Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 PM
House Of Leaves

Who has read this? Is it good? Please someone tell me what you thought?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:40 AM
I am apparently the only person in the universe who hated this book. i read it because people kept calling it scary. If scary means putting post-modern art in writing then i call that scary. The plot is fine but how they present is aggrivaitng to no end with constantly different fonts and types and somtimes only a word on the page. I had no idea what I was reading half the time. I truly bad and overtly weird for no good reason novel. Kind of like a Lynch film.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Yeah, a friend of mine bought it a while back. It looked interesting but I imagine trying to figure out this book must be a hell of a task. The constant font and letter type change just takes you out of the story. Sometimes you have to turn the book to read some of the passages.

Though Im sure people who enjoy puzzles will find it interesting, me personally, I dont know if Id enjoy something like that, it seems a bit confusing.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:39 PM
bump!

I just want to hear more schmoes' opinions, I ordered this book today and I figure it will be here in a week or so, I'm starting. I hear is quite a task (like spacemonkey mentions). Do you suggest anything?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Don't try to read it all in one sitting. Just take it a little bit at a time.

In fact, the 'introduction' kind of tells you how to read the book. The character mentions that he reads snippets of the papers that he found in the house 'about an hour each sitting', and I think that the intro is basically telling us how the book should be read.
I don't remember what those first pages said EXACTLY, but that's the gist of it.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:18 AM
The house parts should be adapted into a movie, I hated the rest.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:56 PM
YAY! It just arrived, starting tonight. From what I saw flipping through the pages, I can say this is some fucked up shite.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjohnson
The house parts should be adapted into a movie, I hated the rest.
Damn skippy. The rest of the story was just kinda whiny.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Something is really fucked up with "House of Leaves". I'm truly terrifyied and I don't know why. This book is gonna drive me crazy and I can't stop reading.

Hallways - Allways.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
I was going to buy this the other day, but $20 bucks for a soft cover book...... So, I bought American Psycho instead for $14. Still a lot I think.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martyds761
I was going to buy this the other day, but $20 bucks for a soft cover book...... So, I bought American Psycho instead for $14. Still a lot I think.
I already read AP (brilliant) but I'm enjoying House of Leaves much better.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Okay, now that I finished the book. I want to bump this thread and discuss the book.

I thought it was amazing, to say the truth. Classic. It left be overwhelmed and the ending is SAD. Those letter had me teary eyed.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 PM
BUMP because I bought the book today and I'm sure I will use this thread pretty soon.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:00 PM
I just returned this book to the library a couple of weeks ago.

I loved it. The characters are all very believable, esspecially the family and Navy. It was also very easy to picture the film of the house that was being made while reading the book. Very visual.

Decoding the letters was a very worthwhile task in my opinion.

There -are- some confusing parts, but for the most part they are supposed to be confusing, atleast for a little while until answers are given.

and it isn't that much of a problem to turn the book upside down a few times. Plus, it allows you to get many crazy looks from people, which helps the atmosphere, having people think you're crazy i mean.

I will read it again in the future

Navy's brother was also very easy to connect with and he provided much of the comic relief.

Sad at times, heartfelt at times, and constantly unnerving, house of leaves was awesome.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chandler_bing905
and it isn't that much of a problem to turn the book upside down a few times. Plus, it allows you to get many crazy looks from people, which helps the atmosphere, having people think you're crazy i mean.
AH YES! You see that "blue box" section? Where you need something like a mirror to read it? Well, picture me in school with a mirror I borrowed from a girl friend, reading a book upside down. "Hey, what the hell are you doing?".

Quote:
Navy's brother was also very easy to connect with and he provided much of the comic relief.
The part where you read the transcripts of his conversations inside the house on top of the staircase, you just see how he goes wacko . . . pretty sad.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:00 PM
lol, yeah i had forgotten about the mirror stuff. That was fun as hell.

Quote:
The part where you read the transcripts of his conversations inside the house on top of the staircase, you just see how he goes wacko . . . pretty sad.
definately, that was one of the best parts, i love the way he handled it though. The transcripts make his character so 3D, one of my favorite things about the novel.

I do wish i could see that Navidson Report though.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chandler_bing905
I do wish i could see that Navidson Report though.
It's "Navidson Record" and hell yes I would love it if it was made into a movie. Those parts are the scariest by far.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:31 PM
lol, i knew it sounded wrong, thanks.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Okay, I am now at the part where the book starts becoming crazy with weird writing and mirror images and strikethrough fonts and stuff. I had to stop because it seemed like if I kept going I would have been overwhelmed by the strangeness. So far, I think its excellently written and I love the dual stories.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:28 AM
A Cool Trick

Everyone who has the book, go to footnote #144 - the footnote that is in the blue-outlines boxes and ends with "Picture that. In your dreams." If you keep flipping after that, the next page has that black box and the next one has white space. If you take the pages that contain footnote #144 and hold them up in the light with the whitespace as your page you are looking through, the words form a labyrinth!!! AHHHH SOOO COOOL!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Re: A Cool Trick

Quote:
Originally posted by ANavissi500
Everyone who has the book, go to footnote #144 - the footnote that is in the blue-outlines boxes and ends with "Picture that. In your dreams." If you keep flipping after that, the next page has that black box and the next one has white space. If you take the pages that contain footnote #144 and hold them up in the light with the whitespace as your page you are looking through, the words form a labyrinth!!! AHHHH SOOO COOOL!!!
Wow, I hadn't noticed that one. *gets book* It's in a friend's house but I am going to get it back.

Oh and that's one of billions of tricks throughout the book. Wait till you get to the final parts of the "Navidson Record". Best.thing.ever.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:54 AM
Oh and I wanted to ask someone who is reading it. Chapter 9, I think . . . the one called "Laberynth". I need to know if I was the only one who literally got lost in the footnote laberynth. I couldn't get out of that fucking chapter!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Oh and I wanted to ask someone who is reading it. Chapter 9, I think . . . the one called "Laberynth". I need to know if I was the only one who literally got lost in the footnote laberynth. I couldn't get out of that fucking chapter!!!
Yea that got me too. I kind of didn't follow it 100% out of frustration, but it was still tricky.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:13 PM
This is part of a post that I left on the Need some horror recommendations thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by Maeljin_incarna
Mark's musically talented sister, Poe, released the album Haunted in conjunction with his release of the book. It contains many references to House of Leaves and is a sort of soundtrack for it. I suggest buying both.
I just figured someone here might not have been aware of this.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I've heard "Haunted" (the album) and it's FANTASTIC. If you liked the book, the OST (of sorts) is a no-brainer. Most songs have rightdown references to the book (one of them, the best in fact ("Haunted" is the name of the song) starts with "Tap tap tap tap, tap tap tap tap", like the knockings on the walls from the book) Other moments include the voices of children (Chad/Daisy) saying lines from the book: "I won't cry . . .".

Highly reccomended.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I love this book!!!!!
It took me a while to get through, but this is one of the most original and inventive books I've ever read!

Highly Recommeded!!!!