Old 06-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Synopsis for my horror screenplay

Hey guys. I posted this on the Filmmaking/Screenwriting Board and just wanted to post it here to see what everyone thinks about it story-wise. It's a work on progress, I haven't even come up with the names of the characters yet.

A tabloid news journalist and her new crew take on the task of investigating an early 1900’s era estate, which is considered the oldest estate in the city and the most uninhabited. There have also been legends and ghost stories spawned by locals about the estate. Joining them in their expedition is a 20-something year old man who is the next-of-kin to those who built the house. When the team arrives, they discover that the man who built the house was a scientist driven by Dante’s “Divine Comedy” to create an actual heaven, hell and purgatory – the house was the scientist’s product, dabbling in dark magic and diabolical science. Because the scientist believed he wouldn’t live forever, he created a being in his own image to rule over his model world, named Edgar. A being made of human and animal parts as well as plant-life. Before Edgar could be animated, however, the good doctor died. Now Edgar has awakened due to the overly eager tabloid journalist, and the monster has trapped the group inside the nightmarish house where they must venture through heaven, purgatory and hell while also evading the doctor’s past experiments. Along the way, it is revealed that the cameraman, boom-girl and the next-of-kin aren’t who they appear to be. They are in fact government agents attached to a secret branch that specializes in defense against the paranormal. In heaven, the group risks becoming side-tracked by divulging in their deepest fantasies. In purgatory, the group confronts a garden littered with human remains that still hold their lost souls. In hell, the group finds themselves facing their deepest fears, with a finale in a freezing cold dungeon between the group and Edgar.

I imagine Edgar looking pretty wicked. The first thing that popped into my mind when I tried to come up with a visual was The Incredible Hulk meets Frankenstein. I haven't decided on his outfit yet, but I do know that I want his face to look disgusting and he covers it with an old WW2 gas mask. What do you guys think?
Old 06-26-2004, 07:26 PM
The problem I see is that we have something really innovative and interesting (the heaven hell: groups in heaven become tantalized, while in hell everyone's sidetracked by their lost souls), with total B-grade cheese (paranormal investigators, a mad scientist, and very fact of these things being in a haunted house, and the question of how can a person create everything this scientist did, which is typical of b-grade movies--they need no credible explanation for their happenings).

I'm not sure how you can balance these. After all, take it too much out of this context and we have a bizarre What Dreams May Come knock-off. But good luck.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
and very fact of these things being in a haunted house, and the question of how can a person create everything this scientist did, which is typical of b-grade movies--they need no credible explanation for their happenings).

I'm not sure how you can balance these. After all, take it too much out of this context and we have a bizarre What Dreams May Come knock-off. But good luck.
Well, the house isn't haunted. It's just rumored to be haunted by the locals. I'm trying to come up with a credible explanation concerning how to create an actual heaven, hell, purgatory and all that...but that's where "dark magic" comes in. But I do agree that without any explanation, it becomes somewhat B-grade. But to be honest, that's KINDA what I'm going for.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Oh, I didn't mean a haunted house as in theme-park rides, I just meant that the house was haunted.

Again, if you're going for b-grade, I think half of it still feels really out of place. I guess you could make it more humorous than serious with the heaven/hell foibles . . . but you can also go the route of pyschological if you take care of some of the b-grade moments. I think it'd be really hard to mash everything you had together without making the mood VERY schitzo. But again, good luck, and hey--at least it's unique.

Oh, and about Edgar, a messed up face that he covers with a WW2 gas-mask? Have you seen Hellboy?
Old 06-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Here's a pic of Edgar. Not the best because I suck at drawing and the best I could do was use this program that does this stuff for you. I don't know how to post the pic so if anyone knows how to, feel free to do so everyone doesn't have to download it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edgar.jpg (23.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Bump...
Old 06-28-2004, 06:11 AM
Hi

Since youre doing a B Movie you might as well investigate stuff like that...Try checking out (The Kindred) where as Anthony was an experiment too but he was something octopus like, i loved that movie..now..the drawing you made was o.k but he looked very Cartoony and not so creepy or horrible as the real monster should be.
Try checking out House of a 1000 corpses and see Dr.Satn..he looks creepy..you need a guy like that..he may be strong but he needs to be in some was scary...creepy..twitchy...ugly mother!!!
so keep up the good work!!!!