Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LeftyRuggiero
i am still a lil uncertian??? did they decided to include Cho Chang in this movie or are they waiting to cast her until the next one?
She won't be in the film, and neither will Cedric Diggory.

By the way, welcome to the boards, Josh!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:49 AM
More Pictures From "The Sun"...

(It looks like Draco misplaced his hair gel!)

Click here for the entire article!

Since this IS a countdown thread, I figured it'd be appropriate to pop in every once and awhile, and say how long is left until PoA hits theatres ---

308 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes, and 36 seconds.

Last edited by dh1989; 07-30-2003 at 07:59 AM..
Old 07-30-2003, 09:24 AM
I don't like Draco's look, and Last night I had a dream when it was one day untill the movie opened, but I wasn't allowed to see it, more like a nightmare if you as me.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DevilMonkey
I don't like Draco's look
I don't like his hair, either way. It was too fake before, and now it's nerdy.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:47 AM
well thats dissapointing! other than remus and sirius who are the other new characters? im hoping lucious will still be in this one. i can't wait to see pics of hogsmade.

josh
Old 07-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DevilMonkey
Hes directing
Lol I knew that !

Draco looks a little to much like a backstreet boy with that haircut.

Man if they arn't including Cho and Cedric in this movie, then they are gonna have a lot harder time introducing those characters, and making us care about them all inthe next movie. Along with all the other tstuff they have to shove into that small movie timeline.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Another look at The Knight Bus ---

Old 07-31-2003, 01:44 AM
is there any word on how long this movie is going to be? im just looking for an approx. running time.

josh
Old 07-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Quote:
is there any word on how long this movie is going to be? im just looking for an approx. running time.
Nothing's been made official, but it's likely to be between 170 and 180 minutes.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:22 PM
Re: More Pictures From "The Sun"...

Quote:
Originally posted by dh1989

Since this IS a countdown thread, I figured it'd be appropriate to pop in every once and awhile, and say how long is left until PoA hits theatres ---

308 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes, and 36 seconds. [/B]
Don't forget about next year being a leap year, one extra day.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:07 PM
170 to 180 mins, nearly 3 hours!!!!, that would be great...is that just a guess though?

thanks

josh
Old 07-31-2003, 10:41 PM
What about the actress who plays Prof Minerva Mcdolagan?
Do you have any picture of her playing in Harry Potter 3?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dindio
What about the actress who plays Prof Minerva Mcdolagan?
Do you have any picture of her playing in Harry Potter 3?
I assume you're talking about Professor McGonagall, so the answer is yes....

Old 08-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Alfonso Cuaron has brought controversy to the 3rd Potter film! This is from Newsweek's editorial section...

Many readers were offended by a stray political remark made by Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron in “Caution: Wizard at Work,” about his filming of 2004’s Harry Potter movie, “Prisoner of Azkaban.” “Does the evil wizard Voldemort still remind him of George W. Bush, as he said recently?” ask writers Carla Power and Devin Gordon. “‘In combination with Saddam,’ says [Cuaron]. ‘They both have selfish interests and are very much in love with power. Also, a disregard for the environment. A love for manipulating people. I read books four and five, and [Cornelius] Fudge’—[author J.K.] Rowling’s slippery Minister of Magic—’is similar to Tony Blair. He’s the ultimate politician. He’s in denial about many things. And everything is for the sake of his own persona, his own power. The way the Iraq thing was handled was not unlike the way Fudge handled affairs in book four.’ Cuaron’s scrappiness is either refreshing or worrying, depending on your stock portfolio.”

One reader from Sumner, Texas, puts his reaction this way: “Even in a story reviewing an idiotic movie you morons can’t resist the opportunity to take a shot at the president.” A Houstonian writes “As an American and a stockholder of AOL Time Warner, I am so insulted by Mr. Cuaron’s comments about President Bush. The American Harry Potter audience is huge and making irresponsible and unnecessary comments about any world leader is just not good business. The American people alone will judge Mr. Bush’s worthiness to hold office next year. Mr. Cuaron needs to shut up and work on his movie.” And a Meridan, Conn., reader opines that “after listening to the insipid comments of the director of the new Harry Potter movie, I guess conservatives are going to have to boycott his movie. Why can’t these intellectual lightweights keep their mouths shut?”
Old 08-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Controversy = bigger box office. Go Mr. Cuaron!
Old 08-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jolanar
Controversy = bigger box office. Go Mr. Cuaron!
He went too early, though. Now it's just going to be bad press for the film, because it's too far away from official release to really generate more or less interest.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:17 PM

How much do you all think this'll gross at the box office?

Now that Shrek 2 is opening a month earlier on May 21st, I fear it may steal some of Harry's thunder...

I'm guessing a 83 million opening and a 225 million finish, I sure hope I'm under-estimating though...
Old 08-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Horror whore
How much do you all think this'll gross at the box office?

Now that Shrek 2 is opening a month earlier on May 21st, I fear it may steal some of Harry's thunder...

I'm guessing a 83 million opening and a 225 million finish, I sure hope I'm under-estimating though...
I think it's gross will fall inbetween the first and the second. I don't think Shrek II will cause it much trouble, since it's opening a month early, and, since it's a sequel, should fade slightly quicker than the first. And, you can't forget, the 1st Harry Potter film broke almost all B.O. records, while opening two weeks after Disney/Pixar's Monsters Inc. Here are my predictions for Prisoner of Azkaban...

Opening Weekend: 93 million

Final Gross: 287 million
Old 08-05-2003, 11:39 PM
I think it'll have about 88 - 100 but if you want an exact number it'd be 94. I think this one'll show everyone how great the series is and thenthe fourth'll have box office records braking
Old 08-06-2003, 11:10 PM
i jus finished re-reading this book today and i gotta say it was WAY better than i remember!!! there are so many scenes that i cannot wait to see on film. after finishing the book again i now am more understanding why it is taking them so long to film. God i cannot wait to see this!!!!!!!!

josh
Old 08-09-2003, 11:10 PM
First 'Snape' Picture!

CountingDown.Com:

***CORRECTION: The Leaky Cauldron is now reporting that the picture is not a new picture, but an older one, from the set of CoS. Cool, nonetheless, IMO.***

Last edited by dh1989; 08-10-2003 at 03:05 AM..
Old 08-10-2003, 12:51 AM
Snape looks awsome. BTW in the magazine In Touch there are two pages with PoA pics but the pics have already been posted here.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:40 AM
Are they ever gonna cast Professor Trelawney?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:34 PM
the clothes

this was brought up on a harry potter website, and though very clear, it something that i continully overlooked. it seems that in all the pictures taken of harry, hermione, and ron that they are all wearing "muggle" clothes. in a article in NEWSWEEK the director says that in scenes they were dressed in "Hip teenage clothes or sometimes in their own clothes".

my question is whether or not there has been any news on this, the article i read was from june and i am still wondering whether these pictures are of screen test of rehearsal, but sirius and lupin are in costume? the debate on this other site is what happened to the school robes? in all the books the only time they wear "muggle" clothes is to get on the train, during holidays, and in summer. why would this be put into the movie and why would rowlings allow this?

i mean its not a HUGE thing in and of itself, but if this new director is gonna change something as constant as the outfits to draw in a wider audience, then what else is gonne be changed? after looking at these pictures again i can get over the new clothes, but it jus seems to take something away from the "other worldlyness" of the story and instead of taking you off to another world entirely it looks like the costumes came from target. im really ranting here, but i jus wish i had some further explanation on this?

thanks,

josh
Old 08-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Re: the clothes

Quote:
this was brought up on a harry potter website, and though very clear, it something that i continully overlooked. it seems that in all the pictures taken of harry, hermione, and ron that they are all wearing "muggle" clothes. in a article in NEWSWEEK the director says that in scenes they were dressed in "Hip teenage clothes or sometimes in their own clothes".

my question is whether or not there has been any news on this, the article i read was from june and i am still wondering whether these pictures are of screen test of rehearsal, but sirius and lupin are in costume? the debate on this other site is what happened to the school robes? in all the books the only time they wear "muggle" clothes is to get on the train, during holidays, and in summer. why would this be put into the movie and why would rowlings allow this?

i mean its not a HUGE thing in and of itself, but if this new director is gonna change something as constant as the outfits to draw in a wider audience, then what else is gonne be changed? after looking at these pictures again i can get over the new clothes, but it jus seems to take something away from the "other worldlyness" of the story and instead of taking you off to another world entirely it looks like the costumes came from target. im really ranting here, but i jus wish i had some further explanation on this?

thanks,

josh
Alfonso Cuaron will still use the school robes in the film, according to on-set reports and an early set photo on a prior page of this thread, but he thinks it would look better, and I agree with him, if they wore normal, Muggle clothes on off-days, and to go on their missions, Hogsmeade escapades, etc....
Old 08-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Here's a set report from The Snitch....

To be honest, when I arrived at Virginia Waters early in the morning, I did not expect to see nearly as much as I did. When we first arrived, the car park was half filled by trucks and porta – cabins. Very soon after, we saw two costume women rolling a large rack of robes to the set.

We had only been there 20 minutes when Daniel Radcliffe strolled into view from behind a tree and got himself a drink from the tea urn. Not very exciting you may think, but to us rookie celebrity-spotters, it was a result. We saw Alfonso Cuaron, also getting himself a drink.

There were very few people by the green fence that stretched the perimeter of the set and therefore I was one of the only people to witness Hagrid, after just finishing a scene – turn round and take his head off. (!) Once the person inside (whether it was Robbie Coltrane or not, I don't know) had taken off the hairy mass from his head, he looked like an American Football player, a small head compared to the immensely wide shoulders. I'm guessing that this is part of the trickery with Hagrid being so big.

The next thing we saw was Tom Felton fiddling with a bike next to the set. It then turned out that it wasn't his, as someone came and wheeled it away. Behind him, a huge giant wooden cut out of a hippogriff was being dragged into place by a couple of prop guys.

The scene being shot was obviously the scene where Malfoy upsets Buckbeak and is attacked. During the rehearsal, we behind the fence could easily see Malfoy (Tom Felton) walking in front of the care of magical creatures class. We saw him move away from the group then we saw a man in red leap at him waving his arms – Felton fell very theatrically onto the ground and the scene was finished. They went though this scene quite a few more times. Then, the stagehands brought on a giant plastic hippogriff – possible to get an eyelevel, we could see some of the extras laughing and joking with the plastic 12-foot eagle.

At this point the extras went past us to the refreshment tent. Ron (Rupert Grint) went with them and a few minutes later he sauntered up to the green fence. I shouted his name and he happily took my pad of paper and signed it. Then, Seamus (Devon) and Crabbe and Goyle came to the fence to sign autographs along with a few extras complaining about the fact that noone ever asked them for their autographs.

"Chamber of Secrets sticker book – I'm in that! Look for yourself! Page 7!"

One of the extras remarked that it was Rupert's birthday and the cast burst out into a rendition of "Happy Birthday" to which Rupert looked very embarrassed. Later on, Emma Watson came to the fence and signed some autographs but was called away before I could ask her for one.

When the cast had gone back to work, quite a large number of stagehands were wheeling a huge front half of a hippogriff, which had a lot of wires and levers. When the prop guys pressed a button one of the front legs rose. It was the animatronic Buckbeak that probably plays a part in mauling Malfoy, but I assume that they post-production team will add CG to make it look good.

The Harry Potter team will apparently be in Virginia Waters until September. It's not far from a big car park and for anyone living in the surrounding area (say 50 miles!) it is a must see for any Harry fan. I got a lot of autographs and saw quite a lot of the production of the movie.

Here is an article from The North Devon Gazette on "wet Quidditch"...

FEATS of magic and daring would be much harder for Harry Potter if he were wet and cold, but luckily for him an innovative North Devon company has the answer.

Movie stars from Johnny Depp to Nicole Kidman have come to appreciate the insulating qualities of thermal suits crafted by Reed Chill Cheater of Braunton.

Even wizards like to keep warm and the company has just completed a large order for the cast of the next Harry Potter film, entitled “The Prisoner of Azkaban.”

“Apparently it is for an incredibly wet Quidditch game,” said owner Chris Reed.

“Of course you won’t see our suits, as they will all be under capes and other wizardly gear. Four suits were made for Harry Potter himself — together there was 10 dry suits and 18 full sets of thermals.”

Stars who have worn the suits include Madonna, Nicole Kidman and actors in the last James Bond film.

The break into movies came when a wardrobe assistant working on a Johnny Depp film read an article about Reed Chill Cheater and made some inquiries.

“Now we have a real rapport with stunt crews and wardrobe assistants at both Paramount Films in Hollywood and Pinewood Studios,” said Chris, who learnt his craft in production departments of High Street stores such as Marks and Spencer.

“The fabric we use is a lightweight polyurethane plastic, as opposed to rubber and it is incredibly strong and durable,” he said.

“People use it as part of a layering of clothing to build up warmth — the suits are breathable and allow completely unrestricted movement.”

Chris began by working from home in Braunton five years ago, but now has a spacious factory in the village and the business employs seven full and several part-time staff.

“It began as a lightweight travel suit for children to take to the beach, but more interest seemed to come from their parents and it went on to be used by surf lifesavers and rescue skierss,” he said.

Today, Chill Cheater suits can be found almost anywhere on the globe, as they are worn by Everest expeditions, long-distance canoeists, divers and explorers of all kinds.

The suits are now standard issue for Royal Marine instructors and the RNLI places orders.

Third, and finally, is a bit on the release of the 4th film from YAHOO!...

Afraid of alienating die-hard Muggles by cutting scenes, the studio and scribe initially had talked about breaking the book into two separate films to be released in the same calendar year, à la The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, but Warners has now opted for a single movie.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:40 PM
any word on the customes, that i mentioned in my above ^ post?

josh
Old 08-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Quote:
any word on the customes, that i mentioned in my above ^ post?

josh
The costumes Sirius and Lupin are wearing are real. The kids will where a mix of casual clothing and robes.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:24 AM
so this means that in the shack scene, those are the clothes they are going to wear?

josh
Old 08-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Quote:
so this means that in the shack scene, those are the clothes they are going to wear?

josh
Yes, because that adventure happens during "free" hours, and, during that time, in the film, Harry, Hermione, and Ron will be wearing Muggle clothing, but, in other "school" scenes, they'll still be wearing their Hogwarts robes.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:47 PM
yeah i guess the "muggle" clothes will work for the free time and hogsmead scenes, its just as hogsmead is the only all magic village in britian i figured they would be wearing their robes, otherwise they would look out of place in comparison to everyone else there....but i guess rowlings has a better vision of it than i do!!!!

and as far as the shack scene, i was wondering about the robes here because in the book they make exact references of peter (wormtail) going back and forth from each of them and clinging to hermiones robes.

i know this is rather trival...and i am not as much as fanatic as i am sure this sounding like i am, but its just that i dont really like the idea of this director comin in and changing rather significant parts of the storys, such as the robes and the fact that all the "muggle" clothes Harry owns came second hand and extremely baggy from Dudley. it seems that by doin this you loose some of the magical world that rowlings created. and it says in one artical that the new director has included mexican skulls in Huneydukes....LOL...this should prove to be a fun movie!!!!!!

josh
Old 08-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Click here.

An interview with John Cleese (Nearly Headless Nick). It's told that he won't be in the 3rd film, but will definitely appear in the 4th. Very, very odd, in my opinion.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:49 PM
This question may have already been asked but will PoA have the same screenwriter?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dh1989
Click here.

An interview with John Cleese (Nearly Headless Nick). It's told that he won't be in the 3rd film, but will definitely appear in the 4th. Very, very odd, in my opinion.
Tis a great big shame imo.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:23 PM
To start off, The Leaky Cauldron has translated a great Swedish article about the film's production into English, and it can be read below...

Aftonbladet on set in the giant studio as the third movie is being shot.

SHEPPERTON – Harry Potter and Hermione Granger stand by the roots of an enormous tree. Suddenly Harry dashes off towards the lake, holding up his wand.

“Expecto Patronum”, he shouts.

After nearly 40 takes, Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron says, “Gracias”.

Aftonbladet, as the only Swedish newspaper, gets to supervise the production of the third movie on Harry Potter – “The Prisoner of Azkaban”.

We’re situated in the Shepperton Studios, a great building a few miles outside of London. Here, some of the scenes in the third Harry Potter movie are being filmed.

Inside the enormous studio woods are erected. The trees are massive, the trunks several metres thick and stretching far towards the fake sky. The woods are dark, of course, with a menacing air, and like a couple of tiny shadows Harry and Hermione are standing under a tree.

Harry jerks and rushes off, Hermione fumbles for him to hold him back. Harry takes out his wand and runs the 15-20 metres towards the frozen lake.

Journeys back in time

He holds it up, towards the camera that’s fastened on a crane - the camera glides towards his face, stops and retreats.

We’re talking a sequence of 30 seconds, maybe slightly more.

“Harry and Hermione has travelled back in time to save Sirius Black and this is a scene in which Harry saves himself from ‘the dementors’. It’s a bit complicated”, Daniel Radcliffe, acting the role of Harry Potter, tells us later during our talk.

The director Alfonso Cuaron wants a retake and gets it, over and over. In the end Harry’s been rushing down towards the lake nearly 40 time before the director thanks the entire filming crew with a “Gracias”.

Daniel isn’t bored with it.

“It’s not as tiring while you’re at it, it’s afterwards it gets to you. Because while you’re acting, the adrenaline’s pumping, you don’t notice.

It was Chris Colombus who directed the earlier two films about Harry, while Mexican Alfonso Cuaron, best known for his movie “Y Tu Mama Tambien”, produces the third.

Darker than before

“The difference between him and Chris Colombus is that Chris got an energetic way of working which suited the first films. Alfonso’s got a mild intensity that works better with this material”, Daniel tells us (somewhat precocious).

You’ve all said that the third book is the best movie material. How is that?

“What I like about this book is that it isn’t Voldemort who is the main source of terror”, says Emma Watson, who’s joined.

The movie is also somewhat darker and more menacing than the first two.

“Alfonso films it in a different way, too - he uses almost only wide-angles and he doesn’t like getting in too close,” says Daniel.

Gary Oldman, playing the part of Sirius Black – the Prisoner – is a new member of the team and agrees.

“That’s one of the reasons I accepted his offer, apart from needing the money. I like his style, he does his own stuff and it shows that the producers have courage."

“He’s done a raw version of about twenty minutes of some of the filmed materials and it’s good, remarkably good. I think he’s used 32mm’s objects at the most. Which is very wide”, Oldman laughs.

In the role of Sirius Black he uses a low voice (Oldman’s expertise is voices) with a slight East End accent.

Tattooed all over

“And I’m tattooed, that’s Alfonso’s idea.”

He rises and shows the tattoos all over his body.

“In some scenes I need those on my arms as well but right now they weren’t needed.”

Another new take is that Alfonso’s modernised the movie a bit. There is still the archaic environment but Harry, Hermione, Ron and the other students are in modern clothes.

In this scene Harry wears beige trousers and a blue-grey tracksuit jacket with stripes. Emma’s got jeans and a pink, tight sweatshirt on. Both of them are wearing sneakers.

Also there are several new actors on the team besides Gary Oldman. When Richards Harris, playing the part of professor Dumbledore, passed away, Michael Gambon was picked for the role.

“I’m sure it wasn’t easy to succeed someone that competent. But he’s perfect and he doesn’t try to copy Richard. He’s doing some changes and the part becomes his own,” Emma Watson says.

And then, they’ve got some news to share.

“We’re in for the fourth movie as well.”

It’s been speculated that Daniel, Emma and Rupert were to be replaced for the fourth film, as they are going on fifteen and getting too old.

“But that won’t happen, not for this time.”

Are you in for the fifth movie?

“We’re not up to speculate on that - one movie at a time.”

“The Prisoner of Azkaban” goes up in Swedish theatres in August next year.

Second, and lastly, is an interview with Pam Ferris, who is playing Aunt Marge in the 3rd film from The Mirror...

YOU don't expect to get caught up in a world of sinister mysteries when you're pottering around in the garden - but that's exactly what happens to actress Pam Ferris in her new series.

In Rosemary And Thyme, Pam and her co-star Felicity Kendal play a pair of gardening enthusiasts who uncover some strange and deadly goings-on.

One of Britain's best-loved character actors, Pam first earned her place in the nation's hearts as Ma Larkin in The Darling Buds Of May and went on to take Hollywood by storm as Miss Trunchbull in the Danny DeVito movie Matilda.

She's also set to appear as Aunt Marge in the next Harry Potter film.

Pam and her actor husband Roger Frost have been married for 18 years and live in North London. Here, she tells YVONNE SWANN how it all began.

STARTING OUT

"I WAS born in Germany of Welsh parents. Then we came back to Wales where I grew up in Llanelli.

"I wanted to be an actor from the age of 10 or 11. I was totally obsessed with the idea. I acted in school plays and later in amateur dramatics but I never went to drama school.

"Life took a new twist when I was 13 and my father whisked the family off to live in New Zealand. By then I was quite keen to do some academic work.

"I was into chemistry and biology but I got very bored with school in New Zealand. The standards were way below my British education so, once again, I started appearing in the local amateur dramatics.

"Believe it or not, I became a full-time actress at 16. They were just starting professional theatre there so I slid in at the lowest level.

"I joined a repertory company in Auckland and it was excellent. I was earning tuppence a week but I was certainly learning my trade.

MY FIRST JOB

"IN 1972, when I was 23, I came back to England on my own. I brought £700 with me which ran out very fast.

"I had no idea how to find a cheap place to live in London so I spent too much and soon found myself stony-broke.

"I was going to lots of auditions but I also had to take other jobs. I worked in an antique shop for a while but then, when my bank balance was getting frighteningly empty, I got lucky and landed my first professional acting job on a theatre tour of Suffolk and Norfolk.

"At 24 I was among the founder members of Actorum, the first actors' co-operative agency in the country.

"We realised that a lot of young actors weren't getting noticed and we were angry. There was a lot of work around but we couldn't get the agents to come and see us."

MY BIG BREAK

"I THINK my big break was the TV series Connie starring Stephanie Beacham. I played the bitchy sister nasty Nestor.

"It was my first television experience and went on for nearly a year. It was a big success and got me noticed

"Then came three years of filming The Darling Buds Of May. I think it's a charming series and so beautifully shot. I was honoured to be part of it.

"After Darling Buds I spent a good couple of years turning down roles involving large women with zillions of children. I was very strongly typecast after Ma Larkin and was determined not to take on the same kind of role.

"Then, out of the blue, Danny DeVito asked me to do the film Matilda and I went to Hollywood. I played the scary Miss Trunchbull.

"It was like the hand of fate coming out of the sky but it taught me a healthy lack of respect for the image of Hollywood. You imagine everything to is surrounded by a glow of excitement.

"It is like that, of course, but in the end you realise that when you get in front of the camera you're doing exactly the same job as you did anywhere else.

"The film was a great success worldwide and I did another film with Danny which came out last year called Death To Smoochy. Robin Williams was in it and it was a sweet film.

"Then I got a more down-to-earth role in Where The Heart Is with Sarah Lancashire which was different again.

"The business has been extraordinarily kind to me. I have no complaints."

MY WORST JOB

"SELLING shoes is a very unpleasant job. I did it in New Zealand. I found that people would come in and try on shoes just for the pleasure of seeing what they were like without any intention of buying. We'd be up and down ladders getting the shoes all day."

WHAT I ENJOY MOST

"APART from gardening, cooking and drinking good wine with my husband and friends, what I like best is playing grotesque women.

"I love every kind of grotesque - scary ones, fat ones and vicious ones. They're really good fun. This new series, Rosemary And Thyme, is a very clever idea. Brian Easton, the producer, has an amazing track record. After all, he was the man behind Poirot.

"I think the profession has changed a lot since I entered it. It's much more personality-led now rather than acting-led. But I happen to be part of an old school that believes in transformation.

"If you're part of that school, you go for the artistic satisfaction at the expense of paying the bills. Rather than earning a stable living being the same person, I've made myself as versatile as possible. And I wouldn't change a thing."

- PAM's new six-part series for ITV1, Rosemary And Thyme, starts on Sunday.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:14 PM
SLOBS!

E! Online:

Forget Voldemort, British police believe a Muggle gang was behind the tagging of the Hogwarts Express.

Two of the train cars used to transport Harry Potter and pals to his school of wizardry were vandalized, according to reports Thursday.

The 64-foot-long cars, stored in a shed in Scarborough in northeastern England when not shuttling magical teens hither and yon, were spray-painted green with a silver cityscape and signed "Slobs."

"It is just mindless vandalism," James Shuttleworth, chief operations officer for the train's owner, West Coast Railway Company, tells the Associated Press. "I don't think they were targeting Harry Potter."

But, at least one station worker wishes the spell-spinning kid was around to dispense some wizard justice. "It's just a shame Harry is not around at the moment to turn them into frogs," an unnamed worker is quoted in London's Sun newspaper, which originally reported the incident.

The steam engine that powers the Hogwarts Express was untouched--it was safely stored in a different depot. When not moonlighting in the Potter flicks, the train, known as the Olton Hall, carries summer tourists between Scarborough and York.

The rail cars will be repainted their familiar maroon hues in the coming days. The cost of the graffiti is estimated to be upwards of $5,000.

The train has been featured in both Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, whisking the young wizards and witches from Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station in London to Hogwarts. The train will again be seen in next year's Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Sadly, despite all the magic, the Hogwarts Express has been trouble prone. Aside from the tagging, a fire broke out in February near a Scottish railroad bridge where Prisoner of Azkaban was shooting that temporarily shut down production. It was one of several delays to befall Azkaban, which had initially been slated for a November release but is now due in June 2004.

Meanwhile, production on the fourth Potter flick, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, is set to begin next April for a 2005 release.

Also, I am sure all of you want a Potter 3 fix in the form of a trailer, but their's currently online confusion over whether it'll appear before Looney Tunes: Back In Action, with Brendan Fraser, on November 14th, which is was The Leaky Cauldron is reporting, whilst Dark Horizons insists that the first wave of the wand will be shown at the beginning of December before the Tom Cruise period-actioner The Last Samurai. What do you think?
Old 09-13-2003, 08:58 PM

Daniel Radcliffe won the "RELLY" (Live! With Regis and Kelly) award for Junior Achiever. This was his acceptance speech, recieved on the show via satellite from Europe...

"Thank you for this fantastic award. This is absolutely amazing, and thank you to everybody who voted for me. I'm currently on the set of "Prisoner of Azkaban," filming. It's going to be an absolutely wonderful film, I can't wait for you all to see it. I'm really looking forward to seeing you all again when I do the Regis & Kelly show next springtime in New York sometime."

For the Quicktime video, click here.

Last edited by dh1989; 09-13-2003 at 09:01 PM..
Old 09-13-2003, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ScaryFreak1827
This question may have already been asked but will PoA have the same screenwriter?
Sorry, I missed your question. I am truly sorry, but, yes, Steve Kloves, who also wrote Wonder Boys, and got the gig initially due to support from J.K. Rowling herself, as he wrote The Fabulous Baker Boys, one of her favorite films, wrote PoA too, and is already working on the screenplay for GoF, the 4th Potter adventure.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Here's an interview with David Bradley, who plays Argus Filch in the Harry Potter films...

He's been wowing critics for years, but it took the role of Argus Filch in the Harry Potter films for David Bradley to be recognised in the street. Now he's taking a lead role for the RSC. He talks to Dominic Cavendish

The face that stares out from the poster for Titus Andronicus, the last production to open at the RSC in Stratford as part of this year's summer season, could scarcely look more wintry. Gaunt are the cheeks, thin the lips, the hair long receded, the eyes emptied and exhausted. The very picture of desolation.

Those with good visual recall might work out where they've seen these spectral features before. Some will be swift to identify the lean, hungry look as that of Argus Filch, the sulking, skulking caretaker of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter films. Others might well call to mind the tatterdemalion figure of Old Jake in the Cornwall-set Dawn French sitcom Wild West. It's unlikely, though, that many would know off-hand the name of the actor himself.

David Bradley wouldn't be in the least surprised. He's used to people coming up to him in the street and saying: "I know you - what have you been in?" The best line, he recalls, was: "Didn't you used to work in the Co-op in Leicester?"

Being hailed as "Filch" is the closest he's come to popular recognition in his 35-year career. In that time, he's remained one of the best-kept secrets in British acting, constantly praised by those in the know but always on the fringes of stardom.

On one level, there's no great mystery as to why fame hasn't come knocking. Firstly, and most obviously it's because much of Bradley's energy has gone into stagework. And then because, while there have been a number of major roles at the RSC and National (Mephistopheles in Dr Faustus, Subtle in The Alchemist, Max in The Homecoming), his specialism has lain in finding hidden depths in secondary, supporting parts, particularly Shakespeare's comic waifs and strays.

He picked up an Olivier Award for his Fool to Brian Cox's Lear at the National in 1990. His Justice Shallow in Henry IV Part II at the RSC (1992) was judged "impeccable". His Trinculo in The Tempest (1993), again at the RSC, was a "hilariously jittery ventriloquist", who had one reviewer declaring: "The low-life scenes are given the funniest treatment I can recall."

His portrayal last year of Andrew Aguecheek in Sam Mendes's farewell production of Twelfth Night at the Donmar Warehouse met with a chorus of superlatives, including "the saddest and funniest Aguecheek" the Sunday Times' critic had ever seen.

These are the kinds of notices that keep an actor's spirits high but don't necessarily filter into public consciousness or help propel him to bigger challenges. It's astonishing, nonetheless, given this track record, that it's only now, at the age of 61, and after more than 60 parts at the RSC, that the beanpole Yorkshireman has been granted a lead role on the main stage at Stratford.

That he should be tackling Titus Andronicus seems at once peculiarly apt - given that the hideously abused Roman general embodies a quality of staunch, uncomplaining loyalty - and wildly incongruous. The bloodiest of Shakespeare's tragedies, stuffed with such horrors as an onstage rape, casual slaughter, dismemberment and decapitation, Titus tests the resources of its leading player to the limits, as one grief chases another, and sane composure yields to thoughts of vengeance, shades of madness, and unearthly laughter.

Rarely performed, on account of its queasy-making and tonally uneasy nature, the last major revival was at the RSC in 1987, in a critically acclaimed production by Deborah Warner, staged in the Swan and starring Brian Cox. Even after all these years, it remains a tough act to follow, all the more so since, this time round, director Bill Alexander must suit the action to a far bigger space.

If he's daunted by the leap from Aguecheek, one of the Bard's footsoldiers, to Titus, leader and slayer of armies, Bradley's not showing it on the final weekend of rehearsals. The long years of apprenticeship have paid off, he believes.

"There was a time," he says, "when I would have been quite nervous about taking on such a huge role in the main house. But it's through being given lots of opportunities over the years that I've acquired the confidence to really breathe a play. I love the idea of now taking on the responsibility for carrying a show."

His spindly physique, used to mirthful-melancholy effect during Aguecheek's capering scene in Twelfth Night, he accounts no bar to convincing as a battle-hardened patriarch. He's been reading a lot of Tacitus.

"The descriptions of how brutal and hard life was have been very useful. Titus has marched over the Alps five times in the past 10 years between wars. He's absolutely knackered."

There's not a trace of resentment that such a role hasn't come his way before, even though Alexander, with whom he has now worked seven times, finds it "inexplicable that such a brilliant actor should have had to wait so long". From the start, he instinctively knew, he says, that he was not Prince Hamlet nor was meant to be, and laughs at the hubris that seized him before auditioning for Harry Potter.

"I said to my children: 'Which part should I go for?', hoping they'd say someone suave like Snape, but they said: 'No, Dad, you're a natural Filch.' "

Wouldn't he have relished an Iago or a Richard III over the years? He shrugs: "There are no regrets. I'd like to have a crack at Malvolio, Lear and Prospero, but the danger for actors is to think the parts have got to get bigger or their career's going downhill. That way madness lies."

The son of a bricklayer, Bradley grew up on a York council estate with no exposure to theatre until he got roped into doing drama at a boys' club aged 15. He was hooked straight away but even so, if it hadn't been for the persistence of the producer at the am-dram society he joined after leaving school to become a precision engineer, he'd never have gone on to tread the boards.

"He said: 'We're going to get you to Rada.' I said: 'What's Rada?' He pushed me and pushed me, until, on the third or fourth try, I got in, at the age of 24."

His other, more illustrious mentor was Laurence Olivier, who took him on when the National was at the Old Vic in 1972. Bradley's abiding, awestruck memory of "the old man" was being joined by him in the canteen, where he ate a Spam salad and said: "The best thing to come out of the Second World War, Spam."

"I wish I'd asked him what the first night of Richard III was like, that kind of thing, but I was always nervous. I was talking to Maggie Smith about this earlier in the year while filming Harry Potter and she said, 'Oh, I was just the same, never knew what to say to him.' "

After two years, his contract came to an end, Olivier shook his hand and said, stealing an obscure insult uttered by Toby Belch in Twelfth Night: "If you don't make it, you can call me cut."

"Well, I don't know what making it is," says the mild-mannered Bradley with a smile, "but I've enjoyed it so far."
Old 10-04-2003, 11:19 PM
jus thought i would add this from www.Comingsoon.net

"Emma Thompson is Trelawny in Prisoner of Azkaban Source: Herald Sun Saturday, October 4, 2003

The Herald Sun reports that Emma Thompson is now part of the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban cast.

Emma Thompson will make a guest appearance as the eccentric Professor Trelawny, completing an ensemble cast that boasts Gary Oldman, Julie Christie and Robert Hardy.

Filming is nearly finished at Leavesdon, near Londaon, but the movie is not due for release until June. Pre-production on the fourth film began this week."

josh