Old 02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
OK, Im ready for my Super Bowl "unbias" prediction...

Pats - 33
Eagles - 23

Phlilly will put some points up but in the long run there are too many weapons and too much skill and too much experience for them to overcome.

MVP - His third, Mr. Brady (an easy pick but an honest one)

The final game for this Pats coaching staff...and they will come out of it like true winners...A new Pats era will begin again...and after winning 3 of 4 there will be some big shoes to fill.
I think the game is over by half time I think New England will be up by 2 or 3 TDs because New England's defense will just punish Phily's recievers and if Pittsburgh defense(#1 in the league) couldn't stop New England offense what chances does Phily's defense got. Considering Phily never really play a team that is good offensively and defensively on both sides of the ball.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13
I think the game is over by half time I think New England will be up by 2 or 3 TDs because New England's defense will just punish Phily's recievers and if Pittsburgh defense(#1 in the league) couldn't stop New England offense what chances does Phily's defense got. Considering Phily never really play a team that is good offensively and defensively on both sides of the ball.
It is easy to think that since NE kept one of the best offensive teams to 3 points...

Then put up 41 on the best defense in the game...

That its going to be a releativly easy game...

Yet, I am reminded by last years Super Bowl and anything can happen. Its a whole different game than all the rest. With that said, NE could roll in a laugher and I wouldnt be surprised...I wouldnt be surprised if NE won by a single point...only Philly winning would shock me in any way.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Quote:
It is easy to think that since NE kept one of the best offensive teams to 3 points...

That its going to be a releativly easy game...

Yet, I am reminded by last years Super Bowl and anything can happen. Its a whole different game than all the rest. With that said, NE could roll in a laugher and I wouldnt be surprised...I wouldnt be surprised if NE won by a single point...only Philly winning would shock me in any way.
Phily wins would be the end of life itself Phily hasn't had a sports team win a title since the 70s and their fans in that city and with me being a Redskins fan is why I hate the Eagles I don't want next year being about Phily and their superbowl title.

BTW I'm picking Corey Dillon for the MVP. It wouldn't shock me if Brady won it either just picking someone different.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeo4
I look for Kansas City to make nothing but defensive draft choices this year. I also look for a couple of free agents to cover the sadly lacking corners, too. If Dexter McCleon and William Bartee are still employed at the beginning of the 2005 regular season, I will be astonished.
Good news for a Chiefs fan...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Patrick Surtain was given permission to seek a trade.

I wonder how Larry Johnson would look in a fish helmet and aqua pants...

But I also wouldn't count out old Marvin Lewis... I'm sure P-Dub (Peter Warrick) and a third round pick would be equitable... I've always felt like he wanted to go back to Florida anyways.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:22 PM
quite a few teams with tons of cap room this year...

1. Minnesota - $30 million
2. Seattle - $24 million
3. Jacksonville - $23.6 million
4. San Diego - $22 million
5. Chicago - $19.3 million
6. San Francisco - $18 million
7. Baltimore - $17.3 million
8. Philadelphia - $17 million
9. Dallas - $17 million
10. NY Jets - $15.9 million
11. Cleveland - $15 million
12. Detroit - $15 million
13. St. Louis - $11.6 million
14. Arizona - $9.9 million
15. Buffalo - $9.1 million
16. Carolina - $5 million
17. Cincinatti - $4 million
18. Washington - $4 million
19. New Orleans - $3.7 million
20. Houston - $2.5 million
21. Denver - $1.8 million
22. New England $-2.9 million
23. Green Bay $-3 million
24. NY Giants $-3 million
25. Oakland $-3.8 million
26. Pittsburgh $-4.2 million
27. Indianapolis $-5.7 million
28. Kansas City $-7 million
29. Tampa Bay $-12 million
30. Atlanta $-14 million
31. Miami $-17 million
32. Tennessee $-26 million

as you can see, alot of teams are screwed as well..
Old 02-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Washington's Cap number is $4 million Oh crap the Redskins will have to do a lot to get Fred Smoot back now.

Looks like Tennessee and Miami are fucked next year
Old 02-03-2005, 04:32 PM
KC's fucked too, they won't have the money to bring in any notable defensive players... also look for jacksonville to get muhsin muhammed or plaxico burress.. and ty law will probably be released from new england and eugene wilson will make the move to CB.. so ty law, patrick surtain, and charles woodson should all be up for grabs.. damn!

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-03-2005 at 04:42 PM..
Old 02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
You're fogetting a whole lot of players who are going to be free agents or simply traded. The draft hasn't happened yet, so I'm not so sure that any team is screwed just yet.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Quote:

Actually, they only put on 34 because of that INT Return for a TD. Plus, Roethlisberger gave them good field position several times with his picks.

Nice to see the Lions have some cap space. The Lions will be a playoff team if they stay away from injuries next year. Now for the pick:

Super Bowl XXXIX
Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots
Honestly, this will be a close game. Philly's defense will play a lot better than Pitts did last week. And McNabb is a hell of a lot better of an option than Roethlisberger was. It's hard to tell in this matchup. TO will catch two balls for about 21 yards and everybody will pretend he doesn't exist. I think the scores on Philly's side will be two Field Goals, a rushing TD by Westbrook, and two touchdown passes; one to Todd Pinkston and one to LJ Smith. On New England's side, I think the scores will go similar to this: One field goal by Vinateri, three Rushing TD's by Corey Dillion, and a TD pass on Brady's part to David Givens.

Final Score: 31-27, New England
MVP: Corey Dillion
Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
Super Bowl XXXIX
Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots
Honestly, this will be a close game. Philly's defense will play a lot better than Pitts did last week. And McNabb is a hell of a lot better of an option than Roethlisberger was. It's hard to tell in this matchup. TO will catch two balls for about 21 yards and everybody will pretend he doesn't exist. I think the scores on Philly's side will be two Field Goals, a rushing TD by Westbrook, and two touchdown passes; one to Todd Pinkston and one to LJ Smith. On New England's side, I think the scores will go similar to this: One field goal by Vinateri, three Rushing TD's by Corey Dillion, and a TD pass on Brady's part to David Givens.

Final Score: 31-27, New England
MVP: Corey Dillion
What McNabb won't throw one to Mr. Big Mouth Freddie Mitchell. I think Phily will get 1 TD at least at the most 2 because this offense really has 2 weapons McNabb and Westbrook and I don't see the Pats defense letting Westrook do a whole lot.

I say 31-17 New England Corey Dillon as the Super Bowl MVP.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:54 PM
well they're not necessarily "screwed", but they won't have enough money to make many significant acquisitions.. unless they make some huge cuts.. tennessee and miami will have to make some HUGE cuts just to get under the cap
Old 02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I'll have to go with NE 20 Philly 17, I think it'll be a defensive struggle and will come down to the wire.. anything can happen and I think philly has a great shot as long as the game stays close

superbowl MVP picks:

if new england wins..... eugene wilson
if philly wins..... jevon kearse

good news for the patriots, richard seymour practiced at full speed and looks to be fully recovered from his injury..

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-03-2005 at 05:10 PM..
Old 02-04-2005, 02:56 AM
MVP - Probably a defensive back like Rodney Harrison. Anything to help fulfill a storyline after Freddie Bitchell's unfunny tirade.

RUMOR!

Three teams intrigue Alexander
Tacoma News Tribune
The News Tribune's Mike Sando reports that the Bengals, Buccaneers and Dolphins are among the teams that Seahawks free agent Shaun Alexander may be interested in signing with.

THE BENGALS?!?!?!?! WOW!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Kudos to the Browns for giving up ALL 50 of their SuperBowl tickets to soldiers returning from Iraq. How cool is that?

Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Here's to a great Superbowl game, with the actual game being more talked about than the halftime show this year!

In all honesty, if Philly isn't a bundel of nerves then we should have a great one. What with 2 great defenses, and 2 great QB's this one should be football splendor!

May you all have a funtastic Superbowl weekend!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:36 PM
How do we spell bitter?? B-e-d-n-a-r-i-k.

Bitter bird
Bednarik wants Eagles to lose Super Bowl
Posted: Friday February 4, 2005 1:00PM; Updated: Friday February 4, 2005 2:16PM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Chuck Bednarik holds a grudge only slightly larger than his legacy as the last of the 60-minute men.

Known for his hard-nosed play and big hits, Bednarik is just as well-known for his biting, blunt diatribes about today's NFL, Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and any other topic that reminds him the game isn't the same as when he played.

He also is protective of his Hall of Fame legacy. While he boasts about playing both center and linebacker for part of his 14-year career, Bednarik is equally as proud to have played on the last Eagles team to win a championship (1960).

That's why Bednarik will be rooting against the Eagles in the Super Bowl against New England. He has no desire to ever see the franchise win another title.

"I can't wait until the Super Bowl is over," said Bednarik, who played for the Eagles from 1949 to 1962. "I hope the 1960 team remains the last one to win. I hope it stays that way."

Bednarik admits he's jealous and resentful about the salaries and spotlight today's players receive, calling them "overpaid and underplayed." Bednarik says he never made more than $27,000 and supplemented his income with an afternoon job selling concrete, earning him the nickname "Concrete Charlie."

Imagine the multimillion dollar endorsement deals and magazine covers for a 60-minute player today. Forget working for a concrete company. He could probably own one. Or five.

"How would you feel sitting there knowing what transpired when I played?" said Bednarik, who lives in Coopersburg, Pa., and turns 80 in May.

Maybe Bednarik would keep his sentiments to himself if not for a dispute with the only team he ever played for.

Bednarik's acrimony stems from a 1996 visit with Lurie when he asked the Eagles owner to buy 100 copies of his book at $15 a pop, a total of $1,500, or "tip money," as the Hall of Famer described it.

Bednarik wanted Lurie to give the books to the team. He says Lurie refused because the Eagles aren't allowed to give the team gifts.

Bednarik has since distanced himself from the Eagles, only reluctantly showing up for a reunion because the organization surprised him by agreeing to his demand for a limousine. Bednarik still watches football and likes Eagles coach Andy Reid because his stoic demeanor reminds him of Buck Shaw, the coach of the 1960 team.

"Andy's just a nice person," Bednarik said. "When he first came here, he wanted to meet me."

Appropriately, a man who worked in concrete forever cemented his stature as one of the legendary Eagles with two of the most celebrated hits in team history in 1960.

He knocked out New York's Frank Gifford with a blow so ferocious _ and legal -- that the Giants running back suffered a concussion and didn't play again until 1962. Then there was Bednarik's game-saving tackle of Green Bay's Jim Taylor on the final play of the '60 title game.

Bednarik refused to let Taylor up as the final seconds ticked off, allowing the Eagles to hang on for a 17-13 championship win on Dec. 26, 1960, in Franklin Field.

"Everybody reminds me of it and I'm happy they remind me of it," Bednarik said. "I'm proud and delighted to have played in that game."

Bednarik recalled playing on all but two kickoffs against the Packers. He said he could have kept playing if he needed to, unlike today's players who "suck air after five plays."

In 1996, Deion Sanders played regularly on both offense and defense for the Cowboys, becoming the NFL's first two-way starter since Bednarik in 1962. Bednarik was not impressed.

"The positions I played, every play, I was making contact, not like that ... Deion Sanders," Bednarik said. "He couldn't tackle my wife. He's back there dancing out there instead of hitting."

No topic is off limits for Bednarik, not even the crazed Eagles fans who paint their faces, sing the fight song and camp out early for the perfect tailgate spot on home games.

"The fans were for us, but these people are nuts," he said. "It wasn't like that then. Nobody would get there at 6 a.m. and wait and do all that. ... No way. To me, they're nuts."

Some would say the same thing about Bednarik.

Tommy McDonald, a Hall of Fame receiver who played with Bednarik from 1957-62, remains an avid Eagles supporter (he offered to suit up if Terrell Owens can't go) and has grown tired of Bednarik's act.

"I don't know how many times I've said, 'C'mon, Chuck. Get over it.' He won't let it go," McDonald said.

While McDonald says he recently rejected an offer to sell his championship ring for $5,000, Bednarik pawned the same ring and his Hall of Fame ring for needed cash.

"I'm not struggling, but I'm not that well off," Bednarik said. "I have my wedding ring. I don't need to wear nothing else. It paid for some of my income tax. I never had a child go to school here and my school tax is $5,116. School tax!"

Bednarik receives a football pension check, but, not surprisingly, he said it isn't enough.

"It stinks," Bednarik said. "It's nothing."

The winning players in Sunday's Super Bowl will get a bonus that is more than Bednarik ever made in a season. He just hopes the Eagles won't be the ones cashing those checks.

"They can root for 'em, but I want us to be the last champions," he said.

Source: CNNSI.com
Old 02-04-2005, 10:35 PM
looks like the NFL will be adding more thursday and saturday night games to the NFL schedule and it could start as soon as next season.. won't be for the full season but definitely far more than what we usually get.. also there's talks of having a regular season game played in canada...wouldn't be a bad idea because there's not many NFL fans in canada and with the NHL pretty much done for, hockey fans should start watching more NFL football..

and that bednarik guy sure knows how to hold a grudge.

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-04-2005 at 10:40 PM..
Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by chiefxcel
looks like the NFL will be adding more thursday and saturday night games to the NFL schedule and it could start as soon as next season.. won't be for the full season but definitely far more than what we usually get.. also there's talks of having a regular season game played in canada...wouldn't be a bad idea because there's not many NFL fans in canada and with the NHL pretty much done for, hockey fans should start watching more NFL football..

and that bednarik guy sure knows how to hold a grudge.
Maybe we can just take the two conference runner ups and send them to Toronto for the BACON BOWL.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:45 PM
In re Bednarik, he wasn't just called Concrete Charlie because he worked at a plant, hitting him felt like hitting concrete...

His financial situation isn't a surprise. The NFLPA has never really stuck together as a union (witness all the stars who crossed the picket line in 1987) and better pensions for the men who made the game what it is just aren't on the NFL's agendas. Sure, they'll use your image as an icon to promote the league but don't actually expect, y'know, any money...

Speaking a Chuck Bednarik and Tommy McDonald, their former teammate Don Oakes was profiled in yesterday's Roanoke Times. Interesting story:

Friday, February 04, 2005

Double fun on Super Sunday

As a former Eagle and Patriot, Don Oakes is ready for Super Bowl XXXIX.

By Randy King
The Roanoke Times

Of the thousands around these parts tuning into Sunday's Super Bowl between Philadelphia and New England, none will watch the big game from the same seat as Roanoke Valley native Don Oakes. That's literally and figuratively, folks.

Eagles vs. the Patriots. If you're Oakes, this is one super matchup straight out of football heaven. Oakes, see, has connections here. In a professional career spanning from 1961-68, the former Virginia Tech standout played for only two teams. Guess which two?

"You'd never dreamt this back in those days," said Oakes, who played for the NFL's Eagles in 1961 and 1962 before finishing his career with a six-year stint with the old AFL's Boston Patriots.

"Of course, these two teams getting there was always a possibility, but I never really figured on it happening."

So which team will he pull for? That's as simple as a cut block for the old left tackle.

"I have to go with the Patriots," Oakes said. "Because I spent more time up there and that type of thing.

"Another thing is Donovan McNabb [the Eagles quarterback]. I'll always remember that guy beating Tech on the last play of the game at Syracuse [in 1998]. I haven't forgotten that."

While Oakes, 66, now enjoys retirement after working more than 30 years with the Roanoke County school system - including a nine-year stint as William Byrd High's head football coach from 1972-80, he remains a fanatic about a game that he has been around for more than a half-century.

When he's not spending time with his grandson, Justin Drew, on weekends, Oakes can usually be found parked in front of the television set watching games. The ex-Andrew Lewis High star said he likes the Patriots' chances of winning a third Super Bowl title in four years.

"I like the way the Patriots play the game," Oakes said. "Everyone has a role to play. I understand he plays everyone on the roster. To do what that guy [New England coach Bill Belichick] did this year with those defensive backs all butchered up like that, rotating guys in and out, was something else. Plus, I think the Patriots play as a team and they don't have individuals out there show-boating and stuff."

Oakes said flashy-act guys like Eagles receiver Terrell Owens and Minnesota Vikings wideout Randy Moss wouldn't have lasted long back in his day.

"A lot of the old guys would have said, 'let's tee off on this guy, let's get rid of him,'" said Oakes, chuckling. "Back in those old days, the players didn't like that stuff. I think the league is letting it get out of hand. They should crack down on it and cut it out."

Oakes, a starter in his six seasons with the Patriots and an AFL Eastern Conference All-Star in 1967, retired from football in 1968 at age 30. He played with such NFL greats as Sonny Jurgensen, Tommy McDonald, Chuck Bednarik, Babe Parelli and Gino Capelletti.

"Back in those days, basically we played the game for fun," he said. "There wasn't much cash in it. We had to have an offseason job. When I went with the Eagles, the highest-paid guy on the team was Sonny Jurgensen. That was his first year starting and he was making $25,000. And it went downhill after that.

"Plus, I was lucky. I hadn't been hurt and I was still in one piece."

Thirty-six years later, he now gets to sit back and watch the only two pro teams he played for go head-up for the title. The old tackle is stoked, too.

"I'll just kick back here at home and watch. I'll probably cuss every once in a while," said Oakes, laughing.

His wife, Darlene, will have plenty of food and beverage for her big O-lineman.

"We were married before Don even started playing [pro] football, back when we didn't know if we were going to be there or not," she said. "Now, after all these years, it's funny and so hard to believe that both the teams are in the Super Bowl. It's good somebody remembers all that."
Old 02-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Oh, and I am beyond furious that Art Monk was passed over, yet again, for the Hall of Fame.

Every single finalist this year, even Michael Irvin who I loathe so much that I literally mute the TV or turn the channel when he's on ESPN, deserves enshrinement. They can vote in a maximum of 6. To only have 4, and leave the men they left outside...it's disgraceful.

Marino and Young are both hugely deserving candidates, but they should have company up there next August..
Old 02-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Part of me feels sorry for former players in Bednarik's position, but as for Bednarik himself I have to say screw him. I mean have you seen interviews with this guy. Everytime I see him on NFL films stuff and read interviews it cracks me up. People rip on players like TO and Moss that have become competely full of themselves. Well in my opinion Chuck is every bit as bad as them. He talks himself up like he was the by far the toughest SOB to every play the game. I'm not saying he wasn't, but come on I don't need to hear it from him. And as far as ripping on the NFL today I say get over it. The game has changed. Quit being a grumpy old basterd and shut the hell up.

On a totally unrelated topic here's a quick line from Bill Simmons that killed me about Barry Switzer:

.There hasn't been nearly enough made about the fact that Barry Switzer coached a Super Bowl champion -- I wouldn't have allowed that guy to pick my three offensive audibles in a game of "Madden."

Classic Sports guy stuff if you ask me.

And I have to agree the Michael Irvin got ripped. I really can't stand him, but thats for the off the field things he's gotten himself into. On the field you can't question him at all. He played his ass off on every play. He was a great blocker and was fearless going over the middle.

Art Monk should be in too. I think the main reason he isn't is because he was overshadowed by some of the other recievers playing at the time. Most especially Jerry Rice.

Last edited by bmain77; 02-05-2005 at 07:32 PM..
Old 02-06-2005, 02:51 PM
The wait is over......

SUPER BOWL XXXIX

Enjoy the game, guys.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:07 PM
In about 8 hours or so, the champions will be crowned, and the season will be over. Then, another long spring and summer of waiting for the new season to begin. Enjoy tonight while it lasts.

GO PATS!!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:13 PM
GO EAGLES!!!!!

Last edited by Strider; 02-06-2005 at 03:16 PM..
Old 02-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strider
GO EAGLES!!!!!

Oh. Is that the team the Patriots are playing tonight? I had forgotten their names.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Patriots - 22
Eagles - 19

MVP - Rodney Harrison

I can deal with another year of Patriots fans. I don't want to imagine Philly's.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:55 PM
going to be another great superbowl, we've had some great ones over the past few years...

new england vs. carolina
new england vs. st. louis
st. louis vs. tennessee

all of those games came down to the wire, and I think this year's will as well.. I have a feeling philly's going to shock the world and win the superbowl.. philly 23 new england 16

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-06-2005 at 05:18 PM..
Old 02-06-2005, 07:27 PM
the new england patriots win their 3rd superbowl in 4 years... could you say dynasty? WOOOOOOOO.. philly needs to learn how to manage the clock... what a game.. what a year.. the pats do it AGAIN!... and we'll be back next year fully healthy and ready for another one

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-06-2005 at 10:15 PM..
Old 02-06-2005, 10:19 PM
It's offical, The Eagles don't know how to control the clock in the biggest game of the year. It's sad really.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
It's offical, The Eagles don't know how to control the clock in the biggest game of the year. It's sad really.
it must be due to lack of preparation..and that's what separates new england from the other teams in the NFL, they prepare better than anybody, and are ready to face any challenge they meet.. philly wasn't able to do that.. credit them for making it a fun game to watch, but they just weren't good enough and didn't deserve to win the superbowl..

so what was it that freddie mitchell had in store for rodney harrison??? talk about being invisible, harrison had 1 more catch than he did! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-06-2005 at 10:42 PM..
Old 02-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Some random thoughts from the game tonight:

The Patriots have to be considered the best defense in the history of the league irregardless of what the statistics say. It's mindboggling how this D messes up likely future hall of famers like Manning and Mcnabb.

I think if I was Coach God I'd retire and walk away into the sunset. What else does he have left to prove? Why tarnish your record career playoff winning %? Just go out on top. Few coaches have ever done it.

If they hadn't screwed up so bad, I'd almost feel sorry for the treatment Andy Reid and his coaches are going to get from the Philly fans for the way they handled the clock. Like Buck, Aikmen, and Collingsworth said it was quite baffling.

I'm curious to see what kind of offense teh Pats run next year. From what I hear the defense won;t be much different because the coordinator will be an in house promotion and will pretty much do the same system. But they may have to look out of house for the new offensive coordinator and Bellicik isn't known for his offensive mind. I'd love to see what Brady could do in a more wide open Rams or Colts style of offense.

Burt Reynolds getting kicked in the nuts by a grizzly bear will never not be funny.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:48 PM
No losers today.

A truly excellent game tonight, one of the best Super Bowls in the game's history.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I guess everything's been said. I was rooting for the Eagles, hate the Pats, and I'm glad to see the Eagles held on so close for so long.

Truth is...the best team won. Pats made all the good calls in the money time, and it was obvious they were better prepared. McNabb got that pass intercepted, which was bad for morale, and then despite the last touchdown the Eagles couldn't handle the clock at all, which I think did them more harm than anything else in those final six or seven minutes.

But hey...they gave it their all and gave it a good shot. I just wish I'll see one of these games one day and not see Terell Owens yell at one of his teammates like a grade-A prick (especially considering McNabb knew he fucked up at that point and knew the blame was on him).
Old 02-06-2005, 11:13 PM
One of the worst examples of clock management in the history of football. Westbrook sealed it by catching that ball near the end of the game which cost the Eagles any chance they had to win it.

Thank you and good luck to both Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss. It's been a great run, and thanks for the memories guys. Next year, the Pats will try to become the first team to win 3 in a row.

I caught some flack earlier for saying the Pats were the best, and that was the end of the discussion. Oh well, in the end, I was right.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't really fault mcnabb for this loss, I fault the entire team and the coaches.. they just weren't prepared for the situation they were in, and didn't know how to run a hurry up offense.. also, they were really worn down.. the lack of a running game just made it even harder on mcnabb and the philly o-line, that they were running out of gas near the end, and that's why it took them so long to score.. you need a better running game than that to win the superbowl...

well it was a very interesting and fun season as usual, and I can't wait until next season.. philly will be the favorite to win the NFC next year but we still have a long offseason ahead of us and I look for minnesota and atlanta to both improve.. especially minnesota, since they have $30 million in cap room... as for the patriots, they'll have almost all of their starters back next year and the biggest thing in the offseason for us will be hiring new co-ordinators and settling the ty law situation.. if we can keep ty law, we'll have him, samuel, poole, gay, wilson, and harrison in the secondary.. not bad at all!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chiefxcel
I don't really fault mcnabb for this loss, I fault the entire team and the coaches.. they just weren't prepared for the situation they were in, and didn't know how to run a hurry up offense.. also, they were really worn down.. the lack of a running game just made it even harder on mcnabb and the philly o-line, that they were running out of gas near the end, and that's why it took them so long to score.. you need a better running game than that to win the superbowl...

well it was a very interesting and fun season as usual, and I can't wait until next season.. philly will be the favorite to win the NFC next year but we still have a long offseason ahead of us and I look for minnesota and atlanta to both improve.. especially minnesota, since they have $30 million in cap room... as for the patriots, they'll have almost all of their starters back next year and the biggest thing in the offseason for us will be hiring new co-ordinators and settling the ty law situation.. if we can keep ty law, we'll have him, samuel, poole, gay, wilson, and harrison in the secondary.. not bad at all!
As far as the coordinators go, I think the Pats should be on the phone tomorrow seeing if they can convince Norm Chow to come and work with Tom Brady next season. If Chow is really interested in coming to the NFL, then come to the best, not the Titans. That team is going to be in shambles over the next couple of years whereas the Patriots are built for success.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:53 PM

Boy, I really don't like Sean Salisbury, and his reasoning is absolutely dubious. He claims the 2001-2004 Pats are better than the 92-95 Cowboys because the Cowboys had a WIDE margin of victory (an average of 17.3 points), and the Pats won in close games (an average of 3 points). What kind of reasoning is that?!?!

Congrats to the Pats, great dynasty, I was rooting for them tonight, because I HATE the Eagles. But I must say, I still believe the Cowboys of the 90's were the best football team ever assembled.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 AM
agreed.. the pats are one of the best teams ever, but nobody is better than the cowboys of the mid 90s.. aikman, smith, irvin, novacek, and the best offensive line ever... and their defense wasn't too bad either.. charles haley, leon lett, russell maryland, tony tolbert, darren woodson, bill bates, george teague, deion sanders, kevin smith, thomas everett, brock marion, etc. etc. etc.. but the pats still are an amazing team, and I don't think they're quite done yet

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-07-2005 at 01:14 AM..
Old 02-07-2005, 01:18 AM
to make the night even better, brett favre is now leaning towards playing next year.. that's great, as I would hate to see the guy leave right now because he can still play and still loves playing the game so he might as well keep it going..

in other news, it seems almost certain that randy moss will be dealt and the teams most interested in him are baltimore, oakland, and the NY Jets... minnesota probably wants a 1st or 2nd round pick and a defensive starter in exchange for moss so it'll come down to who wants him the most.. I'd love to see the jets get him, pennington would then have randy moss and santana moss, that'd be pretty funny and would make the jets automatic contenders in the AFC

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-07-2005 at 01:27 AM..
Old 02-07-2005, 02:21 AM
If I had to guess, Moss will end up in Baltimore next year.