Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Leinart will be the starter before the year is over. Heck, he might even start week 1 (Whisenhunt insists no decision has been made). I think at the end of the day, Leinart is a guy who is good at using talent, but when he doesn't have playmakers on his side, he can't do much on his own. That running game has been a disappointment (largely because of the o-line) and his receivers have a hard time staying healthy. I think he'll start the majority of the season this year, and if he still doesn't come through, look for Arizona to officially give up on him as their franchise qb.

BTW, take a look at some of the hot shot qbs taken early in drafts (by "early" I mean in the top 70) after the highly successful 2004 class:

2005: Alex Smith - bust
Aaron Rodgers - looks ok, but nothing special
Jason Campbell - promising, but jury still out
Charlie Frye - bust
Andrew Walter - bust
I don't know Lineart has been pretty shitty in the last pre-season game.

And out of that 2005 class Jason Campbell might be the best out of that(I know Redskins fan here) before he got injured he was playing pretty good and I think with this system which all indications are looks good during the pre-season games seen.

I am really excited about the potiential of this offense as long as a certain WR dosen't give up on any plays like in that playoff game against Seattle. It's 7 months later and it still pisses me off.

Also I've thought a little more about my predictions a little bit not that any of my 12 playoff teams change but a couple of things might change due to injures since I have all rights to do this before September 4 when the real season starts.

It's really dropping the Giants from winning 9 games to about 6 or 7 haven't decided yet.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Quote:
2006: Jay Cutler - legit franchise qb and great leader... only success story here

honestly, other than Cutler, everyone has been pretty disappointing (although Campbell has shown some flashes of absolute brilliance). I know Vince was ROY and got to the playoffs last year, but he's a terrible passer who just rode a spectacular defense there. Matt Ryan looks to be different, but only time will tell
I want to like Jay Cutler and after 2 years everyone is talking highly of him and there is some brilliance but I think there are still inconsistencies with him I think in order for Cutler to be really legit he has to take this below average team to the playoffs and I'm not buying Denver this year. I realize that after Brandon Marshall there's isn't much as far as recievers go and I think Denver D takes a huge step back this year, but if Denver can go at least 9-7 or 10-6 with that roster I'll be impressed.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Vince Young being considered a failure is ridiculous. With some seasoning he could turn out to be the next (new and improved) Michael Vick...
Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlamingo View Post
Vince Young being considered a failure is ridiculous. With some seasoning he could turn out to be the next (new and improved) Michael Vick...
Before or after the canine electrocutions?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan1234 View Post
Before or after the canine electrocutions?
Emphasize on the fact that I said NEW AND IMPROVED (read: better human being)...
Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleysDad View Post
You must be a Cowboy fan.
Actually I'm a Packers fan and happen to think I know a lot about football. Cowboys will be a force, you'll see.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Leinart will be the starter before the year is over. Heck, he might even start week 1 (Whisenhunt insists no decision has been made). I think at the end of the day, Leinart is a guy who is good at using talent, but when he doesn't have playmakers on his side, he can't do much on his own. That running game has been a disappointment (largely because of the o-line) and his receivers have a hard time staying healthy. I think he'll start the majority of the season this year, and if he still doesn't come through, look for Arizona to officially give up on him as their franchise qb.

BTW, take a look at some of the hot shot qbs taken early in drafts (by "early" I mean in the top 70) after the highly successful 2004 class:

2005: Alex Smith - bust
Aaron Rodgers - looks ok, but nothing special
Jason Campbell - promising, but jury still out
Charlie Frye - bust
Andrew Walter - bust

2006: Vince Young - sorry, but he might be the worst passer in football
Leinart - so far, disappointing
Jay Cutler - legit franchise qb and great leader... only success story here
Kellen Clemens - already lost his starting job
Tarvaris Jackson - don't get me started

2007: Jamarcus Russell - too soon to judge
Brady Quinn - ditto
Kevin Kolb - ditto
John Beck - so horrendous, they actually brought in Chad Pennington
Drew Stanton - can't beat out Jon Kitna for the job... tells you everything

honestly, other than Cutler, everyone has been pretty disappointing (although Campbell has shown some flashes of absolute brilliance). I know Vince was ROY and got to the playoffs last year, but he's a terrible passer who just rode a spectacular defense there. Matt Ryan looks to be different, but only time will tell
Good points all around. I have little question that Leinart will get another chance in the near future whether it be because of injury or just a change of heart. But I think there is a little left in Warner's tank also. Hell as a Bears fans I'd take him in a heartbeat over Orton/Grossman.

I dont know if I'd label Charlie Frye a bust quite yet, he looked impressive in the pre-season. With the lack of outstanding starting qb play, I think given the chance there are many teams he could start for... I'm not saying he's going to beat out Hasselbeck, but I've always thought he could play a little.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Actually I'm a Packers fan and happen to think I know a lot about football. Cowboys will be a force, you'll see.
One year Romo might win a playoff game. Why not this year?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Quote:
I didn't say he was a failure. My exact words were "he might be the worst passer in football." He had 17 picks last year to only 9 touchdowns. That's pretty lousy. I know he's a winner and all, but you can't convince me he knows how to throw a football the way a franchise qb should

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
I want to like Jay Cutler and after 2 years everyone is talking highly of him and there is some brilliance but I think there are still inconsistencies with him I think in order for Cutler to be really legit he has to take this below average team to the playoffs and I'm not buying Denver this year. I realize that after Brandon Marshall there's isn't much as far as recievers go and I think Denver D takes a huge step back this year, but if Denver can go at least 9-7 or 10-6 with that roster I'll be impressed.
I'm most impressed with Cutler's leadership. I like how he spoke out against Marshall and he seems to have the respect of every one in that locker room. His passing options are pretty limited, so I attribute his inconsistencies to him trying to make plays on a desperate offense (think Brett Favre 2 years ago). You're right, though. He still has a lot to prove.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Quote:
One year Romo might win a playoff game. Why not this year?
I'm beginning to wonder if he playoff "lapses" will start to mess with his mind. He's a good QB, has a lot of weapons around him and has used them to his advantage, but he's now 0-2 in the playoffs, including the botched field goal, and I'm wondering if that'll affect him down the road come more playoff times.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Now some of you have seen this or most of you have and your wondering why am I reposting my predictions well when I posted this a couple of things have happened since like

1. Shawn Merriman is playing with 2 torn knee ligaments and
2. Usi Umenyiora being out for the season.

So here are the changes I made all of them minor since they didn't affect any of my playoff teams whatsoever

1. I changed San Diego's record from 13-3 to 12-4
2. I gave Denver 1 extra win to 8-8
3. I changed the Giants record to 6-10
4. I changed Phily's record to 9-7
5. And I actually felt bad about giving Atlanta a 1-15 record so I changed it to 2-14

That is all and since the season dosen't start until Thursday I have all rights to do this.

AFC EAST
New England Patriots (14-2) Really easy schedule but won't go 16-0 this time around. Loss to the Giants in the superbowl still hurts
New York Jets (9-7) Favre overload continues could makes the playoffs only because of their schedule
Buffalo Bills (7-9) Don't see any impovements in the passing game to really make a huge jump this year
Miami Dolphins (4-12) Chad Pennington is the 12th QB the Dolphins have used since Dan Marino retired

AFC NORTH
Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6) Good team, very difficult schedule, play 9 of the 11 other teams that made the playoffs last year.
Cleveland Browns (8-8) Same schedule as Pittsburgh without the games againt New England and San Diego, if Defense dosen't improve will have trouble repeating the 10-6 record they had last year
Cincinnati Bengals (6-10) Chad Johnson wants out and is a distraction and their defense still has glaring weaknesses.
Baltimore Ravens (5-11) rookie QB and the defense is old

AFC SOUTH
Jacksonville Jaguars (12-4) This I think is the year they pass Indy, one of the best defenses in the league and Garrard dosen't make too many mistakes.
Indianapolis Colts (12-4) Offense not as potent as it used to be and the injures to key defensive players that might not play when the season starts don't look good.
Tennessee Titans (10-6) Addition of Alge Crumpler will help still need more playmakers to compete with the Colts and the Jaguars
Houston Texans (7-9) With the defense they have can be a really good team if the improve the offense, not convinced Matt Schaub is the answer

AFC WEST
San Diego Chargers (12-4) Can win it all if they could ever avoid the Patriots.
Denver Broncos (8-8) I'm just not sure about Jake Cutler yet.
Oakland Raiders (6-10)Good defense not convinced on the offense which has been awful for a few years
Kansas City Chiefs (3-13) They will be bad very very bad

AFC Division winners
New England
San Diego
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh

Wild Cards
Indianapolis
Tennessee

NFC EAST
Dallas Cowboys (11-5) Yeah right Terrel they would have won if they threw the ball to you more opening up a wound you should have let go a long time ago. Oh and your not winning the superbowl with that secondary
Wasington Redskins (11-5)22 players from last years playoff team returns including all the key players a new offense which Jason Campbell looks great in and an additon on their D-line with Jason Taylor to a very good defense
Philadelphia Flyers (9-7) Brian Westbrook needs more help and not convinced McNabb is really completely healthy, were also last in turnovers last year
New York Giants (6-10) Too many losses on the defense due to injury or retirement to recover

NFC NORTH
Minnesota Vikings (9-7) best run D in the league, excellent O-line, but can still pass on them though.
Green Bay Packers (8-8) Aren't going 13-3 this year and it could be worse if Aaron Rogers dosen't live up to unrealistic expectations
Chicago Bears (7-9) Possibly the only team Daunte Culpepper could still start for.
Detroit Lions (6-10) 31-81 That's the Lions record int he past 7 seasons under Matt Millen. And the year before he took over they were 9-7 and missed the playoffs by a field goal.

NFC SOUTH
New Orleans Saints(11-5) Are the real favourite in the NFC especially if the D imporves as it should
Tampa Bay Buccaneers(10-6) Hey don't underestimate these guys. Defense was very good last year and offense wasn't too bad, if only Garcia can stay healthy thought.
Carolina Panthers (7-9) Defense isn't what it used to be, and neither is the offense
Atlanta Falcons (2-14) They have to win at least 1 game. Right. Riiiiiiiiiight.

NFC WEST
Seattle Seahawks (8-8) Quick name their starting RB. Seriously and did Shaun Alexander get signed by anyone?
San Francisco 49ers (7-9) Man that Alex Smith pick looks really good now dosen't it?
Arizona Cardinals (6-10) Is this Matt Lineart final chance?
St. Louis Rams (5-11) Marc Bulger needs to be healthy and the defense needs to be better. Much better

Division winners
New Orleans
Dallas
Minnesota
Seattle

Wild Cards
Washington
Tampa Bay

MVP: LaDanian Tomlinson
OPOY: LaDanian Tomlinson
DPOY: Johnathan Vilma
OROY: Darren McFadden
DROY: Vernon Gholston(The Jets rookie DE)
Breakout Player Of The Year: Jason Campbell
Coach Of The Year: Jim Zorn

And My Superbowl Pick is....
Jacksonville over New Orleans.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Changes or no changes your Superbowl pick is still never going to happen.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Changes or no changes your Superbowl pick is still never going to happen.

So I like being different instead of everyone at ESPN who are picking either New England or Dallas which everyone at ESPN did except for one or 2 that are picking San Diego.

And your Dallas/San Diego one isn't happening either.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers (9-7) Brian Westbrook needs more help and not convinced McNabb is really completely healthy, were also last in turnovers last year
Do Redskins fans call them the Flyers as some sort of insult (like the way Browns fans call the Steelers "the Squealers") or was that just a typo?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Anyway, I'm not gonna post any major predictions, since that takes too long. I'll just list teams I think will disappoint, and those who I think will surprise.

Disappointments

Cleveland Browns - have you looked at the record of the teams they actually beat last year? Wins against the Jets, Rams, Dolphins, 49ers, and 2 against the Ravens (who are much better this year). They're not ready for the schedule they're about to face.

New York Giants - guess with Osi out, people have cooled off on their expectations. But I don't see this team doing that well.

Tampa Bay - Joey Galloway was out of his mind last year. Garcia will always be solid, but that defense is a bit older now. They won't make the playoffs

Tennessee - Vince Young still doesn't know how to pass, and they have too many running backs.

Washington - they're a solid team, but I think they're the worst in the NFC East.

Surprises

Houston Texans - I wanna pick them 2nd in the division, but Jacksonville and Indy are just too strong. They still might win 10 games, though. By the way, Mario Williams at #1 actually worked out. This is why I'll never be an NFL GM

Detroit Lions - as weak as that division is, I think the Lions could make something happen. Calvin is ready to blow, and I like that they signed Rudi Johnson, who coudl give them some much needed toughness

Oakland Raiders - I don't think they'll make the playoffs or anything, but they'll win 8 games or so and lose some tough ones to some good teams. They'll be out of the AFC West basement and show flashes of greatness. Great defense, and much improved offense (McFadden looks like a stud, and Javon Walker should be great despite an uninspired preseason)

Arizona Cardinals - The NFC West is awful, and with Seattle's offensive issues (RB by committee, injured receivers) I think this division is up for grabs. I like the Cards' D, and I think whoever their qb is, he will be effective.

Atlanta Falcons - I believe in Matt Ryan. Seriously, there's something about the kid that has me sold. I don't know what it is, but I love him. Again, they're not gonna be great, but they'll be a team that plays tough teams well and wins more games than people think. I can see them 6-10.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Quote:
So I like being different instead of everyone at ESPN who are picking either New England or Dallas which everyone at ESPN did except for one or 2 that are picking San Diego.

And your Dallas/San Diego one isn't happening either.
There is a reason the experts are picking them as well as myself. They look better than the rest.

Going against the grain before the season starts doesn't make it right. If you like being "different" instead of picking the obvious powerhouses I'm sure you're predictions are filled with failures at the end of each season.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Do Redskins fans call them the Flyers as some sort of insult (like the way Browns fans call the Steelers "the Squealers") or was that just a typo?
Actually that was just a typo I possibly could have had hockey on my mind at the time I didn't know I made that mistake I usually don't make glaring errors like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525
There is a reason the experts are picking them as well as myself. They look better than the rest.

Going against the grain before the season starts doesn't make it right. If you like being "different" instead of picking the obvious powerhouses I'm sure you're predictions are filled with failures at the end of each season.
Oh you mean when most of the experts predicted either San Diego, New Orleans or Dallas last year.

The reason I like Jacksonville is I like David Garrard he dosen't make too many mistakes they have an excellent running game with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones Drew which tear apart most defenses and I think their D overall is one of the best if not the best.

There's usually a team that comes out of left field and surprises somebody last year everyone thought it was San Francisco and 2 years ago it was Miami and they were all so horribly wrong and every year Peter King thinks Detroit will finally do something which won't happen for a long time.

This year a lot of people think it's Houston and Oakland. I buy the Houston argument with their defense but I don't buy Oakland until their offense proves to me they can score 20 points in a game on a consistent basis.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I hate to change the mood of this thread but

Jags’ Collier shot, has life-threatening injuries
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Richard Collier was shot and critically wounded outside an apartment building early Tuesday as he and a former Jacksonville teammate waited for two women they had met at a nightclub, police said.

Collier, 26, and former Jaguars defensive end Kenneth Pettway were waiting in a Cadillac Escalade when a gunman fired into the vehicle, said Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office spokesman Ken Jefferson. Collier was shot several times, but it wasn’t clear where he was hit.

Collier was in critical condition at Shands Jacksonville Medical Center, a nursing supervisor said early Tuesday. Later, spokesman Chris Turner said the hospital was no longer giving updates on Collier’s condition. There are a variety of reasons that can happen, such as a request by relatives.

Wayne Weaver, owner of the Jaguars, said in a statement released by the team: “We’re shocked and deeply saddened by this morning’s news about Richard Collier. We have been informed that Richard has had surgery and he’s in critical but stable condition. The entire Jaguars family is praying for Richard and his family at this time.”

The motive behind the attack was unknown, and the sheriff’s office was investigating. Pettway, who was released in final cuts Saturday, was not injured.

The shooting happened around 2:45 a.m. in a middle- to upper middle-class neighborhood just west of downtown Jacksonville and blocks from the St. Johns River. The players had gone to the apartment complex so the women could drop off their car, authorities said.

The women, who appeared to be in their 20s, were wearing nightclub dresses when they were escorted by police back to the complex midmorning Tuesday, but they declined comment. Jaguars spokesman Dan Edwards declined comment at the hospital. The team planned to release a statement later in the day.

Collier is the third NFL player to be shot in the past 18 months. Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor was fatally shot during what police said was a botched burglary attempt at his Miami-area home in November. Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was killed when his rented limousine was sprayed with bullets minutes after leaving a New Year’s party at a downtown Denver club in 2007.

Entering his third year after making the team as an undrafted rookie free agent, Collier competed for the starting job at left tackle but was beaten out by Khalif Barnes in the preseason.

Still, the Jaguars believe Collier could be a future starter. They signed him to a contract extension earlier this year despite an arrest last season.

The 6-foot-7, 345-pound linemen was arrested Nov. 3 after officers found him asleep behind the wheel at a McDonald’s drive-thru window. Collier failed field sobriety tests and had a blood-alcohol level of .096, according to police. In Florida, it is illegal to drive with a blood-alcohol level of .08 or higher.

Collier was suspended two games and fined by coach Jack Del Rio.

Collier’s attorney disputed the police report and recommended that his client go to trial, but Collier didn’t want the team to have to deal with the negative attention it would have generated. So he pleaded no contest and accepted six months of probation.

He publicly vowed to stay out of trouble, not wanting to blow his chance of becoming an every-down starter in the NFL.

Coming out of high school in Shreveport, La., Collier didn’t have the grades or test scores to attend most colleges, so he stayed home with his mother and got a job in the produce department at Wal-Mart.

He worked there for two years before deciding to give football another chance. He enrolled at Tyler Junior College in Texas, about 90 miles west of Shreveport. He showed up weighing 390 pounds, having not lifted a weight since high school.

Collier quickly got his grades—and body—in shape and worked his way into the starting lineup. He transferred to Valdosta State in 2004 and helped the Blazers win the Division II national championship that season. He earned All-America honors as a senior in 2005.

But he failed to impress many NFL scouts.

The Jaguars were the only team to bring Collier in for a workout before the draft, so signing with Jacksonville as an undrafted rookie was an easy decision. His only other choice, he thought, was to go back to the produce section.

“It took me to lose everything to recognize how much I had,” Collier said during his rookie season. “It was a blessing, really. I found out how it would be if I didn’t work hard and apply myself.”

Seeing as to what happened tragically to Sean Taylor last year and Darrent Williams a couple years ago this isn't good I hope he makes it because this is sad way to start a season.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Sad news about Collier.

These picks and predictions are really interesting so far guys, keep 'em comin', been good readin' so far!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:11 PM
That sucks about Collier . . . especially so close to the NFL season. Here's hoping he pulls through.

I'm a Falcons fan and I think they'll win at least 4 games this year. They won't do much in the NFC Southeast, maybe one win in that division, but they face a lot of bad teams (from last year anyway) and I think they'll be able to pull a few wins off.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Not a lot of respect from "experts" when picking against the Giants. I don't think we are going to do better than 9-7, but I am hopeful. I just can't stand how those same people are picking the Iggles and Jets to do special things. I will love when Favre flops and the Iggles still don't have a decent receiver and the coach does not run the ball enough.

I hope the Jints make the playoffs and I can laugh at the so called experts.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Not a lot of respect from "experts" when picking against the Giants. I don't think we are going to do better than 9-7, but I am hopeful. I just can't stand how those same people are picking the Iggles and Jets to do special things. I will love when Favre flops and the Iggles still don't have a decent receiver and the coach does not run the ball enough.

I hope the Jints make the playoffs and I can laugh at the so called experts.
The only reason I like the Jets is because of their schedule.

Giants I think lost way too many players on their D-line I don't think they are capable of winning many games if it comes down to a shootout.

Now time to me to pick this weeks games starting with tonights

Washington over NY Giants - The Redskins have won 6 of their last 7 openers and have won the superbowl the following year the Giants won both of theirs.

Detroit over Atlanta - Enjoy it Lions fans you won't get too many of these

Cincinnati over Baltimore - Rookie QB, banged up McGahee and no real replacement for Johnathan Ogden

Buffalo over Seattle - A lot of banged up recievers for the Seahawks and playing in Buffalo isn't an easy place to play

NY Jets over Miami - Chap Pennington vs his former team good luck

New England over Kansas City - Too much of a big deal being made out of New England going 0-4 in the preseason and Tom Brady not playing

New Orleans over Tampa Bay - Another hurricane hits that city haven't those poor people sufferred enough

Philadelphia over St. Louis - The Rams might be improved but O-line still sucks and defense still has questions

Pittsburgh over Houston - Houston's secondary is the only thing stopping them from maybe being a playoff team.

Jacksonville over Tennessee - I'll take David Garrard over Vince Young.

Dallas over Cleveland - Could be the highest scoring game of the week

San Diego over Carolina - I don't get the buzz around the Panthers this year.

San Francisco over Arizona - ????? No wait a minute ?

Arizona over San Francisco - ?????? umm........ Hold on a minute.

(20 minutes later)

Arizona over San Francisco - I had to think really hard about this one. Seriously I did

Indianpolis over Chicago - A little disapointed that the Colts didn't keep Kenton Keith I thought he was a really good backup to Addai and is okay for a backup

Minnesota over Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers lets see what your made of

Denver over Oakland - Oakland until your offense proves you can score 20 points and your defense can stop the run you won't win more than 6 games regardless of the shit teams you play.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM
And so the title defense begins...

LET'S GO GIANTS!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingbanky View Post
And so the title defense begins...

LET'S GO GIANTS!!!
The D might not be as great on the line, but I expect the secondary to be better. I also think the offense will be better. Smith is healthy. Plex with his new contract. I like Hixon and Mario Manningham. I trust Eli will be good. Not as great as in the playoffs, but good enough to win many games. The running game should be very good with great balance and a vet O line.

Go Giants!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Chad Ocho Cinco is my hero
Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Washington over NY Giants - The Redskins have won 6 of their last 7 openers and have won the superbowl the following year the Giants won both of theirs..
0 for 1 so far this week. Go Giants, despite a so so game.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
The game started out so promising, but the second half was dull. The NY Giants defense didn't seem to miss their retired or their injured stars.

But I am glad football's now in full swing; college last weekend and now professional. Good times.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Neither team really "wow"d me, especially Washington. I was really hoping the Skins could take charge in that division, but their offense looks even shakier than last year. They had every opportunity to come back in this game and just couldn't get anything going for their offense.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notchreturns View Post
Chad Ocho Cinco is my hero
Until they trade him to a team that has #85 retired... what a moron he is
Old 09-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
Neither team really "wow"d me, especially Washington. I was really hoping the Skins could take charge in that division, but their offense looks even shakier than last year. They had every opportunity to come back in this game and just couldn't get anything going for their offense.
There will be a learning curve of at least a year for team and coach. They messed up in many ways including no huddle, time management and time out usage.

I am a Giant fan and I am not happy with what I saw. This was a typical Giant game. Destroy the team in the first quarter and have a low score for the effort. They looked awesome on first drive and score a TD. Then do very little the rest of the way. Everytime they got in the red zone they forgot how to play. Too conservative. Eli almost threw 3 ints and did throw one. Jacobs ran over people and he needs the ball more. Where the heck was Ahmad Bradshaw to mix it up? Eli looked to Plex way too much and needs to spread it out more. Smith was very good as was Plex. The O Line was awesome.

The special teams kept messing up all game. Thank goodness for the D, which played awesome against a bad team right now. I hope Mathias Kiwanuka was not hurt on that last play. That would be a huge loss if he was. A little too much non sense by the defense. They need to control themselves. Lucky there were few flags.

Also typical, the Giants made a game where they killed the other team go down to the very end. Tom better learn to open the field up on offense and stop being so conservative.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Two things I took away from last night.

1. The Redskins are going to be just as bad as I thought they would be this year. I know it's the first game but they couldn't do a damn thing on offense. Their QB is over rated and very Joey Harringtonesque.

2. The NY Giants are still garbage and they should enjoy this win because there wont be many more. They never looked impressive and if they did they would have blown out a very very crappy team in the Redskins.

Of the two, I would be more alarmed if I were a Washington fan. They were awful and will not turn it around and that makes me very, very happy.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Quote:
1. The Redskins are going to be just as bad as I thought they would be this year. I know it's the first game but they couldn't do a damn thing on offense. Their QB is over rated and very Joey Harringtonesque.
I think Campbell is playing nicely, Ii'm just not sure he has many targets. And yeah, Santana Moss and Randel El make plays every once in a while, but their number of dropped passes is rediculous. Both are extremely overrated players for that fact alone.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Jason Campbell will not be the answer at QB for the Redskins.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan1234 View Post
Jason Campbell will not be the answer at QB for the Redskins.
Or for any team in the NFL... Giants D + Brandon Jacobs = Just as beastly, mean, and powerful as last year. Any defense that has to play against Brandon Jacobs this year is going to have a hell of a time beating the G-men for four quarters.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Quote:

I am not a Skins fan, but they will be fine. Campbell is a decent QB and with more practice and time the offence will do something, just like last year. There will be a learning curve for the coach and the system. This is his first head coaching job ever.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 PM
The two things that went right for the Giants - Brandon Jacobs and Plaxico Burress

Look at the Giants' recieving group without Burress... ugh

In a totally unrelated area... I think the Panthers are going to surprise some people this year.. After Smith gets back from suspension, they should be competetive with any team they play.. a healthy Delhomme makes a good Panthers team.

And yes, I'm a big Panthers fan, but I can look at things without bias. Hey, we sucked last year.

My picks for division winners:

AFC

East New England Patriots - not much to say here

North Cleveland Browns - I think they will surprise some people and stay hot

South Jacksonville Jaguars - This is the year the overtake the Colts

West San Diego Chargers -LT, Rivers, Gates, a great D... a lot of talent

Wild Card Indianapolis Colts & Pittsburgh Steelers

NFC

East Dallas Cowboys - the powerhouse of the NFC

North Minnesota Vikings - I hope the Packers cope without Favre.. dont think they will

South Carolina Panthers - a healthy Delhomme and dominant Peppers beats out the Saints

West Seattle Seahawks-Hasselbeck and a good D seem always to win in this weak division

Wild Card NY Giants & New Orleans Saints

Last edited by sbunn10; 09-05-2008 at 11:34 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Thoughts on the first game...

TERRIBLE offensive strategy by Zorn. When you've got a RB a year or two past his prime (Portis), you DO NOT employ a run-run mindset in the first half and wear the guy out until he's useless in the 2nd half. Instead, they should've put the ball in Campbell's hands from the getgo and see what happens. If they had been able to get an early lead that way, THEN after halftime you unleash the running game. Skins D played well enough so that would have worked...

As for the Jints, D looked solid, and Jacobs is truly a beast who could have a breakout year. The offense sputtered in the second half, but all NY's defense had to do then was watch for the passing plays due to Zorn's piss-poor game-planning...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Thoughts on the first game...

TERRIBLE offensive strategy by Zorn. When you've got a RB a year or two past his prime (Portis), you DO NOT employ a run-run mindset in the first half and wear the guy out until he's useless in the 2nd half. Instead, they should've put the ball in Campbell's hands from the getgo and see what happens. If they had been able to get an early lead that way, THEN after halftime you unleash the running game. Skins D played well enough so that would have worked...

As for the Jints, D looked solid, and Jacobs is truly a beast who could have a breakout year. The offense sputtered in the second half, but all NY's defense had to do then was watch for the passing plays due to Zorn's piss-poor game-planning...
Exactly... and whats with completely ignoring Chris Cooley? He is one of the best tight ends in the league!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Quote:

Of the two, I would be more alarmed if I were a Washington fan. They were awful and will not turn it around and that makes me very, very happy.

Now here are my thoughts

1. I don't understand the play calling in the 2nd half especially 4th QTR seriously.
2. Jason Campbell looked fine and it would have been better if a certain player isn't dropping easy catches that he should make. Yeah I looking at you Santana Moss.
3. Why the hell was Chris Cooley ignored for most of the game like come on.

Maybe things will be better in game 2 and considering this team always give shitty performances in this stadium which has been the case the past 6 years.

D is still solid and one of the best and I wish one of the rookie WRs can do something because I can't take Moss dropping easy catches that he should make. Come on.

It's only 1 game so it's not over yet. This team was 5-7 at one point and found a way to make it to the playoffs and there's lots of winnible games on the schedule.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Quote:
2. Jason Campbell looked fine and it would have been better if a certain player isn't dropping easy catches that he should make. Yeah I looking at you Santana Moss.
My dad's a hardcore Skins fan so I usually watch most of their games with him and I get so frustrated watching this guy who's supposed to be a star receiver playing like a mediocre second or third slot receiver.

I'm tired of the Campbell haters. The kid has potential, and I think he looked better than Eli did. That's right, I said it. What? The Giants offense relied on Burress and Jacobs for the majority of the game, and Manning's awful timing prevented New York from making this the blowout it really should have been.