Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2002, 08:49 AM
I can't wait until it comes out. The book was awesome. I hope it comes out early 2004.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:10 PM
You might get your wish. Rumor has it to release June 04.

http://www.moviehole.net/news.php?newsid=814
Old 01-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Coming Soon! reports that the WB has officialy denied the rumors that either Ian McKellen(The Lord of the Rings) or Michael Gambon(Sleepy Hollow) will play Dumbledore......

Both TV Guide and Entertainment Tonight are now saying that E! Online was incorrect in reporting that Michael Gambon was cast as Professor Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

According to both news outlets, Warner Bros. denied both rumors that Michael Gambon or Ian McKellen will play the role. The studio had no further comments about the casting.

The McKellen rumor has been around for a while now, but the Gambon rumor is fresh. This is what E! Online reported.....

Michael Gambon, who picked up Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for his virtuoso performance as Lyndon Johnson in HBO's Path to War, will be donning the robes as Dumbledore for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, according to a source familiar with the production.

Although the exact terms of Gambon's deal are not known, he'll presumably play Dumbledore in the remaining Potter films. Aside from Prisoner of Azkaban, Warner Bros. is committed to turning Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire into a film. J.K. Rowling's still-in-the-works Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the two planned but untitled final installments are also likely destined for celluloid, but no timetable is in place.

Once again, that proved to be ENTIRELY UNTRUE.

Here is a photo of Mr. Gambon...
Thanks to the IMDB for that.

I must say I am getting worried. The shooting is not far off, and the script is finished. Almost every great senior citizen British actor has been denied by the WB. I hope we get an annoucement soon who'll fill Dumbledore's pointy hat.

Last edited by dh1989; 01-02-2003 at 03:22 PM..
Old 01-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Here is a list of ALL actors who have been officialy denied by the WB to receive the part of Albus Dumbledore....

Sir Ian McKellen-

Richard Attenborough-

Richard Harris(Digital face added on to stunt double partnered with audio clips never used)-

Peter O' Toole-

And, Michael Gambon pictured in the above post.

P.S. I think these are all of the major ones. Did I forget one?

Double P.S. The ideal actor would've been Richard Burton, but he has passed away.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:42 PM
I just got an idea. A little lightbulb popped up over my head, and I thought CHARLES DANCE!

Old 01-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Coming Soon is reporting that Gary Oldman has been signed for the next two Potter films, although the specific role has not yet been identified. Assuming this is true, I'm assuming he'll play Sirius Black.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Yes, he must be. There are only a few roles that are in both PoA and GoF. When you have an actor of Oldman's stature, I doubt they'll give him a role like Stan Shunpike, the Knight Bus employee who serves Harry in the third novel and is seen fliriting with a Veela in the fourth. I never thought of him as Black, but it should be great. A very talented man, and he has the possible to scare the crap out of people. See Dracula by Coppola, if you think otherwise.

Last edited by dh1989; 01-03-2003 at 11:32 PM..
Old 01-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Here are some photos of Mr. Oldman.....

The above is him in the Dreamworks political drama, The Contender.

The above is him at the premiere of the David Fincher thriller, Panic Room.

Here is a biography of him.....

Whether playing a punk rocker, an assassin, a war vet, or a ghoul, Gary Oldman has consistently amazed viewers with his ability to completely disappear into his roles. Though capable of portraying almost any type of character, Oldman has put his stamp on those of the twisted villain/morally ambiguous weirdo variety, earning renown for his interpretations of the darker side of human nature.

Born Leonard Gary Oldman in New Cross, South London, on March 21, 1958, Oldman was raised by his mother and two sisters after his father, an alcoholic welder, left them when Oldman was seven. Nine years later, Oldman left high school to work in a sporting goods store; in his spare time, he studied literature and later acting under the tutelage of Roger Williams. He went on to act with the Greenwich Young People's Theatre and, after attending drama school on a scholarship, worked with the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow. Oldman next worked in London's West End, where, in 1985, he won a Best Actor and a Best Newcomer award for his performance in The Pope's Wedding. By this time, he had made his film debut in Remembrance (1982) and had appeared in two television movies, notably Honest, Decent and True (1985).

Oldman got his first big break when he was cast as Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy (1986), Alex Cox's disturbing docudrama account of the punk rocker's tragic relationship with Nancy Spungen. Oldman's unnervingly accurate portrayal of the doomed rocker won rave reviews and effectively propelled him out of complete obscurity. The following year, he turned in a completely different but equally superb performance as famed playwright Joe Orton in Stephen Frears' Prick up Your Ears and earned a Best Actor nomination from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts for his work. After moving to the U.S. that same year, Oldman appeared in Nicolas Roeg's Track 29 (1988), and in 1990, he had one of his most memorable -- to say nothing of cultish -- roles as Rosencrantz opposite Tim Roth as Guildenstern in Tom Stoppard's brilliant Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Oldman's first American role in a major Hollywood film was that of alleged assassin Lee Harvey Oswald in Oliver Stone's JFK (1991). He then gave a creepy, erotic performance in the title role of Francis Ford Coppola's rendition of Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), a lavish film that proved to be the most commercially successful (next to JFK) of Oldman's career to date. In addition to playing such eccentrics as Drexel Spivey, a white pimp who grows dreadlocks and tries to prove himself a black Rastafarian in True Romance (1993), Oldman went on to play more conventional characters, as evidenced by his straightforward portrayal of a crooked cop in Luc Besson's The Professional (1994), his performance as Beethoven in Immortal Beloved (1994), and his role as the Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale in the disastrous 1995 adaptation The Scarlet Letter.

In 1997, Oldman made his directorial bow with Nil by Mouth, a bleak, semi-autobiographical drama about a dysfunctional blue-collar London family that Oldman dedicated to his late father. The film proved to be a controversial hit at that year's Cannes Festival, and the first-time director won a number of international awards and a new dose of respect for his work. He subsequently returned to acting with Luc Besson's The Fifth Element that same year, made while he took a break from editing Nil by Mouth. He also gave an enduringly cheesy portrayal of the sinister Russian terrorist bent on wresting world domination from American President Harrison Ford in the blockbuster Air Force One (1997) and followed that up by playing yet another villain in the 1998 feature-film version of the classic TV series Lost in Space.

Oldman has made headlines for his private as well as professional life over the years, both for his well-publicized battles with alcohol and his marriages to actresses Lesley Manville and Uma Thurman. In addition to his son Alfie with Manville, Oldman has two children by his third wife, American model and photographer Donya Fiorentino. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

I recieved all of this from Yahoo Movies!
Old 01-04-2003, 02:14 PM

I really hope he isn't Sirius Black, he's way too old!
Old 01-04-2003, 08:01 PM
i agree. gary oldman is too old to play sirius black. VIGGO MORTENSEN should be sirius black, hands down.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:23 PM
It is also possible Oldman could be Peter Pettigrew.

According to the award winning Potter site The Harry Potter Lexicon, Sirius(along with Snape, Lily, James, Peter, Remus, and Severus Snape) were all born in 1960. Oldman was born in 1958. So that is only a two year difference. Now what do you guys think of Alan Rickman? He was born in 1946. So thats a fourteen year difference from his character.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Congerking
VIGGO MORTENSEN should be sirius black, hands down.
Oh no! Then Sirius would re-program the Dementors to wear t-shirts saying "No More Blood For Oil!" and instead of giving Harry terrible visions, they'd whine on Charlie Rose. Actually, I still prefer Christian Bale as Sirius. Though he is 14 years younger than Sirius he is a great villian actor, was born in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK and is a very talented man. Plus he is not doing anything for a while. His last project was Equilbrium. His picture is below:

Old 01-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I was looking at other recent photos of Oldman, and I noticed those two above made him look quite old. Look at the below photo of him with his significant other....

Old 01-04-2003, 10:55 PM

I think Ewan McGregor would be the perfect Sirius. But I know he won't get the role because Episode III and Harry Potter 3 will be filming at the same time...
Old 01-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Horror whore
Ewan McGregor
I was hoping he would be able to play Lupin, but of course EPISODE III will get in the way. Damn Lucas! Well, I do like the Star Wars series, I just wish McGregor could be in a Potter film. Great actor.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Christian Bale - Pembrokeshire, Wales you say? That's right. But did you know this is only a 30 minute drive from my house?

What a small world we live in.

Extra Trivia: The full sized Millennium Falcon was housed in a storage room in a town in Pembrokeshire for many years. I never saw it, it was before my time.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:36 PM
According to AICN, Ian Brown(of the Stone Roses) has signed on to play a small role in PoA. Who? Here is a photo....

My guess is Stan Shunpike, the employee of the Knight Bus who speaks in an odd-fashion and tells Harry some info about Sirius Black.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:32 PM
The Leaky Cauldron has posted a rumor about three characters who may not appear at all in PoA......

We've been hearing rumors that Cedric Diggory (no casting ever announced), Oliver Wood (Sean Biggerstaff) and Colin Creevey (Hugh Mitchell) will not be in PoA at all - not even in the background. We're checking into these rumors to see what we can confirm but at present, please consider them just that - rumors. It can also be noted that in the latest Sean Biggerstaff interview, he says he has not "as of yet" signed on for the third HP movie.

I can understand Cedric. He was barely in the third book, but Oliver Wood and Colin Creevey were. I'd like to put emphasis on Wood. The third book was his best. I loved how he was crazed to win the Quidditch Cup even more, as it was his final year at Hogwarts. I hope this is just a rumor.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:35 PM
This article from ICLiverpool tells who Richard Harris' family wants to play Dumbledore....

THE brother of Richard Harris has urged the makers of the next Harry Potter film to give the role of wise and benevolent Hogwarts Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, to the late actor's former hellraising pal, Peter O'Toole.

Speaking from his Dublin home, Harris' brother Noel, 70, told the Daily Mirror: "I think Peter is the only man who could follow my brother in the role.

Dicky made that role his own . He will be a hard act to follow. Peter was a great friend of Dicky's for most of his life. An he has similar qualities on screen.

"Our family would be delighted if he was offered the part."

Filming on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is due to begin in March, but the casting of the pivotal role of Dumbledore has still not been finalised and is giving Warner Brothers studio an increasingly painful headache.

Harris tragically died of cancer in October last year at the age of 72, but was so dedicated to fighting the disease that he continued to work on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, even though he had lost three stone in weight due to chemotherapy and was sometimes so ill that a body double had to be used as a stand in.

In a typically bold Harris-ism just a few weeks before his death he told director Chris Columbus "If you f****** think about recasting me, I'll f****** kill you!"

Noel said: "He loved the role and was especially looking forward to getting his teeth into the third installment, Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban, because Dumbledore gets a much meatier role.

"He talked about how great it was going to be. It's a tragedy he died before he could do that one."

He added: "Of course he would have been happy to see it go to Peter. I just hope he is offered it and then it will be a decision for him to make."

Old 01-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Oliver Wood should be in it--it's his final year, and after this he won't be in it at all anymore! The third book has what seems to me to be the Quidditch climax, they don't really NEED to include Quidditch in the books anymore, and Oliver has a big part in that.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:45 AM
I know it will be good, but if they want it to be perfect...

Hi, I'm Peter O'Toole. Since my drunken friend Richard Harris is DEAD, I will now be playing the doped up mentor.

Hi, I'm Ewan McGregor. I'm spunky and will be playing the only Dark Arts teacher who gave a s***.

Hi, I'm Jude Law. I have MAD CRAZY EYES and will be playing the MAD CRAZY FUGITIVE.

Hi, I'm Alfonso Cuarón. I'm the new director for Potter and am going to make this installment the GOLDFINGER of the series. Woohoo!

Hi, I'm Cameron Diaz. I don't play any character from the book, but I do have three, count them, three full nude scenes in the new movie.

The news on AICN about Cuarón "shaking up the franchise" and the fact that O'Toole is still in the running gives me a warm feeling in my chest. I think... It is... Love.... Wait, nope, it's a STROKE... AAHGGHSAFASGADFBfdgfdggg
Old 01-09-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm surprised to have read so many schmoes don't like the idea of Gary Oldman playing Sirius Black. I think he'd be great for the part. He's such a fantatsic actor.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:50 PM
WATCH OUT FOR MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUT BLACK IN ARTICLE!

Here is an article from MTV News about Oldman's possible involvement in PoA, with comments from his manager.....

Harry Potter, get ready to meet Count Dracula.

Gary Oldman ("Bram Stoker's Dracula," "Hannibal") has been offered the role of Sirius Black in "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," the third installment in the kid wizard series.

"They've asked him to do 'Harry Potter' and I know he's really seriously looking at it," said Oldman's manager, Douglas Urbanski, who stressed that a deal has yet to be finalized. "He's delighted to have been offered the role, especially because he's got kids — he's a full-time single dad."

"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" is scheduled to begin production in February. Chris Columbus, who directed the first two films — "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (2001) and "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" (2002) — will serve only as co-producer on "Azkaban," having handed over the directing reigns to Mexican director Alfonso Cuarón ("Great Expectations," "Y tu mamá también"). Daniel Radcliffe will continue to handle the lead role for the series, which has been a huge success at the box office.

In English author J.K. Rowling's book, Sirius Black is the escaped "Prisoner of Azkaban," who eventually turns out to be Potter's godfather. Black also appears in the fourth book, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

Oldman is best known for his chameleon-like ability to slip into bizarre characters — like late punk icon Sid Vicious ("Sid & Nancy," 1986); dreadlocked drug dealer Drexl Spivey ("True Romance," 1993); strangely coiffed bloodsucker Prince Vlad Dracula ("Bram Stoker's Dracula," 1992); and more recently, revenge-obsessed cannibalism victim Mason Verger ("Hannibal," 2001).

Warner Bros. is reportedly eyeing a June 2004 release for "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."
Old 01-13-2003, 09:15 AM
Maybe Gambon is a possible? This is from Entertainment Weekly.......

"CASTING: Gosford Park star Michael Gambon, 62, is negotiating to play Dumbledore in Warner Bros. Harry Potter franchise. "They've offered, and he wants to do it," says his agent. Gambon would replace Richard Harris, who died in October. The third film in the series, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, is due in theatres June 2004."

Old 01-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Here is a quote from director Cuaron about the new Potter film....

"I don't know if 'dark' is the word for it because there's a great deal of humor (in the third tale)," Cuaron says. "I would say that rather than going into darker territory, it goes into more emotional territory. Because the characters are a little bit more grown up, the experience is completely different. In the first two books, the fear was outside, like a boogie man. But here, the fear comes from inside. When you're 13, you stop believing in the boogie man and start dealing with the monsters inside."

Sounds good!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:57 PM
This is an article from The Leaky Cauldron about the casting of Sirius Black......

One of the main supporters of the (valiant, if unsuccessful) fan campaign to get actor Jason Carter cast as Sirius Black has written to inform us that a conversation with WB's PoA casting office yielded the quote, "The part's on offer, it's gone." They did not say who it went to, did not say a deal was made, and we remind you that this person could have just wanted to get off the phone. Speculate as you will... (and thanks so much, dear person who sent that in - who I know to be a truthful soul.)
Old 01-15-2003, 06:02 AM
Well, let me tell you guys that this thread rocks! I'm glad I'm back. As for THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN I guess that Gary Oldman is an excellent choice. Look at his performances in The Contender, Hannibal, Leon, Air Force One, True Romance and other films. He REALLY is a great actor.

As for the role of Dumbledore I think that Omar Sharif will be a good choice too. He has this old-tender-wise looks of the charecter. Peter O'Toole is a great choice, too. No doubt of that.

I'm dreaming night and day that the people involved in it will soon announce a Febuary 2004 release date. Summer 2004 is still far, far away for me!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:57 AM
AICN is reporting that Peter Pettigrew has been cast. Read......

Hey, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab.
I can’t run the e-mail I got from today’s source, because it would tie him to other scoops from the past (which were 100% accurate, btw), so I’ll just repeat the salient detail:
Timothy Spall has been cast as Peter Pettigrew for HARRY POTTER & THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN.
I made the mistake earlier of saying it was Professor Lupin he was playing, so the TalkBackers below aren't crazy. At least, not more crazy than normal. As fans of the series know, Pettigrew is also called Wormtail, and Spall is a hell of a choice for him. If you’re not familiar with Spall’s work, shame on you. He’s one of those character actors who can go from hilarious to heartbreaking in one quick move, and right now, you can see him in Doug McGrath’s wafer-thin but enjoyable NICHOLAS NICKELBY. He’s a welcome addition to the world of POTTER, and should do a great job with Wormtail. Add him to the ensemble that includes Gary Oldman and Michael Gambon (both of whom are still rumored to be joining the cast, and who appear to be close to confirmation by the studio), and it’s obvious that Alfonso Cuaron is putting together a great cast for his first time at-bat with this franchise.

Here is a photo of Mr. Spall from Yahoo! Movies....

I must say that I did not imagine Wormtail as being fat. In fact, if I remember correctly, he was pratically dead from starvation and illness, and was very thin.

For a look at his filmography, go to: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id...movies&intl=us.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:18 PM
David Thewlis?

The Daily Mirror is reporting that actor David Thewlis(Total Eclipse) might be being considered to play Lupin. Read...

Our favourite actor David Thewlis is all set for a wizard new year.

The 39-year-old - who is dating gorgeous actress Anna Friel - has landed a role in the next Harry Potter film.

He will play Professor Lupin who helps Harry out during his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Our source says: "David is thrilled. He and Anna are massive Harry Potter fans."

Shooting on Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban starts later this year.

Our spies also tell us that Sir Michael Gambon IS set to replace the late Richard Harris as headmaster Professor Albus Dumbledore.

Photo:

Old 01-16-2003, 11:22 PM
NME.Com has released an article reviving the rumor of music star Ian Brown having a cameo in the third Potter flick....

IAN BROWN is to pay a visit to HOGWARTS - making a cameo appearance in the next HARRY POTTER movie!

Directed by Alfonso Cuaron, the third movie in the series, 'Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban' is due to hit screens next year.

Based on the massively successful JK Rowling book of the same name, the film follows the children's character in his third year at Hogwarts school for wizards, and is likely to be one of the biggest grossing movies in history on its release.

Sources have told NME that King Monkey signed up for a role after his wife Fabiola introduced him to a friend who is a casting agent on the project.

"He's going to have a screen test for a speaking part, but if that doesn't work out I think he'll be getting a bit part in the movie somewhere or other," a Manchester source told NME.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Harry is headed for North Scotland!

The Press and Journal have released an article telling more of the planned shooting locations for the third Potter film. Read....

A movie giant is to conjure up a set for the third Harry Potter film in a Highland auction mart.

It emerged yesterday that part of Lochaber Rural Complex at Torlundy, near Fort William, will be taken over by Warner Bros at the end of March.

Isabel Campbell, a director of the complex, revealed: "The multi-purpose auction mart is to be transformed into a film set. Part of the penned area will be stripped down to accommodate the building work. Warner Bros will be using all the empty space at the complex for filming and offices."

Construction work will be undertaken in April, with cameras rolling the following month.

There seems to be more shooting location news for PoA than there was for CoS. This is most likely due to one location mostly: Hogsmeade. Some new locations can be filmed on sets at Leavesden Studios like the Divintation classroom, The North Tower, and others. Hogsmeade CAN be on a set, but it'd be nicer to go to a real Scottish village.

I'll try and find some photos of this location. If I can, I will post 'em here.....
Old 01-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Here are some photos. Now these are just shots of the general area, and these may not be featured in PoA. Just to give you an idea of the landscape and architecture.

This is from Thistle Cottage(This what I imagine a Hogsmeade shop to look like)....

These are from Lochaber.Com.....

(Photo Above: Gosh, clear those people out, and put in some Wizard extras, and you've got Hogsmeade!)

Old 01-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Eddie Murphy To Play Lupin!

Just kidding! This is an article from CBBC Newsround about everyday children being in the Potter films.....

So you're desperate to be in the Potter movies. But how far would you go for the chance to be in the background?

That's what more and more kids are doing in Gloucester.

The King's School is next door to the famous Gloucester Cathedral, whose cloisters have been used for Hogwarts corridors in both movies.

And when extra actors were not available to fill up the scenes during shooting of the Chamber of Secrets, pupils from the school were drafted in instead.

CBBC Newsround has discovered that it's meant that school has seen the number of applications grow by a record level in the past year.

Even though most of the extras only saw themselves for a few seconds, but that was enough to make mates jealous!

Charlie, 15, was very chuffed with his part in the film: "I saw myself for a few seconds - I just saw my quiff and that was good enough for me.

"My friends are quite jealous that I saw my hair on the big screen!"

Jessica, 14, also an extra, adds: "All my friends were quite jealous I had been chosen. They would all love to come to this school because they would have the chance to be in the next HP film."

But be warned!

Being a pupil at the school doesn't mean you'll automatically get a part.

The film-makers only choose a few kids and there's no guarantee they'll go back there for extras in any of the future films.

Carol Smith from the school told the CBBC Newsround website: "We've had a steady increase in pupils over the last five years, but Potter has certainly helped."

"A lot of parents ask about the filming and lots our pupils are asked if they've been in the movies."

But the school insists it's also to do with the "rounded education" pupils get there.

Let's hope they don't get carried away and start potions classes!

Last edited by dh1989; 01-20-2003 at 02:26 PM..
Old 01-21-2003, 03:24 PM
I've been scouting around some Oldman sites and came across some pics of him in "The Scarlet Letter". IMO, he can pull off the look of Sirius. I keep hearing he a is a great actor, so I'm starting to get really excited about seeing his portrayal. Of course, if the rumors are true...

I've never posted a pictuire on here. I hope it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldmanscarlet.jpg (15.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-21-2003, 09:31 PM
The Leaky Cauldron has posted a blurb about one of their "insiders" notes on the casting......

An extremely reliable, never-steered-me-wrong source says that Gary Oldman will indeed play Sirius Black, David Thewlis will indeed play Professor Lupin and Pam Ferris will indeed play Aunt Marge. There may be more confirmations on the way. Stay tuned.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Confirmation on Lupin and Tom The Innkeeper!

CBBC Newsround has released an article confirming who will play a major role and a minor one: Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher Lupin and The Leaky Cauldron bartender, Tom The Inkeeper...

CBBC Newsround can confirm that an important role in the third Potter film, Prisoner of Azkaban, has been taken by award-winning British actor David Thewlis.

Thewlis will play kindly teacher Professor Lupin - who has a mysterious secret.

You may have seen him in the recent mini-series Dinotopia, or the fantasy film Dragonheart.

He's also famous for dating former soap actress Anna Friel.

We can also tell you that Tom, the innkeeper at the Leaky Cauldron, will be played by bald comedian Jim Tavare.

Tavare knows Tom looks like a "wizened, toothless walnut," so we're guessing he's not too vain!

Sirius still not cast

But there's no firm news yet about who will play Sirius Black.

Actor Gary Oldman has been linked to the role.

But sources on the film told us that, as of Wednesday afternoon, no one had signed on the dotted line to play Sirius.

Filming will begin on Azkaban in the next couple of months, so we'll let you know as soon as we do!

Photo of Thewlis:

A photo of Mr. Tavare:

Old 01-23-2003, 08:13 PM
FilmJerk.Com has posted an article telling why the WB have not confirmed Gary Oldman as Sirius Black. It is quite interesting, but there are some MAJOR spoilers within the article, so beware...

With 23 days to go until production begins February 17th in London, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" casting news is going into overdrive. BBC Newsround (part of the BBC news organization) confirmed yesterday the role of Defence Against the Darks Arts teacher Professor Lupin will go to award-winning British actor David Thewlis, while Jim Tavare has taken the part of Tom, the innkeeper at the Leaky Cauldron.

But where is the news about the Prisoner of Azkaban himself, Sirius Black? While Melissa Anelli of the Harry Potter fansite The Leaky Cauldron has stated that "an extremely reliable, never-steered-me-wrong source says that Gary Oldman will indeed play Sirius Black" (and a studio source confirms that to us as well last night), no official comment has been released yet by the studio. Even the BBC article states that "there's no firm news yet about who will play Sirius Black," while noting that Oldman has been linked to the role.

Since January 3rd, the Internet has been buzzing about Oldman's involvement. Because of this, we asked several casting associates what exactly going on here.

One casting agent, who spoke on the condition he be identified only by "Nil by Mouth" (an apparent nod to the actor's first directorial effort in 1997) said, "Oldman's deal is already signed, as of at least ten days ago. He has the time in his schedule blocked out for the film (this can be verified by IMDB, as no 2003 or 2004 releases other than the third "Harry Potter" installment is on his slate there), and he's ready to head back to London, where I believe he was born. I think this is going to be a great fit for Oldman."

"The reason the studio is not publicly acknowledging he has been cast is press strategy. They're going to do a slow burn on the casting announcements for the remaining characters, including Dumbledore, until they hit production time. They want to publicly maximize these announcements, and are most likely coordinating around last week's news about the fifth book in the series. Any press-smart studio with this kind of franchise will do this sometimes, as this is a business, first and foremost. Add in that "Chamber of Secrets" is still playing on over 1,000 screens right now and the DVD announced to be hitting in April. With a director unknown to most audiences, they're playing up as much as they can right. They're doing it smart."

Sirius Black, also known as Padfoot, is a central character to the third film, and also appears in the fourth book. At the beginning of "Azkaban," Black is detained in a prison for wizards, for the crime of killing 13 people with one simple curse. But he is wrongfully detained, as what caused him to be there was staged. Black eventually manages to escape, going on the lam while transforming himself into a loveable stray dog. Before he escaped the prison, he hears the guards relate that he often spoke that someone the person who caused him to be in this mess, that 'He's at Hogwarts...he's at Hogwarts...' His subsequent actions bring him into Harry Potter's world.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:59 AM
Cast for PoA??

Does anyone know who will be filling out the rest of the cast for PoA besides those we know. For example, Lupin? I was just on a site that has a character profile for all HP characters and next to Lupin's was a pic of Ewan McGregor! Wouldn't that be great, though highly unlikely, hu? Also, there were pics of people I'm unfamiliar with bext to profiles of characters from the last 2 books.
Since shooting is suppose to start next month, I thought maybe someone would have a clue as to who is playing some of the other characters we don't...well I don't know about yet!
Old 01-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Lupin has been cast. British actor David Thewlis(Total Eclipse) will play the new Defense Against The Dark Arts Teacher.

Other known cast new members....

Aunt Marge - Pam Ferris

Tom The Innkeeper - Jim Tavare(This is somewhat strange because in the first film Derek Deadman played Tom. Remember this scene?

Tom: Hagrid! The usual, I presume.

Hagrid: No Tom. I'm on official Hogwarts business. Just helping young Harry here buy his school supplies.

Tom: Bless my soul, its Harry Potter!

That was Deadman as Tom. He has will not be in PoA.

Some roles still uncast...

Sirius Black(Gary Oldman has expressed interest and said he WAS offered the role, but no official announcement has been made).

Dumbledore

Prof. Trelawney

Cho Chang

Cedric Diggory

Ernie Prang

Stan Shunpike(Though a British rock star said he had a cameo, and he is suspected to play this role).

P.S. I am going to MERGE this with the official PoA countdown. All PoA film discussions should be handled there. Also, welcome to the boards FoxForce5. I hope you enjoy your time here. It always nice to see a Potter/movies fan here.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Here is a bit of sad news from the excellent Potter fan site TLC....

John Williams' fansite has posted a report from a Q&A he did in Washington, D.C. last Thursday. In it, he said that scoring PoA was not on his agenda, "although things could change." Thanks to Jennifer for the link.

If this happens, he will be truly missed, and I do not think they could find anyone to do a more amazing score.