Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
The Lions are an absolute disaster, and something has got to stop the fans, Matt Millen, and the Fords.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:26 PM
The Colts are no longer perfect.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
Amazing indeed!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Dear Manning,

Sorry about the loss. Ill see you in the playoffs.

All my best,
Tom Brady
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
Its about time. Now watch them choke in the playoffs.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Why all the hate for the Colts? It's pretty amazing that they went 13 in a row without a loss, really. I wouldn't just count them out because they lost one game. Hell, the last four teams to have made it past twelve games undefeated have made it all the way.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Yep, plus the Colts really needed the game film and extra motivation a loss brings late in the year when you're starting to believe your own hype..

Also they only showed a portion of the offensive playbook yesterday and none of there regular intensity. It would have been "nice" to go 16-0, but they're just were they want to be right now.

As far as the Pats go, yes, they could actually win in Indy, but me thinks thery'll be studying the same film from yesterday and there loss against Indy earlier in the season. Stuff they won't be seeing in January in the dome.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Well I thought the Colts were going to run the table but now the focus is now to just staying healthy for the playoffs.

But now to more important things like Washington blowing the fucking shit out of Dallas. That was so funny between that and stealing one from Dallas in week 2. That game yesterday was so enjoyable Bledsoe was hit over and over all game long and Dallas looked like the shit team that Dallas is.

MNost importantly now this shoves it up ESPN and every other expert that had Dallas making the playoffs and my Redskins not even winning 6 games this year. And if you look at it right now Washington is in 6th spot and they control their own destiny.

Let's see what Michael Irvin thinks about his stupid team now.

BIG game against the Giants the Redskins can still win the NFC East but that would result in me having to rely on Oakland to beat the Giants in 2 weeks so I'll take the wild card if possible.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Nice to see Vick going to the Pro Bowl and Bledsoe/Brunell not making it, despite having much better years passing wise. Dumb fans.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Four Facts of Life:

1.) Here's something that everyone remembers!

"The Indianapolis Colts will always choke in the playoffs."

2.) Here's something that everyone forgets!

"The Denver Broncos will always choke in the playoffs to the Indianapolis Colts."

3.) Here's something people will say!

"The Denver Broncos are a better team than they were in the last two years."

4.) Here's something that people won't say!

"The Indianapolis Colts are a much better team than they were in the last two years."
Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Seahawks = Over-rated.

Teams they have beat:

Atlanta 21-18. (Atlanta is en route to playing Tampa Bay and Carolina to finish out the season and possibly become a .500 team)

Arizona x 2 (currently 4-10)

S.F. x 2 (currently 2-12)

St. Louis x 2 (currently 5-9)

In week 5, the victory was 37-31.

"Rams coach Mike Martz was on the sideline calling plays after missing two practices last week while undergoing tests for a bacterial infection of a heart valve, and began taking antibiotics Friday. In retrospect, Martz said he should have allowed offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild to run the show."

"Seattle clinched the win when Rams punt returner Shaun McDonald fumbled with 2:51 to go, and Jean-Phillippe Darche recovered it for Seattle at the St. Louis 37."

Houston 42-10 (currently 2-12)

Giants 24-21 OT (Jay Feely misses 3 kicks inside the 30 that would have won the game.)

Philadelphia 42-0 ( Philly is currently 6-8. Total offensive spanking with McMahon and Detmer playing QB. Hasselbeck throws for 98 yards and gets benched because the game is out of hand at halftime.)

Dallas 13-10

"Brown rushed onto the field and nailed a 50-yard field goal with no time left to give Seattle a 13-10 win."

Tennessee 28-24 (Tenn is currently 4-10)

Aside from this, all we have to show is their two losses. One to Washington(8-6, 17-20), and the other to Jacksonville (10-4, 14-26)

Let the records show that all the Seahawks have done is mop up the trash of the NFL this year. When it has came to credible teams, they've squeaked by, just flat out got lucky, or lost.

Therefore, I believe that although the Seahawks are a very likeable team, they will not be representing the NFC in the Superbowl this year.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDeadWalk
Four Facts of Life:

1.) Here's something that everyone remembers!

"The Indianapolis Colts will always choke in the playoffs."

2.) Here's something that everyone forgets!

"The Denver Broncos will always choke in the playoffs to the Indianapolis Colts."

3.) Here's something people will say!

"The Denver Broncos are a better team than they were in the last two years."

4.) Here's something that people won't say!

"The Indianapolis Colts are a much better team than they were in the last two years."
Classic.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh my God!

BREAKING NEWS
Tony Dungy's son found dead
James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in his apartment in Tampa, Fla., Thursday morning. Tony Dungy has left the team temporarily to go to Tampa. More details to come on this breaking news story.

All I can think of is the sweet little kid running out to get the kicking tee off the field in Tampa... Too sad for words.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Re: Oh my God!

Quote:
Originally posted by meccajay
BREAKING NEWS
Tony Dungy's son found dead
James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in his apartment in Tampa, Fla., Thursday morning. Tony Dungy has left the team temporarily to go to Tampa. More details to come on this breaking news story.

All I can think of is the sweet little kid running out to get the kicking tee off the field in Tampa... Too sad for words.
I feel really bad for Dungy and his wife(he's married right?) about now, losing a son is never easy espically so young and right near the holidays. I hope the Dungy family is alright, and handles this tragedy well.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Terribly sad news. I wish him and his family the best in this difficult time.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Man...bad news...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:29 PM
R.I.P
Old 12-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Rest In Peace. I heard it might have been a suicide. That's sad.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
First off That's so sad to hear about Dungy's son commiting suicide that's just sad just horrible I wish him and his family the best.

Now to NFL playoff talk one more week and all my Redskins need is a win I'm sure Brunell will play and the Eagles should be easy to beat. Like seriously any team that loses to Arizona is just fucking horrible. And my team need to win because I'm certain Dallas will beat St. Louis and hopefully Carolina wins so that will shove Dallas out of the playoffs and also shove it up ESPN's ass.

Also just wondering who wants to tank it more Houston or San Francisco

and can we fucking please quit moving my Redskins game from early afternoon to fucking 4PM when I have to work because it is very irritating. That's the 2nd time in 3 week's that has happenned.

Oh alos got a look at the Pro Bowl selection and what fucking boneheads Michael Vick over Mark Brunell. Fucking idiots Vick isn't even in the top 6 in the NFC this year and stupid morons decide to vote for Vick because it's Michael Vick and I'm more known for running with the ball than passing it.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah Vick made it on his rep more than his performance.. Living here in the Atl you can tell by his press confrences that he know's he didn't deserve it.

As far as the Redskins go, I'd like to see them do some damage. There the team nobody in the NFC wants to play right now with all respect to Seattle. The Skins have been building this weird momentom for weeks now, and I'm enjoying it. I'm an Eagles fan, but because were having such a down year, I can actually appreciate other teams in the div for a change. I'm also a big fan of Joe Gibbs!

A Bears vs Skins championship would be hella cool!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 PM
The pro bowl crap is just more reason for me to not like Michael Vick.

I was watching ESPN today, and they were discussing the 49ers Vs. Texans game and how it relates to the draft. If Houston wins, and all over 3-12 teams lose, then there will be a five-way tie for the first round pick. (Houston, 49ers, Saints, Jets, Packers)

That five-way tie is broken by measuring each team's schedule, per their opponents' win-loss percentage to determine who had the least difficult schedule.

nfldraftcountdown.com has compiled this list every week, and it is up-to-date through week 16. In a five-way tie, the New Orleans Saints would snatch the first pick in the draft at this point in time, with an opponents win-loss % of .517, having the least-difficult schedule of the bunch.

Another interesting tidbit, is looking to see just how difficult the schedules were for several other teams:

Washington and San Francisco tied for most difficult: .546

Pittsburgh and New England tied for a tough .500

Indianapolis and Cinci tied for a so-so .463

Seattle Seahawks the lone carrier of the league's easiest schedule:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fea...raftorder.html

Now don't get me wrong, I like Seattle. But again, this goes to show that they are a highly overrated team that will not make the Superbowl.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:22 AM
I just hope that Houston wins so that either New Orleans or Green Bay get Reggie Bush (due to strength of schedule). If Houston loses, they're guaranteed the first pick.

As much as I'd like to see the explosive Bush back for Favre's last stand next year, I think it would be good for the Saints. They've been through some shit this year.

Go Atlanta. Go New York. Go Dallas. Fuck those bitch ass Skins.

(horrorfreak, no offense. Just trying to ruffle some feathers).
Old 12-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Bush doesn't fit in the Saints either, though. They are paying Deuce McAllister A LOT, so picking Bush would be a huge mistake. Houston/New Orleans shouldn't pick Bush, picking D'Brick for Houston and maybe trading down a bit for New Orleans and picking AJ Hawk or Jimmy Williams or something would be better.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 PM
If Houston wins then New Orleans will wind up with Leinart and Green Bay will get Bush. This should be the dream senario for both teams seeing as the Saints will be left quarter back less after the season and the Packers will be left running back less.........GO HOUSTON!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 PM
I've given up swimming against the anti-Vick tide around here some time ago, but I do need to say a few things about this.

They were in great position to win last week. Michael Vick put them there. He doesn't kick or block for the special teams, so let's not be blaming him for that loss.

I like Brunell, a lot, and I appreciate his generally fine play this year, but I'm not really sure it was Pro Bowl caliber. His tremendous immobility cost the Skins big in the very winnable games against Oakland and Tampa, where a first down late would have salted each game away to just a meaningless series of kneeldowns.

The Pro Bowl is voted on by a system of fans, players and coaches, whose votes are weighed equally. I really think that would shake out a little better than a bunch of posters on a message board (of which I am certainly one, just making a point.)

Lastly, for the love of God, Raiders...do us all a favor and beat the fucking Giants tonight so the Skins can win the Division tomorrow. You owe us from that fucking Super Bowl.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:16 AM
What's up with Chris Mortensen's rumor about Browns GM Phil Savage? Cleveland is denying it now, but Mort said that they were considering either firing Savage or reducing his role in the company. The hell? He's been trying to rebuild this team and he hasn't even gotten a year, yet! Give him and Romeo some damn time.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Worst possible outcomes this weekend. Houston loses (and wins by getting Bush). Atlanta gets humiliated. Eagles play their asses off and choke, helping Washington eek by. All in all, one of the worst weeks in the NFL. And the league gave that game to the Colts. The Cards played their asses off and beat them, and stupid replay took it from them.

The only good thing that happened today was courtesy of Doug Flutie. The first drop kick in the NFL since 1941. I wonder if it will be 55 years until we see the next one.

And Favre won, so he won't be getting Bush, but it was good to see him win. Maybe they'll get a monter of a lineman or something.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll just throw out my awards for thy year:

MVP: Tiki Barber/Tom Brady(split vote)
Offensive Player of the Year: Shaun Alexander
Defensive Player of the Year(since it's based on stats): Jonathan Vilma/Jason Taylor
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Carnell Williams
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Odell Thurman/Lofa Tatupu
Coach of the Year: Nick Saban
Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Absolutely agree on Tiki Barber. The Giants would be in tough shape w/o him. He gets almost no consideration when the discussion comes up and that is appalling to me.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:45 AM
As far as MVP goes, I have to disagree with Tiki Barber. The MVP should go to Shaun Alexander in my opinion. He led the league in rushing this year. Barber was second. He had 28 total touchdowns this year, a new NFL single season record. I don't know how many TDs Barber had off hand, but I know it wasn't anywhere near Alexander. Alexander's team finished with the best record in the NFC. I believe the Giants finished with only the third best record. Alexander helped the Seahawks get over the hump this year, and become a legitimate Super Bowl contender. And as with Barber, the Seahawks would be nowhere near where they are right now without him. Which is why I have no idea why they have not given him a new contract yet. But anyways, here would be my top 5 MVP votes:

1. Shaun Alexander

2. Tom Brady

3. Carson Palmer

4. Tiki Barber

5. Steve Smith

I'm sure Manning will actually be pretty high on the MVP voting, but I just think the guys I mentioned were truly more valuable to their teams this year.

I'm stoked for next week, and the start of the playoffs. I'm sure we'll be seeing everyone's first round predictions soon enough.

A little note from last year I thought I'd mention. While I did pick the Jets to make the playoffs this year (I know, I know. Stupid.) I also wanted to remind everyone that I also picked the Redskins to get a wild card spot this year. So, I come out looking a little better that way.

I only picked one playoff game incorrectly last year so I'm looking forward to attempting to improve on that this year. My preseason Super Bowl prediction was New England vs. Carolina. Still alive although I won't hold myself to that when picking the games individually.

And finally, in this very random football thread of mine, I just wanted to thank Dick Vermeil for finally giving Larry Johnson a chance. The guy ran for 1800 yeards this season in 9 starts. 9 starts!!! He is the best running back in the league right now. That's right. Not Tomlinson, not Alexander, Larry Johnson.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nachokoolaid
Worst possible outcomes this weekend. Atlanta gets humiliated.

Man, I was at that game - it was freakin' depressing. Need to get a defense next year or we'll wind up in the same predicament - especially a run defense.

My vote for MVP would go to Shaun Alexander, basically for all the reasons that The Mack stated. Lot o' TDs, lot o' rushing yards.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 AM
If Priest Holmes didn't win the MVP in his huge season, Alexander shouldn't either. If the Seahawks had another above average RB say a Julius Jones fully healthy for the whole year, he would have had about 1600 yards and 14 or so TD's. And they would probably be 11-5. The Seahawks aren't rushing out and resigning Alexander for a resign. They have the best O-Line in the league, and that's the reason that Alexander is the back he is. Put him on a San Diego, he'lll have about, oh say 1100 yards and 9 touchdowns.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
If Priest Holmes didn't win the MVP in his huge season, Alexander shouldn't either. If the Seahawks had another above average RB say a Julius Jones fully healthy for the whole year, he would have had about 1600 yards and 14 or so TD's. And they would probably be 11-5. The Seahawks aren't rushing out and resigning Alexander for a resign. They have the best O-Line in the league, and that's the reason that Alexander is the back he is. Put him on a San Diego, he'lll have about, oh say 1100 yards and 9 touchdowns.
We really can't argue what Alexander would do on another team. For the MVP, all we can look at are the numbers he put up, and those were the best numbers put up by a RB this season. To then turn around, and give the MVP to Tiki Barber, a running back who did not perform up to Alexander's level this season would be a slap in the face. If any RB wins the MVP this year, it has to be Alexander. Barber is a fine RB, the most underrated back in NFL in fact, but without the stat lines to match that of Alexander, an argument that proclaims Barber for MVP lacks substance.

Besides, while Seattle may have a great offensive line, they also lack a true threat in the passing game. Bobby Engram, Joe Jurevicius, Jeramy Stevens. No real threat there. Alexander is the main focus for every defense every week. On the Giants side of things, Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, and Jeremy Shockey would be considered much bigger threats making opposing defenses treat the Giants as a balanced team, hence allowing some focus to be taken off of Tiki Barber.

Shaun Alexander is the MVP.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I have to say to finally have a playoff spot for the first time in 6 years feels great and in turn that victory eliminated Dallas and poor ESPN who's Sunday Night game meant shit afterwords. It also ends Michael Irvin talking about Dallas and hyping them up every week which almost every expert had them making the playoffs and it didn't happen. I'll admit thought Dallas ended up better than I thought they would but despite the fact that Bledsoe did well they won't get in until they draft a young QB or get someone for the future which they don't unless they seriously believe in Tony Romo.

I'll give Phily thought credit at least they made Washington earn their playoff spot unlike Atlanta who just gave their playoff spot to Carolina.

And I know the odds are against Carolina and Washington because they are wild cards but I think every team in the NFC has weaknesses and any team in the NFC could be in the superbowl

As for the AFC I don't think anybody is beating the Colts. Which I still have them winning the superbowl.

I like my team's chances against Tampa Bay a game they should have won because I still don't believe Alstott got over the goal line but that's over and done with and the playoffs are on.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Mike Sherman was fired today and all i have to say is thank god! i just hope that Favre doesnt retire because of this. I was at the game last night and it seemed as if it was Favre's last game, but its obvious that he can still play at a high level.

Hopefully the Packers will do the smart thing and either promote D cordinator Jim Bates or go out and hire Steve Mariucci.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13
I like my team's chances against Tampa Bay a game they should have won because I still don't believe Alstott got over the goal line but that's over and done with and the playoffs are on.
No, he sure as Hell didn't, did he? That reminded me of Emmitt Smith. You used to have to have 7 guys sitting on top of him before they would rule his forward progress stopped. I saw him get up from a dozen legal tackles close to the goal line and get awarded a touchdown.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
No, he sure as Hell didn't, did he? That reminded me of Emmitt Smith. You used to have to have 7 guys sitting on top of him before they would rule his forward progress stopped. I saw him get up from a dozen legal tackles close to the goal line and get awarded a touchdown.
Hater in the house!!!

Honestly though, I'm trying to think back to some controverial goal line calls with Emmitt and I'm drawing a blank. Any specifics you can think of?

Congrats to all the teams that made the playoffs. Any team in the NFC could go, but the Skins and Panthers are a little beat up.

I'm going to go with the Colts over the Bucs in the Superbowl. What about y'all?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 AM
And he're a list of all the NFL coaches fired and ones still to come in the next week or so.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5213258

All the Usual Suspects, really. I think Sherman's firing might cause Favre to go into early retirement. He said earlier in the year that if Sherman went, he would too.

2006 Draft Order (what's known so far) What do you think? SF dropped from 1/2 to 7 by beating the Texans.

1 Texans
2 Saints
3 Titans
4 Jets
5 Packers
6 Raiders
7 49ers
8 Bills
9 Lions
10 Cardinals
11Rams
12 Browns
13 Ravens
14 Eagles
15 Falcons
16 Dolphins
17 Vikings
18 Cowboys
19 Chargers
20 Chiefs
Old 01-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nachokoolaid
Honestly though, I'm trying to think back to some controverial goal line calls with Emmitt and I'm drawing a blank. Any specifics you can think of?
It's like trying to remember which of Michael Irvin's outfits was most ridiculous: it's such a rich legacy...

All I can say is that I'm so glad his record for TDs in a season has since been eclipsed. I anxiously await the day he's no longer the overall career rushing leader.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Onto the playoffs!!

The coaching carosel is definately an interesting watch this year... Mike Martz to the Saints anyone? Yep, that's the talk. Martz to the Saints and coching up Matt Leinhart at the #2 pick.

Makes sense for Houston to trade down for the "build the team of a lifetime" picks. Dallas built a dynasty from just the Herchel Walker trade alone. Besides D. Davis is a decent back.
The 3rd pick is Tennesee with McNair making a convincing call to Vince Young to come out so The Titans can draft him and Mac can mentor his football son. If not look for the Titans to pick Ferguson from Virginia, or Deangelo Williams.

Looks like Mike Tice got paged by the GM in the middle of his victory speech. Unclassy, but kinda funny.

The Falcons suck...they didn't just quit on Mora Jr, they never showed up! Yeah last game of the year, out of the playoffs and all that, but The Eagles showed up against Washington, The Browns did too. Plus, when you're team hasn't had back to back winning seasons in 40 years then it is an important win. In the offseason, please address the defense especially the light in the ass D-linemen, the no hitting safeties, and the non-pass blocking O-linemen. Also please address the fact that Vick is NOT progressing! The very next time I see him throw a pass before the reciever makes his cut will be the 1st time. It's called the west coast offense...timing my good man...timing. Maybe a new OC is easier to make happen, Knapp isn't impressing me at all....especially not on 3rd & 4th down.

Mr Clarett, get it together!! Is it me, or does it seem like running backs get in more off the field/off-season/retired legend shit than any other position? When in doubt Mr C, call Lawrence Phillips and ask him about fading to black.

I bet I'm not the only one that see's that Dom Capers could be a better D coordinator than the one they have now.. "Mr Capers, Ron Wolf on line 2..."

Hey did anyone see the emergance of Troy Smith of Ohio State this past weekend....408 total yards!!! Um....wasn't that supposed to be Brady Quinn's party? Looks like Mr AJ Hawk had something to say about that.....and who the new man of the family is!

Last edited by meccajay; 01-03-2006 at 01:05 PM..