Old 01-27-2005, 01:36 PM
pats are so set for the future.. check out their players 30 years old or younger..

QB - Tom Brady (27)
HB - Corey Dillon (29)
WR - Deion Branch (25), David Givens (24), Bethel Johnson (25)
TE - Daniel Graham (26)

all of their offensive linemen are under 30 years old...

DE - Richard Seymour (25), Jarvis Green (26)
DT - Ty Warren (23), Vince Wilfork (23)
LB - Mike Vrabel (29), Rosevelt Colvin (27)
CB - Asante Samuel (24), Ty Law (30)
S - Eugene Wilson (24)

so in the offseason the pats just need to add some depth players and eventual replacements for their older linebackers and harrison.. and there's speculation that ty law may be traded, so they'll obviously need to replace him..
Old 01-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeo4
Apologies for my passionate rants. I will attempt to be civil in future anti-Patriots tirades.

It's pretty obvious the Patriots will win...again.
I would just like to say i'm sorry for telling you to go to hell, that was very immature of me. I just got a little bit angry with what you wrote.

Once again, I apologize.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Wow! The Patriots do look to set for the furure, maybe next year they'll be able to beat the Miami Dolphins

Maybe.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:52 PM
they did beat miami this year.. remember? the game they won to set the all time record for most consecutive wins?

this year they also beat.......

indianapolis (twice)
arizona
buffalo (twice)
ny jets (twice)
seattle
st. louis
kansas city
san francisco
baltimore
cleveland
cincinatti

and.. pittsburgh

not bad huh?

and last year they beat..... ahh nevermind too many teams to list

who cares that they lost to miami in the regular season, all teams fall to a crap team every season.. this is the NFL, upsets happen every single week..

and who has beaten them in the playoffs? the games that actually mean the most.. the games against the other elite teams in the league..

exactly.

superbowl ring count:

belichick - 4
reid - 0

Last edited by chiefxcel; 01-27-2005 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-27-2005, 10:03 PM
All I have to say is...

I havent been able to post much latley (new job and something the docs think could be "cancer") but its been fun to read about the war of this superbowl. Its a dream come true for me...Philly vs NE for the title...I cant wait!

You all know where my legion is and New England is going to take this game 30-20.

Like recent finals it should be close but I wouldnt be surprised by anything at this point.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:23 PM
It's not Miami, so they should win. Good point.

The factual Superbowl rings count--

Belichick 2
Reid 0

without Weis & Crennel

Belichick 0

Last edited by meccajay; 01-28-2005 at 12:25 PM..
Old 01-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meccajay

Belichick 2
Reid 0

without Weis & Crennel

Belichick 0
Actually Belichick has 2 Suberbowls rings as a Defensive Co-Ordinator with the Giants.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Quote:
It's not Miami, so they should win. Good point.

Belichick 2
Reid 0

without Weis & Crennel

Belichick 0
yep.. belichick has 4 rings actually and 2 without weis and crennel.. how long have you been watching football?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:23 PM
meecjay, if you're referring to the Belichick's ring count as a head coach, and without Weis and Crennel, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with your statistics there.

Of course, Weis and Crennel will be at the Super Bowl so the fact that Bill hasn't won with the Pats without him doesn't really mean much for this game. As for whether he can win without them, I guess we'll find that out next year.

I think it's a bit of a stretch in the first place. I mean, what coach does win Super Bowls without good coaching personnel to back him up. If you follow that logic, you can downplay everyone. How many SBs did Bill Walsh win without Montana? How many did Jimmie Johnson win without Aikman? How many did John Elway win without Shanahan as his head coach? Would you really question the greatness of any of these men?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:19 PM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Freddie Mitchell's big mouth struck again.

The Philadelphia Eagles' other loquacious receiver -- the one without the Pro Bowl pedigree and ankle injury -- offended some Patriots when he dissed their secondary in a television interview.

Mitchell, a starter only because All-Pro Terrell Owens is hurt, said he just knew the numbers -- not the names -- of New England's cornerbacks. He singled out Rodney Harrison, saying he ``has something'' for the veteran strong safety.

``It just shows he doesn't have respect for us,'' Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel said Friday, responding to Mitchell's comments from a day earlier.

The Patriots' defensive backs will see Mitchell up close when the defending champions meet the Eagles in the Super Bowl next Sunday.

thanks, freddie you just pissed off the best all around safety in the NFL, and one of the hardest hitters too..
Old 01-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Weekend Pickoff

SUPERBOWL XXXVIIII

Jacksonville, Florida
February 6, 2005

New England Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles

2005 marks a milestone for both participants of this NFL Championship game. The Patriots are making their fifth appearance since 1997. And the Eagles are making their first appearance since 1981. This is a tale of two very different teams. New England has won three SuperBowl titles in the last four years. Philadelphia has been in the NFC Championship all four of those years and finally made the breakthrough to win the NFC title and a trip to face the defending champions.

Both teams offer up some impressive statistics. New England and Philly represent the number one and number three defenses in the NFL (number two Pittsburgh was torpedoed in the AFC Championship by New England). They both have remarkable quarterbacks and sharp offenses as well. In fact, both Donavan McNabb and Tom Brady are having benchmark seasons. And of course, both teams profess to have an "all for one and one for all" mentality, in spite of rather remarkable talent pools on both sides of the ball.

So what separates these two teams from one another? Well, not much. However, I can list sixteen reasons that New England has an edge and Philadelphia doesn't. The AFC has a much higher margin of victory. The teams have better over all records in the conference than the combined NFC. While both teams records and statistics are impressive, it happens to be New England that faced tougher opponents conference-wide. This doesn't mean that Philadelphia will fall over dead at the opening kickoff. Quite the contrary, really. I look for the Eagles to push the Patriots to their limit. Hard.

The problem with the Eagles rests in the level of ego among the players. And I don't mean Donavan McNabb. For that matter, I'm not really picking on Terrell Owens for his nonsensical behavior throughout the season, either. But this team has made it to the big one, and they are riding the wave. That wave could crash on them harder than they know when the Patriots take the field.

Make no mistake...Bill Bellichick is a genius. His defensive schemes are unparalleled in the NFL. While Andy Reid is no slouch, he has a lot to think about. The Pats defense is a juggernaut. And they make very few mistakes.

This is where the Eagles need to be extra careful. No grand standing. Just keep a cool head and stick to the scheme. And find that opening. The team with the fewest errors on both sides of the ball will win this game. And the smarter heads always prevail. Hence the New England plan for victory. Philadelphia needs to play it cool or they will fall apart.

For the Patriots, there's one person who makes a world of difference offensively. And that happens to be Tom Brady. If he stays calm and collected, he will make a connection somewhere on the field. If the Eagles rattle him and contain those receivers, it could be a long day for the New England O-line. Defense wins championships, but Tom Brady is becoming famous for eluding them all.

It's not impossible to beat New England, but it only gets harder in the post-season. Bill Bellichick is poised to finally snap Vince Lombardi's winning record as a coach. Tom Brady is undefeated in the playoffs. Conventional wisdom tells me not to think twice about it. The Eagles are savoring the moment, while the Patriots are preparing for the already familiar moment at the end. It's kind of sad, all things considered. Philadelphia finally makes it to the big dance only to be denied once again. In what I believe will be a close game, the Patriots will win their fourth NFL Championship.

Last edited by jeo4; 01-28-2005 at 09:53 PM..
Old 01-28-2005, 04:20 PM
No, Im not scraping the bottom of anything, Im a student of the game, and I don't need to make stuff up or stretch.

Im just saying Blechiks true measure of greatness will come once he's without those guys. Some guys fall off a tad without there counterparts... much how Scottie Pippen and James Worthy's shine seemed to diminish once Michael & Magic moved on.
Some guys get even greater, like with Tuna moving onto N.E. after leaving the Giants and actually increasing his coaching legend. In this way, Belichick's moment of truth is coming, or maybe it's already gone.....and NO I haven't forgotten the Cleveland years either.

Not stretching, but just as conversation since you brought it up, no I don't question the greatness of any of those guys you mentioned, but since you did mention it, would Montana's legacy have been the same had he not been surrounded by excellence at every turn? Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Dion Sanders, Bill Walsh, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Dwight Clark. etc etc...

In the NFL, you are what you're surrounded by.

Put Dan Marino, or Warren Moon on those SF teams, and we'd be talking about one of those guys as the greatest ever, and Montana pulling up 2nd or 3rd...still great, but not quite the same huh.. Steve McNair is one of the most dominate players in the game, but because he's never been surrounded by more than one or two players on his level, with inferior O-lines & recievers etc. He probably won't even get to canton, let alone get a superbowl ring. Barry Sanders, is one of the greatest players ever to play, but soon he'll be remembered as just the 3rd banana behind Sweetness & Emmitt. On & on, and on.
Having said that, I really do give him credit for being the one to put those counterparts together.
Bottom line, yes Belichik is great, but we'll see just how great he really is after Rommeo & Charlie catch flights outta dodge in the second week of Febuary.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:24 PM
well said, I think we're in for a great superbowl and unlike last year, I think it will be a defensive struggle from start to finish..
Old 01-28-2005, 04:25 PM
joe4, that's a pretty damn good post!

You made your pick rationally and also made some positive points about both teams. That's how it's done!
Old 01-28-2005, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiefxcel
well said, I think we're in for a great superbowl and unlike last year, I think it will be a defensive struggle from start to finish..
Quote:
joe4, that's a pretty damn good post!

You made your pick rationally and also made some positive points about both teams. That's how it's done!
Thanks to both of you for the compliments. I believe that this will be the most physical matchup we've seen in over a decade. It's always amazing to see two really great teams fight it out in the SuperBowl. I can rant about who I want more, but what's done is done. Now it's time for the big finish.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:39 PM
I think it'll be a nice 7-7 1st quarter tie, but after that, New England will roll 35-10, and I will be pissed off and angry at the world until the NFL draft.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Damn! It feels so weird that there isn't any football games this weekend. I can't wait until next Sunday.....

Strider
Old 01-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strider
Damn! It feels so weird that there isn't any football games this weekend. I can't wait until next Sunday.....

Strider
I hate this 2 week off break. Well this Sunday I can't wait I think it will be close at the beginning and then New England will blow them out.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Quote:
No, Im not scraping the bottom of anything, Im a student of the game, and I don't need to make stuff up or stretch.

Im just saying Blechiks true measure of greatness will come once he's without those guys. Some guys fall off a tad without there counterparts... much how Scottie Pippen and James Worthy's shine seemed to diminish once Michael & Magic moved on.
Some guys get even greater, like with Tuna moving onto N.E. after leaving the Giants and actually increasing his coaching legend. In this way, Belichick's moment of truth is coming, or maybe it's already gone.....and NO I haven't forgotten the Cleveland years either.

I think you are missing one key point though. That point is that Bellichick has proved his greatness, because he constructed this team. You're point would be better if he had simply walked into this spot and won like some say Phil Jackson did with the Lakers and Bulls and Larry Brown with the Pistons. But thats not the case at all. He put together his great coaching staff and he helped construct one the best teams to come along in a long while with a lot of castoffs and overlooked younger players. In my mind he's already proven his greatness to me. I don't care if he doesn't have another winning season after this. This guy is simply a genius.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
You know, Donovan McNabb can always call his former backup QB for help. Feely did beat the Pats, it can always help the Eagles( ).
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
well terrell owens practiced today and looked great and is pretty much a lock to play in the superbowl and could even start, which is HUGE for philly.. I don't think they'd be able to do much on offense without him, but with him, it's a totally different story.. I definitely think we'll have a close game now and anything can happen

Last edited by chiefxcel; 01-31-2005 at 11:36 PM..
Old 02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bmain77
I think you are missing one key point though. That point is that Bellichick has proved his greatness, because he constructed this team. You're point would be better if he had simply walked into this spot and won like some say Phil Jackson did with the Lakers and Bulls and Larry Brown with the Pistons. But thats not the case at all. He put together his great coaching staff and he helped construct one the best teams to come along in a long while with a lot of castoffs and overlooked younger players. In my mind he's already proven his greatness to me. I don't care if he doesn't have another winning season after this. This guy is simply a genius.
Well said Bellicheck has done a great job with New England and I don't know if it was the players or management as why he failed in Cleveland but you look at it when New England just cut Lawyer Milloy one of the best safety's in the NFL right befor eopening week and Buffalo scooped him up New England just replaced him and right after they got blown out by Buffalo and media were wondering if the players were going to turn on Belicheck New England has been like 33-3 since.

Same thing with Ted Washington he was huge for New England last year and went to Oakland and didn't hear a lot of him this year.

And the new offensive and defensive co-ordinators next year will come from within the organization and not from outside which means whoever takes over will already be somewhat firmiliar with the team's offense and defense.

Terell Owens practiced while everybody is jumping up and down and thinking he will play it was only a light practice he still needs to have full practice by the end of the week and still even if he plays there's no guarantee he will be able to do anything against New England's defense remember this is the same doctor who worked on Grant Hill's ankle and it took him about 4-5 years to get back fully healthy.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 AM
I think Terrell will practice, dress and then stand on the sidelines for this game.

Sure they could use him as a decoy, but then they take a healthy reciever off the field and T.O. won;t be able to make a catch if he's 60% and double covered. Best bet is if you have to play him, make him look gimpier than he is, and hope the Pats go to sleep on just one play late in the 2nd quarter and hit T.O. deep. If it works, sit him for the rest of the game. If it doesn't work, sit him for the rest of the game.

Either way I think this game's gonna be a real extended feeling out process, then deep into the 3rd quarter, both Donovan and Brady explode. You just cant shut down 2 QB's that are that good for an entire game.

Last team with the ball, and enough time on the clock wins.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Well it looks like Emmit Smith is going to retire

From ESPN.com
Running back Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leader rushing, will retire this offseason, sources told ESPN's John Clayton and Chris Mortensen.

A league source told Mortensen it was possible that Smith could announce his retirement Thursday in Jacksonville.

Smith, 35, played 13 seasons for the Dallas Cowboys, and the last two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. He becomes an unrestricted free agent in March.

Smith was in Jacksonville Monday, where he was at a dinner to honor past Super Bowl MVPs. When asked about retiring, he told the Dallas Morning News that he wanted to retire as a Cowboy, but stopped short of saying he would retire this offseason.

"I will, in some way, shape or form," Smith said about retiring as a Cowboy. "There's always a chance (of not playing in 2005). Somebody has got to want me, and if they don't want me, then what? ... I want to play. I want to do what I want to do."

Smith may sign some sort of ceremonial one-day deal with Dallas. In recent years, other veteran star players have returned to the teams where they spent their glory days.

The St. Paul (Minnesota) Pioneer Press speculated that Smith could join an investment group that is trying to buy the Vikings.

After an injury-plagued first season with the Cardinals in 2003, Smith rushed for 937 yards and nine touchdowns last season in 15 starts.

Even if he did play for a team I hated I can't deny that he is one of the best RBs of all time.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:34 PM
I like Emmitt but I say Barry Sanders was the best ever. Put Barry behind Emmits O-line and we might have seen a 3,000 rush yard season.

Also looks like Brett Farve will retire:

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2005PreDraft.html

I like tough players so Farve was always one of my favorites.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by e_lateralus
Also looks like Brett Farve will retire:

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2005PreDraft.html

I like tough players so Farve was always one of my favorites.
I still think Favre can still play and would love to see him still around he's one of the greatest QBs ever so if Favre retires you can pretty much hand Minnesota the division next year unless the Lions improve big time since they made some progress this year and are a young team but I really don't like their schedule next year.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:52 PM
SUPERBOWL XXXIX:

Sunday, February 6th, 2005
Jacksonville, Florida
Alltell Stadium

New England Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles

The time is here once again. Super Bowl XXXIX is quickly approaching, and it will take place this Sunday. It will feature Bill Bellichick's Patriots versus Andy Reid's Eagles. The question is: who exactly will win the game? Well, I think the answer to that question is simple enough - New England Patriots. Despite my hatred for the team, and despite the fact that I will be cheering on the Eagles to pull an upset and defeat them, there's no denying that the Patriots have all the momentum going into this game. And besides, of all the games the Patriots could lose, Super Bowl XXXIX will not be one of them. I don't want to make it sound like the Eagles are pathetic underdogs - they're far from it. I do believe the Eagles have a chance with McNabb, Westbrook, Mitchell, and possibly Owens. And I'm expecting the Eagles to give the Patriots a hard, challenging fight. Just like the other two Super Bowls the Patriots have been involved in - Super Bowl XXXIX will come down to the wire, and possibly conclude with a field goal. In the end, however, I see the New England Patriots winning their third Super Bowl in four years.

Winner: New England Patriots

Strider
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I hope Brett Favre doesn't retire. I think he has at least a couple of seasons left in him. He can still play, and he can still lead the Packers somewhere. Favre is one of the greatest NFL players ever, and if he retires, it's going to be a dark, dark day in football. But it's going to happen eventually, so you might as well accept it.

Strider
Old 02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
looks like patrick surtain's days in miami are over.. he's demanded a trade and miami is giving him permission to seek one.. what a huge loss, this guy is an AMAZING cornerback.. he's shut down nearly every good receiver in the NFL and will be a HUGE pickup to whoever gets him.. not only is he available, but so is charles woodson, another shut down corner.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Quote:
looks like patrick surtain's days in miami are over.. he's demanded a trade and miami is giving him permission to seek one.. what a huge loss, this guy is an AMAZING cornerback.. he's shut down nearly every good receiver in the NFL and will be a HUGE pickup to whoever gets him.. not only is he available, but so is charles woodson, another shut down corner.
Kansas City would be an ideal place they need anybody that plays defense.

Also apparently this weekend could be the end of Cory Simon as a Philadelphia Eagle according to the Trenton times Eagles defensive tackle Corey Simon, with a contract due to expire after this season, still doesn't have the offer he wants, and probably won't get it from the Eagles, which means the Super Bowl probably will be his last with the organization.

Wow the Eagles could lose the game and a few other players too.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
yeah and also trotter is likely to go elsewhere too so they could be screwed next year defensively especially against the run
Old 02-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Quote:
yeah and also trotter is likely to go elsewhere too so they could be screwed next year defensively especially against the run
If Kansas City was smart they would go after Simon, Trotter, and Surtain they need major defensive help even Indianapolis could use either of these 3 players in the offseason.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:52 PM
yeah KC desperately needs defensive help and also Edgerrin James wants out of Indy now and wants to sign with Miami.. Indy was planning on franchising him but they may not be able to afford it with the contracts that manning and harrison have and all of the other free agents that they have to re-sign
Old 02-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Trotter will probably stay, he's already taken the road out of town for the money and was unhappy and far from productive. He's now happy to be back in philly and playing for a title.

Yes, Edge may be franchised in Indy, but if not look for him to return to his college roots in Miami. There's been some talk of him mentioning it to some close friends there already.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Trotter will probably stay, he's already taken the road out of town for the money and was unhappy and far from productive. He's now happy to be back in philly and playing for a title.
I don't know about unhappy but his numbers in Washington were almost identical to his first stint in Phily so he was very productive in Washington he was cut because of Salary Cap issues and the player who replaced him in Washington Antonio Pierce has a great season another player who was robbed of a pro bowl spot.

Plus I'm not sure how much Phily is going to be under the cap next year to resign some of their key guys.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I look for Kansas City to make nothing but defensive draft choices this year. I also look for a couple of free agents to cover the sadly lacking corners, too. If Dexter McCleon and William Bartee are still employed at the beginning of the 2005 regular season, I will be astonished.

Kansas City has one bright spot in a line full of shit players, and that is Jared Allen. He's quick and strong. He's young, too. I see him getting increasingly better.

Mike Maslowski may or may not be back at middle linebacker, but I doubt it. His injury was serious.

I'm in total agreement with everyone here. KC needs a defense and badly. With such a potent offense, if the Chiefs were to pick up a few smart defensive choices, they could be a playoff team again.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeo4
II'm in total agreement with everyone here. KC needs a defense and badly. With such a potent offense, if the Chiefs were to pick up a few smart defensive choices, they could be a playoff team again.
There's going to be some good players in free agency the Redskins better resign Smoot and Pierce.

The Chiefs could easily be a playoff team if they were in the NFC but in the AFC unless any of the top teams drop big time it will be difficult to get in next year.

Oh by the way more stupid comments from Freddie Mitchell regarding Derek Boyko the Eagles' director of media services "I'm not even talking to Derek Boyko any more because they didn't even have a podium for me".

Well boo-fucking-hoo they didn't put a podium for the big superstar reciever Freddie Mitchell who gets like 20 catches a year. Idiot.

Last edited by horrorfreak13; 02-02-2005 at 02:49 PM..
Old 02-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13

Plus I'm not sure how much Phily is going to be under the cap next year to resign some of their key guys. [/B]
Surprizingly, Philly will be more than 15-18 million dollars under the cap next year. They could actually go out and sign Mohammed from Carolina, or some other premium free agent player if they wanted, and resign there current roster. The Eagles really are a true model of cap efficiency these days. Lets hope it stays that way!

Go Birds!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Surprizingly, Philly will be more than 15-18 million dollars under the cap next year. They could actually go out and sign Mohammed from Carolina, or some other premium free agent player if they wanted, and resign there current roster. The Eagles really are a true model of cap efficiency these days. Lets hope it stays that way!

Go Birds!
Well they will have a lot to play around with actually according to CBS Sportsline.com they will have $17.5 million in cap room next year and 19 of 22 starters signed next year.

Still it will be intresting after Phily loses this weekend what the Eagles fans will do knowing that city they will probably turn on them for the next 7 months until football season starts again.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:50 PM
OK, Im ready for my Super Bowl "unbias" prediction...

Pats - 33
Eagles - 23

Phlilly will put some points up but in the long run there are too many weapons and too much skill and too much experience for them to overcome.

MVP - His third, Mr. Brady (an easy pick but an honest one)

The final game for this Pats coaching staff...and they will come out of it like true winners...A new Pats era will begin again...and after winning 3 of 4 there will be some big shoes to fill.