Old 11-13-2003, 06:40 AM
Spidey 2 Budget

Did someone say this is costing $210 MILLION!!!? Is that everything or just the negative cost?
If that is just the cost to get the film even WITH effects in the can I think it's a foolish amount of money to spend. Factor in print and publicity costs and the film we NEED to set records in order to turn a profit. Unwise.

I hope it works though.

The above was my last post in the countdown thread. I still think the budget is less than sensible, given the targets that the film will have to hit, revenue wise. What are your opinions?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Spider-Man 2 will make back more than it's budget EASILY.

I predict a final box office of around $500 million worldwide.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:09 PM
$7.25 of that five million will be out of my pocket. I wouldn't miss this movie for the world.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HedwigX
Spider-Man 2 will make back more than it's budget EASILY.

I predict a final box office of around $500 million worldwide.
Well lets look at that.

Assuming a $210m cost to get the film in the can I'd imagine the marketing and print costs will add up to at least another $75m worldwide. Given that the distributor sees about 50% of the ticket price it would take $500m to break the film even.

I agree it will probably be okay but it still seems like an insane amount of money to be spending.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Well..

Reloaded did great on it's opening 5 days, but some people didn't like it and Revolutions did shit on it's opening weekend.

A LOT of people didn't like the first Spidey flick, it made big because it had so much hype attached to it, those that didn't like the first may not go see the second movie...

In most cases sequels make less (except Reloaded/X2), I don't think Spidey 2 will blow at the box office but it won't make as much as the first flick.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:33 PM
It all depends on how good the movie is. If the movie is better than the first, then it'll surpass the first, but if it isn't as good, it won't. Either way, it'll still make over $300 million no matter what.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Further indication that Hollywood is pricing itself out of its own market.

My question is - where will it all end?

The water-shed must be coming soon surely.

RD
Old 11-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rain Dog
My question is - where will it all end?
Who knows? I don't see an end in sight, star salaries are going up all the time and effects shot counts are also going up, niether seems a reversible trend.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:23 PM
It'll take a couple of monumental flops and possibly the bankrupting of a studio or two before anything changes methinks.

RD
Old 12-13-2003, 11:06 PM
I hope Spider Man 2 can surpasse the first one
Remember, second parts aren't as better as the first one
I hope that movie don't be a boom than Matrix Revolutions
Old 12-21-2003, 09:57 PM
I would say with the trailer that just came out, it will make the money back and bring sme profit aswell. The trailer or should i say teaser because it teasers you for more of that great spidey action, plus if they did spend that much money to make it, it shows because they have improved quite a bit over the original special fx.