan; 12-02-2003 at 06:02 PM..
Old 12-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Sexual awareness at that age is normal. If he skipped over it for some deep buried reason we'd realize that and they'd seem less real to us.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Definitely an interesting topic. The Shining and It are the only two King novels I have ever read. I didn't really notice anything with The Shining but It definitely had some fucked up situations. Still the best book I have ever read though. Yeah that scene with Henry Bowers getting sucked off was surprising though. Sort of came out of (the closet) left field. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.