#1841  
Old 05-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I can't see Narnia 2 making that much money next week. Maybe 40 million at most. Whoever chose a Summer release date buried in the middle of Iron Man and Indiana Jones is a freaking idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #1842  
Old 05-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't think Narnia will have much trouble topping the $65 million opening of the original, even with a lot of competition.
Reply With Quote
  #1843  
Old 05-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro_44 View Post
I don't think Narnia will have much trouble topping the $65 million opening of the original, even with a lot of competition.
Agreed. Overall people seem to really like the first one. It will open very well.
Reply With Quote
  #1844  
Old 05-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I can't see Narnia 2 making that much money next week. Maybe 40 million at most. Whoever chose a Summer release date buried in the middle of Iron Man and Indiana Jones is a freaking idiot.
Does Narnia really share that much of an audience with these films, especially IJ4?
Reply With Quote
  #1845  
Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Narnia should have a huge opening weekend, and even with Indy coming the weekend after it should still keep a solid amount of family audience.
Reply With Quote
  #1846  
Old 05-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Lol , only a billion ? I was thinking 1.5 billion . Nah , 145 mil .

Narnia - 80 mil . Not sure about this one , only because of what's coming the week after , will people just wait to see Indy instead of seeing this . I think this series blows chunks and this one looks to be on the same level of dreadfulness , but it obviously has it's fans

Copperman is definitely out of the top spot next week ( yeah thats what i said about this week ) , i look for it to fade fast now with all the other films being released in the coming weeks , but it will still snag another 22 mil or so .
Reply With Quote
  #1847  
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
1. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian- $70 million
2. Iron Man- $26 million
3. What Happens in Vegas- $12 million
4. Speed Racer- $11 million
5. Made of Honor- $4 million
6. Baby Mama- $3 million
7. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- $2.5 million
8. Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay- $2 million
9. The Forbidden Kingdom- $1 million
10. Nim's Island- $800,000
Reply With Quote
  #1848  
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 AM
80 million for Caspian. It's going to do quite well, both because the first one is almost universally liked if not loved, the reviews for it have been solid, and it looks darker and more action packed, which will draw in a bit older of a teenage audience and will also bring back those who weren't crazy for the first one but are willing to give this one a shot.

The real question will be how it does next weekend opposite Indy. Can both films coexist amicably? There's no doubt Indy will open huge (how huge remains to be seen, particularly because it opens on a Thursday. Revenge of the Sith made around 150 for the Thursday-Sunday frame if I'm not mistaken, and I'd say this has a chance of hitting somewhere near that, if not more in the 130 range). That being said, with Indy drawing so many people, how will Narnia do? Well, Indy doesn't have a huge family draw, although Shia will bring in the teens and the preteens, and parents will want to introduce their kids to the man with the whip. But still, families will still flock to Narnia who didn't get a chance to see it on open weekend or who simply want to see it again. So I'd say another solid 45 for Narnia on weekend two. That's of course assuming it does as well as I think it will this weekend.

Looking ahead, Sex and the City should open with around 40 mil and have very solid legs throughout the summer, and horror film The Strangers could bring in close to 20 mil. Kung Fu Panda could open with about 50, and the same weekend Sandler's Zohan could hit 40. The following weekend Shyamalan's The Happening should take in a modest 30 mil, unless the film gets great reviews in which case it could be higher, and The Hulk could take in anywhere from 50-60 mil, depending on early word of mouth. The next weekend Get Smart could open with 40 million if reviews are solid, though it will certainly battle hard with The Love Guru, Myers' return to screen comedy, which could also near 40 mil. Finishing out June, Wall-E should have a fantastic opening of 70 million and incredible reviews and great legs, and Wanted, the first major R rated non horror film of the summer could open with 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1849  
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
You really went off on a tangent and deconstructed the next two months of opening weekends .

I'm sure Prince Aragorn will take in 80 mil , and i'm hoping it drops hard in the wake of Indy , but i don't know for sure , because last spring / summer , there was plenty of money to go around even with a crowded box office .


If the Chronicles of Middle Earth makes 80 mil opening weekend , i'm thinking 30 the following weekend , with Indy taking in about 160 mil . It's either Indy or Bat that will hit that number , i'm going with Indy as the top draw for the summer and the biggest opening ever , then bat should hit 145 mil opening .

That wall e thing , i'm just not getting it , people said SR was only for kids , and it really isn't , this wall e looks like it's specifically kids , i'll pass , looks pretty damn hokey . A robot , oh god .
Reply With Quote
  #1850  
Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Indiana Jones is not going to completely kill Prince Caspian at the box office. Narnia made almost $300 million domestic! It's an extremely well-liked movie. PC is getting good reviews so far and it's not going to drop over 60% its second weekend. PC will be one of the top grossing movies this summer.
Reply With Quote
  #1851  
Old 05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Hope you're wrong .
Reply With Quote
  #1852  
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Why?
Reply With Quote
  #1853  
Old 05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
My prediction for Prince Caspian's opening: $92 million
Reply With Quote
  #1854  
Old 05-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsenOMC View Post
Why?

because i'll take great pleasure in seeing a Lotr impostor fail or at least not meet expectations .
Reply With Quote
  #1855  
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
because i'll take great pleasure in seeing a Lotr impostor fail or at least not meet expectations .
It's not going to happen, but you can dream I guess. I suppose I can see where you're coming from since I take great pleasure in the total financial disaster otherwise known as Speed Racer.
Reply With Quote
  #1856  
Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
You really went off on a tangent and deconstructed the next two months of opening weekends .

I'm sure Prince Aragorn will take in 80 mil , and i'm hoping it drops hard in the wake of Indy , but i don't know for sure , because last spring / summer , there was plenty of money to go around even with a crowded box office .


If the Chronicles of Middle Earth makes 80 mil opening weekend , i'm thinking 30 the following weekend , with Indy taking in about 160 mil . It's either Indy or Bat that will hit that number , i'm going with Indy as the top draw for the summer and the biggest opening ever , then bat should hit 145 mil opening .

That wall e thing , i'm just not getting it , people said SR was only for kids , and it really isn't , this wall e looks like it's specifically kids , i'll pass , looks pretty damn hokey . A robot , oh god .
I don't think Indy has any chance of breaking the opening weekend record because it opens on a Thursday, and will already have a chunk of it's opening gross taken out on that day. And frankly, I don't think bats can do it either.
Reply With Quote
  #1857  
Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
I'm sure Prince Aragorn will take in 80 mil , and i'm hoping it drops hard in the wake of Indy , but i don't know for sure , because last spring / summer , there was plenty of money to go around even with a crowded box office .

If the Chronicles of Middle Earth makes 80 mil opening weekend , i'm thinking 30 the following weekend , with Indy taking in about 160 mil . It's either Indy or Bat that will hit that number , i'm going with Indy as the top draw for the summer and the biggest opening ever , then bat should hit 145 mil opening .

That wall e thing , i'm just not getting it , people said SR was only for kids , and it really isn't , this wall e looks like it's specifically kids , i'll pass , looks pretty damn hokey . A robot , oh god .
First of all, you mixing the Narnia titles with LOTR titles is getting extremely annoying. I think we get the fact that you loathe the movie already, even though you probably won't even see it.

There is no way Narnia would drop from $80 million to $30 million. Indy will be huge, but it is rated PG-13, leaving plenty of kid crowd left for Narnia.

Wall-E looks spectacular, and to an adult, looks much more appealing than Speed Racer. It's heart and mature story will win the hearts of the majority of adults who take their kids to see it. Look for Wall-E to be one of the best films of the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #1858  
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I think we get the fact that you loathe the movie already, even though you probably won't even see it.
Speaking of that, have you seen Speed Racer yet, Bourne?

Prince Caspian will do well, although I'm interested to see how well. The first film had some stiff competition from King Kong and still managed to outgross it in the box office into Jan '06. Two and a half years later and a different season, I'm actually of the thought that it will have a bigger opening than its predecessor.
Reply With Quote
  #1859  
Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Speaking of that, have you seen Speed Racer yet, Bourne?
Seeing it this weekend! I don't know if I've ever been this unexcited to see a movie!
Reply With Quote
  #1860  
Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Seeing it this weekend! I don't know if I've ever been this unexcited to see a movie!
That's the spirit! (pumps fist into the air)
Reply With Quote
  #1861  
Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd be shocked if Caspian opens to less than $75 million.
Reply With Quote
  #1862  
Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 PM
$77 million lock that in for prince.


as for speed racers 2nd week,i`m just gonna giggle .
Reply With Quote
  #1863  
Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Narnia 2 - 85 millon
Reply With Quote
  #1864  
Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
With Iron Man in its third week of release and Speed Racer being a phenomenal bomb, Narnia pretty much has free rein of the box office for a weekend. 75 minimum, 90 tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
) .
I'm sure Prince Aragorn

If the Chronicles of Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
because i'll take great pleasure in seeing a Lotr impostor fail or at least not meet expectations .
Quality of the two properties completely aside, am I really going to be the first one to point out:

THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE AND PRINCE CASPIAN WERE PUBLISHED BEFORE THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

Good lord, you come off as a hilariously ignorant schmuck with these comments. Not to mention Tolkein and Lewis were friends and in contact for a great chunk of their careers, and the two series being COMPLETELY DIFFERENT thematically. They're both set in a fantasy world. Just like.. EVERY BOOK IN THE GENRE.

Eragon was LOTR-lite, The Sword of Shannara was LOTR-lite.

Narnia is not Lord of the Rings-lite. You're just looking to pick at shit without knowing what you're talking about, which is something I admire, but can't condone.

/not even a Narnia fan.
Reply With Quote
  #1865  
Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsenOMC View Post
Indiana Jones is not going to completely kill Prince Caspian at the box office. Narnia made almost $300 million domestic! It's an extremely well-liked movie. PC is getting good reviews so far and it's not going to drop over 60% its second weekend. PC will be one of the top grossing movies this summer.
I agree with this, because Narnia is the more kid-oriented movie. Plus I also keep having this thought that Indy's opening is not going to meet expectations unless the Thursday numbers are included. The thing is is that it's a nearly 20 year old franchise. I don't see a lot of excitement for it coming from the under 25-30 group outside of above-average film fans.

There was a similar situation last summer with Live Free Or Die Hard, which was also a sequel from a franchise who's most recent installment was quite some time ago. That film that didn't open up to most expectations, but had excellent weekend to weekend holds. I have two theories about this:

1) It was a movie a lot of people wanted to see, but wasn't #1 priority. So they waited until they saw the films that they were anticipating more, and put LFODH on the back burner until those were out of the way.
2) It's audience consisted of more roughly 30+ people, who, generally speaking, aren't the opening weekend door-crasher type.

If it's the 2nd case, then Indy could find a similar fate. By no means will it be a flop, though.
Reply With Quote
  #1866  
Old 05-17-2008, 01:05 AM
80-100 for Narnia

and how much do you all think Indy will make in it's 4 days???

i'm saying 100+
Reply With Quote
  #1867  
Old 05-17-2008, 02:36 AM
Prince Caspian will do make $90-$100 million this weekend, and will drop when Indy opens. Even though it's a 20 year old franchise, I think there are a lot of youngsters who love the movies also. I think it'll make $80+ when it opens.
Reply With Quote
  #1868  
Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 PM
3-Day Predictions

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- $120 million
2. The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian- $28 million
3. Iron Man- $18 million
4. What Happens in Vegas- $9 million
5. Speed Racer- $3.75 million
6. Baby Mama- $3 million
7. Made of Honor- $2.75 million
8. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- $2 million
9. Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay- $1 million
10. The Forbidden Kingdom- $500,000

Indy Predictions:

Thursday- $50 million
Friday- $35 million
Saturday- $42 million
Sunday- $35 million
Monday- $25 million

3-Day Total- $112 million
4-Day Total- $162 million
5-Day Total- $187 million
Reply With Quote
  #1869  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
What's everybody thinking for Indiana Jones?

I'm thinking

$102 million 3-day
$164 million 5-day
Reply With Quote
  #1870  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah I'm thinking a 92-110 million 3 day with a 125-140 million 5 day.
Reply With Quote
  #1871  
Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM
My prediction for Indy... 105 for the 3-day, 140 with Thursday included.
Reply With Quote
  #1872  
Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
5-Day Total- $187 million
WOW! I'm not so sure about that.
Reply With Quote
  #1873  
Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky4fingerz View Post
WOW! I'm not so sure about that.
Well look at the breakdown:

Thursday- $50 million
Friday- $35 million
Saturday- $42 million
Sunday- $35 million
Monday- $25 million

Those numbers are not unreasonable, and are very much comparable to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, as well as Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith. And even if those are a bit high, I can't see it making much less than $160 million over the 5-day opening.
Reply With Quote
  #1874  
Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 PM
1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- $52 million
2. Sex and the City- $35 million
3. The Strangers- $13 million
4. Iron Man- $12.5 million
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian- $12 million
6. What Happens in Vegas- $6 million
7. Made of Honor- $2.5 million
8. Baby Mama- $2.25 million
9. Speed Racer- $2 million
10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- $1 million

Indiana Jones should drop a bit less than 50%. Sex and the City is a tough one to predict, but I'm thinking around $35-40 million. The Strangers has had very good marketing, lots of TV spots, trailers at big hit movies, and it is the polar opposite of Sex and the City, so it should be able to take in a decent amount of cash and should surpass its $10 million budget on opening weekend. Iron Man will continue to have small drops throughout the rest of its run. Narnia should drop a bit less than 50%. What Happens in Vegas will continue to have small drops.
Reply With Quote
  #1875  
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Anyone that is still lowballing Sex and the City is fooling themselves.

PREDICTIONS:

Sex and the City: $63.2 million
The Strangers: $10.4 million
Reply With Quote
  #1876  
Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Sex and the City, despite my contempt for the show, will be HUGE. Mark my words.

SatC is for women like 300 was for guys. I'm gonna set my prediction at $70 million.
Reply With Quote
  #1877  
Old 05-29-2008, 05:06 AM
I'm setting my prediction for SATC at 55 million, but more wouldn't shock me. This isn't your typical rom-com, it's got a very good sized audience who are very loyal to the show and are well established. If I recall correctly (I didn't watch the show but know some who did), the show ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger. That left the audience wanting more and the movie will be their way of scratching their itch.

However, I also think that status will be both a blessing and a curse. It means that it'll do great business on weekend 1, because everyone wants to know right away what happens, so they can discuss it with their friends who are also loyal fans, and also so they can avoid spoilers as much as possible. But the curse also comes in in the fact that with so many going to see it weekend 1, that the holds won't be good coming into weekend 2, especially compared to other recent films in the same genre.
Reply With Quote
  #1878  
Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM
May 30 - Jun 1 weekend:

1. Sex and the City - $51 million
2. Indy - $46 million
3. Iron Man - $13m
4. Prince Caspian - $12m
5. The Strangers - $10m
Reply With Quote
  #1879  
Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Because of all the media coverage, I'm begining to think that some people are underestimating Sex and the City. I have a feeling that it will be HUGE. Just my gut feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #1880  
Old 05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Because of all the media coverage, I'm begining to think that some people are underestimating Sex and the City. I have a feeling that it will be HUGE. Just my gut feeling.
After reflecting for a few days, I think you are right. I also think that people are underestimating The Strangers a bit, but maybe that's just me. I think it will definitely make over $10 million, and will most definitely make more than the $7 million that most are predicting. The marketing has been great, and it's not like every guy is going to see Sex and the City. I see it as more of a group of girl friends going to see S&TC. I think The Strangers will end up with $12 or $13 million.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump