Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Mark Hamill says George Lucas ruined my career!

from dailydish

Is Mark bitter? Sounds like he is. Should Mark cast blame on Lucas?

HAMILL: LUCAS RUINED MY CAREER

"Star Wars" actor Mark Hamill has attacked the sci-fi franchise's mastermind George Lucas for ignoring him, describing the director as a "sad" man who "just doesn't get it."

Hamill gained worldwide fame as Luke Skywalker in the original trilogy -- released between 1977 and 1983 -- but while co-stars including Harrison Ford went on to become superstars, he appeared in a string of flops.

And the 52-year-old blames his withering career on Lucas' decision not to cast him in any of his other movies.

Hamill says, "George is very unemotional. He is not someone who says, 'Hey, let's get together and have a barbecue to salute the old talent.' I never hear from any of them.

"I loved all those people, but have not seen them in years. George could have made it happen, if he wanted to."

And Hamill isn't a fan of Lucas' current "Star Wars" prequels either -- of which "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones" have so far been released.

He blasts, "My message to him is, 'Get out more, pal. You are surrounded by an army of sycophants who say that, even when you blow your nose, you are brilliant.'

"How sad is that? It's not as if he's making 'Ten Commandments, Part Two.'

"Everything in his new Star Wars movies seems so important now. Ours were much funnier. I am not speaking out of school here, but he just doesn't get it. He thinks some of this new stuff is funny."
Old 06-21-2004, 09:50 PM

Do you want some cheese with your WHINE , Cock Knocker?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah, really? As much as I hate George Lucas, Mark Hamil is such a winer...

boo-fucking-hoo...maybe you should accept some of the blame. I didn't see Carrie Fisher reach international fame like Ford either...
Old 06-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Harrison Ford pretty became the MOST sucessful. Carrie Fisher acted now and then after Star Wars. She kept herself busy no matter what. She even poked fun of herself in Scream 3.

As for Hamill he should be grateful to Kevin Smith casting him in Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Re: Mark Hamill says George Lucas ruined my career!

Quote:
HAMILL: LUCAS RUINED MY CAREER

And the 52-year-old blames his withering career on Lucas' decision not to cast him in any of his other movies.

Fifty-fucking-two? I think you're about 25 years too late with this rant, Mark.

Last edited by outsyder; 06-21-2004 at 11:00 PM..
Old 06-21-2004, 11:26 PM
LOL

blame your fuckin self for your withering career
Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Re: Re: Mark Hamill says George Lucas ruined my career!

Quote:
Originally posted by outsyder
Fifty-fucking-two? I think you're about 25 years too late with this rant, Mark.
here here!!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Re: Mark Hamill says George Lucas ruined my career!

Quote:
Originally posted by BorderEevilIII
What other movies? Lucas hasn't done anything different since AMERICAN GRAFFITI.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Bullshit! Mark, if anything at all, George Lucas helped you kick off your career in film with Star Wars. Instead of bitching, you should be grateful to Lucas for casting you in the first place. It's your own fault your career was ruined, not anyone else. Stop your whining, it's too damn late for you and your career anyway.

Strider
Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 AM
George Lucas ruined your career? Dont see how that fits. You wouldn't have a career without George, Hamill. You're also one of the most well recognized character on film. People recognize you more than Charlie fuckin' Chaplin. Methinks Hamill has some shutting the fuck up to do.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim H.
Yeah, really? As much as I hate George Lucas, Mark Hamil is such a winer...
Agreed, keep bitching Mr. Hamill. You're a washed up star and it has nothing to do with George Lucas.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:21 AM
What is he complaining about? Corvette Summer wasnt a hit?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:01 AM
I am not a George Lucas fan either but man, what a dipshit Mark is.

Lucas kicked off Mark's film career in the Star Wars Trilogy. Blame you and your fuckin agent for your shitty career not Lucas.

Thats terrible that he said that shit.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Hey Mark, blame your shitty acting and your poor movie choices for ruining your career, not George Lucas.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:15 PM
So, Hamill's career was ruined because Lucas didn't put him in his other flicks? Was Lucas just supposed to provide the training wheels the whole time? I say bullshit. It's not Lucas's fault that you can't get work.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Re: Re: Mark Hamill says George Lucas ruined my career!

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari
What other movies? Lucas hasn't done anything different since AMERICAN GRAFFITI.
Maybe Luke Skywalker's pissed Lucas didn't cast him in the Lucas-produced Howard the Duck
Old 06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Why now? And how does Lucas not throwing barbecues effect Hamill's career?

Maybe he's jockeying for a spot in Indy 4
Old 06-22-2004, 02:50 PM
To tell the truth, I have only enjoyed Mark Hamill in two roles:

Luke Skywalker
&
the voice of The Joker

*Prepares self for attack*

Quote:
And how does Lucas not throwing barbecues effect Hamill's career?
He never said it did. He's just upset that George has never, you know, hung out with him, been friends. George just kinda ignores him.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:19 PM

I'm sorry Luke but if it wasnt for Lucas you wouldnt have any shread of a career.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Reading this I can't help but think this is a complete tabloid work.

Hamill has shown in past interviews that he and George have a healthy friendship and that he doesn't mind being known as Luke Skywalker. He's also shown appreciation for the prequels, saying things like, "George is able to do things with the prequels that he's always wanted to do."

Complete tabloid falcities.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:23 PM
If Hamill made these claims, then I'd say it's very unprofessional and immature (although I agree with a lot of those statements HAHA!).

But then again, I doubt that he really did say these things. He's a very very good voice actor for many games and animated series.
If he hates Lucas so much, and he hates the label of Luke Skywalker, then why would he CHOOSE TO ACCEPT his role in J&SBSB, as well as many other shows (FAMILY GUY is the first to come to mind, as well as THE SIMPSONS)? I would think that he'd be too bitter to poke fun at himself based on these comments.
To top it all off, it's true that he's not done well in the movie business, but do we all know how successful he is on STAGE? With musicals (thus, THE SIMPSONS joke where he's performing in GUYS AND DOLLS. And yes, I thought that was funny) and plays?
He's the shit, yo!

He's parodied himself and the STAR WARS movies numerous times over the years, so I don't think he cares about a bad FILM career.
He's making good money without big movies, I'm sure. I am also sure that he's not poor just by living off of the STAR WARS trilogy alone, so...

I can smell plenty of opportunity for bullshit on this one.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I agree. After thinking about it, he wouldnt have said that. He was just in Maxim (I think) and they were doing a 20 questions type article with him. He had nothing but nice things to say about SW and Lucas. Plus he was dressed up in a school girls outfit so it made the article even funnier.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:50 PM
I think this might be bogus too. I've never seen him trash Lucas at all, just the media who can't accept him as anything besides Luke Skywalker. But if it is true, he shouldn't be biting the hand that fed him. His movie choices after SW were terrible and I know this because I've seen some of them!

Why would he want to be cast in any of the prequels anyway? They didn't get an overall good response from people who saw it, especially the fans and there's not much hope for the new one coming out either.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ComeNightfall

Why would he want to be cast in any of the prequels anyway? They didn't get an overall good response from people who saw it, especially the fans and there's not much hope for the new one coming out either.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only people who bashed the prequels heavily were the net nerds and harsh critics. The majority who have seen the prequels LIKED them.

And like I and others have said, this article is bogus. There's no truth to it at all.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:19 PM
He's kinda hot... Even now... Not that that has anything to do with the subject at hand...
Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 AM
I really like Hamill. I don't think the first Star Wars filmns would've been the same without him- he played the role just right.I saw one of Harrison Ford's earlier films and his acting was just horrible! He wasn't' so great in SW films except he played a great role. His talent developed over the years especially in the Indian Jones movies. Too bad Hamill never got the same chance. He suffered from the Michael J Fox problem and Matthew Brodericks' too- these guys never age! They are perpetual teenagers even in their 40's!
anyway, I've seen him in inteerviews and I've never heard him say anything negative either. He might've had a weak moment though.
And I think the prequels of SW were horrible- they forgot that the first star Wars were built on characterizations- if the audience doen's t care about the characters, the special effects are worth nothing. I can only blame this on Lucas since he had the great acting skills of Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor which were totally wasted!!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Tabloid fodder at best. In every interview he's done (including a recent one for CNN), he has stated that he wants to move past the Skywalker role and take on theater. He seems pretty happy with it, too. Search for him on CNN.com and you will find the article. Lucas is still a schmuck, but evidence points the other way for the Joker.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Let's just call this whole thing the Hamill Death Rattle.

One last gasp for air before his career completely dies. I mean, it HAS been on life-support all these years . . . .
Old 06-24-2004, 12:57 AM
If anything ruined his career it was the car accident he was in that scarred his face.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mentiroso
Plus he was dressed up in a school girls outfit so it made the article even funnier.

WHAT?!

I've gotta see that.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:57 AM
ummmmmmmmmm what Career?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Hopefully this will put an end to this story once and for all.
Admiral Ackbar warns Hamill.."It's a Trap!!"
Old 06-24-2004, 01:14 PM
I figured it was false...back when Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back came out he was on ET saying how he had called up George Lucas for permission to play Cock Knocker so I figured if they were still on speaking terms then, long after Hamil's career went down the drain, he wouldn't be bitter all of a sudden now.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Blame thyself Hamill. Guess that cameo on SLEEPWALKERS didn't help much, did ut?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:29 PM
GUYS THIS WAS BOGUS INFO!

The story was fake, read about it at THEFORCE.NET, they even apologized for posting it before verifying it first.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Bogus?! Ah damn. Nothing better than a bitter actor on a rant. Yes, while it's sad that he didn't win an Oscar for such memerable roles like in Villiage of the Dammed, etc., he should blame himself and his choices, not the friggin guy who gave him a break in the first place, and got him off the friggin Waltons!

What the hell does he expect Lucas to do? Call him every day and send flowers?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:11 PM
..but it doesnt matter, becuase he never siad anything in the first place..
Old 07-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Amusing story but if it's fake, it's closed.
Closed Thread