Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Couple random thoughts about the big games after week 4:

The Bengals sorely miss Odell Thurman. I don't see them going any where without a physical presence against the run. Meanwhile, the Pats look solid so long as they can run the ball. Denver has their number because they have the best, fastest linebackers in the league. Against any other team, Brady plays a Roethlisberger role in that he just manages the game, takes advantage of 3rd and short, and if he needs to do the 2 minute drill, he can.

The Ravens are lucky as hell, but I gotta give it up to them. McNair has this air (no pun intended) about him where if the game is close, they know he can win it. Even if he's playing poorly, they know he'll come through. He's like football's David Ortiz or Derek Jeter: if either of those guys are 0-4, but are up in the bottom of the ninth with a man on, you know what's gonna happen. It's the same with McNair, who looked awful for 58 minutes. As for the Chargers, they were a couple stupid mistakes from being perfect, but I'm still not sold on them. A couple stupid mistakes kept them out of the playoffs last year, so the same could happen this year.

The Redskins are getting into their groove thanks to Clinton Portis. If he's around, that offense is lethal because there is less pressure on Brunell. Defensively, they are awful, so I don' tthink they are contenders yet. The Jags put up 30 points, and in the previous 2 weeks combined they scored 23. That's a terrible secondary. As for the Jags, my thoughts about them haven't changed. They are yet to take the next step to be contenders. They beat teams they're supposed to, but they haven't beaten

The Bears are hands down the best team in the NFC. I know Alexander didn't play, but that defense still destroyed a pro bowl quarterback with 3 very good receivers. Offensively, they picked apart an aggressive defense, and Grossman looks like the truth. If the running game stays on track, they could go to the Super Bowl (as long as they double cover Steve Smith this time)

Lastly, the Monday nighter. The Eagles looked great on D, but it's obvious their offense needs Westbrook as its catalyst. They needed a lot of big plays to get into a rhythym, but they clearly had the Packers overmatched. On another note, I really like Kornheiser in the booth now. He needs to drop the "he's on my fantasy team" running joke. I think his interactions with Theismann are hilarious. Kornheiser makes a joke and Theismann takes him so seriously I can't help but laugh. He doesn't know his football (and he openly admits that and defers to Theismann and Tirico for analysis) but his interactions with the two are great.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Week 4 Analysis-

Cowboys-Titans-Bledsoe, TO and the rest fire on all cylinders while Vince Young keeps wondering "what am I supposed to do??"

Texans-Dolphins-David Carr has one of the best passer ratings in the league and it's finally showing with a trouncing of the once woefully overrated Fins...

Falcons-Cardinals-Warner's trip to the bench gets delayed by one half, and now we will see if Leinert can do any better...

Colts-Jets-As usual, the Jets' opposing defense lets them hang around for too long and make a game out of it, but there is no way Pussington is gonna outgun Peyton...

Bills-Vikings-The Vikes and Brad Johnson finally collapse under the strain of a weekly game schedule, while the Bills are playing better than they should...

Ravens-Chargers-A battle of two tough defenses shows McNair again making enough plays to put them ahead...

Chiefs-49ers-Damon Huard has the best game he has ever played or will ever play while the Niners announce to the world that they still suck...

Panthers-Saints-The Saints are definitely for real based on the way they played, but Carolina has Steve Smith back and should go on a LONG winning streak...

Rams-Lions-This week's "Who Gives A Shit" Bowl sees Bulger outplay Kitna...

Jaguars-Redskins-A major letdown for Jacksonville as Gibbs seems to have all his parts working at a well-oiled pace...

Browns-Raiders-Oakland, Art Shell, and Al Davis make fools of themselves yet again as they lose a close one to the lowly Brownies...

Patriots-Bengals-If there's such a thing as a season-defining win, this is it. If Brady and the Pats can come out like this every week, they are absolutely going to the Super Bowl...

Bears-Seahawks-an absolute asskicking in Chicago, which shows the Hawks are nothing without Shawn Alexander and the piped-in crowd noise of their home stadium...

Eagles-Packers-Let's face it, the refs love the Eags. LOVE THEM. And once the Pack realized that was the case, they just kind of gave up and died on the field...
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
The Seahawks & Packers weren't going to win those games no matter the refs or Alexander...

If Alexander would have played the Seahawks would have played a lot better, but would still have to abandon the run game because for one Alexander has been average when he's played this year, and Seattle could not stop the Chicago offense(Never thought I'd ever hear that, or say it). I know it's not that simple, momentom, and home crowd had something to do with that as well.

The Packers were lucky the Eagles didn't put 50 on 'em!

With the Packers under achieving Ahmad Carroll(who got cut the next day), the Eagles losing 14 points by turning the ball over on the 3 yard line twice, and the Eagles loosing Donte Stallworth, and Reggie Brown to injury. The Pack was lucky to leave Philly alive. The Eagles certainly didn't need ref help.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:34 PM
NFL picks for week 5

Phily over Dallas - What I'm personally cheering for is both teams to beat the hell out of each other and T.O. to get injured by a bunch of pill bottles thrown at him by Eagles fans or someone on the Eagles injures him.

Washington over NY Giants - Shockey instead of running you mouth like you always do and bitch and whine how about your stupid overrated tean play an entire 60 minute game.

Chicago over Buffalo - Thank god my team is on TV so I don't have to watch this game.

Carolina over Cleveland - Carolina is rounding into form while Cleveland is well Cleveland.

New England over Miami -Tom Brady always has problems with the Dolphins secondary, while Dauntee Culpepper just has problems passing to his own recievers.

Minnesota over Detroit - Another year where the Lions suck. How predictable.

Indy over Tennessee - No explanation needed.

St. Louis over Green Bay - Rams could be 3-1 how odd is that.

New Orleans over Tampa Bay - Never take a crappy QB on the road.

Jacksonville over NY Jets - With the first 4 games for Jacksonville to get out of that with a 2-2 record is good for them. I still think they are for real.

Kansas City over Arizona - Damon Huard had the game of his career which will never happen again.

Game Of The Week(yeah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight)
San Francisco over Oakland - ???????????????

San Diego over Pittsburgh - The death nail for the Steelers should they lose this game.

Denver over Baltimore - Just because of Denver's history folling their bye week other than that.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Week 5 Picks

Chicago over Buffalo

Carolina over Cleveland

Minnesota over Detroit

New England over Miami

St. Louis over Green Bay

New Orleans over Tampa Bay

Indy over Tennessee

NYG over Washington

Jacksonville over NYJ

Kansas City over Arizona

San Fransisco over Oakland

Philadelphia over Dallas

San Diego over Pittsburg

Denver over Baltimore
Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Week 5 Picks-

Chicago Bears over Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers over Cleveland Browns

Minnesota Vikings over Detroit Lions

New England Patriots over Miami Dolphins

Green Bay Packers over St. Louis Rams

New Orleans Saints over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Indianapolis Colts over Tennessee Titans

New York Giants over Washington Redskins

Jacksonville Jaguars over New York Jets

Arizona Cardinals over Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders over San Francisco 49ers

Dallas Cowboys over Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers over San Diego Chargers

Baltimore Ravens over Denver Broncos
Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Random Thoughts after week 5:

I give TO about 3 more weeks before punching Drew Bledsoe in the face. Meanwhile, the Eagles' passing attack looks vicious, but they still need a running back who can get first downs on 3rd and 1 and can kill clock in the 4th quarter. Why they didn't go after Stephen Davis is beyond me.

The Colts desperately miss Corey Simon... giving up over 200 yards on the ground to the Titans is inexcusable and they can't get to a Super Bowl in the AFC if they can't even stop the Titans (Rudi Johnson, the Pats' two headed attack, Tomlinson, etc. will eat them alive)

Bears are head and shoulders above every one else in the NFL. Just like the Colts of last year. Remember we all knew the Colts had the best offense in football, then last year they were so dominant for the first 13 games because that offense stayed dominant but all of a sudden they had a great defense? That's what happened in Chicago, but the opposite. They have the highest scoring offense in football.

Matt Leinart is the most NFL ready rookie qb I've ever seen, including Roethlisberger.

Speaking of Roethlisberger, I don't know what to say about the Steelers. Is he really that bad? I feel his injuries have something to do with it because he pulls up on a lot of throws and is afraid of standing in and getting hit, but he's really making poor decisions. I think the lack of Bettis' consistency and Randle El's big play capability makes Ben try and do too much. It's not over yet because there are still questions about the Ravens so the Steelers might slip in to 2nd in that division, but the outlook is grim.

Broncos' defense is incredible. Fastest defense I've ever seen, no question, but Steve McNair is in Baltimore to do 1 thing: NOT MAKE MISTAKES. I don't know what he was thinking in this game (particularly challenging Champ Bailey) but he looked like a rookie. Also, I have to wonder why the Broncos drafted Jay Cutler. This team is great, this defense is world class. They should've taken someone who could help immediately. There were some quality defensive linemen available at 11 (Wimbley, Bunkley, Ngata I believe) that they should've gone for. They could be a Super Bowl favorite this year, but now they have to be behind the Chargers, Colts, Bengals, and Pats.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Some thoughts on week 5

Apparently after the game between the Cowboys and Eagles a stadium worker heard T.O. running into the locker room saying "Why did you sign me for" I have the blow up coming in 4 weeks. I think that whiny piece of shit realizes the difference between McNabb and Bledsoe.

Why do the Giants always play like a superbowl team against the Redskins at home? Or even better why do the Redskins always play like shit against the Giants on the road? This just baffles me.

Or also Michael Irvin if you ever say Dallas is better than the Bears you are the biggest idiot ever. The Bears are clearly the best team in the NFL. Dallas dosen't even make top 5 in the NFC.

I almost lost in my suicide pool this week which I can thank Indy for. If Indianapolis dosen't stop the run soon they won't win this year.

Piitsburgh unless you go on a huge run you are done and I wonder if that bike accident has affected Rosthlisberger this year because he dosen't look right.

Jake Plummer because of his defense is off the hook for now.

I think Edgering James realizes the difference between being a RB in Indy and being a RB in Arizona. Indy has a O-line to block for you the Cards don't.

And I don't think the QB change in Miami is really injury related I think something's up.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
My Picks for Week 6 Games:

Buffalo at Detroit-
Buffalo is in need of a win after that massacre against the Bears and should win this one as long as their QB can out play Joe Kitna.

Carolina at Baltimore-
Despite Monday's loss to the Broncos, I still think that the Ravens are one of the best teams in the AFC and should pull through a close one with the Panthers.

Cinncinatti at Tampa Bay-
Tampa needs a win. I think they can pull one off on the AFCs most overrated team.

Houston at Dallas-
This should be a fairly easy victory for the Cowboys after last week's dissapointment.

Giants at Atlanta-
This one might become a shootout, but I think it'll come down to the running games. I'll take the Giants in a nailbiter.

Philadalphea at New Orleans-
The Eagles come out on top of the Saints.

Seatle at St.Louis-
The big question last week was "Can the Rams challenge the Seahawks for that top spot in the NFC West?", and I think the answer is clearly no and that the 'Hawks will proudly display this in the game which might become a very one sided affair.

Tennesse at Washington-
I don't think the 'Skins have totally collapsed after last weeks game against the Giants, but they need to prove it against Tennesse in a game that they should win.

Kansas City at Pittsburg-
Pittsburg's 3 losses come from very good teams, but once they start losing to bad teams then you know there's no chance for a repeat shot at the SuperBowl. I think the Steelers should come up with a victory here.

Miami at Jets-
The Dolphins are still struggling to prove themselves and I think that they might show that they aren't as pittiful as they seem, and upset the Jets at home.

San Diego at San Francisco-
Even though San Francisco is improving, they're still about as solid as a puddle of water and should get run over by the Chargers.

Oakland at Denver-
Not even a touchdown catch between the knees could pull the Raiders over the Broncos.

Chicago at Arizona-
Da Bears on Monday Night Football? No question, they'll remain unbeaten.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Week 5 Analysis-

Bears-Bills-The best D in the NFL crushes Losem into dust...

Panthers-Browns-a obvious no-brainer win for the Cats over the lowly Brownies...

Vikings-Lions-Childress gets his team back on track against a team managed by Matt Millen...

Patriots-Dolphins-The Pats roll to 4-1 and appear to have their defense focused as Joey Heatherton's losing performance has had WAY too much made out of it...

Rams-Packers-Favre channels Kurt Warner's spirit and fumbles the game away at a crucial moment as the Rams go to a surprising 4-1 start...

Saints-Buccaneers-The Saints go to 4-1 and look to be for real while the Bucs will be lucky to win a game all year...

Colts-Titans-Vince Young leads his team to a shocking near-upset where more Peyton last minute heroics are necessary...

Giants-Redskins-The Jints come back strong to knock off the Skinflutes in the hotly competitive NFC East...

Jaguars-Jets-Pussington fails to put any points on the board as the lowly Jets can't even hang in there this time...

Chiefs-Cardinals-The Cards lose the game but at least find their QB of the future to be now in Leinart...

49ers-Raiders-a big win for San Fran in the "Who Gives A Shit" Bowl Game this week...

Eagles-Cowboys-TO returns to Philly and does next to nothing to avoid taking a big hit while Bleedinghole hands out some more picks...

Steelers-Chargers-It may be time for Big Ben to sit down and let Batch play out the season at QB...

Broncos-Ravens-The Broncs once again have a little help from the refs to pull away from Baltimore and get the win...
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Week 6 Picks

Buffalo over Detroit

Baltimore over Carolina

Cincinatti over TB

Dallas over Houston

Atlanta over NYG

Philly over NO

Seattle over STL

Washington over Tennessee

KC over Pittsburgh

NYJ over Miami

SD over SF

Denver over Oakland

Chicago over Arizona
Old 10-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Week 6 Picks-

Detroit Lions over Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers over Baltimore Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dallas Cowboys over Houston Texans

NY Giants over Atlanta Falcons

New Orleans Saints over Philadelphia Eagles

Seattle Seahawks over St. Louis Rams

Tennessee Titans over Washington Redskins

Pittsburgh Steelers over Kansas City Chiefs

Miami Dolphins over NY Jets

San Diego Chargers over San Francisco 49ers

Denver Broncos over Oakland Raiders

Arizona Cardinals over Chicago Bears
Old 10-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JJFlamingo
Week 6 Picks-

Arizona Cardinals over Chicago Bears
????????????????
Old 10-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Cardinals over Bears is a ballsy pick. I don't see it happening, but I don't think this is gonna be the "welcome to the NFL, rookie"-type moment others are predicting for Leinart. he's too smart and too calm for this to be a blow out. He'll keep the Cards close, they'll probably cover the double digit spread, but win outright?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:09 PM
I cant fucking believe what I just watched.

Grossman turns the ball over 6 times, I declare it the worst game I've seen in years, and the Bears turn around and win it by one point.

Wow. I am speechless right now.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13

Grossman turns the ball over 6 times, I declare it the worst game I've seen in years, and the Bears turn around and win it by one point.

Wow is right. That was awful. I actually kinda feel bad for AZ.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13

I don't believe this, but Charles Barkley, in his short time in the booth, made the most intelligent comments. The Cardinals were way too conservative with Leinart after they got good field possession off turnovers in the 2nd quarter, but they settled for 2 field goals. They really played for field goals too (a pitch on 3rd and 5 in the red zone?) and that's just ridiculous.

Two things were undeniably established in this game:
1) Two weeks ago, ESPN billed the Chargers/Ravens game as a battle of the two best linebackers in the league: Ray Lewis (the current best) and Merriman (the future best who was hoping the torch would be passed). I'd take Urlacher over both of them no question.

2) Matt Leinart is the quarterback of the future for the Cards. It sounds obvious, but there were a lot of questions about his mobility and arm strength and how it would translate into the NFL game. He's smart, accurate, poised, and resiliant (leading his team into field goal range at the end after blowing THAT lead), and that is more important than any physical abilities (see Kyle Boller). I wonder how Oakland fans must feel knowing they took a safety over this guy, who is gonna be a stud for at least a decade.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 AM
It doesn't seem so far-fetched now that the Cards could conceivably beat the Bears. But then again, that's why they play the game.

Matt Leinert is definitely a great QB. And the Cards are developing into a quality team. It's too bad that their kicker is a choke artist. Otherwise, this game would belong to Arizona.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Week 6 Recap:

I went 8-5 on my picks this week and I think with all the close, down to the last minute games the major theme from week 6 is that we all learned how greatly distributed the talent is in the NFL and any team can win any week...

Even Denny Green and the Cardinals. The game WOULD HAVE been the upset of the week, but the Bears D pulls Chicago out of the whole Grossman dug them. Even if it wasn't a loss it was still a reality check, showing that the Bears are not as perfect as they seem and to me look like they wont last long in the playoffs. But it's still early....

The Raiders go into another week of football with nothing to show for the previous 6. This week they face Monday Night's losers, The Cardinals, in a game they might just get lucky in. The Card's might be a little slow to rebound from that centerstage embarassment, especially because this is the THIRD big lead that they've given up this year. If I was Denny Green I'd ship Edge back to Indy in exchange for Vinnatari, because Arizona needs someone extra to come in and win games. James is failing to do that with the Cardinals.

Yeah, Dallas got a win. And Yeah, T.O. caught a touchdown. SO WHAT@! It was against the TEXANS! Do you remember how many catches Santana Moss caught on the Texans?

New Orleans continues to suprise me. I thought for sure that we'd see the Saints brought back down to earth in this one, but instead Philly gets necked out in the fourth quarter and the Saints add some legitimacy to that 1 loss record.

Pittsburg's Back Baby! It's against one of the league's lesser defenses, and a team with an injured starting QB...but still! I think the Steelers have a tough road ahead of them, and in the toughest division in the AFC it'll be hard to recover from a 1-3 start and surpass either the Bengals or Ravens.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Week 6 Analysis-

Lions-Bills-the Lyons get off the snide and humiliates Losem in a preliminary slugfest...

Panthers-Ravens-Funny how once Steve Smith is back then Keyshawn looks like the fuckin MAN...

Buccaneers-Bengals-the Bungles continue their serious slide by falling to a no-name QB and his mates...

Cowboys-Texans-TO contributes by catching 3 TDs but with only 45 yards total as Bledsoe makes mincemeat of Mario Williams...

Giants-Falcons-it's clear now: defenses have Vick ALL FIGURED OUT, and now they'll be lucky to finish 8-8...

Saints-Eagles-the Saints prove they are FOR REAL as the weakass Philly D catches up with them...

Seahawks-Rams-a down to the wire nailbiter that shows the Rams are better than anyone thinks or the Seahawks are worse...

Titans-Redskins-Fisher has his team primed for a mid-season run with Vince Young before fading into mediocrity while Gibbs misses NASCAR...

Steelers-Chiefs-Big Ben finally gets an extended practice session over a team and QB several notches down...

Jets-Dolphins-the "Joey Heatherton is GOOD!" talk dies down as the Fins fail to get past Pussington and the lowly Jets...

Chargers-49ers-Once again the Bolts get a team very much below them as Rivers has developed into a fine QB...

Broncos-Raiders-another embarassment for Art Shell as Shanahannadingdong has to run to the bathroom after it's over...

Bears-Cardinals-if I were Matt Leinert I would be sick right about now as a great performance is ruined by his team giving up around him...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:52 PM
good analysis, Flamingo. Couple comments on your points:

1) The Rams are better than any one thought; that game had nothing to do with the Seahawks being worse (although they miss Alexander). The Rams play smart, pound the ball with Jackson to set up the pass. And Bulger is probably 2nd in the MVP voting right now to McNabb. The guy that nobody trusted with a lead last year has a 10:1 touchdown to interception ratio.

2) The Eagles' D isn't bad. In fact, it's great, but it can be outsmarted, and that's what Brees did. It's a pressure based defense, and if they can't register 1 sack (as was the case against the Saints) because the quarterback gets rid of the ball very quickly and utilizes play action percectly, it's gonna be a long night. But there are only a couple qbs in the NFL with the poise and intelligence of Brees, and thankfully for us Eagles fans, none of them are in the NFC.

3) THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT THAT MIKE VICK SUCKS. I don't know why people blow this guy so much, and to be honest I would never want him on my team. I think there is reason to believe that despite his monster contract, he's not the qb of the future on Atlanta. The Falcons refused to trade Matt Schaub to the Jets for John Abraham, instead sending a first round draft pick, meaning they value a backup qb more than a first rounder. That tells me they are not confident that Vick is their guy, and to be honest, if they cut him (I know they won't any time soon) I don't know what team would pick him up. However, in his defense, I don't know why Atlanta's front office doesn't get more scrutiny for their terrible draft picks. We all bitch about Matt Millen for taking wide receivers in the first round 3 straight years in Detroit (2 of which were busts, the other is the NFL's receiving yards leader so far), but the Falcons used consecutive first round picks on Michael Jenkins and Roddy White (both of whom suck) and no one makes a big deal of this? I don't get it
Old 10-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Picks for week 7

Carolina over Cincinnati - What the hell is wrong with the Bengals losing to Tampa Bay and a no name QB.

NY Jets over Detroit - There you go Lions fans you have your first win and it could be your only win.

Green Bay over Miami - Eck!

Jacksonville over Houston - Now it's Jacksonville's turn to light it up.

New England over Buffalo - Please tell me I'm going to see a 2nd game on either FOX or CBS please and if it's CBS don't fucking simulcast this god damn game.

Philadelphia over Tampa Bay - Not happening 2 weeks in a row

Pittsburgh over Atlanta - Both teams appear to be back where the really are.

San Diego over Kansas City - Damn Huard. I know he's playing well but still.

Denver over Cleveland - Team is for real because of the defense and only the defense.

Arizona over Oakland - Arizona come out looking like they are pissed off while the Raider continue to be pissed on.

Seattle over Minnesota - Hey Minnesota how was your bye week the players didn't go on a boat or anything.

Indianapolis over Washington - No Comment. I can't take this crap anymore. BTW What the hell no Sunday nighter. What bullshit is that.

NY Giants over Dallas - Oh yeah T.O. I'm go great my only catches were in the end zone last week against the worst pass defense. Come on if you were "so great" you would have had 12 catches for 150 yards you selfhish arrogant piece of shit.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Week 7 Picks (provided that no nukes go off... )

Detroit Lions over NY Jets

Green Bay Packers over Miami Dolphins

Pittsburgh Steelers over Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars over Houston Texans

New England Patriots over Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers over Cincinnati Bengals

San Diego Chargers over Kansas City Chiefs

Philadelphia Eagles over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Denver Broncos over Cleveland Browns

Seattle Seahawks over Minnesota Vikings

Indianapolis Colts over Washington Redskins

Arizona Cardinals over Oakland Raiders

Dallas Cowboys over NY Giants
Old 10-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow. Lots of upsets this week. I was surprised to see some of the wins that I saw. Especially Oakland over Arizona and Houston over Jacksonville. But then again, the NFL has been moving toward parity for some time.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mdpuff01
3) THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT THAT MIKE VICK SUCKS. I don't know why people blow this guy so much, and to be honest I would never want him on my team. I think there is reason to believe that despite his monster contract, he's not the qb of the future on Atlanta. The Falcons refused to trade Matt Schaub to the Jets for John Abraham, instead sending a first round draft pick, meaning they value a backup qb more than a first rounder. That tells me they are not confident that Vick is their guy, and to be honest, if they cut him (I know they won't any time soon) I don't know what team would pick him up. However, in his defense, I don't know why Atlanta's front office doesn't get more scrutiny for their terrible draft picks. We all bitch about Matt Millen for taking wide receivers in the first round 3 straight years in Detroit (2 of which were busts, the other is the NFL's receiving yards leader so far), but the Falcons used consecutive first round picks on Michael Jenkins and Roddy White (both of whom suck) and no one makes a big deal of this? I don't get it
ATL 41 PIT 38

You were saying . . .

Vick may not be the best QB in the league, but he's one of the best athletes - and that's why he's dangerous. The reason they didn't trade Matt Schaub is because he's the best backup QB in the NFL, and Michael Vick's way of playing leaves him prone to injury. I'd rather have Schaub than a rookie QB backing Vick up or a rookie DE.

(http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...26id%3d2372568)

Matt Schaub's Falcons contract is almost up (either this year or next - am not sure - notice that ATL picked up DJ Shockley in the last NFL draft) and I can think of a few teams that would love to have him: Miami, Detroit, Oakland, maybe even Tampa Bay - his time will come.

Don't you think you're being a little rough on the young receivers, damn they're no Jerry Rice or Randy Moss - but I don't think they're that bad.

Vick proved today that he can win football games with his arm. And now defenses have a little something more to worry about other than Vick running with it.

Quote:
Giants-Falcons-it's clear now: defenses have Vick ALL FIGURED OUT, and now they'll be lucky to finish 8-8...
You make it sound like they were beat by a bad team . . . the Giants are potential Super Bowl contenders.

Last edited by bigred760; 10-22-2006 at 11:25 PM..
Old 10-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bigred760
[B]ATL 41 PIT 38

You were saying . . .

Vick may not be the best QB in the league, but he's one of the best athletes - and that's why he's dangerous. The reason they didn't trade Matt Schaub is because he's the best backup QB in the NFL, and Michael Vick's way of playing leaves him prone to injury. I'd rather have Schaub than a rookie QB backing Vick up or a rookie DE.

(http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...26id%3d2372568)

Matt Schaub's Falcons contract is almost up (either this year or next - am not sure - notice that ATL picked up DJ Shockley in the last NFL draft) and I can think of a few teams that would love to have him: Miami, Detroit, Oakland, maybe even Tampa Bay - his time will come.

Don't you think you're being a little rough on the young receivers, damn they're no Jerry Rice or Randy Moss - but I don't think they're that bad.

Vick proved today that he can win football games with his arm. And now defenses have a little something more to worry about other than Vick running with it.

You make it sound like they were beat by a bad team . . . the Giants are potential Super Bowl contenders.
This was quite an exciting game right now I would say the game of the year. Pittsburgh just looks odd there's just something about this team that is different than last year.

Now as for Atlanta let me sum this up
1. Q: Is Michael Vick talented?
A: Yes
2. Are the Falcons a good team?
A: Depends this is a team where for 3 years I can't figure out who they really are. Each time they look like they are a decent team that looks like they are turning the corner they go and put up a horrible performance against another team. I still think this team will end up 9-7 because I'm not sure how good this team really is. Sure they put up 41 points on the Steelers but next week they might put up 20 or less and lose that's just how this team has been the past 3 years.

And on the Giants this is a decent team I don't think they are as good as lot of people in the media seem to think but since Tiki Barber plans to retire I guarantee this team starts going down the fucking toilet. The Giants are 1 of few teams where the RB is the clear cut MVP and without Barber this team dosen't have a chance at making the playoffs. Or better yet winning at least 6 games.

Now as for my team I don't fucking get it. This is a team that had the top 5 defense the past 2 years and other than Lavar Arrington and not having Shawn Springs in the lineup this is primarily the same players as last year and they are getting burned by the deep pass over and over I don't get it.

The offense is fine well sort of the Portis injury I think has had an effect on Portis this season slightly and Brunell has been okay but not as good as last year. I think after the bye week maybe we should see what Jason Campbell has not that Brunell has been horrible and deserves to be benched but I think if the Redskins aren't making the playoffs which looks like that could be the case I would like to see what Jason Campbell has and work towards what he future holds like getting a playmaking CB/LB/DE or something.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:20 AM
You're right that the Falcons are very hit or miss. But I don't blame Michael Vick. Last year, our defense - particularly our rush defense - was horrendous and affected the offense's time of possession. Remember: Vick, Dunn, and Crumpler went to the Pro Bowl last year. This year, our defense is better - though injuries have limited its effectiveness (especially versus Pitt). I still think the Falcons can be a 10-11 win team if they can find and keep a groove and/or some consistency.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:50 AM
Quote:
ATL 41 PIT 38

You were saying . . .

That laser beam TD pass to Crumpler to make it 38 all, and then the roll out in OT, (avoiding Polamalu, probably the best solo pursuit guy in the league) and floating a sweet touch pass to Crumpler...those were sublime.

He's got the tools to be a great QB, one who can pass and run alike, but he shouldn't be sat on because of this residual Van Brocklinism among shortsighted coaches and lazy and stupid writers who think running is a sign of weakness in a QB.

Vick's model should be Elway and/or Young (who I happen to know he likes.) He showed that kind of combo of skills today. A lot of us have always known he has them.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 AM
The bottom line is I think Vick's overrated. He's never completed more than 56% of his passes. Over the last 4 years (including this year), his TD/INT ratio is 40/33, which is pretty awful for a $100 million quarterback. It's worse than Jake Plummer's and Aaron Brooks' over that same span; quarterbacks we always blast for making bad decisions. There's no question VIck is a freak athlete and a physical specimen, and his statistics don't completely reflect his impact. But at the end of the day, quarterbacks like that don't win. Yeah, he has a decent winning percentage and went to a conference championship game, but so did Kordell Stewart. I don't deny he has flashes of complete brilliance, but is this 4 touchdown game against a banged up Steelers' D (no Porter, who would be the outside linebacker to Vick's left... you know that's a big difference) make up for the fact that he's a terrible decision maker with an inconsistent arm that holds onto the ball too much (before yesterday he was sacked 18 times in 5 games, more than David Carr)? If you think $100 million is a good investment, you're entitled to your own opinion, but I don't see it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigred760
[B]ATL 41 PIT 38
[b]

No. I'm just asking for consistency. Every one bitches about Matt Millen in Detroit for taking 3 receivers in the first round 3 consecutive years. 2 of them were awful and one of them is leading the league in receiving yards (at least up til yesterday). I know those guys were all top 12 picks or so, but at least one of them turned into a stud. White is a first round pick with 10 catches this season. Jenkins has a mere 16. I just wonder why the Falcons front office hasn't been scrutinized for drafting these bums.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13

Now as for my team I don't fucking get it. This is a team that had the top 5 defense the past 2 years and other than Lavar Arrington and not having Shawn Springs in the lineup this is primarily the same players as last year and they are getting burned by the deep pass over and over I don't get it.
As an Eagles fan I love to see it. I think Washington's problems defensively start up front. Only Oakland and Tennessee have fewer sacks this year. That lack of pressure lets teams air it out, which is why they Skins have given up more passing TDs than any one in the league. If they can't pressure the qb, it doesn't matter how good their secondary is (and it's not that good since it's banged up).

Last edited by mdpuff01; 10-23-2006 at 08:25 AM..
Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mdpuff01
As an Eagles fan I love to see it. I think Washington's problems defensively start up front. Only Oakland and Tennessee have fewer sacks this year. That lack of pressure lets teams air it out, which is why they Skins have given up more passing TDs than any one in the league. If they can't pressure the qb, it doesn't matter how good their secondary is (and it's not that good since it's banged up).
The past couple years they have been using their secondary when rushing the QB a lot but since Springs hasn't been healthy that prevented the Redskins from doing that. But it's not the secondary that's mostly concerning it's giving up 178 rushing yards to Tennessee.

Oh also how did Peyton Manning not get injured in that game I'll never know because the one hit from the 3 Redskins players just almost broke Manning in half.

And nice to know cheap shotting QBs at the knees is still allowed in reference to Hasselbeck getting injured.

Anyway watching tonight's Monday night game and the second game I've watched involving Dallas all year I am convinced that this is the 2nd most overrated team in the league. Bledsoe and Romo were both sitting ducks tonight. Romo made wuite a bit of bad decisions tonight and Bledsoe wasn't much better. They couldn't run the ball and their secondary couldn't do shit tonight.

Oh I also noticed Roy Williams doing the horse collar tackle again which gets no flag. Is that because its legal if only he does it.

Glad Dallas lost looks good on them, ESPN, Michael Irvin, and every idiot expert who keeps overrating this team.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
I agree. I said Washington's problem start up front. They can't stop the run and they can't pressure the quarterback. Not exactly a recipe for success.

I also never understood why Dallas was so hyped up the beginning of the year. Their secondary gives up a lot of big plays (we all remember Monday Night last year against the Skins) and it still persists today. Roy Williams looks lost in pass coverage. Granted, he ran into the umpire on that bomb to Burress, but he didn't have a play on the ball any way because he was out of position. He did the same thing against the Eagles on the flea flicker to Brown. As long as their secondary keeps letting big plays go, their impressive front 7 will be overshadowed.

Offensively, their qbs suck. Period. You have to live with Bledsoe getting beaten up or Romo trying to be Brett Favre but without Favre's arm strength. And for the record, TO is a joke. They showed a stat that he already has 6 drops this year. With 1 exception, all his touchdowns came from inside 5 yards. It's just Parcells throwing him a bone so he can feel important, especially last week. That was the ultimate "shut this asshole up" moment of the year.

As for other games:

Even with a deep receiving core, Seattle is lost without Shaun Alexander. I thought that was the best home field advantage in football but they got bitched yesterday in every aspect of the game. And watching Hutchinson lead that 95 yard TD run must really hurt considering they spent his money on Nate Burleson.

The Colts continue to steamroll inferior competition. Can't say anything about them until after these next two weeks when they play Denver and the Pats.

Speaking of Denver, they need to put up some points. Their defense is great, but it's not historically great to the point where they can hold any team under 15 points. Even great defenses break at some point (Chicago vs. Carolina in the playoffs last year) and they need to be ready because a good team can score 20 on them.

No player has more responsibility than Donovan McNabb. They throw almost 70% of the time and he has no decent receivers. If he has a bad game, they lose because there is no plan B. 3 picks is a bad game.

I said earlier that I didn't understand why people were blowing Jacksonville after week 2. I can't say I expected them to lose to Houston, but it goes to show you that their offense is truly a liability. Might be time for a qb change.

The Chiefs are back in the running. LJ ran for some tough yards against a very physical team and they're on an offensive roll now. If only they can improve defensively...

The Bengals seemed to fix some of their defensive woes. They kept a very hot Carolina team in check. If their defense continues to play like this, they will be Super Bowl contenders.

Oakland won a game! They actually have the top ranked pass defense in the league. I'm sure a lot of that is because teams are usually ahead early and running the ball, but that's still impressive. They finally got some turnovers and gave their offense good field position, something they need because Andrew Walter can't sustain 80 yard drives.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Week 7 Analysis-

Jets-Lions-The Jets have gone 4-2 against one of the softest schedules in the league this year. It's only a matter of time before Pussington faces a REAL defense and gets hurt again...

Packers-Dolphins-Favre shows he can still rally his troops for a win when needed, even if Joey Heatherton has a 400+ yard game...

Falcons-Steelers-Vick finally has a better passing game than throwing albeit against a franchise that's fading fast. I'm not impressed, though. Let's see the Falcs eek out a win against a team that MIGHT make the playoffs, and I'll change my mind...

Texans-Jaguars-From a sensational start, DelRio's team has quickly gone in the shitter. Now with questions about Halfwich's health looming, one has to wonder if the Texans are hitting their stride or if the Jags are falling by the wayside...

Patriots-Bills-Everything's coming together for Belichick and Brady, as the Pats win a game that they are supposed to, and in a blowout as well...

Bengals-Panthers-a good close game that sees the Panthers come up a little short, they should be pissed and ready for next week...

Chiefs-Chargers-Are the Chiefs back? Or are the Chargers just beginning their usual midseason collapse that has become Marty's trademark?? Only time will tell...

Buccaneers-Eagles-Another fading franchise loses out to the no-name QB and his mates, as McSnag has a bad game and the rest of the team go down to Hell with him...

Broncos-Browns-Hard to believe there's still talk of a QB change in Denver. HEY THE SNAKE WON THE GAME, c'mon! Maybe it was against the lowly Brownies, but I don't think Cutler's quite ready yet, hmm?

Vikings-Seahawks-Proof positive that the Hawks ain't shit without Alexander as even the piped-in crowd noise of their home stadium couldn't save them here, and now with Hasselbeck out, expect them to go on a LONG losing streak...

Colts-Redskins-Peyton and his Offensive Machine continue to roll even without a running game, while the Skinflutes don't seem to know which way is up...

Raiders-Cardinals-That casket roaming the sideline must be an implied message from Management to Denny Green...

Giants-Redskins-Bleedinghole oozes himself right out of the game, Romo comes in and impresses with 3 picks, and TO shows that one dropped pass can shift the entire momentum of a game. Seriously though, I feel Parcells pulled the trigger too soon yanking Drew from the game after one (key) pick, and while Romo may be mobile, he's just not GOOD enough to win games for the Cowgirls. But, with pressure from the fans and media as well as having an eye for another prolonged (permanent?) retirement, I think the Tuna doesn't give a shit anymore and is gonna throw out anything that might stick. However as long as the O-line can learn to block this week, I still say that Bledsoe gives them the best chance to win next week in Carolina...

Last edited by JJFlamingo; 10-27-2006 at 06:32 PM..
Old 10-27-2006, 04:48 PM
I look for a lot of upsets this week. Among them:

Denver may upset Indianapolis, seeing how this is a home game and nobody seems capable of cutting through the Broncos defense.

Baltimore over New Orleans - If the Ravens can beat the Saints at home, they could be the real deal...we'll see.

Kansas City over Seattle - Not so much an upset, since several of the Seahawks are injured, including Shaun Alexander and Matt Hasselbeck. Since QB #2 Damon Huard is injured, rookie Brodie Croyle may get his start this weekend. The game could go either way, depending on how he plays.

Minnesota over New England - or not, considering how resurgent New England is and what a soft division the NFC North is. And the Patriots have walked all over their own division. If the Vikings expect to be a contender, they need to be able to make a home stand. This will be a make or break weekend for Minnesota.

Cincinnati over Atlanta - Chad Johnson is talking major smack this week. I look for this one to get ugly. Cincy is due for a comeback and Atlanta isn't solid anywhere on offense. That defense may make Johnson eat his words, though. I think the Bengals can win this one anyway.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeo4
Cincinnati over Atlanta - Chad Johnson is talking major smack this week. I look for this one to get ugly. Cincy is due for a comeback and Atlanta isn't solid anywhere on offense. That defense may make Johnson eat his words, though. I think the Bengals can win this one anyway.
One thing I'll say about this match up is that Cincy has a hard time stopping the run; their defense is weak in that area, and Atlanta leads the league in that category. Chad Johnson may be talking smack but his offense may not have the ball that much if Atlanta runs the ball a lot successfully.

But I am a Falcons fan, so I'm biased .
Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeo4
I look for a lot of upsets this week. Among them:

Denver may upset Indianapolis, seeing how this is a home game and nobody seems capable of cutting through the Broncos defense.

Kansas City over Seattle - Not so much an upset, since several of the Seahawks are injured, including Shaun Alexander and Matt Hasselbeck. Since QB #2 Damon Huard is injured, rookie Brodie Croyle may get his start this weekend. The game could go either way, depending on how he plays.

Actually I think Kansas City, Denver, and Cincinnati are all favored in their games
Old 10-28-2006, 11:59 AM
That wouldn't surprise me in KC's case, seeing the injuries mounting in the Seahawks...but Denver surprises me thoroughly. They have very little offensively to speak of.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Quote:
One thing I'll say about this match up is that Cincy has a hard time stopping the run; their defense is weak in that area, and Atlanta leads the league in that category. Chad Johnson may be talking smack but his offense may not have the ball that much if Atlanta runs the ball a lot successfully.

But I am a Falcons fan, so I'm biased .
I don't know what it is about Chad Johnson, but I'm entertained by all the shit talk.

Anyway, Atlanta impressed me by beating the Steelers. And Cincinnati has been on a slide. But then again, they play the game for a reason. If Cincy can show up on defense, this could be a long day for the Falcons.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Picks for this week

Tennessee over Houston - Maybe the Titans are getting better.

Philadelphia over Jacksonville - Leftwhich is likely out and the team is riddled by injures

Cincinnatti over Atlanta - Will the Falcons start shoqing some consistency. Not likely

NY Giants over Tampa Bay - ????????

Chicago over San Francisco - It's odd this game might be harder than facing the bye week

Green Bay over Arizona - Expect a shootout

Kansas City over Seattle - Never take a crappy QB on the road esecially in Arrowhead

New Orleans over Baltimore - Thank god Brees chose to go here instead of Miami

San Diego over St. Louis - But not by 10 points

Pittsburgh over Oakland - Rostlisberger dosen't need to play this one

NY Jets over Cleveland - With what the Jets have left they could be the worst 10 win team in the league

Indianapolis over Denver - I know Denver is a tough place to play but until you beat Indy

Carolina over Dallas - Oh my god what a surprise the overrated piece of shit team gets another prime time game.

New England over Minnesota - Minnesota has yet to allow 20 points in a game.

Should be some good games to watch since I don't have to have a Buffalo Bils game shoved down my throat for once.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Week 8 Picks-

Houston Texans over Tennessee Titans

Green Bay Packers over Arizona Cardinals

New Orleans Saints over Baltimore Ravens

Chicago Bears over San Francisco 49ers

Kansas City Chiefs over Seattle Seahawks

Cincinnati Bengals over Atlanta Falcons

NY Giants over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jacksonville Jaguars over Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers over St. Louis Rams

Cleveland Browns over NY Jets