Old 03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Bubba Ho-Tep

Had this gem gotten the wide release it deserved, it still wouldn't have hindered the cult following it's deservedly achieved. Whilst some films garner rather undeserved praise because of their rarity of screenings, the only rarity to be found in this film is how it manages to successfully blend humor, mild horror, and drama into a cinematic masterpiece unlike no other.
At first glance, a story revolving around a geriatric Elvis and his African-American co-hort who believes himself to be JFK "abducted by aliens who later dyed [his] skin," who do battle with an ancient mummy may seem to be mere cult fodder at best, but Coscarelli's direction, along with his wonderful adaptation of Landsdale's creation, has established a heartfelt coming-of-age story of an elderly American icon who comes to find out it's never late to truly come of age. What sets this film apart (and I would add predecessors to this statement, but the film has achieved its own bar) in addition to its unconventional humor while still retaining some gentle slapstick aimed at the absurdity of the characters’ predicament is its ability to render Elvis’ emotions of that of an Everyman, not an icon.
Those who weren’t fortunate enough to see it in its theatrical glory will be in for a treat come May 25th with its DVD release.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
I just got back from seeing this film at the Angelika, and I totally agree with your review and everyone else. The movie successfully blended horror and humor. I will get the DVDs.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Saw it twice and loved it both times. I don't even know if I would call it horror. There horror elements are played almost entirely for comedic effect. It was brilliant, though and loved it as a very subtle comedy.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:13 PM
I saw it and loved it. I really felt it was more of a poignant statement about aging than anything else.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Just caught this "Gem" of a movie, and I must say this one is shear brilliance through out! Great Story, Charactorization, Atmosphere, and everything in between! A staggering 9.5/10.

"Alright Man, Let's go!" - The King ( Bruce Campbell )
Old 04-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Just finished watching the screener of this one and all I can say is......underwhelming.

AAAAH, WHO AM I KIDDING!?!?! Awesome. Amazing. I totally agree with Arrow's review and just about everyone elses. It was funny, engaging, and managed to even be touching. The best cinematic ode to Elvis there is, and Bruce Campbell quite basically gives the performance of his career. Needless to say I'll be watching this one many times in the coming days, and once the DVD hits....it'll be on my shelf.

Coscarelli is a talented man....roll on Phantasm's End!
Old 04-11-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm counting the days until this beauty is released on DVD.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KillerKlown
I'm counting the days until this beauty is released on DVD.
You and me both, Klown. You and me both.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Did anyone get around to seeing this flick yet? I got a DVD screener of it and I have to say I was expecting alot more. The film just felt like it had no meat on it. Only 1 or 2 real appearances by the bad guy. Although at the same time I realized it was supposed to be a small B flick so at that it succeeds. Bruce Campbell is hands down great. I laughed a few times during the movie at his performance. The musical score is also really cool. I love the dark rock music used in the horror scenes. The thing about Bubba Hotep is that 80% of it is really about Old age. Its mostly scenes of Elvis (Bruce) talking about his malodies with gross out humor. The fact that its based on a short story probably also aids the small feel to it. I will give it another watch. Usully when I have huge expectations for a film I usually think it was rather a letdown. Upon second viewing I will be able to watch it for what it is.

7/10 (Maybe a 6/10)
Old 04-14-2004, 11:27 AM
WARNING!

Don't watch "Bubba Ho-Tep" expecting an Evil Dead type movie. I don't even consider it much of a horror film. But that being said, it was surprisingly good (to me).

It really is more about getting old... if you're 18 there might be nothing in it for you