Old 01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strider
the Colts defense needs to put serious pressure on Tom Brady, and force him to screw up. Brady isn't perfect, and he could make huge, yet shocking mistakes. But in order for that to become reality, the Colts defense needs to be tough, relentless, and unmerciful.
Question...

Since when have the Colts D ever been "tough, relentless, and unmerciful"???

It certainly wont start on Sunday.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
Question...

Welcome back, Haddonfield! I wondered when you'd show up.

Did you get the opportunity to see the Colts annihilate the Broncos on Sunday? This is very similar to the scenario that Strider refers to here. Jake Plummer, himself a great Quarterback (even if he is a bit of a jerk) spent a good portion of Sunday wondering how the Colts' defense could be so good. 49 to 24 may not translate to a Pats defeat, but consider this: The Broncos and the Patriots share a lot of similarities right now, with the exception of the mighty Coach Bellichick. (SP?) The primary difference between the Colts and the Pats is the scheme...something the Colts have almost figured out. This is the third meeting between the teams in 12 months. In their first playoff meeting in 2004, the Pats picked apart Manning. In their second meeting in week 1 of the regular season, the Colts pulled within three points of victory and held there. And that was when the entire Patriots team was active and healthy. Now there are many injured players. This means less pressure on Peyton Manning, and more pressure on Tom Brady. Since the beginning of the year, the Colts have lost a total of four times. Once to the Chiefs (Number one offense, meet number two!) Once to the Pats (healthy and stronger than ever), once to the Jaguars (whom they had beaten in week 4) and once to the Broncos (whom they rested their starters on in week 16 and then eliminated from contention). The teams that beat them had good starters, few injuries, and an adjustable scheme. Now the Pats have many injuries, especially to that incredible defense. This means Manning will have the opportunity to utilize all of his receiving weapons, leaving the Patriots offense in the unenviable position of playing catchup with Manning. This is an opportunity for the Colts' defense to shine as they have on many occassions this season and to pressure the Patriots into some mistakes. I'm not saying the Patriots will go down easy, but it can be done.

Last edited by jeo4; 01-12-2005 at 11:23 PM..
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Question...

Well, if the Colts want to win the game, their defense must be all of those things on Sunday. And I think it's going to happen. As Jeo said, it's going to be a battle, and it's going to take a lot for the defending champions to fall, but the Colts can win. It's not impossible.

Strider
Old 01-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Well back to Randy Moss apparently he was fined $10,000 for pretending to moon Packers fans on Sunday.

Just beat the fucking Eagles on Sunday that's all I care about.

New England is going to be tough to beat Indy they are pretty beat up on the secondary and Ty Law who has always had good games against the Colts isn't there and eventually the injuries will catch up to them it catches up to everyone.

New England is a good team and can still beat New England but without Ty Law that will be tough that Indy offense is much better than last year.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:02 PM
funny what the patriots did yesterday.. it was raining and sleeting all day, but they still didn't cover their field... pretty smart thinking there, they need any edge they can get..

as for the game.. I don't think the injuries to the pats will be the only deciding factor, it'll also be Indy's defense making big plays down the stretch..

as for the other games... I think rams/falcons will be a very offensive and exciting game.. the key will be the falcons d-line (best in the league), they MUST put consistent pressure on bulger.. steelers/jets will be interesting because the jets matchup pretty good against them the key will be pennington and his receivers, they have to make some big plays to have a chance... and as for vikings/eagles, minnesota has no chance of winning this game.. the eagles will shut them down because Moss is still hobbling and their secondary is awesome.. and mcnabb and westbrook will have their way with that weak vikings defense..

can't wait for divisional playoff weekend.. at this point my superbowl prediction is Indy against Philly.. I still think Manning will make his season complete with a superbowl victory.. 49 TDs during the season is very impressive and all, but going into NE and Pittsburgh (both 8-0 at home) and winning would be much more impressive.

Last edited by chiefxcel; 01-13-2005 at 04:04 PM..
Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chiefxcel
funny what the patriots did yesterday.. it was raining and sleeting all day, but they still didn't cover their field... pretty smart thinking there, they need any edge they can get..

as for the game.. I don't think the injuries to the pats will be the only deciding factor, it'll also be Indy's defense making big plays down the stretch..
This tells me that New England isn't ready to deal with the Colts. And Bills answer?

"My job is not to pull weeds. I have a lot of other things to do. Or rake the field and all of that. I'm sure that will all be taken care of."

Uh-huh.

I hope the Colts thump them, now.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:01 PM
we may have one of the sloppiest games ever..not only should the field be muddy and slippery, but the temperature's going to be around -5 to -15 for the game, and there's a slight chance of flurries... awesome games in store for tomorrow, go pittsburgh and go atlanta

Last edited by chiefxcel; 01-14-2005 at 04:09 PM..
Old 01-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeo4
Welcome back, Haddonfield! I wondered when you'd show up.
Thanks...new job and no more surfing the web instead of doing any work!!! What a shame!!

Old 01-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Quote:
This tells me that New England isn't ready to deal with the Colts. And Bills answer?

"My job is not to pull weeds. I have a lot of other things to do. Or rake the field and all of that. I'm sure that will all be taken care of."

Uh-huh.

I hope the Colts thump them, now.

Its called Home Field Advantage.

Forget about who is hurt and not playing for New England...they were once what 70 point underdogs to the Rams not that long ago. These Colts are the best CFL team around and its going to be fun watching them play some real football. And lets not forget that this whole 5 yard rule inforcement is all because them Colts were upset that them Pats were being to physical with them this time last year...Its easy to run your routs and play your head games in a dome on turf, it isnt so easy to line up in front of the best team in the game, outside on a frozen field, staring down the barrel of the World Champs...oh yeah, they are the World Champs right?

Old 01-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Until they get to Pittsburgh anyway.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I didn't post my playoff predictions last week, but I was honestly a pretty solid 3-1 correctly choosing the Colts, Jets, and Rams to win. The Packers kept me from being perfect, but I still take pride in picking the Jets when everyone overlooked them. That said, I'll go on the record with my picks this week:

St. Louis at Atlanta: Who cares what happened the first time? Doesn't matter now in the slightest. The problem for the Rams is their defense. They play a man defense, which means their defensive backs i.e. the only people quick enough to catch Vick have their eyes on the receiver their covering, and turned away from Vick. Not a good thing. If they try to watch Vick though, he'll beat them deep. My guess is the Rams are going to switch up to a zone this week, and hope it turns into a shootout. I think the Rams come in with a certain swagger, and a whole hell of a lot of confidence. Besides that, nothing the Falcons can do will take the Rams out of their gameplan. It doesn't matter if they're winning, or losing, the Rams like to go downfield. Theirs something about the way Rams are acting that tells me they're going to pull off another win on the road, even though the Falcons are the better team

PREDICTION: RAMS

Minnesota at Philadelphia: The Eagles are still playing? It seems like we haven't seen them in awhile. Maybe that's because we haven't with Andy Reid resting all of his starters for so long. In my opinion, champions play to win. The defending champion Patriots didn't rest all of their players even though they had their playoff spot and seed all locked up. But back to the game. If anyone in the NFC can beat the Eagles, it's the Vikings. In week 2, the Vikings lost that game, the Eagles did not win it. Culpepper fumbled twice at the goal line, and Owens dropped a ball in the endzone that was called a touchdown. The Vikings have Culpepper, and he alone gives them a chance this weekend. The defense of the Vikings is more than a little questionable. As I said, if anyone in the NFC can beat the Eagles, it's the Vikings. Unfortunately, they won't.

PREDICTION: EAGLES

NY Jets at Pittsburg: Last week, everyone thought the Indianapolis/Denver game was the easy call of the week. And everyone was right. Well, I see this one as the easy call of the week. Yeah, I know the Jets played the Steelers real tough when they met earlier this year. But the Steelers are not going to lose this game. All they have to do is follow the same gameplan they've used all year. Run it down your throat, pass the ball sparsely and efficently, and play solid defense. Sounds sort of cliche in a way, but hey, it's what they do. But how can the Jets win? Most people think the Jets should come out and control the clock with Martin like they did the first time. Keep the score low and close. Hope Big Ben can't beat you in the end. Well, guess what? Big Ben can beat you in the end. He's done it every time he was called upon to do so this season, most notably against Jacksonville when he led the game winning TD drive. That being said, I think the Jets should use the run to open up the passes down field. I think the Jets need to strike quick in this one. Make the Steelers play from behind. They haven't had to do that much this season. That's the Jets only chance, and I don't see it happening.

PREDICTION: Steelers

Indianaplois at New England: Can't say much that hasn't been said already said about this game. It's the marquee matchup of the week, and thanks to the New England ground crew, the field should be a mess. Manning's numbers were great this season. He has a myriad of weapons he can use. The Patriots secondary is all beat to hell. We've heard it all already. Theirs a lot of reasons the Colts could win this game, but no one in their right mind would pick them to win. For example, the Buffalo Bills could go 16-0 next season and make it to the Super Bowl winning every game by 20 or more points. And I'm still not picking them to win the Super Bowl. Same thing applies here. Belichick will come ready, we all know this. And somehow, some way, the Patriots will keep the longest home winning streak in tact. Think about it like this. If the Pats whole team was healthy, no one would be picking the Colts. And yet, with this banged up secondary, they've still only lost one game. That includes victories over the Ravens, Bills, Jets, Bengals, and Rams, all viable playoff contenders. Their only loss was to the Dolphins, and that was more in part due to Brady's 4 INTs than it was to the secondary giving up big plays. The Patriots and The Steelers in 9 days for the AFC Championship. Mark it on your calendars. It's going to be one for the ages.

PREDICTION: Patriots
Old 01-15-2005, 06:56 AM
divisional playoffs begin... hopefully we get atleast one close game today..

Last edited by chiefxcel; 01-15-2005 at 06:59 AM..
Old 01-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Until they get to Pittsburgh anyway.

Its possible, Pitts, NE, and Indy are the three best teams in the game so lets throw them all on the dice and see who rolls snake eyes...this is going to be fun!

And uh, um...go Jets
Old 01-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Quote:
And uh, um...go Jets
GO STEELERS!!!!

If the Patriots defeat the Colts on Sunday, I want them to head off to Pittsburgh, to see Ben Roethlisberger and company defeat them again.

And I think the Rams-Falcons game could be today's thriller, but then again, so could the Jets-Steelers matchup. Maybe both. Not much longer until we all find out. Can't wait.

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 01-15-2005 at 10:02 AM..
Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Last minute picks...

Steelers over Jets - Pennington admits he can't make 100% of his throws, so he will be limited. Old Man Martin will have to get it done, but I see the revamped Curtain shutting him down. Steelers are a better overall team, but Ganggreen is growing.

Falcons over Rams - The Rams are not a consistently good team, especially when looking at their 8-8 regular season record. They will flop here in the turnover margin in a high scoring game.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Wow, Doug Brien REALLY blew it, twice.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Doug Brien = Nate Kaeding

Whatever Kaeding went through (and is still probably going through) after that Chargers-Jets game, has now happened to Brien of the Jets. The Steelers defeated the Jets the same way the Jets defeated the Chargers - a devastating mistake by the kicker.

Anyway, fantastic game. It had me pumped throughout. The Jets gave the Steelers a really, really tough fight. All the props in the world to Herm Edwards, Pennington, Moss, Martin, etc. They have nothing to be ashamed of. Best game of this year's postseason, thus far.

Strider
Old 01-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Wow, you know you in the twilight zone when all these damn New York teams start chocking!!!

Damn you J-E-T-S

At least it shows that Pitts can and will be beat.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:56 PM
man what a first game, the jets had it but it's pretty hard to hit field goals on heinz field, but still, he should've had the second one... roethlisburger had a rough game as I expected but give credit to the Jets defense because they have the 2nd best defense in the AFC.. pittsburgh showed that they can be beat, you just have to contain their running and force the rookie to beat you.. big ben's going to have to step up next week and have a good game, he can't get away with another bad game against a team like Indy or New England..

as for the second game, atlanta totally demolished st. louis.. their running game, kick returning, and d-line are just amazing..this team can definitely win the NFC, and even give the AFC winner some fits..

and even better day of football in store for us tomorrow.. go pats, and go vikes!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:28 PM
The Falcons slaughtered the Rams tonight. It was never really close at any time in the game. I actually thought there was a possibility of this game going either way. However, that didn't happen, not even close. The Rams were totally incapable of stopping Michael Vick and the running game, both of which looked awesome on the field. The winner of the Eagles-Vikings match better beware of the Falcons. It's either going to be Culpepper vs. Vick or McNabb vs. Vick in the NFC championship - each one sounds like it'll make for a great game.

Looking forward to tomorrow's games, but the Patriots-Colts game will be the main event, and to that I say.....

GO COLTS!!!!!!

Strider
Old 01-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Can we puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease now dismiss this "The Falcons are all Vick" nonsense?

Look, I adore Michael Vick and have since his first game as a freshman, he's easily my favorite NFL player, but that team has an excellent staff, a smart, talented defense, and two exceptional running backs, especially the gutty little Warrick Dunn. This is a superb team, one of the best in the NFC.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:36 AM
Everyone has gotta remember though that the Eagles have one of the best run defenses in the league and I'm sure Andy Reid can come up with some scheme to shut down Vick.

Peace,
Matt
Old 01-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Can we puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease now dismiss this "The Falcons are all Vick" nonsense?

Look, I adore Michael Vick and have since his first game as a freshman, he's easily my favorite NFL player, but that team has an excellent staff, a smart, talented defense, and two exceptional running backs, especially the gutty little Warrick Dunn. This is a superb team, one of the best in the NFC.
I can dismiss it altogether. Mike Vick is the most overrated player in the history of the game. I couldn't even watch the game tonight when Vick was on the field because you couldn't hear what Enberg and Johnston, or whoever were calling the game, were saying. They were too busy with Mike Vick's dick in their mouth. Seriously, they wouldn't shut up about the guy.

Vick is the one player in this game who gets so much credit, and yet, has accomplished absolutely nothing. He's a below average passer and an average running back. Besides, since when did we judge a QB's abilities on how well he could run. I swore that was what running backs were for. Memo to Mike Vick: The quarterback's job is to...oh my God, get this....throw the ball. I know it sounds crazy Mike, but watch all the other guys. See how they pull their arm back with the ball and then heave it forward to a receiver. That's called a forward pass.

I'm sick of all the hype around Vick. People, watch the Colts/Pats game tomorrow to see what real quarterback's do. Guys that get credit, but not nearly as much as Mike Vick. Vick isn't worthy enough to lick the dirt off of Manning or Brady's shoes. I hope the Falcons do make the Super Bowl just so a team like Pitt or NE with their good defense shows the whole world what a fraud this guy is. Oh wait. That's right. That other team with a good defense, the Buccaneers, they already beat the holy hell out of the Falcons. Good luck to the Falcons, nothing against them, really good team. But the media needs to give credit where it's due, and that's not to Vick.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:44 AM
I somewhat agree.. Vick really is overrated, but he's still a dangerous player. I wouldn't want to be a defensive coordinator going up against this guy. How the hell do you stop Atlanta's running game when they have 2 solid RBs AND Michael Vick? If you move most of your men up, Atlanta will find a hole and run right through it for a big gain..or burn you on play actions and bootlegs.. if you don't move enough men up, vick will run for an easy 15-20 yards.. he can't pass worth crap sometimes, but believe me, if he had better receivers he'd have pretty good passing numbers.. he has the WORST wide receiving core in the NFC.. peyton manning would even suck with these guys, they're that damn bad.. he still gets way too much praise though and more praise should be given to other players on the team because they're a very solid all around team..

anyway... should be a great day of football today.. watch out for manning and mcnabb, I think both will have huge days

Last edited by chiefxcel; 01-16-2005 at 04:56 AM..
Old 01-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mack
I can dismiss it altogether.
Well, uh...that wasn't really what I meant.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Just to clarify, I think Vick is one of the better QBs in the NFL.

I was simply trying to spread a little love to Dunn, Duckett, their outstanding defense and the returner Rossum, all of whom (along with Vick), played brilliantly yesterday.

Michael Vick is, in no way, shape, or form, overrated

I'm not going to stay here and argue that point by point, especially with some of the out of control invective that's flying around here now. I'm just looking to be precise in what I meant to write before.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Vick isn't overrated. Look at it this way. Last year 5-11, no playoffs. This year, 11-5, at least NFC Championship game. The guy is there leader. Everyone is afraid of him and he is the first thing every team that is going to face the Falcons looks at. He has a killer(not the most accuracy) arm, and can break any game wide open. He's important to his team, and without him, the Falcons wouldn't be in the playoffs. No matter how much credit you give to Dunn, Duckett, Rossum, they're defense, or anything of that matter. Vick still is very much the heart of this team.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
Vick isn't overrated. Look at it this way. Last year 5-11, no playoffs. This year, 11-5, at least NFC Championship game. The guy is there leader. Everyone is afraid of him and he is the first thing every team that is going to face the Falcons looks at. He has a killer(not the most accuracy) arm, and can break any game wide open. He's important to his team, and without him, the Falcons wouldn't be in the playoffs. No matter how much credit you give to Dunn, Duckett, Rossum, they're defense, or anything of that matter. Vick still is very much the heart of this team.
No one is disputing that he is the Falcon's most valuable player. But the people in the media believe he is the best QB in the league, which makes him highly overrated. He's not even in the top 5 I'm sorry to say. The media has talked all year about what a bad year Aaron Brooks had, but statistically, he blew Vick away throwing the ball. People never look at Vick's passing stats and talk about how great he is. They talk about his rushing stats when talking about his greatness, and that is not something a QB should be judged on. He is a selfish player who looks to run first. Last night, you couldn't have counted to two mississippi last night before Vick was tucking it away and running. And tell me this, why does this guy get 6 years to be a good QB when everyone else gets 3? They kept talking about Vick's struggles being due to the new system in place in Atlanta. Well, Big Ben over in Pittsburg was in a whole new system this year, and he didn't seem to have any problems running an offense. But seeing as mobile quaterbacks are so much better than pocket passers according to the media, let's take a look back at the last few Super Bowls.

Tom Brady (Pocket) vs. Jake Delhomme (Pocket)

Brad Johnson (Pocket) vs. Rich Gannon (Pocket)

Tom Brady (Pocket) vs. Kurt Warner (Pocket)

Trent Dilfer (Pocket) vs. Kerry Collins (Pocket)

Kurt Warner (Pocket) defeats Steve McNair (Scrambler)

John Elway (Pocket) vs. Chris Chandler (Pocket)

John Elway (Pocket) vs. Brett Favre (Pocket)

Brett Favre (Pocket) vs. Drew Bledsoe (Pocket)

Troy Aikman (Pocket) vs. Jim Kelly (Pocket) - This happened twice

Troy Aikman (Pocket) vs. Neil O'Donnell (Pocket)

Mark Rypien (Pocket) vs. Jim Kelly (Pocket)

Sensing a trend here. Doesn't look like too many mobile QBs have been playing, nevermind winning the Super Bowl in the last decade or so.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM

We lost, and it feels good to say big fucking deal. Even though todays game was pretty lack-luster, at least we faced the packers for the first time in the playoffs and beat them. Not one single football expert (really couldnt find a better word) backed us and we still won....by a large margin as well. So....since i've got no more business being in this thread anymore, I just wanna say thanks for putting up with my bullshit and GO FALCONS!

sincerely,
Chilli Pepper
Old 01-16-2005, 07:27 PM
so much for the great peyton manning!!! the best offense ever, just got dominated by new england's so called "vulnerable" defense... take that MVP award away from manning and give it to brady..
Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
I haven't been on here recently, so I didn't get a chance to make my Playoff picks. I said the Pats all the way! My NFC and AFC championship picks are...

Atlanta over Philadelphia - yeah, Mcnabb proved today that he can still be effective without TO, but their defense won't be able to handle Vick. He's just too fast.

New England over Pittsburg - Yeah, they handed our asses to us when we last played them, but Dillion wasn't playing that game. Also, the Steelers look a lot less intimidating after watching them struggle with the Jets yesterday. It should be a good game.

SUPERBOWL 39 - New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons
Old 01-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Another 3-1 week for me with the Rams being the only team letting me down. I just thought I'd go on a limb with them although in my defense, I did say when making that prediction I thought the Falcons were the better team.

But onto this weekend's game. Very impressive victory by the Patriots. I didn't think that one was going to be such a "blowout." It really wasn't a blowout per say, but then again, it pretty much was.

The AFC and NFC championships are going to be two really great games. It's 1 vs. 2 and 1 vs. 2. We can't ask for anything more. I won't make any predictions just yet, but I've got to say I'm looking forward to those two games a whole lot.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:56 PM
So much for my prediction that the Colts would win today. What a unbelievably embarrassing loss. A field goal, a fucking field goal?! That's it?! The Colts have the MVP Peyton Manning, and all they could get is a fucking field goal?! Sheesh. Watching this game made me sick. I was expecting so much more from Manning and the Colts, I was expecting them to fight, and I was expecting them to win. But just look at what happened. I'll give props to the Pats, they shut them down, and in the process, humiliated them.

Today's games, honestly, had me bored out of my mind. Neither game was particularly exciting at any one point. Best game of this year's divisional weekend was Steelers-Jets. Now it's down to the final four. Patriots vs. Steelers, and Eagles vs. Falcons. I think both are going to be great games.

Strider
Old 01-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Well, it was a great weekend of football, and congrats to the Jets, Colts, Vikings, and Rams on making it to the 2nd round... just weren't good enough to take the next step, and now the elite teams in the NFL are left.. the top 2 seeds in each conference will face off now and we're in for two great games.. prediction time..

Philadelphia over Atlanta - this is going to be a dandy, and both teams are pretty similar and match up pretty well with one another.. I have a feeling McNabb will want it more and will make some big plays late in the game to FINALLY send philly to the superbowl.. unfortunately for them, they'll have to face a juggernaut when they get there.

Pittsburgh over New England - this could be even better than the NFC game, I'm expecting a low scoring field position battle.. both teams have outstanding defenses who can do it all.. and they are clearly the two best all around teams in the NFL.. it's hard to pick a winner in this one but I think home field advantage will be the difference in this one and BIll Cowher will finally get back to the superbowl, and this time he doesn't have to worry about facing a ridiculous Dallas Cowboys team.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:26 AM
A good weekend of football nothing close to the 4 divisional games last year but very good and man Doug O'Brien you had 2 shots to win the game and blew it that's even worse than Keadeing especially the field goal with seconds left that one wasn't even close.

Also so much for the high scoring game between the Falcons and Rams instead it was a blowout I'm starting to like the Falcons a lot now but they only beat the Rams who you have no idea what the hell they are going to be like the Falcons looked great and their defense is solid.

While I'm impressed with New England with their defense I know their defense is great and one of the best in the league but New England's linebackers just killed the Colts in this game and Manning just couldn't get it going and the best way to beat the Colts is to keep Manning off the field there were 3 drives in this game that New England scored on that ate up about 24:00 of time and kept Indy's offense off the field.

Maybe next time Vanderjagt should shut up.

And I still fucking hate Philadelphia and hope Atlanta pounds the fucking shit out of them.

The AFC game looks great New England vs Pittsburgh I have a feeling New England might get Pittsburgh back but 2 of the best defenses in the league going at it should be fun.

For the Super Bowl I hope for Atlanta vs New England either that or Atlanta vs Pittsburgh. As long as it dosen't involve Philadelphia.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Championship Pickoff

Well, Indy fell again. Peyton really is this generation's Marino. Not only is he playing phenomenal football, but he is also missing out in the playoffs. I hope he gets his Superbowl ring someday, though. If the Colts will work on that defense and also work on their running game, they could be a championship team. I hope that other teams saw the divisional playoff games and learned from Pittburgh and learned something about effective defense. (Dick Vermeil, are you listening?!) This makes my pick that much harder, but not much has changed.

Pittsburgh over New England - So the mighty Ben Roethlisberger is human after all. Surprise, fellas. He's a rookie in the playoffs. Of course he's going to screw up. And New York proves that there isn't such disparity in the NFL after all. Any team could win the playoffs on any given Sunday. Sports Illustrated blowhard Don Banks extolls on the virtues of the Patriots this week and say the Steelers will lose. He'd been quiet for a while, but the win this weekend brought out the big mouth again. I still say he's an idiot. But does that make him wrong in this case? Maybe not. New England really is fantastic. (I feel sick again.) Their defense is indeed the powerhouse that they claim to be. And they are very intergchangeable, as is evident from the absence of several players, including Ty Law. The key will be who makes more mistakes and who can run the ball. Both teams are quite capable. In their last meeting, Pittsburgh won the game by two touchdowns. I look for the Pats to correct their scheme and pull closer, but I also believe the Steelers will hold them off in both the running game and in defense.

Philadelphia over Atlanta - Things are more complicated for the Falcons, who easily dispatched the St. Louis Rams over the weekend. Atlanta suffered five losses this year, to the Lions, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Saints and Seahawks. In what would become a nightmare game, the Chiefs beat the Falcons 56 to 10, with all eight touchdowns being rushing. More troubling are the two losses in weeks 16 and 17 to the Saints and Seahawks. I see this as a sign of the trouble they will have meeting Philly, who have rested their starters since week 16. The Eagles have suffered three losses this year to the Steelers, the Rams and the Bengals. Granted, the last two games didn't mean a whole lot, but the 27-3 thumping by the Steelers in week 9 revealed some offensive issues. (And "Terrible Terrell" and Donavan McNabb had a few choice words on the sidelines at the time. Owens has been out for several weeks now.) Will these offensive chinks in the Eagles' armor give Atlanta the opportunity they need to capitalize and win the NFC Title? Not really. The Falcons' defense can be worn down quickly with a running game. And run the Eagles will, until the opportunity presents itself to go to the passing game. And the Eagles' defense is more prepared for the Falcons' offense. And in the end, Philadelphia will finally, after four long years, win the NFC title.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Some funny shit from ESPN

Old 01-18-2005, 06:01 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY:

NFC Championship:

Atlanta Falcons @ Philadelphia Eagles - For the fourth consecutive time, the Eagles are in the NFC Championship. The question is: will they choke? I think they might. It's going to be a close game, but in the end, I don't think the Eagles defense will be able to stop Michael Vick or special teams. And that will be the deciding factor. The Eagles may just have to wait another year for another shot at the Super Bowl. I believe this is a "cursed" team when it comes to the NFC championship, and that's why I'm predicting the Falcons.

Winner: Atlanta Falcons

AFC Championship:

New England Patriots @ Pittsburgh Steelers - Honestly, I hope the Steelers win this game. I don't want to see the season end for this team. And besides, I can't stand the Patriots, and I'm patiently waiting to see them fall and crumble before my eyes. However, and unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. The Steelers looked very shaky during last Saturday's game against the Jets, as well as Ben Roethlisberger. The Patriots know how to take advantage of the mistakes their opponents make, and with that defensive line, I think they will force Roethlisberger and the Steelers to make mistakes. The homefield advantage of the Steelers will not play a factor. It'll matter about as much as it mattered during the last time the Patriots and Steelers faced off against each other in the AFC championship. There's a possibility this will be a very close game, however, the Patriots will win this game somehow (probably with their precious kicker, Adam Vinatieri), and advanced to their third Super Bowl.

Winner: New England Patriots

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 01-18-2005 at 06:34 PM..
Old 01-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Strider, how can you not stand the Patriots? They're the most classy team in the NFL. They don't talk any shit about their opponents. They simply work hard, and go out there and play hard. They are the smartest team in the league, and a refreshing change from the Cowboys mini-dynasty of the early and mid 90s. I'm sensing that you don't like them simply because they are on top of the NFL right now? No one can ever stand the team on top for some reason.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mack
Strider, how can you not stand the Patriots? They're the most classy team in the NFL. They don't talk any shit about their opponents. They simply work hard, and go out there and play hard. They are the smartest team in the league, and a refreshing change from the Cowboys mini-dynasty of the early and mid 90s. I'm sensing that you don't like them simply because they are on top of the NFL right now? No one can ever stand the team on top for some reason.
When it comes to sports, whether it be NHL, NBA, NFL, or MLB, there's always one specific team one cannot stand. In the NFL, my choice is the New England Patriots. I seriously doubt I'm the only one either. And to be honest, I feel insulted that you believe I can't stand them because they're "on top" right now. Of all possible things, it's not that. My reason for disliking the Patriots is simple: I think they're vastly overrated. And you can go ahead and tell me that usual "two Super Bowls in three years" response, but I still think they're overrated. I will admit, as I have admitted in the past, they're a good team. But in my eyes, they're far from greatness. If it wasn't for their mastermind of a coach Bill Belichick, I don't believe the team would be where they are right now.

Also, I absolutely cannot stand how the sports media constantly continues to shower them with such exaggerated praise. Calling them a dynasty, calling them the greatest sports team in such and such years, and calling them the best thing since sliced bread. Honestly, it's get tiring. And if the Patriots do advance to the SuperBowl and win, I can just imagine what they'll say then.

Before SuperBowl XXXVIII, I said if the Patriots defeated the Panthers, their victory would negate the whole 2003 season. I feel the exact same way about this year. If the Patriots do win SuperBowl XXXIX, the 2004 season will be negated. And you know why? Because it'll make me feel as if all the games I watched this season, all the teams I payed attention to this season, all the football talk, was all for nothing. I'll feel as if I shouldn't have even bothered to become involved in this season, or to turn on my television every Sunday. With a Patriots victory at the SuperBowl, the 2004 season will be insignificant.

If the Patriots become the world champions again, I will offer them my congratulations (just like their previous Super Bowl victories), but my feelings about them will not change. I'm sure most people here know that I'm far from being a Patriots fan, so this is nothing but absolute repetition. Therefore, I'm going to try my damnest not to repeat this again - remember, the key word here is "try."

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 01-19-2005 at 05:55 AM..