Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I love you guys. Hating another team, Dallas, more than you like your own team.

everyone in Dallas hates the BSPN coverage of the Cowboys the same as you. As long as Dallas and NE lose, everyone's happy.

No doubt the Cowboys deserved to lose. Theres a host of problems from the owner, to the coaches on down. But its really hilarious to me fans ENJOY when Dallas or NE loses.

Whats that old adage? Everyone hates Winners?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

The Cowboys haven't been Winners for a decade. I think you need another Adage.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Is it just me or is the MVP race wide open? I've heard good reasoning for every team leader on a winning squad from a lot of sources.

I've heard two for the Falcons alone: Matt Ryan and Michael Turner. I don't think either will win it, though I think Ryan is a shoe-in for Rookie of the Year.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Peyton Manning deserves and will win the MVP.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Maybe. I've heard talk that Eli will win it. Kurt Warner was the frontrunner a few weeks ago, but I think their game against the Patriots killed that dream.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Quote:
The Cowboys haven't been Winners for a decade. I think you need another Adage.
Still got five.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Rams, Seahawks and Patriots out of the playoffs!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
I love you guys. Hating another team, Dallas, more than you like your own team.

everyone in Dallas hates the BSPN coverage of the Cowboys the same as you. As long as Dallas and NE lose, everyone's happy.

No doubt the Cowboys deserved to lose. Theres a host of problems from the owner, to the coaches on down. But its really hilarious to me fans ENJOY when Dallas or NE loses.

Dallas hasn't won a playoff game wince 96 and the difference between an a below average to average Dallas team compared to everyone else is ESPN and most other media idiots immediately put them as Super Bowl contenders.

Also I'm a Redskins fan I have reason to hate that team.

As for the MVP vote this is a wideopen year as unlike other years there isn't one candidate that stands out I know Kurt Warner was at the top for a while but he won't get it I think since Arizona faded down the stretch. My choice for MVP would be Peyton Manning because earlier in the year Peyton was the difference the Colts won 2 games earlier in the year they had no business winning and could have been 1-6 instead of 3-4 and won 9 straight to finish the year and barely had a running game partly due to injuries to Addai and their offensive line.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
Dallas hasn't won a playoff game wince 96 and the difference between an a below average to average Dallas team compared to everyone else is ESPN and most other media idiots immediately put them as Super Bowl contenders.

I agree. We dont like it either though.

How do you think it affects your mental state if everyone in the media is blowing you up to be the best team ever assembled before training camp? Its likely it will make you feel privileged when you havent earned a thing.

Thats exactly how Dallas came out this year.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Maybe. I've heard talk that Eli will win it. Kurt Warner was the frontrunner a few weeks ago, but I think their game against the Patriots killed that dream.
I really hope it doesn't go to Eli. The guy would still be just about an average quarterback if he didn't have that amazing running game to depend on. I'll say the same about Matt Ryan. Sure he's been damn impressive for a rookie starting quarterback and he's done more than anyone could have expected from him; but I'm not still not quite sure he warrants the MVP award just yet. Here are my nominees:

AFC:
Peyton Manning:
So we're still not quite sure if the Colts are a for real threat, but with this guy under center they're always worthy to take note of. After a dissapointing season opener in their brand new stadium, the Colts just seemed to eek by week after week with miraculous come from behind victories until they whipped up a 9 game winning streak to close out the season. The big problem with Indy is their run game. Joseph Addai has had quite the lackluster season after his impressive start, leading to the bulk of the offense being thrust onto the shoulders of the best quarterback in the league. And with this offense nearly entirely in his hands, he's gotten them a 12-4 record and the fifth best passing offense in the league.

Andre Johnson:
The Texans started out pretty rough this year, but definitley came on at the end of their season. For the second consecutive year, Gary Kubiak has lead the Texans to an 8-8 record in one of the most difficult divisions in the league. Most of that is due to this man. Andre Johnson's 1,575 yards leads the league in receiving on a Texan offense that's ranked 3rd overall. Weather it was Rosenfels or Schaub throwing the ball, Johnson was always the man to get it to.

Troy Polamalu:
Let's be honest, while Pittsburgh is one of (if not THE) best teams in the AFC, its clearly not because of their offense. Willie Parker has had a less than stellar year due to his continuing battle with injuries and Ben Rothlisburger has been...well Ben Rothlisburger. But on the other side of the football, this team has been superb. The leader of that squad: Troy Polamalu. It seems everytime Pitt was out on defense he's out there near the ball, trying to make a play. He's one of those key guys on defense, that suprisingly doesn't get a whole lot of credit for what he does. He's a defensive leader and a staple in that Steeler D.

NFC:
Adrian Peterson:
In his sophmore year in the league, Peterson has chugged forward for a league leading 1760 yards on the ground this season leading the Vikings to their first NFC North title since...who cares! Despite all the benching, injuries and controversy Minnesota has had at the quarterback position; Peterson has literally carried this team into the playoffs as the number 3 team in the NFC. For an example of just how motivated this kid was look back to the game winning drive the second time they played the Packers this year. Simply amazing.

Drew Brees:
Can you imagine what this guy could have done if the Chargers had kept him? His Saints fell shy of the playoffs in what turned out to be the closest division in the league, but Brees lead the league in passing yardage and came just 15 yards short of Dan Marino's single season yardage record while maintaning the fourth best QB rating in the league.

Micheal Turner:
Second to Peterson in rushing yardage this season was former LT backup Micheal Turner. Finally signed for a starting position, Turner went wild with the Falcons this season and was a key player in their success. The one-two combo of Turner and Jerious Norwood made things much easier on first year QB Matt Ryan and the entire offense bringing the Falcons into the playoffs after falling in last place in the division only 1 year ago.

Last edited by Kevin Smith fan; 12-30-2008 at 04:11 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Denver fires Head Coach Mike Shanahan = Morons

The just lost the only respectful and only person to fear on that team.

Calling it right now - they will be one of the top 5 worst teams in the NFL next year.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM

I agree with the Shanahan firing, enough was certainly enough, and the team's performance in the last month proves it, maybe because Shannahannadingdong possibly felt no pressure to win since he was so buddy-buddy with the owners...

Now if they land Schottenheimer to take over, they WILL be a force again...
Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Fucking hell! I didn't see this one coming at all. Granted, the '08 Broncos had zero defense, Jay Cutler wasn't terribly impressive as QB, and the team, ultimately, cost themselves the AFC West.

Nevertheless, I don't believe firing Mike Shanahan, who is a damn good and respectable coach, is the answer to the team's problems. This is good news for the Browns. I'm guessing Shanahan will be the guy they go after now.

If the Broncos can't get Marty Schottenheimer, then this is a fucking bullshit decision.

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 12-30-2008 at 07:00 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't see the MVP race being that wide open. Peyton Manning surpassed every one down the stretch. He'll win easily. Peterson and Turner might get some votes, as will Eli, but I think Peyton wins comfortably. I believe there are 50 voters? Peyton will get at least 35.

And I agree with firing Shanahan. That team hasn't taken any positive strides over the last few years. It's not that he's a bad coach, but they're stuck in 2nd gear and need to bring in someone who can change that. It didn't look like he can motivate them any more. It's just one of those things where the players are tired of hearing the coach's voice and speeches and just don't listen. You can't tell me they played inspired football on Sunday, which as a huge game for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 12-30-2008 at 09:19 PM..
Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
No love for Steve Smith? Really?

Shanahan was an awesome coach...when John Elway was his quarterback. They need CHANGE.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Are you being serious? He's not even a serious candidate or even in the running for that matter.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Quote:
When I was typing that up he was on the list but then I decided their offense was much more dangerous due to their running game and that Brees, Peterson, and Turner were much more valuable to their teams. He did have a great year though, and in my mind is still one of the best receivers in the game. And he doesn't have to cry in press conferences or shoot himself at a night club to get the attention the others do.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Quote:
for MVP? No way. A receiver has to do a LOT more than Steve Smith did to get MVP consideration. He's great, though.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:26 PM
He won't win it, but Phillip Rivers deserves MVP. He led a team that was on the brink of death to not only the playoffs, but a division title, despite never being in first in the division until the end of the year. His stats are also equal or better than Peyton Manning's.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
In my opinion, Smith is one of the most VALUABLE players in the league. Not the best, but he's made so many acrobatic catches late in the game (regardless of whether or not he's open, and he's working with a mediocre quarterback), that I think you have to consider him. Their running game is lethal, but they wouldn't be 12-4 without Smith. I'm fine with Peyton Manning. He'll probably win, but I'm just dishing out MY picks.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Random "awards"

Best Offseason Move - Michael Turner. I don't think I need to justify this

Worst Offseason Move - Pacman Jones. When a guy plays terribly on the field and is a HUGE distraction off of it, it's kind of a no brainer. At least they didn't give up anything to get him

Biggest Surprise - Team - Miami Dolphins. With Atlanta, they added a great running back and drafted a stud QB. Miami, though, brought in a qb a lot of people thought was washed up, and lost their leaders (Taylor and Zach Thomas). I'm more surprised by their turn around, personally.

Biggest Surprise - Player - Chad Pennington. I was inclined to go with Deangelo Williams, but at the end of the day Williams is still a young guy and the Panthers beefed up their o-line. But Pennington was written off. And not only did his team win, but Pennington played great (not just "Trent Dilfer in 2001" style) as he threw for over 3500 yards and led the NFL in completion percentage.

Biggest Disappointment - Team - Detroit Lions. I know the Cowboys or Seahawks are the sexy pick here, but they had to deal with a lot of injuries all season. For a team to go 0-16... come on. Maybe Dallas is the biggest underachiever, but that's a different story.

Biggest Disappointment - Player - Jason Taylor. I'm amazed how little he added to a playoff team

Most Improved Player - Philip Rivers. He started to show signs in the playoffs last year that the Chargers were his team, and he reaffirmed that all season. The running game and the defense weren't what they used to be, and Rivers stepped up and took charge. Plus, he wasn't overly reliant on Gates any more. He's added a lot to his game

Offensive MVP - Peyton Manning - I've already justified this, so I won't waste space here

Defensive MVP - Ed Reed. This was really tough. Pittsburgh has a few guys worth mentioning, and of course there's Demarcus Ware. But I picked Reed because I feel he made more big plays than any one else. There are about 5 guys you can easily make cases for

Best Rookie - Offense - Matt Forte. I was more impressed with him as a player (not as the "most valuable rookie" but in terms of skill set) than any other rook. Not only is he a great runner, but he also can catch out of the backfield. And against the Vikings, he lined up as a receiver and caught a fade for a TD. Very impressive

Best Rookie - Defense Jerod Mayo. Only because no one else stood out to me

Best Story - Atlanta Falcons. Good to see them rebound from the Vick saga
Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Quote:
After my atrocious Atlanta Falcons prediction I have to point out when I'm right a few times to redeem myself.

Great Prediction, King!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Quote:
After my atrocious Atlanta Falcons prediction I have to point out when I'm right a few times to redeem myself.

Great Prediction, King!
Dude, even I was 7 games off of my Atlanta prediction this season, and I'm a Falcons fan!! Though I can't be more thrilled to be wrong.

Congrats Peyton!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Quote:
While we're on predictions:

Predictions I got right - Matt Ryan would be great; Belichick would be OK without Brady (missed playoffs, fine, but won 11 games, so I'm counting it!); Tampa Bay would miss the playoffs; Cards will finally win the NFC West; Browns would be AWFUL; Manning would win MVP in a landslide (32/50 votes)

Predictions I got HORRIBLY wrong - Titans would finish last in their division; Detroit Lions as a "surprise" team (might be my worst prediction ever); Matt Leinart would be the starter in Arizona by year's end; the Giants would "disappoint" (didn't specify, but clearly, I was very wrong there)

Predictions that were a toss up - Texans will be solid and finish 3rd (they did, but it didn't go how I expected); Raiders will be out of the AFC West basement (they were, but they still only won 5 games and sucked); Packers will miss Favre (Rodgers played great, but they still only won 6 games)
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM
at the half. dirty birds-17 cards-14. i feel like i'm about to have a heartattack. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow. The Arizona Cardinals looked like a completely different team today, and they played much better than in the last several weeks of the regular season. The Cards beat the hell out of the Falcons in terms of defense and special teams. In addition, Matt Ryan made one too many rookie mistakes, and Kurt Warner played like the experienced, Super Bowl-winning veteran QB he is. I really thought the Falcons had this game locked, but I should've known better, and I shouldn't have picked against Warner and the home team. The Cards/Falcons game proved how unpredictable the NFL (and especially the Playoffs) are.

The Cards better enjoy this victory, though, because I remain unconvinced that they're a strong enough football team to shock everyone and take out the Giants or Panthers next weekend.

Colts/Chargers are up next....

Strider
Old 01-03-2009, 06:49 PM
FUCK ME. The only thing i have ever wanted in life was a superbowl win for atl. the fuckin cards just crushed my dreams. maybe next year but right now i dont give a shit about next year. fuck life. fuck the cards. now, i die.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Calm down. The Falcs did everything they did this year with a ROOKIE QB, who's only gonna get better. Atlanta's 2008 season = EPIC WIN
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky4fingerz View Post
FUCK ME. The only thing i have ever wanted in life was a superbowl win for atl. the fuckin cards just crushed my dreams. maybe next year but right now i dont give a shit about next year. fuck life. fuck the cards. now, i die.
Woah there lets remember a rookie QB and a team no one had winning more than 4 games when the year started this team is only going to get better.

While Arizona's win did shock me I think San Diego's win shocked me more.

Even though the penalties were well deserved in OT for Indy why do I have this feeling this is going to be like Pittsburgh 3 years ago.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Both teams didn't play as good as they should've
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
i know they had a better season than anyone expected. Hell, i was thinking maybe 7 wins, but to get there and do this is just very disappointing. they have a great future lined up but DAMN I just dont want to wait. Ya mean?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 PM
any one else think the refs in the Colts/Chargers game were a bit touchy? They mentioned it in the beginning (most flags throughout the season) but for a playoff game, they really should let the dudes play.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 AM
It was pretty ridiculous. I just love officials who think they're the show. And, just for added fun, we got another example of my favorite play in football: Fat Old Umpire Can't Get Out Of The Way When A Play Comes Over The Middle. That is the most usueless position among the officiating crew and badly needs to be rethought.

Having said all of that...same old Colts. They're like the cast of The Wizard of Oz: no heart, no brain, no guts and they just want to go home. The window is closing on that team and they don't have nearly as much to show for it as they should. They're like the 70's Raiders: they win and win but always seem to manage to come up short in December and January (they even have a nemesis like the Raiders did, just instead of the Steelers, it's New England.)
Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Having said all of that...same old Colts. They're like the cast of The Wizard of Oz: no heart, no brain, no guts and they just want to go home. The window is closing on that team and they don't have nearly as much to show for it as they should.
Although that's a great analogy, I'm not sure I agree that the "window is closing" on the Colts. I still think they'll be a competitive team for quite some time. Winning another Super Bowl is an entirely different story, however.

The Cards beating the Falcons was surprising, but the 12-4 Colts losing to the 8-8(8-8?!?!) Chargers was positively shocking. The game, ultimately, was decided by defense. Ron Rivera's defense kept pressure on Peyton Manning, and the Colts D-line absolutely sucked (they had no answers for Darren Sproles, who had a terrific game, and they were just godawful in OT). The Colts came into this game the superior team, but they left as the inferior team after it was all over. For a second straight year, the Colts' season is ended by the Chargers. Unbelievable.

Are the 9-8 Chargers another '05 Steelers? I don't think so. Whether they face the Steelers or the Titans next weekend, I'm picking one of those former teams for the victory.

Strider
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Colts will be fine in the long run because they've drafted well and have some good young talent they've found over the years (especially Gonzalez and their o-line). However, their defense was embarrassing last night, and it's been inconsistent this entire decade. I don't see their defense getting better without adding players. Remember, when they won the Super Bowl, they got Anthony McFarland at the midway point to stuff the run. They'll be competative for years to come because of Manning and the talent on offense, but they're not winning another Super Bowl unless they bring in talent on D like they did with Booger.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Go Cardinals! As much I despise the Falcons, I didn't think that they would lose. The Colts are old and one-dimensional. Dungy and Manning kick ass, though. At least they won a Super Bowl. Sure, it could have been a dynasty, but it could have been worse.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I still contend that the Falcons benefitted from a softer schedule, otherwise it would have taken a season or two to have gotten where they did. But the bottom line is that they got there, and I am glad that it helps them move past Vick that much sooner. Of course, I'm a Saints fan so I'm not TOO happy about them doing better

Good for the Cardinals, but their record playing out east is atrocious. I am certain the Giants would make short work of them, and I don't think their chances against the Panthers would be much better.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Although that's a great analogy, I'm not sure I agree that the "window is closing" on the Colts. I still think they'll be a competitive team for quite some time. Winning another Super Bowl is an entirely different story, however.
Last night ended Manning's 11th season. He'll be around for a while longer, but it's hard not to think he has more great days behind him than in front. You can't really blame Dungy for his defense going brain dead at several key moments last night, but a lot of these shortfalls over the years are on his head.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 PM
wow, did not get any of the winners this weekend right in my predictions