Old 02-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Washington and the New York Jets are in serious trade negotiations right now... the jets want coles, and they desperately want to get rid of santana moss so a moss/coles deal looks like a very good possibility right now.. this deal will be very hard to make though because of washington's financial situation.. if the jets don't get him via trade, they'll get him or another top receiver through free agency..

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-25-2005 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-25-2005, 12:12 PM
jacksonville is in major pursuit of derrick mason right now and are the early leading candidates to sign him.. he'd be a great fit, amazing possession receiver who shreds double teams... derrick mason, jimmy smith, and reggie williams.. not bad at all
Old 02-25-2005, 12:32 PM
updated salary cap figures.... not 100% accurate, but it gives you a good idea.. numbers in red are negative amounts

minnesota - $22.4 million
detroit - $21.7 million
cleveland - $19.8 million
baltimore - $19.3 million
jacksonville - $19.1 million
dallas - $18.4 million
arizona - $18.2 million
chicago - $17.7 million
san diego - $16.9 million
san francisco - $13.5 million
seattle - $12.5 million
philadelphia - $12.4 million
buffalo - $9.9 million
NY giants - $9.4 million
NY jets - $8.6 million
st. louis - $7.1 million
cincinatti - $6.8 million
washington - $6.5 million
indianapolis - $4.7 million
denver - $4.0 million
houston - $3.0 million
tennessee - $1.7 million
kansas city - $2.7 million
green bay - $3.2 million
pittsburgh - $3.7 million
miami - $4.1 million
new england - $4.7 million
carolina - $6.4 million
atlanta - $13.5 million
tampa bay - $17.1 million
oakland - $18.0 million
Old 02-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chiefxcel
Washington and the New York Jets are in serious trade negotiations right now... the jets want coles, and they desperately want to get rid of santana moss so a moss/coles deal looks like a very good possibility right now.. this deal will be very hard to make though because of washington's financial situation.. if the jets don't get him via trade, they'll get him or another top receiver through free agency..
Coles for Santana Moss. I\ll take that Moss is a very good reciever and yound too he's 2 years younger than Coles.

Although I would prefer Coles over Santana Moss it's a little better than just letting him go and then letting Dallas or the bastardly Giants from getting him.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:31 PM
moss is definitely better than nothing.. and if they can get braylon edwards or mike williams they'll have a solid young pairing of receivers.. I wonder what they're going to do with gardner, if anything..
Old 02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Quote:
moss is definitely better than nothing.. and if they can get braylon edwards or mike williams they'll have a solid young pairing of receivers.. I wonder what they're going to do with gardner, if anything..
They are supposed to get a draft pick in return probably a 2nd or most likely a 3rd rounder. The problem now is Minnesota now will have Oakland's pick and Chicago is pretty much guaranteed to select Braylon Edwards which most likely means the Redskins will have to trade up to get Williams since Minnesota will jump at the chance to get him once they trade Moss.

It's either that or they will draft a CB or a DE one of the two.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Recently released players:
Patriots CB- Ty Law
Panthers WR- Mushin Muhammad
Seahawks WR- Jerry Rice

Interesting moves, although not suprising. A good CB and WR avaliable there for someone to pick up. I don't know who will sign Ty Law, but Baltimore will try very hard to get Mushin probably. Same with the Giants.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:55 PM
I love how the NFL does things usually, but man something is wrong when guys who had super years like Mason and Muhammed are released. I think they really need to look into some sort of softer cap along the lines of the NBA.

I wouldn't touch Ty Law with a 10 ft. pole to play CB at this point, but as I've said before he's a perfect canidate to slide back to safety. I think'd he be a damn solid safety for another 3-5 seasons. A few pro bowls wouldn't be out of they realm of possiblity for him at all.

I've read a couple local writers saying the Lions are also taking a close look at Mason. He'd be a great slot receiver, but also a nice insurance policy to have in case of Rogers and Williams gettting injured again. They are likely releasing Az-Hakim and I can't see them re-signing Tai Streets.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 PM
muhsin muhammad has agreed in principal to a deal with the chicago bears.. I sure didn't expect that.. now just imagine if they take mike williams or braylon edwards which I think they will.. I think if chicago has a good passing attack, it'll really open up some room for thomas jones who showed flashes of greatness last year

my mock top 10..

1. San Francisco - Aaron Rodgers
2. Miami - Cedric Benson
3. Cleveland - Alex Smith
4. Chicago - Mike Williams
5. Tampa Bay - Cadillac Williams
6. Tennessee - Pac-Man Jones
7. Minnesota - Braylon Edwards
8. Arizona - Ronnie Brown
9. Washington - Erasmus James
10. Detroit - Antrel Rolle

Last edited by chiefxcel; 02-26-2005 at 01:43 PM..
Old 02-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Muhsin Muhammad is now a Chicago Bear!
Yay, more competition in the division. Also, Garcia is offically getting a physical for the Lions....... Honestly, if the Lions need a QB(which they do, Harrington is the only one left on the roster) they can grab someone like Kyle Orton in the 4th or 5th round in the draft. Orton's had a terrific first half of the season in Purdue and it wouldn't be a bad move. Signing Garcia would just be pointless, being that he's 35 and he'll cost more than Harrington will.

Last edited by brodeurnumber1; 02-26-2005 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-26-2005, 01:00 PM
charles woodson just signed his $10.5 million franchise tender, and that money is guaranteed.. oakland's now $28 million over the cap at this point
Old 02-26-2005, 01:47 PM
I can't believe they're even interested in Garcia... they better not blow any money on him, they have other needs to fulfill
Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I want the Lions to bringin a decent veteran to push Harrington in training camp. As long as its not Warner I'm happy. I'd rather not bring in Tinker Bell. I was hoping of someone more along the lines of Kitna and possibly Brian Griese. He's due a big bonus and Tampa Bay is not sure they want to pay it. I think I might even take Brad Johnson over Warner and Garcia.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
Recently released players:
Patriots CB- Ty Law
Panthers WR- Mushin Muhammad
Seahawks WR- Jerry Rice

Interesting moves, although not suprising. A good CB and WR avaliable there for someone to pick up. I don't know who will sign Ty Law, but Baltimore will try very hard to get Mushin probably. Same with the Giants.
Any team with trouble in their secondary could use Law in a number of positions.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Griese just resigned with the Bucs which means Garcia/Warner war in Detroit! Whoopie.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:36 PM
If Warner was smart he'd stay away from Detroit, he's going to end up playing the same fiddle as last year.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Cleveland.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Call me crazy

(You're CRAZY!!!)

But I think I can see Rice ending up in New England. Im not sure why but after they hit a home run with Dillon, dont you think its only fitting that he ends up with the Dynasty?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 PM
For the love of all that is holy will someone please convince Rice to retire already. Signing with the Raiders as a way to stick it to the 49ers was cool in my book, but seriously this guy needs to hang em up. I think he is still better than a lot of WR still, but it's just time. Being a third or fourth reciever should be beneath him.

But if he's dead set on returning I'm thinking of a certain team that runs the West Coast offense he's set all these records with. And on this team are a couple of young recievers that have all the talent in the world, but could also use some tutelage from seasoned veteran such as RIce. He could also put up some numbers potentially here in this city. The team as a whole would also greatly benefit from having someone in the lockeroom who has seen and done all the things that Rice has. But I'm not sure RIce is too keen on catching balls from either Harrington or from a qb who while on your team is also a member of "the other team."

Actually I'm starting to warm up to the idea of the Lions signing Garcia if not nothing else to hear all the "enllightened" Lions fans cracking gay jokes all day on sports radio. Not that I would condone somethign like that.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
Call me crazy

(You're CRAZY!!!)

But I think I can see Rice ending up in New England. Im not sure why but after they hit a home run with Dillon, dont you think its only fitting that he ends up with the Dynasty?
As much as I don't like New England, I've been saying that RIce needs to go out on top and should ask the Patriots for a league minimum salary just for that purpose. It shouldn't be about the money by now. It's a matter of pride. Go somewhere where catching two balls a game is respectable with the best shot of winning it all.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bmain77
For the love of all that is holy will someone please convince Rice to retire already. Signing with the Raiders as a way to stick it to the 49ers was cool in my book, but seriously this guy needs to hang em up. I think he is still better than a lot of WR still, but it's just time. Being a third or fourth reciever should be beneath him.

But if he's dead set on returning I'm thinking of a certain team that runs the West Coast offense he's set all these records with. And on this team are a couple of young recievers that have all the talent in the world, but could also use some tutelage from seasoned veteran such as RIce. He could also put up some numbers potentially here in this city. The team as a whole would also greatly benefit from having someone in the lockeroom who has seen and done all the things that Rice has. But I'm not sure RIce is too keen on catching balls from either Harrington or from a qb who while on your team is also a member of "the other team."

Actually I'm starting to warm up to the idea of the Lions signing Garcia if not nothing else to hear all the "enllightened" Lions fans cracking gay jokes all day on sports radio. Not that I would condone somethign like that.
Jerry Rice needs to retire just sign a 1 day contract with the 49ers and retire.

Mushin Muhammed signing with the Bears? Good luck on getting your superbowl ring because Muhammed ain't going to get it in Chicago.

Also apparently The Redskins are making a serious push for ex-Titan CB Samari Rolle. Kansas City is also making a push for him too.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13
Jerry Rice needs to retire just sign a 1 day contract with the 49ers and retire.

Mushin Muhammed signing with the Bears? Good luck on getting your superbowl ring because Muhammed ain't going to get it in Chicago.

Also apparently The Redskins are making a serious push for ex-Titan CB Samari Rolle. Kansas City is also making a push for him too.
Yeah because we all know that the Redskins need to improve their defense.

Jesus christ, this team needs to get its offense in order, go for depth in the defense, not break your bank on some superstar.

I know the Ravens of 00 didn't have a ball busting offense, but they still won by the number of points scorerd at the end of the game. The skins need to focus on that.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:43 PM
No suprise updates today: David Terrell released from Chicago and Brad Johnson released from Tampa Bay.

In other news, the Lions are interested in trading for Donovan Darius who is Jax's franchise player. Very interesting, though I don't want to trade our 10th overall pick for him.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Just for Jeo4 and any other Chiefs fan...

http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.3521

Every business day, fanball.com lists an off-season gameplan for a new team, in alphabetical order.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDeadWalk

Every business day, fanball.com lists an off-season gameplan for a new team, in alphabetical order.
Do they have the Lions on there somewhere? Must find it if they do.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the link. It will come in handy. I'm glad the Chiefs dumped Holliday. He was too much money and too little talent. If Samari Rolle joins the Chiefs, I will be astonished. Law is trouble, but he would be a welcome addition. I think that if they were to make a deal with Fred Smoot, this would provide them with some much needed help. Otherwise, the draft is a good place to find some help defensively this year.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Do they have the Lions on there somewhere? Must find it if they do.
Considering they are on letter "K" and the Lions were letter "D", the article may seem a little outdated with some of the analysts thoughts. However, it was only a week ago, so most should probably still be accurate predictions.

http://www.fanball.com/article.cfm/id.3470
Old 03-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Considering they are on letter "K" and the Lions were letter "D", the article may seem a little outdated with some of the analysts thoughts. However, it was only a week ago, so most should probably still be accurate predictions.

http://www.fanball.com/article.cfm/id.3470
Well I figured it would be there, I just couldn't find it on the site. Thanks for the link. If I honestly had to choose between Warner and Garcia, I'd choose Warner. He's probably cheaper and he will help Harrington more. Warner was teacher to Manning last year, maybe he can help out Harrington a little. Garcia wouldn't even bother with Harrington.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Yeah because we all know that the Redskins need to improve their defense.

Jesus christ, this team needs to get its offense in order, go for depth in the defense, not break your bank on some superstar.

I know the Ravens of 00 didn't have a ball busting offense, but they still won by the number of points scorerd at the end of the game. The skins need to focus on that.
The Redskins are focusing on getting a WR with either Braydon Edwards or Mike Williams. The Bears will draft one of them and now with the Moss trade there's a good chance the Vikings will draft Williams.

The signing of Samari Rolle is pretty much a given that the Redskins will lose Fred Smoot in free agency I like Smoot but Samari Rolle would be an adequate replacement if they get him.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Here's a list of the top 32 free agents available according to ESPN and where they could land up

Top 32 UFAs
Player Team Exp. Comment/Prediction

1. CB Samari Rolle Titans 7 Rehabilitating from 2004 knee injury, but still capable of shutting people down and, even with some slippage, teams don't often throw at him.

Projected landing spot: Washington.

2. OG/OT Mike Wahle Packers 7 (Wahle hasn't officially been released yet, but he will be some time today by the Packers) Principally a left guard but demonstrated in the playoffs he can move outside and play tackle. Some franchises feel that is his best position, which will enhance his value.

Projected landing spot: St. Louis, N.Y. Giants, Carolina, Miami, Chicago.

3. DE/DT Kevin Carter Titans 10 Selfless defender who moved inside to tackle to help out the decimated Titans' front. At age 31, still a terrific two-way defender and impact player no matter where he lines up.

Projected landing spot: Tennessee.

4. CB Fred Smoot Redskins 4 Has matured markedly as a person and player over the last couple seasons. Aggressive ballhawk with superb instincts, will come up and support against the run.

Projected landing spot: Dallas, Seattle, N.Y. Giants.

5. LB Edgerton Hartwell Ravens 4 Played in the shadow of Ray Lewis for four years, and lining up in the 3-4 sometimes camouflaged just how good a playmaker he is. Efficient player who gets around the ball.

Projected landing spot: Kansas City, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Indianapolis.

6. DT Jason Ferguson Jets 8 Classic 4-3 nose tackle who eats up blockers and frees other defenders to make plays. Really stepped up his game in 2004 and displayed an ability to provide some inside push on the pocket.

Projected landing spot: Dallas, N.Y. Jets.

7. WR Derrick Mason Titans 8 Versatile and fearless receiver who, despite his lack of size, doesn't mind putting himself in harm's way. A little older than you'd like (31) but only four-year starter, so has some juice left.

Projected landing spot: Jacksonville, Baltimore, N.Y. Jets, Minnesota.

8. DE Marques Douglas Ravens 5 Held up against the run in the Ravens' 3-4 front and several teams think he will blossom playing right end in a 4-3 alignment. Good two-way defender with pass-rush potential.

Projected landing spot: Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Arizona, Kansas City.

9. WR Plaxico Burress Steelers 5 Long and lean and capable of getting deep. Didn't put up big numbers in 2004, largely because of injuries, but actually helped his stock by becoming an even better team player.

Projected landing spot: Baltimore, Minnesota, N.Y. Giants, N.Y. Jets, Washington.

10. DE Reggie Hayward Broncos 4 Is one of those players who is a real free agency creation. Not necessarily a special player, but still young and starting to emerge as a pass-rush force. Will be a quick signing.

Projected landing spot: Jacksonville, Arizona.

11. SS Kenoy Kennedy Broncos 5 Somewhat surprising the Broncos haven't tried a lot harder to keep him since he is such a physical presence in the interior secondary. A physical, sure tackler, only modest coverage skills.

Projected landing spot: Atlanta, New Orleans, Oakland.

12. OT Kareem McKenzie Jets 4 Solid strongside blocker who a few teams feel might be able to line up on the left side. Can really move people around when motivated. Three-year starter but only 25 years old.

Projected landing spot: Cleveland, Arizona, Carolina.

13. CB Ken Lucas Seahawks 4 Even though his performance tailed off in the second half of the '04 season, six of his 11 career interceptions came last season and he certainly is becoming a top-flight coverage player.

Projected landing spot: Seattle, Arizona, Indianapolis.

14. FS/CB Dwight Smith Bucs 4 Great natural cover instincts, superb burst to the ball, nice hands. Began career as a "nickel" corner, switched to safety in 2003, hopes to move back outside with a new team.

Projected landing spot: New Orleans, Detroit, Minnesota.

15. LB Jeremiah Trotter Eagles 7 Had to beg the Eagles to take him back last summer but, in only nine starts, made enough plays to straighten out the Philadelphia run defense and earn a Pro Bowl spot.

Projected landing spot: Kansas City, Philadelphia.

16. OT Jonas Jennings Bills 4 Tough, physical leftside blocker who still struggles at times with speed-rushers, but who is a hard worker and can play a lot of positions. Will benefit financially from playing the pass-protection side.

Projected landing spot: Chicago, N.Y. Jets, St. Louis.

17. CB Ty Law Patriots 10 Obviously would rate among the top five free agents if he could guarantee a full recovery from the broken foot that sidelined him much of the 2004 season. Still a big-time talent.

Projected landing spot: Cleveland, Kansas City, Dallas, Oakland, Minnesota.

18. OG Marco Rivera Packers 9 Will be 33 years old in April, but still performing at a very high level, and will generate surprisingly good interest. Powerful in-line blocker who can still root out 320-pound tackles.

Projected landing spot: Dallas, Carolina, St. Louis.

19. DT Pat Williams Bills 8 Has played both nose tackle and the three-technique positions inside and, despite his age (32), still active enough to be a difference-maker. Will freelance sometimes and not play the run as well.

Projected landing spot: Cincinnati, N.Y. Jets, Miami, Arizona.

20. CB Andre Dyson Titans 4 Often eclipsed by Samari Rolle, but a good player in his own right, and just coming into his own at age 25. Not very physical but ranks among the top free agent corners in interceptions and breakups.

Projected landing spot: Oakland, Tennessee, Minnesota.

21. OT Fred Miller Titans 9 There are quite a few teams who feel he has broken down and doesn't have a lot left. On the flipside, he has enough suitors, and plays the right position, to make himself a lot of money.

Projected landing spot: New Orleans, St. Louis.

22. CB Gary Baxter Ravens 4 Didn't play nearly as well in 2004 as he did the previous season and posted only one interception. Has played safety and cornerback and desperately wants to stay at the outside position.

Projected landing spot: Baltimore, Cleveland, Jacksonville.

23. RB LaMont Jordan Jets 4 Great potential and power, deceptive outside speed, but has never logged more than 93 carries in a season and averaged just 65.5 attempts for his career. An intriguing guy, though.

Projected landing spot: Oakland.

24. OG Rick DeMulling Colts 4 Former seventh-rounder has gotten better every season and, until an injury sidelined him for a few games late last year, might have been a Pro Bowl candidate. Good in-line blocker.

Projected landing spot: Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Green Bay.

25. LB Kendrell Bell Steelers 4 Onetime league defensive rookie of the year has suffered through a lot of injuries the past two seasons but, if healthy, will merit plenty of attention. Can play inside in 3-4, strongside in 4-3 front.

Projected landing spot: Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati.

26. WR T.J.
Houshmandzadeh Bengals 4 Not blessed with great speed, certainly more a No. 2 pass-catcher than a "lead" wideout, but coming off a big year. An excellent route-runner, has some run-after-catch skills and sneaky speed.

Projected landing spot: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Baltimore, N.Y. Giants.

27. CB Anthony Henry Browns 4 Finally overcame previous history of injuries in 2004 and developed as a cover guy on the rise. Can play it tough, comes up and supports against the run, and can run deep with receivers.

Projected landing spot: Dallas, Washington, Cleveland, Baltimore.

28. DE Derrick Burgess Eagles 4 His medical dossier, including a broken foot in two of his first four seasons, might be a "red flag" for some clubs. But had a terrific playoff series with three sacks and plays bigger than his size.

Projected landing spot: Arizona, Jacksonville, St. Louis.

29. LB Antonio Pierce Redskins 4 Never a full-time starter until Micheal Barrow was lost to injury in 2004, and then stepped masterfully into the middle 'backer role. Not flashy, but makes the plays he's supposed to between the tackles and is very smart.

Projected landing spot: Minnesota, Washington, Kansas City, N.Y. Giants.

30. DE Chike Okeafor Seahawks 6 Doesn't have great speed but is still viewed as a solid-enough upfield rusher to garner interest from several teams. Plays the run a little better than he is credited for.

Projected landing spot: San Francisco, Seattle.

31. LB Morlon Greenwood Dolphins 4 Doesn't often make the big hit or the game-altering turnover but can play both outside spots and performs with an economy of motion and a notable efficiency.

Projected landing spot: Minnesota, Kansas City, St. Louis.

32. C Casey Rabach Ravens 4 Very flexible interior blocker, can play guard or center, but seems best suited to the hub position. Can get out in front of screens and quickness allows him to block at the second level.

Projected landing spot: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Washington.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Dexter Coakley has signed a 5 year 14.5 million dollar deal with the Rams for the first free agent move. Next move? Derrick Mason has agreed to a 4-year deal in principal with the Ravens. Very interesting.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM
decent move by baltimore, but they still don't have any other good wide receivers.. they're still a long way away from being a serious contender... well not many big receivers left, I guess it's just plaxico burress now, because tj housh is expected to re-sign with cincinatti any minute now..

Last edited by chiefxcel; 03-02-2005 at 02:38 PM..
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Fuck Baltimore.

Now I have to put up with that fucking Derrick Mason twice a year now.

Actually, four times. (Bengals/Browns). Fucking shit.

Oh well. Money says the Ravens still take a WR in the first round. Why? Because even Jesus had apostles.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:19 PM
The Lions will supposedly sign a QB by the end of the week. They've talked to Mr. Brenda Warner, the Limp Wristed one, and Brad Johnson so it's likely to be one of them. Of the three I'm hoping for Brad Johnson, but I have a gut feeling it's going to be Warner over Garcia. Warner has said all along that Detroit is his first choice and of the three I would think that Warner would probably be the best choice to work with Harrington.

When I saw that the Pats weren't bringing back Troy Brown I thought for sure that Derrick Mason was going to head their way. He perfectly fits the mold of a Patriot WR. I wonder if Brown and New England are talking about a new deal for less money. I just can't see Brown playing anywhere else.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Either way, next year we will get a Super Bowl winning quarterback, or a guy that we can joke about until he leaves the town. It shall be very interesting.

The Cowboys sign a couple of defensive players in Jason Ferguson and Anthony Henry. Nice to see them focusing on their needs. And the Pats will get Duane Starks from Arizona for a third round pick. And Housh re-signs with Cincy. Looks like things are heating up.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Yahoo sports article by free press columnist Drew Sharp:

Who wouldn't want the Lions' No. 2 quarterback job?

You're canonized -- the patron saint of the can't-be-any-worse.

It's the best job in Detroit. Downtown parades are held in your honor immediately upon your arrival. You become the next in the long, long, l-o-n-g line of rightful heirs to the Bobby Layne legacy. You're great only because nobody has yet had the opportunity to scream that you stink.

The only problem with the job is that paradise is short-lived. You're never the backup for long in this town. As the sun rises every morning, so, too, will every Lions starting quarterback eventually falter.

So basically Matt Millen and Steve Mariucci are courting the guy who will become their starting quarterback at some point next season.

Kurt Warner, who finally will be released by the New York Giants today, represents the least of multiple evils among the free agents available. He might be a faint facsimile of his Super Bowl-winning, two-time MVP self, but he still has forgotten more about clutch quarterbacking than the other candidates can ever hope to remember.

The start of the free-agent shopping season today means everyone now eagerly awaits the puff of white smoke emanating from the Allen Park asylum, a symbol that the Lions have come to terms with the next anointed panacea.

This is but further evidence of the NFL's marketing genius, turning this annual shopping spree into one of winter's biggest events.

Handle this right, and even the most desperate can reap the fruits of parity.

But for all the big signing bonuses in the next few weeks, free agency is no more the answer to success in the NFL than it is in major league baseball.

Most of the recent Lions discussions have centered on quarterback and whether it will be Warner or Jeff Garcia or maybe even Brad Johnson. But the quarterback search overshadows the Lions' most pressing concern -- the reconstruction of the offensive line.

If the new No. 2 quarterback becomes the new No. 1, then the Lions had better make sure they have a sturdy offensive line to keep him upright.

Is this organization finally headed in the right direction? Look no further than the right side of the offensive line for the answer.

Good teams develop talent. Good teams steadily nurture mid- to late-round draft choices into effective starters. Good teams aren't fazed at the prospect of losing quality in the free-agent market.

If the Lions finally have their act together, then Kelly Butler or Victor Rogers will emerge as more than a comparable replacement for Stockar McDougle at right tackle. Butler was a sixth-round pick, Rogers a seventh-rounder.

McDougle, a first-round selection, is the last vestige of the Bobby Ross era. He never blossomed into the star most projected, but he nonetheless is a good, reliable football player. But the free agent has likely priced himself out of returning to the Lions.

Butler and Rogers' development is more of a statement about the Millen era than whether Joey Harrington becomes the trusted figure calling the signals.

Go down the list of perennial playoff teams, and there's one attribute common to all, a steady flow of mid- to late-round draft choices moving up the depth charts and eventually into the starting lineup. It might be a guard one year, a linebacker the next. But the successful organizations don't rely exclusively on the early rounds of the draft and overpaying in the free-agent market.

Defensive end James Hall is the only starter on either side of the ball who was neither drafted in the first three rounds nor signed from another team through free agency. The Lions signed Hall as an undrafted free agent after he came out of Michigan in 2000.

Failure to develop at least a few projects condemns a team to perpetual rebuilding. Developing players also reduces the margin for error, particularly when targeting free agents.

The Lions committed more than $40 million in signing safety Brock Marion and cornerback Fernando Bryant last year, yet this year two of the team's biggest needs are a more punishing presence at safety and more speed at cornerback.

The Lions also need a guard, a pass rusher, a tight end and another playmaking wide receiver.

And, yes, they need a quarterback to push Harrington if not actually pass him.

Let's face it. Millen hasn't fared terribly well in free agency. For every Damien Woody success, you can come up with multiple disasters like Bill Schroeder and Tai Streets.

When you don't develop any of your lower draft picks, you always wind up with more holes than options to fill them. And that usually makes you a desperate shopper come the start of March.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ight&type=lgns
Old 03-02-2005, 10:56 PM
^ According to the article above, I say that Browns fans and Lions fans need to get together every Summer and go bowling or something.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:10 AM
QB - Carson Palmer
HB - Rudi Johnson
WR - Chad Johnson, Peter Warrick, T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Kelley Washington
TE - Matt Schobel

Aye carumba.

great signings by dallas, adding two solid defensive players and addressing two glaring needs.. and a great move by new england too, we desperately needed another corner so that eugene wilson can stay at the FS position instead of moving to CB... starks is an awesome corner when healthy and was one of the best CBs in the league during his days in baltimore.. can't wait for more signings to happen, I hope plaxico goes to jacksonville or the jets..

Last edited by chiefxcel; 03-03-2005 at 01:29 AM..
Old 03-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Now the Cardinals are talking Anquan Boldin for Michael Bennett.

Fucking stupid.

Boldin and Fitzgerald could be dynamite together, don't fuck it up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ball&type=lgns

Not for Michael Bennett.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Quote:
^ According to the article above, I say that Browns fans and Lions fans need to get together every Summer and go bowling or something.
Ooh, sounds fun.

If the Cardinals trade Boldin, that would be the stupidest move of the century. If they must have one, Cadillac Williams or Ronnie Brown or Cedric Benson are bound to be avaliable with their pick.

Also, Raiders sign Lamont Jordan to a 5 year, 27 million dollar deal. I honestly don't understand why so much. He's been a lifelong backup and he hasn't proven himself yet.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Also, Raiders sign Lamont Jordan to a 5 year, 27 million dollar deal. I honestly don't understand why so much. He's been a lifelong backup and he hasn't proven himself yet.
First off I can't understand how the Raiders can do that while they are still way over the salary cap.

Nice to see the Redskins getting C Casey Rabach which improves their offensive line.

And also according to profootballcentral.com the Redskins have signed Samari Rolle which means Fred Smoot won't be back.

And the Coles-Moss trade isn't dead yet and appears to be 50-50 that the trade will happen.