Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
LOL!

Well, I kind of care about these reports about Brady and Moss for one simple reason: if they're having problems off the field, they'll have problems on the field. This is good news for everyone who hates the Patriots, like myself.

Strider
Well the Pats just lost to Miami. Can't get much more problematic than that.

Last edited by ProgWizardry; 12-08-2009 at 02:10 AM..
Old 12-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgWizardry View Post
Well the Pats just lost to Oakland. Can't get much more problematic than that.
I think you're confusing the Patriots with the Steelers. The Steelers lost to the Raiders, and the Pats lost to the Dolphins.

Strider
Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Quote:
I think you're confusing the Patriots with the Steelers. The Steelers lost to the Raiders, and the Pats lost to the Dolphins.

Strider
Oops. Edited and fixed. I get all of these asshole/sucky teams mixed up.
It still is quite a defeat.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
They call themselves "America's Team"
You're already wrong.

That moniker was invented by a member of the media. And is a result of the size of the Cowboys market - they consistently draw the most viewers on national TV games.

To think that Cowboys fans dont ALSO hate the overblown media coverage is asinine. I think the only person who likes all the pub is Jerry Jones and his wallet.

But again, what each of you have described is a reflection on the media - NOT on the team itself. You have told me, in several variations, that you hate how they are consistently overhyped, overrated and overdiscussed. Understandable - they are.

But I fail to see how what the media does or chooses to cover is the team's fault. As in, the players on the field.

So, tell it to me again.

If you wanna say Tony Romo has a douchy haircut and bad taste in women, ok, thats fine. But telling me five different ways how you hate the media is stupid. And I think you know that.

Yankess, Red Sox, Cowboys, Lakers. They have the biggest markets. Of course they're going to be on TV. Thats not the fault of the 53 who line up their boots on Sundays.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
If you wanna say Tony Romo has a douchy haircut and bad taste in women, ok, thats fine. But telling me five different ways how you hate the media is stupid.
That's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that Tony Romo is a wildly overrated QB who will never be a great, hall-of-fame QB in the NFL. I couldn't care less about his haircut or his taste in women, but a great QB? Please. And I don't hate the sports media, I hate the Cowboys and how the sports media overpraises the Cowboys. The sports media does the same fucking thing with the Patriots. The Cowboys are "America's Team" and the Patriots are "America's Team #2."

Strider
Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 AM
I also think that most Cowboys fans are assholes sort of like Yankee fans are.
Although I think that Steelers fans are worse in this regard.

The Steelers take themselves so seriously that they don't even wish to have cheerleaders.

Please.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Quote:
And did I mention the fact that the Cowboys are known as "America's team"? I can't even begin to tell you how sick that makes me.
That moniker didn't even exist before the Aikman/Smith/Irvin dynasty, did it? Talk about a few successful seasons going a long way.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 AM
The name dates back to 1978. Bob Ryan, now Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys while preparing and editing the teamís 1978 season highlight film. The film opened with this narration:

"They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team."

Ryan explained his reasoning for the name: "I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television."

The name first started becoming a real well-known moniker in 1979. During the Cowboys' first game of that season, which was nationally televised, "the television announcer for CBS introduced the Cowboys as Americaís Team and the name stuck."

Quotes and info courtesy of Wiki
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 AM
I can see why a lot of people hate the Cowboys. There's a natural tendency to hate the most popular, especially if said popularity is seemingly unwarranted. Perhaps "undeserved praise" isn't exactly the right term, but they're certainly the most covered and reported team in the NFL, and that could easily be argued as undeserved, since they haven't won a playoff game since what... 1996? 1997?

Granted, the Dallas Cowboys franchise is one of the most successful in NFL history, but the incessant hype surrounding them never seems to end, even when they're not doing too well, which I think rubs a lot of people the wrong way. For pretty much every other team, hype/coverage seem to correlate with a team's success... the better they do, the more they're reported on; but that's not the case with the 'Boys; they're always making headlines, even in down years.

Growing up in Dallas during the 90s and having fond memories of seeing the Cowboys at their best, I can't help but root for them. But, I can definitely see how one can come to detest the team, and I think it's justified.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Quote:
I also think that most Cowboys fans are assholes sort of like Yankee fans are.
Although I think that Steelers fans are worse in this regard

I don't know where this comes from, though. I guess since the Cowboys are the most visible, their fans are, too... so you'd have more opportunities to see assholes who happen to be Cowboys fans, but there's no way that Cowboys fans, as a whole, are among the worst. Hello, Philadelphia? They booed Santa Clause, and cheered when Michael Irvin broke his neck.

And was it Broncos fans that threw snowballs with batteries in them at opposing players?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicochetShaw View Post
I don't know where this comes from, though. I guess since the Cowboys are the most visible, their fans are, too... so you'd have more opportunities to see assholes who happen to be Cowboys fans, but there's no way that Cowboys fans, as a whole, are among the worst. Hello, Philadelphia? They booed Santa Clause, and cheered when Michael Irvin broke his neck.

And was it Broncos fans that threw snowballs with batteries in them at opposing players?
It's not that REAL Cowboys fans are assholes. It's that you run into so many "Cowboy Fans" all over America who like throwing their weight around the same way you run into annoying asshole dipshit Yankee fans everywhere.
Maybe they are not "America's Team" but they are "America's Brand".
Like Old Navy or some shit.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Quote:

Philly fans are by far the worst.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Quote:
It's not that REAL Cowboys fans are assholes. It's that you run into so many "Cowboy Fans" all over America who like throwing their weight around the same way you run into annoying asshole dipshit Yankee fans everywhere.
This is true. There's plenty of those kind of Cowboys "fans" in SoCal, and they're terribly obnoxious and, as you put it, assholes. I run into them often.

Strider
Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Quote:
That's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that Tony Romo is a wildly overrated QB who will never be a great, hall-of-fame QB in the NFL. I couldn't care less about his haircut or his taste in women, but a great QB? Please. And I don't hate the sports media, I hate the Cowboys and how the sports media overpraises the Cowboys. The sports media does the same fucking thing with the Patriots. The Cowboys are "America's Team" and the Patriots are "America's Team #2."

Strider
Which is exactly what I have been saying for years.

I'm also starting to hate the Patriots too thought for the simple reason is I watch their games and they appear to be getting the same officiating calls that Dallas seems to get and anytime you even tap Brady or one of their recievers a penalty happens.

I'm glad they lost hope Miami or NY Jets get the division.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Maybe they are not "America's Team" but they are "America's Brand".
Like Old Navy or some shit.
So you hate cowboys FANS, not the Cowboys THEMSELVES?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Quote:
So you hate cowboys FANS, not the Cowboys THEMSELVES?
I hate Jerry Jones and the whole organization and the city too(you can throw that one in as well).
I hate the Yankees and their fans for being arrogant pricks.

I told you though that the Steelers are worse in this regard and more like Yankee fans than Cowboys fans.

Cowboys are for the "fat-ass-who-goes-to-Wal-Mart" crowd.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok I want to chirp in here.. I hate Jerry Jones and Al Davis. Seriously they can not own a team. Jerry Jones in particular I really can't stand. His attitude, his demeanor his whole "my team deserves a super bowl because we're the fucking cowboys"..please..when you guys actually win games in december and Romo quits dating celebs and actually posts decent numbers then maybe you guys will..Also I really hate the new cowboys stadium and I think the new jumbotron 4000 should be taken down. No need for it and it interferes with kickoffs.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankaiZaraki View Post
Ok I want to chirp in here.. I hate Jerry Jones and Al Davis. Seriously they can not own a team. Jerry Jones in particular I really can't stand. His attitude, his demeanor his whole "my team deserves a super bowl because we're the fucking cowboys"..please..when you guys actually win games in december and Romo quits dating celebs and actually posts decent numbers then maybe you guys will..Also I really hate the new cowboys stadium and I think the new jumbotron 4000 should be taken down. No need for it and it interferes with kickoffs.
Well, Romo has put up more than "decent" numbers. At one point, he was 2nd on the All-Time QB-Rating, above all current players, and hes on pace for 4,000 yards again.

Kerry Collins puts up decent numbers- Romo puts up GREAT numbers.

Second, Jerry Jones owns the most profitable sports franchise in all the world. I think he's doing a pretty good job in that area. As a GM however, he's not so good. Everyone in Dallas wants him to hire a REAL GM, but he has said repeatedly he wont do that.

Third, Only one person has hit that jumbotron, and its obvious he was trying to. No one else has come close.

How can you "hate" that stadium?? I'm almost positive you've never been there. I think, again, you just have negative feelings for it because of the hype.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Is Jones still paying Parcells? He should be. Parcells is the only reason that team is competitive right now.

And Al Davis, holy shit. I have a friend that works with someone, this guys cousin is a safety for the Raiders. And I've heard some stories. Apparently they don't even have direct deposit set up. The players have to go in every Monday to pick up their checks. During the draft, Davis sent this guy tape of Crabtree and Heyward-Bey and asked him who he should draft. Davis later said about Heyward-Bey "you can't pass up speed like that."

Heyward-Bey's line this year. 9rec/124yds/13.8avg/1TD
Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Well, Romo has put up more than "decent" numbers. At one point, he was 2nd on the All-Time QB-Rating, above all current players, and hes on pace for 4,000 yards again.

Kerry Collins puts up decent numbers- Romo puts up GREAT numbers.

How can you "hate" that stadium?? I'm almost positive you've never been there. I think, again, you just have negative feelings for it because of the hype.
I really am not a fan of stadiums that have this or that and cost 1 billion dollars to build..Seriously, that 1 billion dollars couldve gone to helping the economy get back on track but thats another story..100 million should get you a new stadium with everything you need. And yes Ive never been to the stadium and I really dont want to go there. Cool and all bout QB rating and 4000 yards and all but hes really not a good leader on the field. How many 4th quarter comebacks does he have in his career? He's always tanked in the playoffs, puts on horrible numbers in the month of December (dont know how that is even possible)..I dont know man..Just not a fan of the Cowboys..Then again im not a fan of the Steelers and the Eagles..
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
Is Jones still paying Parcells? He should be. Parcells is the only reason that team is competitive right now.

And Al Davis, holy shit. I have a friend that works with someone, this guys cousin is a safety for the Raiders. And I've heard some stories. Apparently they don't even have direct deposit set up. The players have to go in every Monday to pick up their checks. During the draft, Davis sent this guy tape of Crabtree and Heyward-Bey and asked him who he should draft. Davis later said about Heyward-Bey "you can't pass up speed like that."

Heyward-Bey's line this year. 9rec/124yds/13.8avg/1TD
And this is why Al Davis needs to step down.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM
wow. Pitt got owned by Cleveland.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Hahahahaha. They are finished.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Quote:
I really am not a fan of stadiums that have this or that and cost 1 billion dollars to build..Seriously, that 1 billion dollars couldve gone to helping the economy get back on track but thats another story..100 million should get you a new stadium with everything you need. And yes Ive never been to the stadium and I really dont want to go there. Cool and all bout QB rating and 4000 yards and all but hes really not a good leader on the field. How many 4th quarter comebacks does he have in his career? He's always tanked in the playoffs, puts on horrible numbers in the month of December (dont know how that is even possible)..I dont know man..Just not a fan of the Cowboys..Then again im not a fan of the Steelers and the Eagles..

Well I know the number is high, but I cant find the stat. Did find this though.

"Ben Roethlisberger has the highest percentage of come-from-behind-wins, followed in order by Johnny Unitas, Philip Rivers, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo and Dan Marino."

So take that how you will.

I just know theres a lot that the media says about Romo and the Cowboys that has become standard knowledge, and if you look at the facts, most of that is untrue.

And 100 million will never buy you a stadium. That Death Star, er, Stadium hosts concerts, nba all star games, BCS bowl games and maybe even boxing matches. Not many venues in the world can say that.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:40 AM
wow....Cleveland shut down Pittsburgh. Didn't think that would happen. That division is Cincinnati's now.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Quote:
I really am not a fan of stadiums that have this or that and cost 1 billion dollars to build....100 million should get you a new stadium with everything you need. .

Do you know the last time an NFL stadium was built for $100 million or less? 1982. The Metrodome, where the Vikings play, was completed that year for a cost of $68 million. Keep in mind, though, that was 27 years ago, and inflation plays a huge part in this equation. After adjusting for inflation, that's $152 million in today's dollars (which is of course how we're measuring the cost of the Cowboys stadium). And, counting for inflation, that's actually the cheapest stadium ever built. So in reality (counting for inflaton), no current NFL stadium was ever built for 100 million or less. In today's world & economy, it's just not realistic to expect anyone to build an NFL stadium for $100 mil or less. $1 billion is quite excessive, I agree, but your benchmark (100 mil) seems a little low.

Quote:
Seriously, that 1 billion dollars couldve gone to helping the economy get back on track but thats another story
But Cowboys Stadium has helped the economy, a great deal. Do you know how many jobs Cowboys stadium created (both in construction, and now in retail)? How much it's boosted the economy of Arlington and the DFW metroplex? How much revenue it's brought to a major corporation (the Dallas Cowboys... and the NFL as a whole, actually)? I could go on and on. I also think the money could have gone to much better causes - like feeding the hungry.... but saying the money could've been used to help boost the American economy? That's just a completely invalid criticism, because that's exactly what it's doing.

Last edited by RicochetShaw; 12-11-2009 at 04:10 AM..
Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
It's official...

There will be BRAND NEW Super Bowl champions this season.

The defending champions, Pittsburgh Steelers, won't have the chance to defend their Super Bowl XLIII title in the post-season. They are finished...they are done...and they are totally screwed.

I love how your team is "unleashing Hell," Mike Tomlin. Hopefully, this unsuccessful season will teach you to never make idiotic comments (Tomlin could've just said the following: "We're in a tough situation right now, and we need to play to the best of our ability and start winning games in the coming weeks, because if we don't, we won't make the Playoffs.") and empty, bullshit promises like that again.

Anyway...

This was a BIG win for the Cleveland Browns. But here's a question: was the win big enough to save Eric Mangini's head coaching job?

Strider
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Caught the Highlight this afternoon, couldn't watch the game as I had a job interview today and it's on too late. Steelers were once again shit, any chance of a play-off position have been totaly demolished after that game. Cleveland were pretty good.

Though, I don't know how one of cleveland's touch downs (from the rookie, sorry no name) was given, he CLEARLY went out with the ball before it crossed the line. Must of had a gorilla in the video ref box.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Quote:

This was a BIG win for the Cleveland Browns. But here's a question: was the win big enough to save Eric Mangini's head coaching job?

Strider
I hope not. Mangini is an awful coach and he needs to be fired.

I honestly don't know how he got a job as head coach again. But I don't really care in the end.... not like I'm a browns fan or anything.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
I hope not. Mangini is an awful coach and he needs to be fired.
He beat the Steelers in prime time and ended like a 12 game losing streak against their hated rivals. Plus, his defense has been playing very well these last few weeks despite a slew of injuries, aside from the Lions game. There's a zero percent chance he gets fired.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Well I know the number is high, but I cant find the stat. Did find this though.

"Ben Roethlisberger has the highest percentage of come-from-behind-wins, followed in order by Johnny Unitas, Philip Rivers, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo and Dan Marino."

Too bad he couldnt help his team last night lol
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Do you know the last time an NFL stadium was built for $100 million or less? 1982. The Metrodome, where the Vikings play, was completed that year for a cost of $68 million. Keep in mind, though, that was 27 years ago, and inflation plays a huge part in this equation. After adjusting for inflation, that's $152 million in today's dollars (which is of course how we're measuring the cost of the Cowboys stadium). And, counting for inflation, that's actually the cheapest stadium ever built. So in reality (counting for inflaton), no current NFL stadium was ever built for 100 million or less. In today's world & economy, it's just not realistic to expect anyone to build an NFL stadium for $100 mil or less. $1 billion is quite excessive, I agree, but your benchmark (100 mil) seems a little low.

But Cowboys Stadium has helped the economy, a great deal. Do you know how many jobs Cowboys stadium created (both in construction, and now in retail)? How much it's boosted the economy of Arlington and the DFW metroplex? How much revenue it's brought to a major corporation (the Dallas Cowboys... and the NFL as a whole, actually)? I could go on and on. I also think the money could have gone to much better causes - like feeding the hungry.... but saying the money could've been used to help boost the American economy? That's just a completely invalid criticism, because that's exactly what it's doing.

Maybe my 100 mill is a little low..but maybe thats because 100 mill is a lot of money to me lol...you do make a good point on how the new stadium has created new jobs and IF I were in Arlington or the surrounding area I'd probably get a job there..
Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
He beat the Steelers in prime time and ended like a 12 game losing streak against their hated rivals. Plus, his defense has been playing very well these last few weeks despite a slew of injuries, aside from the Lions game. There's a zero percent chance he gets fired.
But, thier offense has been playing god awful all season, except for the Lions game. He also drove their two best receivers out of town (Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow) and installed a bunch of nobodies from the Jets. I can see him not getting fired but wouldn't be shocked if he did.

I will say he's been showing more emotion since joining the Browns. He's been a stiff in all his seasons with the Jets and he's been pissed off in just about every game this season.

I would also like to thank him for helping out the Jets with thier slim playoff hopes. The Jets winning out to win the division and the Patriots collapsing would be the greatest thing ever.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRay View Post
He also drove their two best receivers out of town (Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow)
I'll give you Kellen Winslow, but aside from the 2007 season, Braylon Edwards played like shit in Cleveland. He didn't earn the nickname "brick hands" for nothing. The man couldn't grasp a ball to save his life in Cleveland, but all the sudden was able to hold onto the ball in New York.

While the Browns still have a lot to work on, I say Mangini gets at least one more year. He was able to keep it close with the improved Cincinnati Bengals on one occasion, as well as the near win in Detroit and the near comeback against San Diego. What just happened in Pittsburgh could only further help his job at this point.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
The Patriots mascot was arrested in a prostitution ring.

I can only hope he was in costume.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRay View Post
But, thier offense has been playing god awful all season, except for the Lions game. He also drove their two best receivers out of town (Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow) and installed a bunch of nobodies from the Jets. I can see him not getting fired but wouldn't be shocked if he did.

I will say he's been showing more emotion since joining the Browns. He's been a stiff in all his seasons with the Jets and he's been pissed off in just about every game this season.

I would also like to thank him for helping out the Jets with thier slim playoff hopes. The Jets winning out to win the division and the Patriots collapsing would be the greatest thing ever.
I personally feel that Pitt win was a career-saver, at least temporarily. He'll get another year to work with that offense (get James Davis back, maybe draft Dez Bryant?) because right now, it doesn't matter who their coach is... they have no talent, as you said. I wonder how much of that is on Mangini, and how much of it was orders from above which he won't be held accountable for (Braylon was all Mangini, but I'm not sure about Winslow).
Old 12-14-2009, 02:25 AM
I don't think one win constitutes saving a career personally, even if it is against a rival and/or the defending Super Bowl champions. I doubt it if Mangini will get fired this year, but mark my words if he doesn't produce a winning season next year he can forget about being a head coach in the NFL.

On a sidenote, go Packers! Despite their shitty kicker, I have high hopes about their chances of making a deep playoff run. As much as it would make me nervous, I would love to play the Vikings again in the playoffs. It's tough being a Packers fan and living in the Twin Cities...espicially since all of my friends (save one, and my sister) are Vikings fans. But I would love nothing more than to beat them in the playoffs. I don't mind having confidence in teams, but all I've been hearing from everybody all year in the cities since they signed Favre is "We're gonna win the superbowl for sure!" Like I said, it's good to be optimistic, but I hate it when I hear people make claims like that. I'd be much more tolerant of "Man, we have a good chance to make the Superbowl this year!" which I would have agreed with even before the season actually started. To be fair though, my good friends don't really talk like that, although my roommate has already claimed that a Saints-Vikings NFC Championship game is deadlocked. Those are the sort of statements I have to shake my head at.

I'd also like to thank Philly and San Diego for winning today and putting Green Bay atop the wild card race in the NFC North with a 1 game lead.

Last edited by smok3h; 12-14-2009 at 02:35 AM..
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Is it my imagination, or is the NFL just getting weirder every year? Couple of years ago, the Pats went through the season undefeated. Now, with two teams threatening to do the same, it's beginning to make me think that there are a few elite teams in the NFL, and mostly bad teams making up the rest. Teams like the Pats, Cowboys, Giants and Steelers are wildly inconsistent this year as well. I guess the Saints are the story of the years, but I have to say that if they beat a team with a great record, I would be more impressed. Most of their season has been played against mediocrities.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 PM
The NFL will not let the Saints lose. That bullshit PI call against ATL when it should have been a pick made me lose all hope in football. Saints will go undefeated and make to the superbowl only because they will play at home during the playoffs. Colts and Saints in the superbowl- both teams undefeated. Wow NFL, next year try to make it fair. 1 step closer to wrestling.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Quote:
I can see why a lot of people hate the Cowboys. There's a natural tendency to hate the most popular, especially if said popularity is seemingly unwarranted.
It's the same reason people hate the Yankees, Lakers, and Red Wings in their respective leagues: nobody likes a Glory Hog.