Old 01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Wistown42
Mike Sherman was fired today and all i have to say is thank god! i just hope that Favre doesnt retire because of this. I was at the game last night and it seemed as if it was Favre's last game, but its obvious that he can still play at a high level.

Hopefully the Packers will do the smart thing and either promote D cordinator Jim Bates or go out and hire Steve Mariucci.
In six years, Mike Sherman won three consecutive division titles, and I believe took his team to the playoffs as a wild card in another.

That kinda looks like Mike Sherman got fucked royally in the ass, to me. If anyone should have been given another chance out of all other fired coaches, I think Sherman is it.

He totally did not have the tools to win this season, and lost so many players due to injury this year that he was picking up scrubs off the street to play running back. I feel bad for him, and hope he or Mike Martz gets the job in New Orleans or Minnesota, and helps rebuild a franchise. He's a good coach.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I'll do a quick mock draft of mine:

1. Houston- Reggie Bush(unless they trade down, which they should/probably will. But if they don't, they won't take Ferguson)
2. New Orleans- Matt Leinart
3. Tennessee- D'Brickashaw Ferguson
4. New York Jets- DeAngelo Williams
5. Green Bay- AJ Hawk
6. Oakland- Mario Williams
7. San Francisco- Jimmy Williams
8. Buffalo- Haloti Ngata
9. Detroit- Mathias Kiwanuka
10. Arizona- Vince Young(if he comes out)
11. St. Louis- Vernon Davis
12. Cleveland- Demeco Ryans
13. Baltimore- Michael Huff
14. Philadelphia- Chad Greenway
15. Atlanta- Laron Landry
16. Miami- Jay Cutler
17. Minnesota- Lendale White
18. Dallas- Winston Justice
19. San Diego- Ko Simpson
20. Kansas City- Santonio Holmes
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I think Laurence Maroney will be picked somewhere in the top 20, and maybe before DeAngelo Williams.

I'm wondering if the Jets are thinking about Vince Young, or if they will try to get some veteran to compete with Pennington again. If Vince goes to Arizona, I think he may become a bust, I just don't think Dennis Green is getting the job done in Arizona, and that Josh McCown should have evolved into a quasi-decent player by now, not some 350 yard passer that doesn't throw 250 of those until the team is down by three touchdowns.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jamal Lewis' replacement be drafted, and it possibly being Williams, White, or Maroney.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Interesting...

There's no way that there are 9 players taken before Vince Young. Even teams that draft for specific needs always say they want the best player on the boards at the time. Vince is the 1st or second best football player in this draft. Yes he'll need to sit for a year, but no one can afford to pass on talent like that.

Other than that those are pretty good draft choices.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Predictions.

AFC

Steelers over Bengals

Patriots over Jaguars

NFC

Panthers over Giants

Bucaneers over Redskins
Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I agree with Space Puppet's predictions. The possible exception for me would be the Bengals/Steelers game. I think Cincinnati could pull off an upset.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Those are my picks too. It's almost a fact that those teams are gonna win.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meccajay
Interesting...

There's no way that there are 9 players taken before Vince Young. Even teams that draft for specific needs always say they want the best player on the boards at the time. Vince is the 1st or second best football player in this draft. Yes he'll need to sit for a year, but no one can afford to pass on talent like that.

Other than that those are pretty good draft choices.
Vince has worse accuracy at this point than Vick, and isn't as quick. He'll probably need to sit for at least 2 years and need a VERY good QB coach and a good teacher, like Steve McNair or Kurt Warner maybe.

My playoff picks:
AFC:
Bengals over Steelers
Patriots over Jaguars

Patriots over Colts
Bengals over Broncos

Patriots over Bengals

NFC:
Panthers over Giants
Redskins over Bucs(unless the refs decide to give another game to the Bucs)

Panthers over Seahawks
Bears over Redskins

Panthers over Bears

Super Bowl:
Panthers over Patriots
MVP: Jake Delhomme
Old 01-04-2006, 03:42 PM
I am 100% sure the Colts will win it all. I would bet all I had on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by leafboy
I am 100% sure the Colts will win it all. I would bet all I had on it.
Being 100% sure of anything in the NFL means you've got a 99% chance of being completely wrong.

The NFL playoffs are so great because it's one and done with only the best teams in the league coming to the table.

Nothing is ever guranteed because you don't know what's going to happen with injuries. Manning, Harrison, or Edge go down even if it's only a game long injury would change the entire complexion of the playoffs. Plus, momentum is very key going into the playoffs. As far as the AFC goes, I'd rank the momentum of the teams as followed:

1. Steelers
2. Broncos
3. Patriots
4. Jaguars
5. Colts
6. Bengals

The Colts have just about no momentum going into the playoffs, and I think they are, as Mike Vanderjagt would say, "Ripe for the picking." However, if they can get buy their first game, then I THINK they will go all the way. Unfortunately, I think that first game is going to be against the Steelers, and that's the team the no one wants to play right now. Then again, if it's the Patriots the Colts play, that's probably not much better for them.

People can call me biased because I'm a Patriots fan, but I sincerely believe from the most impartial stance I can take. The Patriots are very banged up this year, but fully healthy, they are still the best team in the league. The Colts beat a watered down Pats team earlier this year, they did not get over the hunt. That's like Manning trotting out a bunch of high school kids in Patriot jerseys, and beating them to get over this so called hump. The Colts still can't beat a healthy Patriots team. Granted, we won't see that team again this season, but next season, all the Patriot haters out there have to realize that the Patriots will be right in the mix next year... provided they can find a way to keep themselves (and namely there secondary) healthy. I think the addition of Ty Law in the offseason will help us.

And a quick note on something 2005 draft related. When the Offensive Rookie of the Year was announced today, I was pleased to see the Patriots Logan Mankins finished fourth, a very good spot for an offensive linemen to finish. I think all those so called ESPN "experts" that laughed at this pick last year, claiming the pick came completely out of left field, and that it was such a questionable pick, etc. etc. should just shut the hell up when the Patriots draft this year. Sorry to inform ESPN, but Scott Pioli is the best judge of talent in the NFL. That said, something tells me he knows a hell of a lot more about what makes a good football player than Tom Jackson, Michael Irving, or Mel Kiper.

With that said, this year's draft should be interesting. I know everyone is jumping on the Vince Young bandwagon right now after tonight's game, but Reggie Bush should still be the number one pick overall. He's the best college football player I've ever seen, and I see him being right there on the same level with Tomlinson within two seasons, possibly even surpassing Tomlinson as the best back in the league. Young was impressive tonight in the Rose Bowl, but I wasn't convinced. NFL linebackers aren't going to completely miss tackles like USC did tonight. Young reminds me of a mix of three players. He has the run first mentality of Mike Vick, the build and mechanics of a Daunte Culpepper, and an overall style similiar to that of Randall Cunningham. Run first QBs never win Super Bowls. In fact, run first QBs aren't really QBs at all, there glorified running backs like Mike Vick. Young, to me, appears to have better passing abilities than Vick (although that's not saying much) and I believe he will end up being a good QB in this league. Not a great one, but a good one like a Donovan McNabb for instance, but the number one pick has to be Bush.

While I'm on the topic, I thought I'd jump ahead a little in looking at the next NFL season. I know the playoffs are coming, and like all of you, I can't wait. But I feel like now is the perfect time to give to you my wishlist for the 2006-2007 NFL season. Here are the top 5 things I hope happen for next season:

5. I hope those few blind men stop trying to convince me the NFC is a better conference than the AFC? Seriously, are these people even watching the games?

4. I hope Brett Favre returns to the Packers. I love watching Favre play, and he's still got all the tools to succeed. The bad stats this here can be contributed to all the injuries the Packers suffered.

3. I hope the NFL season can go on without any incident from Terrell Owens. The guy just needs to shut his mouth.

2. I hope the New Orleans Saints find a semi-permanent place to stay. At least somewhere they can play all their games next year. That city and those players have been through hell this year, and they deserve to have something go their way.

1. And finally, I hope hope hope hope hope that every analyst out there finally gets a clue that Mike Vick SUCKS!!!!! It's true. Why is it that Mike Vick gets four or five years to prove he can actually throw the football when most other QBs get two to three tops. Before the argument was always that Vick always wins. Really? Well, after this season, I guess that argument is out the window. What else do the Vick supporters got for me? I think Rush Limbaugh was right a few years ago when he said the media is just dying to have there be a good black QB that they try to force feed it to us. He just had the wrong guy. McNabb gets the shaft from the media, and he is a very good QB. Vick is the one the media wants us to love, but finally, more people are starting to wisen up, and realize that he's just simply not good. I will make gurantee here and now. So long as Vick is the QB for the Falcons, they will NEVER EVER win a Super Bowl. And on a side note on the race issue, I have one problem with it. Why is it that in all the commercials (Take the SI commerical) the one supporting Vick as a great QB is always a black person? It seems to me these commercials are drawing racial lines in the sand themselves when they seem to imply that only black people can like Mike Vick when that is clearly not the case at all. I'm white, and I think Vick is a horrible black QB. Because of his abilities, not because he is black. However, the media would have you believe that you are a racist because you do not like Vick. You must be racist not to be entertained by all the shifty moves he can make on a field. Well, the truth is I am entertained. It's just that I thought the purpose of football was winning, and that the purpose of a QB was to throw the ball. You have running backs to run the ball. And furthermore, the truth is that the media should not make white males such as myself feel like we're racist for not liking a shitty QB. I think McNabb is a top 5 QB. I think McNair was a very good QB in his prime. I think Vick sucks. And I think Culpepper was a creation of Randy Moss more than a talent. However, to be fair, I think Chris Simms, Kerry Collins, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, and Kyle Boller are also sucky ass QBs so it's all equal opportunity where I'm concerned.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 AM
Predictions.

AFC

Steelers over Bengals

Patriots over Jaguars

NFC

Panthers over Giants

Redskins over The Bucs

Man I hope the Pats go for it all again this year!!!! GO PATS!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 AM
Some thoughts for The Mack...

I'm not getting into a political argument here, but...if you endorse Rush Limbaugh, you immediately cut yourself off from a serious conversation about race and football.

In the wider argument, I think you're wrong, but most of your points are reasonable and arguable, but you really should not be endorsing, even obliquely, that fat, Oxycontin-hooked racist motherfucker.

Like I asked before: does Mike Vick play defense? Does he kick? Did he miss the potential game winning FG the week TB eliminated them? No. He had a rough year, as did his team. End of story.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SpacePuppet
Predictions.

AFC

Steelers over Bengals

Patriots over Jaguars

NFC

Panthers over Giants

Bucaneers over Redskins
My picks, exactly.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
Vince has worse accuracy at this point than Vick, and isn't as quick. He'll probably need to sit for at least 2 years and need a VERY good QB coach and a good teacher, like Steve McNair or Kurt Warner maybe.

This was posted before he won the Rose Bowl, so I'll let it slide. Care to retract anything?

If he declares himself elligible, he won't go lower than 3. He could start for at least 3 NFL teams in his current state, and probably bring better results than they had this year. Did you hear Ronnie Lott (a former USC Trojan)? He said Young is the best QB coming out of college he's EVER seen. Ever. And Lott would know.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=Patriots+ring/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=132l3h75o/EXP=1136567144/*-http%3A//cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Site_Graphic/2004/06/14/1087223268_2177.jpg[/IMG]
Bring home another one of these.

Go Pats!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
I'm not getting into a political argument here, but...if you endorse Rush Limbaugh, you immediately cut yourself off from a serious conversation about race and football.

In the wider argument, I think you're wrong, but most of your points are reasonable and arguable, but you really should not be endorsing, even obliquely, that fat, Oxycontin-hooked racist motherfucker.

Like I asked before: does Mike Vick play defense? Does he kick? Did he miss the potential game winning FG the week TB eliminated them? No. He had a rough year, as did his team. End of story.
Perhaps Rush Limbaugh is a racist. I personally don't follow the guy too much so I won't make a statement on that. However, I don't believe the statement he made a couple of years ago on TV was a racist one. If Tom Jackson had made that same comment or Mike Wilbon, there would have been no reaction at all. Has our society gotten so bad that no person of caucasian descent can say anything negative about any person of color? Yet, in turn, a person of color can say anything they damn well want about anyone at all. For example, I hear all the time about affirmative action in the NFL. Theirs not enough black coaches in the NFL, theirs not enough black QBs because they have a stigma of being run first QBs. As for the QB situation, fine, but why doesn't it work in reverse. Why aren't the activists for affirmative action making sure there are more white RBs in the NFL, and more white WRs? Why is that completely overlooked, and not bothered with? The answer is simple really. Because as a society, we do not want equal rights for people of all colors. We wants the rights of the minorities in this country to supercede that of anyone else, and the NFL is a perfect example of this. Now, that will be my last political statement for this topic as I would like to address Mike Vick specifically.

Mike Vick is supposedly so great, right? Okay. Let's look at his numbers compared to that of two QBs whose jobs are very much in jeopardy.

Vick - 55.3% Comp. Percentage, 2412 yards passing, 15 TDs, 13 INTs with a QB rating of 73.1

Brooks - 55.7% Comp. Percentage, 2882 yards passing, 13 TDs, 17 INTs with a QB rating of 70.0

So, Brooks is fairly comparable to Vick passing the ball. But let's look at one more QB, David Carr of the lowly Texans.

Carr - 60.5% Comp. Percentage, 2488 passing yards, 14 TDs, 11 INTs with a QB rating of 77.2

Vick rushed for 597 yards this season on 102 attempts for an average of 5.9 yards per carry.

Carr rushed for 308 yards on only 56 attempts for an average of 5.5 yards per carry.

Those stat lines show two very similiar QBS so I ask why is Mike Vick hailed as one the truly great QBs in the league while Carr is supposedly a bum. I assure you that Mike Vick has a hell of a lot more weapons than David Carr does.

You argue that Vick doesn't play defense, or kick, etc. Well, that it correct. Tell me though, why is it that when the Falcons win, it's all about Mike Vick. And when they lose, it's all about everyone but Mike Vick. It's time to face the facts people. The Falcons got where they were last year on the back on Warrick Dunn. He's the best player in Atlanta, not Mike Vick.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mack
Perhaps Rush Limbaugh is a racist. I personally don't follow the guy too much so I won't make a statement on that. However, I don't believe the statement he made a couple of years ago on TV was a racist one. If Tom Jackson had made that same comment or Mike Wilbon, there would have been no reaction at all. Has our society gotten so bad that no person of caucasian descent can say anything negative about any person of color?
He didn't just criticize McNabb, he claimed that writers had blown him up in a purposeful effort to make him look like something he wasn't. This was after McNabb had won the MVP award and had lodged the kind of success that you are demanding from Vick. Criticizing a player is one thing, even saying you're jacked up by favorable writers is okay, but when he essentially says that you're a bum and only have what you have (when you've manifestly and obviously earned it on the field) because you're black...and he has a track record (like telling a black caller to "take the bone out of your nose")...I'm sorry, but that makes him a racist. Limbaugh has a track record and he can't pass muster for anyone who knows it.

If you go back a year or so into the archives here, you will find me writing reams of praise for Dunn, Duckett, the defense and trying my Goddamnedest to make the case that the Falcons are a well rounded team, much more than just Mike Vick. I invite you to look that up if you doubt me. Anyone who doesn't appreciate Dunn is blind. And anyone who calls David Carr a bum is an idiot. He's a highly talented QB who just needs some help if he isn't to wind up like Archie Manning and Steve Bartkowski.

All of these paradigms you write about ("Tell me though, why is it that when the Falcons win, it's all about Mike Vick. And when they lose, it's all about everyone but Mike Vick.") seem to exist only in your mind. There's a big chorus of people in the sports media (that increasingly tiresome asshole Wilbon, among them) who seem to expect Vick to lead an undefeated team every year, rush for 4,000 yards and throw for 10,000, and are on him all the time when he falls short of that level.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 01-05-2006 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SpacePuppet
[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=Patriots+ring/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=132l3h75o/EXP=1136567144/*-http%3A//cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Site_Graphic/2004/06/14/1087223268_2177.jpg[/IMG]
Bring home another one of these.

Go Pats!

ohhh yess....Ohhh YESSS
Old 01-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nachokoolaid
This was posted before he won the Rose Bowl, so I'll let it slide. Care to retract anything?

If he declares himself elligible, he won't go lower than 3. He could start for at least 3 NFL teams in his current state, and probably bring better results than they had this year. Did you hear Ronnie Lott (a former USC Trojan)? He said Young is the best QB coming out of college he's EVER seen. Ever. And Lott would know.
Ronnie Lott is nuts. And I won't retract it. Vince was in the shotgun about 80 percent of the time last night if not more, and USC BARELY blitzed. Add to the fact that Vince was either running in a wide open space because of his O-Line or the fact that every defensive player on USC forgot how to tackle, and I don't think I saw him complete a pass longer than about 15 yards. I'd take Matt Leinart in a heartbeat(although that last play was absolutely moronic, should have done a hook and lateral).

The two players who impressed me were LenDale White for USC and Michael Huff for Texas.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Ronnie Lott is nuts. And I won't retract it. Vince was in the shotgun about 80 percent of the time last night if not more, and USC BARELY blitzed. Add to the fact that Vince was either running in a wide open space because of his O-Line or the fact that every defensive player on USC forgot how to tackle, and I don't think I saw him complete a pass longer than about 15 yards. I'd take Matt Leinart in a heartbeat(although that last play was absolutely moronic, should have done a hook and lateral).
Well would you say that Ohio State plays good defense?

I'd say so, but Vince beat them, and he did it with the pass....A beautiful 24yarder to Sweed in the endzone. Ohio State played good D against him that day too, and they blitzed like crazy! In fact they picked him twice, so it's not like Vince is throwing to wide open recievers only. He goes thru progrssions like crazy, and has catches by half a dozen different recievers in each game.
The kid has poise, real poise, you saw it last night Im sure. He's like a bigger stronger faster Randall Cunningham with focus, and a true winner!

As far as the shotgun, if he leaves now, he may be under the guidance of McNair & Norm Chow, or maybe even Dan Reeves in Houston, so they'll let him develop for a year or so while holding a clipboard - problem solved.

"Obviously he's a great runner," Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk said. "Tonight he showed us he's a great passer."

Last edited by meccajay; 01-05-2006 at 05:15 PM..
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Quote:

The two players who impressed me were LenDale White for USC and Michael Huff for Texas.
I wouldn't so much say "forgot how to tackle" as "juked out of jock." He made them look bad, but it wasn't their fault. It happened in 12 other games too this year, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

I get a Ryan Leaf vibe from Leinart (especially with his post game comments).

And Ronnie Lott is nuts, in the best way. Any guy that severely breaks a finger during game, and tells them just to chop it off so he could keep playing is one guy that I respect in football terms, and I trust his opinion.

LenDale White was impressive though, and if he comes out, I'm sure he'll be drafted in the top 10 too.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Quote:
I get a Ryan Leaf vibe from Leinart (especially with his post game comments).
Maybe he's Todd Marinovich, cosmetic surgically altered
Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Not only did Parcells not retire, he signed an extension. Yes!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:23 AM
NFL Wildcard Playoff Predictions:

I went 9-2 last year in the playoffs picking the games. This year, I'm finding far more difficult to pick the winners, especially this week. If these matchups play out as they should, I think we're in for an exciting weekend of NFL action. But here's the way I see the first weekend going.

AFC:

Jacksonville Jaguars at New England Patriots

The Jaguars have said they believe they can rattle Tom Brady. Ummm...okay. Whatever you guys say. He's only won three Super Bowls, but I'm sure the big, bad Jaguars will really scare Brady. The Jaguars have to realize these are the Patriots. Not the Browns, Texans, Titans, or 49ers, all teams the Jaguars have beaten in recent weeks to pad their record. The Jaguars have given up major points against three of those teams as well. There soft schedule will cost them this week at Foxboro. No way the defending champs lose one in there house, especially to a team like the Jags.

Prediction: Patriots

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals

The playoffs are all about momentum, and no one is hotter than the Steelers right now. I think the Bengals will come to play. If anyone can play the no respect card this weekend, it's not the Patriots. It's the Bengals. Last time these teams met, the Bengals won, but only because the Steelers didn't play their game. Carson Palmer will be fine in this game so that's not an issue. Big Ben has the experience now though, and I expect a much better performance out of him this week. The Steelers will run the ball against a poor Cincy rush defense. That will lead them to a victory this weekend.

PREDICTION: Steelers

NFC:

Washington Redskins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I did not like the way Washington looked last week against Philly. Then again, I don't like Chris Simms going into this game, and I don't think Cadillac Wiliams can be counted on for a big game. Then again, I don't really like Brunell either. Portis is probably the only reliable guy on either offense. That said, this game won't be about the offense. It's about the defenses. They say defense wins championships. In weighted defense, the Redskins have the thrid best defense in the league, Tampa the 15th. For those who don't know, weighted defense takes into account how a team is playing right now. Unweighted, Tampa is 21st and Washington 28th. So, it's sort of a toss up. Tampa has played better when taking the whole year into account. But Washington has played much better defense lately. I think Chris Simms is more apt to make a big mistake than Brunell is. Then again, Tampa has the best rush defense in the league this year so Brunell would have to win the game with his arm. I'm torn on this one. My gut leans towards Tampa Bay, but I like to pick in the playoffs by taking all the variables into account. For this reason, I'm taking Washington to win a close one although I won't be surprised if Tampa wins.

PREDICTION: Washington

Carolina Panthers at New York Giants

This is the game of the weekend IMO. The NFC is so wide open this year that it's making the playoffs tough to call, especially in the first round. I like Jake Delhomme more than I like Eli Manning in this game. I like Barber better than I like Foster. Steve Smith is the best pass catching threat on the field, but I like the Giants weapons as a whole more than I like Carolina's. I think the Giants are the better team on offense. Both teams have good pass rushes, but I like Carolina's a little better. Carolina definitely has the better LB group. Too many injuries for the Giants there. And actually, I like Carolina's secondary better as well. So, Carolina is the better team on defense. I've been back and forth on this one all week especially when you consider the Giants are 8-1 at the Meadowlands this season. But, I guess that means they can be beat there. In the end, I think Carolina's experience, and superior coaching will win them the game. The main thing that worries me though is if Carolina can hold a lead if they get it. Deshaun Foster is not the type of back that can get the tough yards. Hopefully Nick Goings can get the job done for Carolina. Otherwise, the defense better be ready to step up big time.

PREDICTION: Carolina
Old 01-07-2006, 01:25 AM
One thing I'd like to point out about everyone picking the Steelers is that they only beat the Lions by 14, and it was much closer than that for most of the game. And Big Ben played like crap too, and Harrington played great. Just to point that out(since the Lions blow).
Old 01-07-2006, 10:28 AM
I was looking at the head coach openings latnight, and the canidates for the positions. Taking each team's needs into account, this is the way I think it should play out. I wonder what other people, especially any fans of these teams think.

Lions: Gary Kubiak, Offensive Coordinator, Denver Broncos. He has deserved a job for a long time. The fact that he worked with Elway can only mean good things when tutoring Joey Harrington or a young QB they might draft. Denver usually has a solid defense so Kubiak knows what it takes on the defensive side of the ball to win. I know Russ Grimm is rumored to be the leading canidate, but he's an offensive line coach. I believe Mike Tice was as well before becoming the Vikings head man, and Tice took too long to become even a competent head coach in the league.

Green Bay: Sean Payton, Asst. Head Coach, Dallas Cowboys. Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Charlie Weis, and Romeo Crennel all have ties to Bill Parcells. Sean Payton is the next Parcells prodigy who could do big things in the coaching world, and what better place for him to start than with the legendary Packers. I don't care how the move affects Brett Favre's decision. You can not cater to a QB who has one or two more years in him tops.

Houston Texans: Scott Linehan, Offensive Coordinator, Miami Dolphins. I'm usually one for hiring defensive minded coaches to be the head man, but in this situation, the Texans did someone who can come in there, and shape this offense up, namely the offensive line. Linehan helped Miami's offense look very good this year, and we all saw how Minnesota did without him. Again, Russ Grimm would definitely shape up the Texans O-line, but I don't think he'd find much success after this. Culpepper and several other Vikings said earlier in the year that if Tice was fired, they wanted Linehan to be the head man so that shows his players respect him, something I don't think Dom Capers ever really had. The Texans need a guy who is going to rebuild in the draft and free agency. A guy who isn't going to take a RB or a WR or a LB so it's a sexy pick. They need a guy willing to go grab a LT or a RG, and make it so that David Carr has a chance. Linehan is that guy.

Kansas City Chiefs: Herm Edwards, Head Coach, New York Jets. This is about as good as done. I don't get why the Chiefs would bring on a guy like Edwards, who has a losing record as a head coach into the mix. That said, he's the only defense oriented coach on their list right now, and the Chiefs need that badly.

Minnesota Vikings: Brad Childress already named Head Coach. Didn't like this move at all. They should have brough Linehan in or Mike Sherman. Childress didn't even call the plays half the time with the Eagles.

New Orleans Saints: Tim Lewis, Defensive Coordinator, New York Giants. The last defensive coordinatorfrom the Giants to get a head coaching gig was John Fox, and that worked out okay. Lewis has kept a defensive that has needed to sign LBs off the street this year in tact, and playing well. I believe he can get the Saints to finally play up to their potential.

Oakland Raiders: Jim Fassell, Offensive Coordinator, Baltimore Ravens. Fassell has been to a Super Bowl, and was unfairly fired by the Giants. Fassell will put good people around him, and have the Raiders competitive next year, and in playoff contention the following.

St. Louis Rams: Ron Rivera, Defensive Coordinator, Chicago Bears. That St. Louis offense is a well oiled machine, but defensively, they still need to get it together. Rivera is the man leading the best defense in the league right now so I think he knows what he's doing, and would be a great fit for the Rams.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Quote:
One thing I'd like to point out about everyone picking the Steelers is that they only beat the Lions by 14, and it was much closer than that for most of the game. And Big Ben played like crap too, and Harrington played great. Just to point that out(since the Lions blow).
True. The Steelers did only beat the Lions by 14. But, have you forgotten the fact that the Bengals didn't beat the Buffalo Bills at all just a couple of weeks ago? And like the Lions, the Bills...well, they blow too.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't doubt Vince Young's athletic skills at all, but did you guys notice in the big game how many balls he was throwing to his receivers that were so low they had to drop down to their knees to catch them?

Also about Vince, he will be a turnover machine in the NFL. When you've got three guys pulling you down, you don't reach up and try to throw the ball and make a play. You tuck it in like Tom Brady and take the sack.

He will be a faster version of Daunte Culpepper, minus the strong arm.

My prediction is that DJ Shockley from Georgia will wind up being one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL out of this draft class. (if he comes out, not sure if he's a senior or not...) That man has one hell of an arm, and yes, I think he could throw the football over them mountains.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Marcus Vick just declared himself elligible for the NFL draft. Where do you think he'll be taken, if at all?

I'm thinking fourth round, perhaps.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Marcus Vick just declared himself elligible for the NFL draft. Where do you think he'll be taken, if at all?

Not being drafted is not even a possibility. As I said in an earlier post, fourth round, maybe third if he gets lucky.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm watching the Skin/Bucs game, and I'm not believing this.

On the Arrington pick, he fumbled the ball back to TB. The refs missed the call, and Wash. scored 7.

Then, Cadillac fumbles, it gets picked up, but you clearly see Cadillac's leg hit him, so he's down by contact. Not according to the refs though, so it's 14-0, when it should be 0-0.

I hate crappy officiating. This is an important game, and TB is 14 in the hole because of the refs. That's a shame for them.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Arrington looked sort of down to me.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Quote:
I'm watching the Skin/Bucs game, and I'm not believing this.

On the Arrington pick, he fumbled the ball back to TB. The refs missed the call, and Wash. scored 7.

Then, Cadillac fumbles, it gets picked up, but you clearly see Cadillac's leg hit him, so he's down by contact. Not according to the refs though, so it's 14-0, when it should be 0-0.

I hate crappy officiating. This is an important game, and TB is 14 in the hole because of the refs. That's a shame for them.
AHHH!!! What the fuck is going on?

Brunell just fumbled and TB recovered for a TD, and Mike Carey called it an incomplete pass!!!

Does everyone realize it should be 7-0 Bucs? And instead, it's 14-0 Skins. WTF?!?!

Is it coincidence that everytime there's a questionable call that might go in the Skins favor, they let the play go, but if it would favor the Bucs, they quickly blow the whistle and say down by contact, or incomplete pass, or whatever. This is starting to get embarrasing for the league. I' sure the news next week will be how the NFL sent an apology to Jo Gruden and the Bucs organization.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Tampa Bay deserves it. They have been handed 2 games on a silver platter(Detroit and Washington). And the best player in this game was ejected, so there's the even of it.

Last edited by brodeurnumber1; 01-07-2006 at 06:57 PM..
Old 01-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Final score to that game should have been 10-3, Bucs. Terrible.

Washington just set the record for the fewest total yards by a winning team in the playoffs.

Their performance can easily be summed up.

Bleh!

Bucs really did deserve that one. I haven't seen a team dominate for a whole game like that and lose since the Cowboys lost to the Redskins in Week 2.

Well, Go Jaguars, even though I picked the Pats to win.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Tampa didn't dominate that game. All they did on offense was throw 5-8 yard passes all day long, that's not dominating. Tampa had plenty of opportunities to overcome the calls(although I don't really disgaree with either).
Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 AM
So...are we going to get another lecture about how criticizing the officials means you're an Unknowledgable Fan™ or is that just for me?

As far as the game itself...That wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. Especially after that farce with Alstott in the regular season. I happen to think those were all rather good calls and I also think that slapping a guy with an open palm, even if it's in retailiation for being spit on, is an offsetting 15 yard penalty, too (something I've heard exactly no one say, anywhere.)

Having said that, I know how pissed you can get if you think you got hosed, so...I understand.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Quote:

Man marcus is sorry. And the sad thing is I am a VT Fan! He has a long long long long long way to go to even win respect back from me. lol well anyways Im thinking fourth round as well.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Anyone else fall asleep during the Pats/Jags game? God, that was boring.

And at I'm pulling for the Seahawks next week. I hope my boy Babineaux wins the game for them like he did against the Cowboys earlier in the season. It will give me a little more incentive to enjoy the game.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Anyone else fall asleep during the Pats/Jags game? God, that was boring.
As a Pats fan, I rather enjoyed the game myself.

That said, next week, no matter how the Cincy/Pitt game turns out today, will be a much tougher test for the Patriots. Hopefully, I'll be able to hear people complaining about the Patriots well into the early part of February because that would mean we're heading for Detriot. I know the odds are against the Patriots. Really, they have been all year when you consider no one has ever three peated. However, if the Patriots manage to win it all again this year, I would have to think even the most ardent anti-Patriot would have to pay them their respects.

And I agree with what somebody (I forgot who it was) said last night. If the Patriots win this year, they should put Bill Belichick's name on the Super Bowl Trophy along with Lombardi. Personally, I don't think they'll do that while Bill is still coaching, but when he walks away, I think you'll see it happen.

Can't wait for the games today. I was 2-0 yesterday so hopefully I can keep it up with the two road teams winning today.