Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #561  
Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 PM
So just as with any other high profile new release, the GameFAQs forums have EXPLODED with fucking whiners. I'm taking all their complaints with a grain of salt because it's GameFAQs AKA the cesspool of the internet. A lot of people are complaining that there aren't really any towns; it makes sense within the context of the story. Your characters are l'Cie, which basically makes them outcast from society, and they're also on the run, so it makes sense that you wouldn't stopping to chat and shop in towns. Also, Final Fantasy X had like...3 towns, and I loved the shit out of that game.

Also, it seems like the gameplay is pretty linear until later in the game; linear in the sense that the maps are pretty much straight and there aren't really any sidequests until later in the game. Once again, we'll use Final Fantasy X as an example. A lot of the "dungeons" are pretty much a straight path with a few branching paths with treasures, and once again, X is one of my favorite games in the series. The only thing I'm concerned about (for lack of a better word) is the characters. Because the characters make or break an RPG. Regardless, I'm excited as FUCK that it's just 3 months away. To think we've been waiting like 5 years is crazy. The battle system looks fun as hell. As long as I don't dread fighting enemies, I'll have fun with it (even if the characters aren't the best).
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Final Fantasy has always been one of those games that everyone moans and bitches about but they still are buying and playing each new sequel that comes out with some lame excuse like they are "hoping it will be more like FF6" or some other generic internet tripe.

And holy shit I can't believe it's been 5 years either!
Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Final Fantasy has always been one of those games that everyone moans and bitches about but they still are buying and playing each new sequel that comes out with some lame excuse like they are "hoping it will be more like FF6" or some other generic internet tripe.

And holy shit I can't believe it's been 5 years either!
Yup. Anytime a new FF game comes out, the internet explodes with whining. I remember when FFXII came out. It was a torrent of tears.
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 AM
yeah, people need to understand what Final Fantasy is now. Most people consider IV-VII to be the high points, and if that's the type of game you're expecting, it's going to disappoint. Personally, although I consider VI the best, my next 2 favorites are probably IX and XII, and those were quite unique games. That's the thing with FF: they keep tinkering with the formula (moreso in recent installments), and it works. None of the games feel the same any more. I don't know why people are so scared of changes. When XII came out, people were completely pissed off about the gambit system, just because it doesn't give the feel of a classic J-RPG. I found it to be the best addition to the series since the job class was introduced. XIII looks a lot different, too, and quite frankly I'm excited for those changes. The only thing I hope for is that the side quests are not too out of the way. I loved the hunts in XII because you can choose to do them as you're progressing through the story for the most part, as opposed to making special stops at the Monster Arena or Gold Saucer that take up hours without any plot development.

And I also agree with the characters. My general rule of thumb: it's more important to NOT have bad characters than it is to have GREAT characters. I know that sounds weird, especially in older games where you can just choose not to use crappy characters, but I always look at VII as an example. VII had some truly classic characters (Cloud, Vincent, Cid, Sephiroth, the Turks) and then some truly awful ones (Red XIII, Cait Sith, and the incredibly racist Barrett). Those downfalls really detract from the cast as a whole. When I look at a game like XII, I suppose the worst character is Penelo, but she doesn't bother me in the least. There are only a couple truly epic characters in that game (Balthier, Ashe, and possibly Larsa) but overall, I prefer that cast to VII's. I hope XIII doesn't have any one that I really loathe. It just distracts me too much I guess. I'm sure I'm in the minority there, but that's just how I feel with these games.
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
yeah, people need to understand what Final Fantasy is now. Most people consider IV-VII to be the high points, and if that's the type of game you're expecting, it's going to disappoint. Personally, although I consider VI the best, my next 2 favorites are probably IX and XII, and those were quite unique games. That's the thing with FF: they keep tinkering with the formula (moreso in recent installments), and it works. None of the games feel the same any more. I don't know why people are so scared of changes. When XII came out, people were completely pissed off about the gambit system, just because it doesn't give the feel of a classic J-RPG. I found it to be the best addition to the series since the job class was introduced. XIII looks a lot different, too, and quite frankly I'm excited for those changes. The only thing I hope for is that the side quests are not too out of the way. I loved the hunts in XII because you can choose to do them as you're progressing through the story for the most part, as opposed to making special stops at the Monster Arena or Gold Saucer that take up hours without any plot development.

And I also agree with the characters. My general rule of thumb: it's more important to NOT have bad characters than it is to have GREAT characters. I know that sounds weird, especially in older games where you can just choose not to use crappy characters, but I always look at VII as an example. VII had some truly classic characters (Cloud, Vincent, Cid, Sephiroth, the Turks) and then some truly awful ones (Red XIII, Cait Sith, and the incredibly racist Barrett). Those downfalls really detract from the cast as a whole. When I look at a game like XII, I suppose the worst character is Penelo, but she doesn't bother me in the least. There are only a couple truly epic characters in that game (Balthier, Ashe, and possibly Larsa) but overall, I prefer that cast to VII's. I hope XIII doesn't have any one that I really loathe. It just distracts me too much I guess. I'm sure I'm in the minority there, but that's just how I feel with these games.
I thought Vaan was one of the WORST Final Fantasy characters (I would say protagonist, but that game didn't really have one single main character), but that didn't stop me from loving that game. That reminds me; I need to finish it one of these days.

Last edited by dfd3657; 12-23-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:13 AM
The first time I played X I hated Vaan with a passion, but after replaying it and then playing X-2 he isn't as bad as I initially thought. I think the two biggest reasons he is so hated is the poor voice acting and his retarded yellow one panted costume. And neither of those are indications of a bad character.
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
The first time I played X I hated Vaan with a passion, but after replaying it and then playing X-2 he isn't as bad as I initially thought. I think the two biggest reasons he is so hated is the poor voice acting and his retarded yellow one panted costume. And neither of those are indications of a bad character.
Vaan was from XII. Tidus is the one in X. XD Just had to fix that for ya.
Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 12-23-2009, 07:43 AM
For those with PS3's FFVIII has been released for download!
Reply With Quote
  #569  
Old 12-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
For those with PS3's FFVIII has been released for download!
I've still got my original black label copy. I got excited when I saw that regardless.
Reply With Quote
  #570  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
Vaan was from XII. Tidus is the one in X. XD Just had to fix that for ya.
Oh snap. I just got schooled. Haha. Easy mistake to make though they are both very similar. But ya I was talking about Tidus.
Reply With Quote
  #571  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
I've still got my original black label copy. I got excited when I saw that regardless.
Yeah i wish i could find a copy with all 4 disks still working for a decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Oh snap. I just got schooled. Haha. Easy mistake to make though they are both very similar.
I thought this same thing when i first played XII.
Reply With Quote
  #572  
Old 12-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Oh snap. I just got schooled. Haha. Easy mistake to make though they are both very similar. But ya I was talking about Tidus.
yeah they are. And the funny thing is, the major complaint was that they were both "whiny," but if you actually listen to what they say, neither character is whiny in the least. It's just TERRIBLE voice-acting, moreso in Tidus' case, but also in Vaan's. But I've played XII comprehensively, and Vaan is not a whiny character at all. He's a goofball, but never says anything annoying or whiny. I read a review that made the same case for Tidus in X (I haven't played that in a long time and I don't remember too well, but since it's true with Vaan, I figure it's probably true with Tidus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
I thought Vaan was one of the WORST Final Fantasy characters (I would say protagonist, but that game didn't really have one single main character), but that didn't stop me from loving that game. That reminds me; I need to finish it one of these days.
really? I thought Vaan was a lot like Tidus, but less annoying because he was less important. I also thought he had some good moments of humor, and I liked the perspective he brought (basically, he was as clueless as we were, and asked the same questions we were thinking). But I know a lot of people hated him. I still believe that IX and XII have the best overall casts, but I might give IX the edge.
Reply With Quote
  #573  
Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 AM
IXs cast is by far my favourite... Amaranth is the only completely useless character there, even Quina bought some homour and although she was clearly a re-hash of Cait Sith she seems nowhere near as irrelevant.

I also think VIIIs cast is really great, the only thing that lets it down for me is the dream sequences, I really didnt get them at all, they just disrupted the gameplay in key moments (for me anyone). But aside from that the main cast all fit perfectly into the story and come together better than in any of the others.

VII really could have had the best cast, Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, Sephiroth, The Turks, Vincent, Yuffie - all amazing characters but then there are just some serious 'What were you thinking characters' (Cait Sith) that make the whole thing fall slightly to pieces.
Reply With Quote
  #574  
Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Regret View Post
IXs cast is by far my favourite... Amaranth is the only completely useless character there, even Quina bought some homour and although she was clearly a re-hash of Cait Sith she seems nowhere near as irrelevant.

VII really could have had the best cast, Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, Sephiroth, The Turks, Vincent, Yuffie - all amazing characters but then there are just some serious 'What were you thinking characters' (Cait Sith) that make the whole thing fall slightly to pieces.
I'd also like to point out Quina was not only funny, but useful. His/her abilities were awesome. Definitely craps on Cait Sith.

And you're right on the ball with VII. To use mathematical terms, I'd say this:

VII has the "Maximax." Basically, the best of the best characters are in VII. Cloud, Turks, Sephiroth (even though he's overrated, he's still the man), Cid, Aerith are all top notch. IV is a close runner up here.

XII, in my opinion, had the "Maximin." The best of the worst characters were in XII, as no one really bothered me. As I said, Penelo was probably my least favorite, followed by Vaan. For that to be the bottom tier in characters is pretty darn good.

VIII I felt had the "Minimax." The worst of the best characters. Basically, no one here really stood out to me as an epic, timeless character. Not that the cast sucked at all, as it was pretty strong overall, but just nothing stood out to me.

X had the "Minimin." That is, the bottom of the barrel characters. Thanks, Wakka and Tidus (Live and let live!!!). VII is close here, and probably would take the cake if they had voices and Barrett was some Mr. T wannabe voice actor, emphasizing the racism of that character.

IX has the "Saddlepoint." The best overall outcome. Everything is balanced, and everyone is solid. XII and VI are runners up.
Reply With Quote
  #575  
Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I'd also like to point out Quina was not only funny, but useful. His/her abilities were awesome. Definitely craps on Cait Sith.

And you're right on the ball with VII. To use mathematical terms, I'd say this:

VII has the "Maximax." Basically, the best of the best characters are in VII. Cloud, Turks, Sephiroth (even though he's overrated, he's still the man), Cid, Aerith are all top notch. IV is a close runner up here.

XII, in my opinion, had the "Maximin." The best of the worst characters were in XII, as no one really bothered me. As I said, Penelo was probably my least favorite, followed by Vaan. For that to be the bottom tier in characters is pretty darn good.

VIII I felt had the "Minimax." The worst of the best characters. Basically, no one here really stood out to me as an epic, timeless character. Not that the cast sucked at all, as it was pretty strong overall, but just nothing stood out to me.

X had the "Minimin." That is, the bottom of the barrel characters. Thanks, Wakka and Tidus (Live and let live!!!). VII is close here, and probably would take the cake if they had voices and Barrett was some Mr. T wannabe voice actor, emphasizing the racism of that character.

IX has the "Saddlepoint." The best overall outcome. Everything is balanced, and everyone is solid. XII and VI are runners up.
Quina was fucking awesome. Blue mage for the fucking WIN. Anyway, I've gotta show some love for Final Fantasy VI; that cast was amazing. Sure, you had useless fucks like Gogo and Umaro, but they don't even count because they were secret characters. I mean, Shadow was awesome; he'd slit his momma's throat for a nickel. And not to mention that Kefka is THE best Final Fantasy villain ever. He poisons an entire town of people JUST BECAUSE HE WANTS TO HEAR THEM SCREAM. He asks one of his lackeys to clean the sand off his boots...IN THE GOD DAMN DESERT.
Reply With Quote
  #576  
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Just downloaded this last night



Seems pretty sweet, anyone else played this yet?
Reply With Quote
  #577  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Just downloaded this last night



Seems pretty sweet, anyone else played this yet?
Yeah... I'll just copy/paste an earlier post about the game, since my opinion really hasn't changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
first impression of Dissidia: the art is terrible. I mean, terrible. It's a fun game, though. I love the gameplay and the story. It's much more than just fun fan service (like Kingdom Hearts) as they actually have a reason for these characters' paths crossing. It barely feels like a fighting game. It might potentially be my favorite PSP game (currently that honor goes to Crisis Core).

But I have to get back to the art here. I'm an FF traditionalist. I've played all the main games (not counting XI) and a lot of the other titles. I remember a time where FF characters weren't so girly-looking. VII changed that (thanks, Sephiroth) and it looks like because that style was so popular, they decided to re-design the classic characters to fit that aesthetic. An example: one of my favorite heroes, Cecil from FFIV. It's hard to find in-game shots that are clear, but this is the art design for Cecil in this game:



He looks like a chick. I know, Paladin Cecil wasn't overly manly, but this is outrageous. It kind of bothers me. Look at this in-game picture of Cecil and some of the heroes:



Even Emo Squall is less brooding, and more effeminate. Aside from that, I love this game.
Reply With Quote
  #578  
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
http://kotaku.com/5446974/interview-...e-another-game

Please. Stop posting articles like this. All it's doing is fanning the flames of the whiners saying that the game has been gimped because of the Xbox 360 version. If they knew anything about game development, they'd know that the final version of a game NEVER has all the originally planned content. Stuff gets cut for time constraints, space constraints or, could it be, IT DIDN'T NEED TO BE IN THE GAME. I swear, I'm going to become a hermit and never use the internet again. It'd probably lower my blood pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #579  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Ridiculous article? Yes. But that's still an alarming amount of content. I mean, enough locations to not just make another game, but another FINAL FANTASY game? I know stuff gets cut, but that's a lot. I don't blame the 360 version for this. I just think Square is getting overly ambitious (any one who played XII realizes that it pushed the PS2 to the brink of its capabilities... same goes for IX on the PS).

Random question: is an FFXIII expansion pack a possibility? I don't think I've played a JRPG that went that route, but if they have so many locations on the cutting room floor, why not?
Reply With Quote
  #580  
Old 01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Random question: is an FFXIII expansion pack a possibility? I don't think I've played a JRPG that went that route, but if they have so many locations on the cutting room floor, why not?
I think that would be determined by how they designed the game to begin with. With their rep they won't want to release a sub par product if they can help it (even if it is just an add on) so they would have had that idea form the get go for it to be realized. Otherwise i can only assume that i would be a ton of work to make the game capable of getting addons imo. But i'm not sure how all that works to tell you the truth.

But i wouldn't really rule it out though, with the amount of online content and addons for games these days they may have considered it from the beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #581  
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone catch the new English-language trailer of Final Fantasy XIII. I swear this game looks more amazing each time I see a video of it; truly epic.
Reply With Quote
  #582  
Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
Anyone catch the new English-language trailer of Final Fantasy XIII. I swear this game looks more amazing each time I see a video of it; truly epic.
link?
Reply With Quote
  #583  
Old 01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
link?
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/in...-fantasy/60729

At first I thought the Leona Lewis song was a bit...unfitting for the trailer, but the more I watch it, the more it grows on me. Aside from Mass Effect 2, BioShock 2 and Heavy Rain, this is the game I'm the most fucking pumped for. God, it needs to be March 9th.
Reply With Quote
  #584  
Old 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM
.... excuse mw while i go change my pants...

Just watched it in HD on my new tv and my god if this game is anything short of epic i'll be surprised. I'm not all that up to speed on what is known about the story but from that trailer it seems like it's a sort of X-Menish Mutants sort of situation which is interesting.

Great stuff, can't wait. Song wasn't too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #585  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Oh, and I have to say that Fang is probably one of the hottest Final Fantasy characters ever if you ask me. This picture is currently gracing my desktop.

Reply With Quote
  #586  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
Oh, and I have to say that Fang is probably one of the hottest Final Fantasy characters ever if you ask me. This picture is currently gracing my desktop.

She was a man, baby!
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Those legs look awfully stubbly to me. Quick, check for a wig and an adam's apple!
Reply With Quote
  #588  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 AM
So i'm playing FF VIII on my pspgo and am now on the 3rd disk and currently doing the Cactar/AP pump up before heading to the islands closest to heaven/hell and it occurred to me just how short the first 2 disks of this game are.

I mean there's a bunch of content and you can technically go do some of the side quests once the Garden gets moving on disk 2 but the game doesn't really open up till the third disk and the 4th is just Ultimecia's castle if i remember correctly.

Seems strange that the play is staggered in such a way. Also does anyone remember where to get Pulse ammo? i'm at a loss lol.
Reply With Quote
  #589  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I can't believe this game is coming out in only a month. It seems like I've been waiting ages to play it...oh wait, that's right. I HAVE.
Reply With Quote
  #590  
Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd3657 View Post
I can't believe this game is coming out in only a month. It seems like I've been waiting ages to play it...oh wait, that's right. I HAVE.
I know, I've never been more psyched for a game! For some reason the month long wait is the hardest part...
Reply With Quote
  #591  
Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I've shown a couple ppl the trailer you posted who have had no contact with the FF series prior and they were blown away.
Reply With Quote
  #592  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Got the newest issue of game informer yesterday from my buddy who works there, and they reviewed FFXIII and gave it a 9.25.
Reply With Quote
  #593  
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 PM
The reviewer of that piece in Game Informer mentioned the story and characters are very underwhelming and possibly the biggest complaint and disappointment of the game. OUCH!! Looks like I'll be skipping this entry.

Anything less than a 9.5 for a Final Fantasy game might as well be a 3.5 for any other game.
Reply With Quote
  #594  
Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Weak/boring/annoying characters has always been the weak point for Final Fantasy though in my opinion. Aside from a few notable exceptions of course.
Reply With Quote
  #595  
Old 02-09-2010, 02:19 PM
True. When it comes to story and characters, I find every Final Fantasy game since VII to be very lacking in those departments.

I also find VII to still be the darkest and most mature Final Fantasy game even to this date, which is one of the reasons it remains my favorite. It was and still is the most profane: it's the only one where characters said "sonofabitch" and "shit".
Reply With Quote
  #596  
Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
True. When it comes to story and characters, I find every Final Fantasy game since VII to be very lacking in those departments.

I also find VII to still be the darkest and most mature Final Fantasy game even to this date, which is one of the reasons it remains my favorite. It was and still is the most profane: it's the only one where characters said "sonofabitch" and "shit".
They swear in VIII but no where near as much, but i would also like to point out that VIII was an intentional deviation from the FF formula from things like changing the armor system to the junction system down to general themes.

In the Wiki entry for VIII they say that the preceding games were all "coming out of the darkness" sort of stories while for VIII they wanted it the world to be a better place that gets accosted by a horrible force that threatens it.

These things among others are what make VIII such a great game. I know it doesn't stand up in popularity to VII but i think a lot of that is contributed to the fact that VII was the first playstation installment so it blew everyone's mind.
Reply With Quote
  #597  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
True. When it comes to story and characters, I find every Final Fantasy game since VII to be very lacking in those departments.
Story, I agree with you. After VII, the plots weren't as deep and were somewhat predictable for the most part. Particularly in XII, which was a blast to play, but had a story that was obvious from the beginning.

Characters, I think you're way off. I found the characters in IX and XII to be very interesting, likeable, and rather unique to the JRPG spectrum.
Reply With Quote
  #598  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Pre ordered XIII on the weekend now it's just the wait till the 9th to go pick it up.

Oh and fuck Microsoft for paying butloads of money to Square to release the games on the same day. I hear the PS3 version has been done for like 2 months now or something.
Reply With Quote
  #599  
Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I hope you fanboys enjoy no towns, no sidequests, weak characters, weak dialogue, and lame villains, because that's pretty much the majority consensus from every review I've read thus far. Looks like I'll be skipping this one. To be honest though, I've kind of grown out of JRPG's and just don't find their silly, ridiculous over-the-top stories and cheery, annoying characters to be compelling anymore.

Western RPGs > JRPGs
Reply With Quote
  #600  
Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
I hope you fanboys enjoy no towns, no sidequests, weak characters, weak dialogue, and lame villains, because that's pretty much the majority consensus from every review I've read thus far. Looks like I'll be skipping this one. To be honest though, I've kind of grown out of JRPG's and just don't find their silly, ridiculous over-the-top stories and cheery, annoying characters to be compelling anymore.
You know, and this has nothing to do with you, i'm getting sick of every FF game getting stuck up beside FF VII and being judged as either better or worse (especially since VII isn't without it's flaws) which is what i've gotten from the few reviews i've read so far.

While i can't confirm any of what you've said here, though i have heard of a very linear storyline, the idea that these days a game released on either the PS3 or Xbox 360 won't be privy to updates and add on content and will be the exact same content from release to a year or two down the road is silly.

Yes you can argue that anything they would add should come in the initial release and i agree to an extent but i'd rather have a game now and download (and yes even pay for) extra content down the road then have it all as one package 6-12 months later.

But in the end it may really be a lack luster installment in the series but i'll reserve that judgment for after i've played it and not worry about how it stacks up to VII. Now that i think of it though it would be nice to have some sort of demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
Western RPGs > JRPGs
These day's pretty much, yeah.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump