Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
When did everyone get to the series? I mean, what was the most recent game you played first?

I started with VIII in '99, from then on I anticipated every oncoming FF.
I started with I in 1992 or so and loved it. I was like 8 when I played it (obviously with help from my older sister) and I liked the whole concept. I then played IV when it was released as II in the US. Then, I took a long break... I was too young to realize games in the main series were different than the offshoots, so I played Mystic Quest, hated it, and left the series alone for a bit and got into other games and other RPGs (Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Illusion of Gaia, etc.). I got back into it with VII, and since then have played them all right when they came out. VII is what made me a devoted fan, though, making me go back and play previous installments on various emulators, and motivating me to play all the offshoots (Tactics, Crystal Chronicles, the wholly underrated FF Adventure, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
IX is one of the best? really?
I get the sense that IX is the most polarizing of all the games.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 PM
What are you guys! Like 30?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM
I played FFI but I was too young to really appreciate the stories of the first few games so I didn't get hooked until VII.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
FFI didn't have too much a story to be honest. I didn't beat it until I was older since it was actually a pretty hard game (the Nintendo version) and I was very young.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
FFI didn't have too much a story to be honest. I didn't beat it until I was older since it was actually a pretty hard game (the Nintendo version) and I was very young.
FFI story = You're the hero's..... go save the world.

And thats about all you get, lol.

This game was incredibly hard if you didn't have the 2 fold outs that came with it. One was a Beatiary or every creature and the flipside was charts for all the weapons/armour/magics the different classes could use. The second was a simple layout of all the dungoens and the flipside was a World map with everywhere to go in order.

Now i assume the logic was that since theres no possible way a child could loose these fold outs and so there was no reason to include any of this info in the game itself! Now the maps (atleast with where to actaully go) and Beastiary you don't really expect in games but things like who can equip what and use what magics is integral to not wasting the minor amount of money you have in the first place.

And you can really tell its a first in the series of amazing RPS by just all the stuff they hadn't though of yet like

-healing items that heal more then 60 HP
-replenishable MP outside of Inn-like setting
-resurecting in battle
-using spells or itmes to resurect
-attacks that were asigned to a now slain monster are directed at a live one
-having a general inventory
-saving outside of an Inn-like setting
-side quests

The rerelease for the Playstation fixed alot of these problems, though not all of them, and it made the game super easy lol.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I did like the Chaos/Garland twist at the end, though. Intersting plot point for a game so old. But FF didn't get story awesomeness until II. I was really impressed by FFII's story. Seems very sophisticated for such an old title.

And yeah, FFI was stupidly difficult upon its original release; I know I would've popped a vein if that's the one I had finished.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Just started FF3 on my Ds yesterday and while it's really simple I'm actually having a lot of fun playing it. The only game int he series that I've played all the way through is VII which is currently my favorite game and while I own 8, 10, and 12 I just got this for 5 dollars on DS and thought I'd play it especially because I fucking love the DS.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Grrr start VIII!

Now!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Quote:
What are you guys! Like 30?
I'm thirty and have never played any FFs previous to VII. Perhaps I was too engrossed in Phantasy Star to notice FF's existence. Ah, the lamentations of a misspent youth.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Grrr start VIII!

Now!
rather! Go Junction System!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Son of a bitch! When I sold my PS2, I forgot to take Disc 1 of FF7 out of it!

Mother fucker!

Gonna have to hit up E-bay for a copy since chances are incredibly slim of finding it at a store.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh man that sucks. Surely you can go get it back? Where did you sell it?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:50 PM
E-bay of all places!

I somehow managed to get 110 dollars for it.

I doubt I can get it back, the person who I sold it to never mentioned anything about the disc so I'm sure it's long gone by now. That was almost a year ago too.

Oh well, shouldn't be too much to replace...
Old 05-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Think again. FFVII is stupidly expensive right now. You'll be lucky to find it for less than, what, $70.

Though, if you're quick, here.

He's only selling discs 1 and 2, so you might be in luck. Not a lot of people are going to bid on half-a-game.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Think again. FFVII is stupidly expensive right now. You'll be lucky to find it for less than, what, $70.

Though, if you're quick, here.

He's only selling discs 1 and 2, so you might be in luck. Not a lot of people are going to bid on half-a-game.
Maybe I'll just wait for the remake, eh?

Knowing Square, hopefully we will see some sort of PS1 FF anthology released for the PS3. That would actually be quite cool.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
How long of a game is Crisis Core? I'm considering buying a PSP from a guy I know (although I already forgot who it was, shouldn't have gotten drunk last night...), and this is the main reason I would do so, so I don't want to buy it and then it ends up being done really quickly. And would it be smarter to buy the two FF remakes on the PSP or get FF Origins on PS1?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:22 PM
It took me about a month to finish I think with casual play, completing almost no side quests.

Along with FF Tactics, FF 1 and 2 the PSP is a pretty good buy if your a FF fan.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Goto second hand shops that try to deal in only electronics and you'll probaly find a couple for like $17.99 actaully. Small towns are better for this, the one in the town i used to live in always has 2 or 3 copies of it VIII and IX.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien22 View Post
How long of a game is Crisis Core? I'm considering buying a PSP from a guy I know (although I already forgot who it was, shouldn't have gotten drunk last night...), and this is the main reason I would do so, so I don't want to buy it and then it ends up being done really quickly. And would it be smarter to buy the two FF remakes on the PSP or get FF Origins on PS1?
Crisis Core progresses very linearly, and is relatively easy, so if you just go through the game, you're probably talking 30 hours of gameplay. If you do extra stuff, some of the later missions could get very difficult and the maps could get pretty long, resulting in a much longer game. I did everything except some of the "missable" missions, and overall it took a little under 70 hours.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Alright, thanks for the info on Crisis Core. Can someone fill me in on my FF 1/2 question?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Alright, thanks for the info on Crisis Core. Can someone fill me in on my FF 1/2 question?
"Dawn of Souls"/"Origins" will probably be much cheaper, but the PSP ports are pretty good, look/sound better, and I think FFII has some extra stuff in there.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Quote:
i played the FFI on the PS1 and it was pretty good, an amazing upgrade fomr the original with the option to play it as close to the original nintendo version as possible. I don't think they added any new stuff to it but feels far more like a RPG then the original as it was usually a practice in frustration lol.

I would think the PSP version is probably almost a direct port form the PS1 versions, though they may have added some stuff in this time.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Quote:
When did everyone get to the series? I mean, what was the most recent game you played first?

I started with VIII in '99, from then on I anticipated every oncoming FF.
Started with FFIV (though I knew it then as FFII) - I was pratically a baby then. I didn't play I or (the real) II until much later. Now the only ones I haven't played are III and V, at least of the early games. Of the ones I've played, VII is still my favorite, although I've probably played VIII the most.

I used to always be eager for the new installments. But that was when I was on the cutting edge of gaming technology. Now I have a Gameboy, a NES, a SNES, a Playstation, and an N64 - that's it. The last FF I played was the last one to come out for one of those systems (i.e. FFIX).
Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Quote:
"Dawn of Souls"/"Origins" will probably be much cheaper, but the PSP ports are pretty good, look/sound better, and I think FFII has some extra stuff in there.
Yeah I saw screen shots for the PSP ports. They look fantastic.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 PM
There's also those extra dungeons, "Soul of Rebirth" which are a nice addition, though I'm not entirely sure which of the other ports had it.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Alright, so if I was to only be getting FF1, FF2, FF Crisis Core, Metal Gear Ops, GoW Chains of Olympus, and the GTA "Stories" games (I know they're on PS2, but the only reason I even want them is for portability) would you guys say it's a wise descision to buy a PSP? (keep in mind this would be for about 70 dollars from a guy I know) Or should I just wait for a bit longer because to be honest the only game I REALLY want is Crisis Core? What other games are out/coming out that would be worth getting (I love RPGs, a great fighter [although im sure Street Fighter 4 and DBZ Burst Limit will cover me on those for a while], and some adventure games although I haven't played any non-nintendo adventure games that I've truly loved.)

The other thing is that while I did list a lot of games I want on this system, there are more games I want on the DS. I will have a LOT of time for portable systems this summer though, as there are times where those will be the only types of video games I'll be able to play for multiple weeks.

I definitely have enough money, but I don't like to overspend and I will be buying MGS4 no doubt as well as DBZ Burst Limit, Killzone 2, and an assortment (probably 5) of DS games. I also need (well don't really need, but I don't really need this stuff either) funds for.... other things.

Long post I know, but basically, what other PSP games s hould I get that I'm missing?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 AM
That's a big ass list of games you're interested in, and for that price, yes, it's very wise.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 AM
yeah i would recomend getting the PSP if you're looking for portability, i got rid of my DS cause the games i was playing (stuff like Zelda, FF3, Hero's of Mana) it got increasingly difficult to play on the go as the diffuclty of waht you had to do went up.

Now i'm not saynig that PSP isn't the same way but with the way you have to use the touch stuff on the DS you'll find you may not want ot get it out and play while say on the bus or a crowded subway.

Also it can be quite annoying whenever you have to use the mic in the DS games as it doesn't seem to work unless you shout into it which can get you some puzzled stares at times, lol.

but thats just me.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Alright, yeah right after I posted that I realized that it's a sufficient list of games and I'm probably definitely getting it. Any other games I should look out for though?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Maybe "Silent Hill: 0rigins". Mediocre game, but worth a rent.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Started VIII. So let me get this straight, is grinding in this game a waste of time since the boss's level up with you?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Started VIII. So let me get this straight, is grinding in this game a waste of time since the boss's level up with you?
Not a waste of time, but not necessary.

What's good about that is: just play the game and don't worry about upcoming boss fights, whether you're ready or not in terms of level. Play as you regularly would, without escaping battles, junctioning to your best, etc. And I reccomend you get a guide (or ask here) so you get all the GF's. Many are hidden, and you only get one chance to get them, and they're extremely useful.

I still reccomend you stock up on magic and so early in the game, though. The rest just plays itself. One of the title's many beauties.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
I reserved my copy of Final Fantasy IV for DS today. WOOT.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 AM
New "Dissidia: Final Fantasy" trailer.

I know many of you are against the concept of an all-FF character fighting game, and really think that it's just Square Enix whoring out and further milking their franchise.

But hear this:

FUCK THAT SHIT.

That trailer is fucking awesome. Squall pwning Sephiroth, Ultimecia showing up, Firion and Zidane having a talk (about something!!), Tidus kicking ass for once . . . pure fanboy bonerism.

I can't wait.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 06-27-2008 at 01:54 AM..
Old 06-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Squall vs Sepiroth

Zidane vs Tidus

I may or may not have just pissed myself.

And since I haven't really heard much about this game this is for the PSP right?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey guys. I've never played any FF games (with the exception of FF Tactics and FFV for the GBA), or most RPG's in general, and recently came across a flash game that has a similar battle system to FF games (at least from my knowledge) and it got me thinking that I should probably get into these games.

Everything I've come across points to FFVII being the most famous in the series, so I thought I'd start there. I have a PS2, but given the size and age of the game, I'm having trouble finding a feasable way to go about finding it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Honestly I'd say start out with Final Fantasy 10. It's easy to find used at a game store and is probably top 3 on most peoples lists. Has an easier to follow story to boot. FF7 can be pretty fuckin confusing.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Shit, I remember playing the original Final Fantasy game on the NES in a Best Buy or a Wal-Mart (can't remember which for sure). Eventually moved onto part 4 (2 in the US) and was hooked all the way to part 9. After 9, I stopped giving a shit, only because I got bored with Video Games right about the time PS2 came out. I guess I just lost all interest for whatever reason. Maybe someday I'll get back into them again, and get me a PS2, just to try out part 10 and X2. I did play a little bit of the MMORPG FF11, which was a lotta fun. Really cool graphics too.

I've not seen much of 12, with the exception of the Zelda-like battle system, it didn't seem like it was really any different from any other FF game. Though I could be completely wrong there.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 AM
FFVII is really hard to find, and if you do, it's pretty expensive. But it is an excellent game and a great place to start.

Otherwise, just try any FF post-VII you find. FFX might also work. FFXII is phenomenal.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:02 AM
I do loves me some Final Fantasy, but I'm really fucking sick of Square Enix milking the god damn franchise. With all the spin offs and pseudo-sequels (a fucking FFIV sequel on CELL PHONES? Come on), it seems like the Final Fantasy series is losing its luster. I'm nowhere near as excited for FFXIII as I am for games like Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Dragon Quest IX (not to mention new versions of DQ IV, V and VI on DS), the new Valkyrie Profile on DS, and a couple of others.

Right now, the Enix half of Square Enix > the Square half. Yeah, sure Disidia looks cool (or however the fuck you spell it), but it's not necessary at all. And as excited as I am for FFIV on DS, we don't need a fucking 7th god damn version of that game. Square Enix is the only company I simultaneously love and hate. Because when they show off something like The Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery, it's like "FUCK YEAH! I LOVE YOU S-E!" and then they go and announce something like a semi-Parasite Eve sequel...for fucking cell phones, and it's like "FUCK YOU! I HATE YOU, S-E!"