Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
if adam jones had five or six interceptions and a couple of kickoff returns for touchdowns this would have been the cowboys response to the new accusations: that was the old adam jones. he is a changed man and we are happy to help him move on.' but he didnt play well so he was expendable. i just hope they are not trying to make him the scapegoat because they are only lying to themselves. what about the fact that their quarterback cant win a meaningful game. this guy doesnt seem to take his job as seriously as he should and no one seems to be saying much about it. how is that fair to the rest of the team? He is the weak link in the chain. if he played halfway decent in games that matter the cowboys may have made the playoffs but it goes back to the carolina playoff game where he couldnt even put down a semi bad snap. I dont think he can handle the pressure. he looks scared at times. He is a good quarterback but I'm not sure if he has the work ethic or heart to be great. jerry jones probably loves the publicity that comes along with that but this is also the same owner who got rid of jimmy johnson for no reason other than ego.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm not a sports person at all! But if the Eagles make the superbowl I will actually watch the superbowl.

Man it will be such a great time to be a Philadelphian if the Eagles win the superbowl coming off the Phillies winning the world series!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider;2946298
According to ESPN, Tony Dungy will announce his retirement today. Any thoughts?

[b
Strider[/b]
Adding to what has been said, you have to keep his family situation in mind as well. His son tragically committed suicide a few years ago, and I'm sure Dungy would like to be closer to his family. I can't see how a father can go through that and not think "if only I was home more..."

He had a great run. He won his Super Bowl and has nothing else to prove. Lets hope he's happy away from the game.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Arizona Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Yay Yay! Raiders are my team but I chose the Cards as my Cinderella team this year and they have not disappointed. They have so much talent on that team, bout time they start to show it. Fitzgerald is the MVP of the postseason this year, he's a beast.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I've been a Card's fan my whole life and I could NOT be happier about the win tonight.

GO CARDS GO!!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm surprised the Eagles lost. They're usually pretty good in high pressure games like that...

I'm really happy for the Cardinals. I've rooted for them for a long time and I hope they smoke the Steelers.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Ravens lose, disaster averted.

Something unprecedented is going to happen in the Super Bowl. Either the Steelers are going to win their sixth SB championship or Warner's going to become the first starter to win the game with two different teams. I would've been cool with the Eagles making it, but my main focus was sending the Ravens home.

Now I can relax and enjoy the damn game.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:44 AM
I'd like everyone to know that I predicted a Steelers/Cardinals Super Bowl since before the start of the regular season. I think I'm the only one to have made such a prediction, and I'm very proud of myself. Kudos to me.

Although I was hoping for a "Battle of Pennsylvania" Super Bowl, I think the Steelers/Cardinals will make for a great, exciting game. The Cards are on an impressive run, and I'm happy for the team and organization, but I'll be rooting for the Steelers.

Strider
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Well so much for me watching the superbowl. With the Eagles losing, I've lost any interest in watching the game.

I'll be rooting for the Steelers. They are not Philly, but at least they are my state.

And there goes the chance for a double win of Philly after the Phillies won the world series last year.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Terrible Superbowl featuring two undeserving teams. Wow... I'll be super drunk before the game starts for sure now.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Terrible Superbowl featuring two undeserving teams. Wow... I'll be super drunk before the game starts for sure now.
What the hell does "deserving" have to do with it. They won, plain and simple. If we crowned champions on who deserved it, than New England would've won it last year.

I think this will be a pretty good Super Bowl. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
What's with all the Cardinal bashing going on around here? I mean I've been down on the Cards just as much as anyone, DURING THE REGULAR SEASON, but now this team looks absolutely deserving of a Superbowl appearance. This team has looked rediculously good the past few weeks and I have no idea how their blowout victories over Atlanta and Carolina make them undeserving....

And now people are saying they aren't going to watch the Superbowl because the Cardinals will be in instead of the Eagles?! Are you kidding me?! Have any of you seen the Eagles or Cardinals play this postseason?! The Eagles had trouble keeping up with the fucking Vikings offense. They can't score worth a damn, yet people'd rather watch David Akers field-goal Philly's way to a Superbowl title?

Meanwhile, Arizona has been the most exciting team to make the playoffs this year. Larry Fitzgerald is absolutely destroying teams, while the rest of the team has finally seemed to come together. The defense has been playing better than they've played all year and now Hightower and James are finally bringing balance to their offense. And we've seen the Ravens, Steelers, Eagles, and the rest of the bunch already in a Superbowl this decade...we've NEVER seen the Cardinals make the Superbowl EVER.

If it would have been an Eagles/Steelers Superbowl, we'd get a sloppy, long and drawn out 12-15 game between two of the most overrated QBs in the league getting picked off just in range of a field goal time after time. I'm fucking grateful that we've got a team as exciting as the Cards in the superbowl.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith fan View Post
. . . team has looked rediculously good the past few weeks and I have no idea how their blowout victories over Atlanta . . .
HEY! We only lost by six.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
to quote Bob Ryan: "If this were college football, the Cardinals would've been headed to the Outback Bowl."

Great story, and just another reminder than anything can happen if you get into the playoffs. Still mad, cause the Cards completely mailed in the last few games of the season, but they're peaking at the right time.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
why the fuck was "we are the champions" playing when the Cardinals won, they haven't won the championship yet...
Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiefatsacks View Post
why the fuck was "we are the champions" playing when the Cardinals won, they haven't won the championship yet...
They were crowned NFC champions. Hence the song. It's their first NFC conference championship in franchise history, I imagine they are quite excited about it.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, lay off the Cards. They didn't make the rules. They have every right to play "We Are the Champions." While I agree that the playoff system is deeply flawed, the Cards have truly risen to the occasion. They deserve a shot at the title. Plus, I hate the Eagles. And fuck Bob Ryan. Was he implying that the BCS system is any better? Should we have 10 other Bowls in the NFL? How about a White Castle Bowl match-up between the Texans and the Lions? Or maybe a Listerine Bowl match-up between the Chiefs and the Seahawks?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
And fuck Bob Ryan. Was he implying that the BCS system is any better? Should we have 10 other Bowls in the NFL? How about a White Castle Bowl match-up between the Texans and the Lions? Or maybe a Listerine Bowl match-up between the Chiefs and the Seahawks?
NOooooo.... dude, it's the opposite. He was commenting on how ridiculous the BCS System is, because if it were applied to the NFL, the team that eventually represented the NFC in the Super Bowl would never have gotten the chance to earn that spot because their record would have landed them in some 3rd rate bowl game. The point is, once you get in, ANYTHING can happen, and the BCS prevents stories like this from ever happening because they disregard teams like Arizona. He's reiterating how much of a long shot Zona was, and how great it was to see them have a chance to prove their doubters wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
It'll be interesting to see this Steeler's defense go up against this now explosive Cardinals offense.

I could think of worse Superbowl match-ups. It's great to see a team like the Cardinals find some success and finally make it to the big show. At the same time, I doubt (with the exception of Strider of course ) any of us could've predicted this match-up, so it's great to see. Although I've always like the Steelers more, I'm a fan of Kurt Warner and it'd be pretty sweet to see this comeback topped with a Superbowl victory.

Personally, I would've liked to have seen the Eagles in there. I love McNabb, and I just want him to win a damn Superbowl. Oh well.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Quote:
What's with all the Cardinal bashing going on around here? I mean I've been down on the Cards just as much as anyone, DURING THE REGULAR SEASON, but now this team looks absolutely deserving of a Superbowl appearance. This team has looked rediculously good the past few weeks and I have no idea how their blowout victories over Atlanta and Carolina make them undeserving....

And now people are saying they aren't going to watch the Superbowl because the Cardinals will be in instead of the Eagles?! Are you kidding me?! Have any of you seen the Eagles or Cardinals play this postseason?! The Eagles had trouble keeping up with the fucking Vikings offense. They can't score worth a damn, yet people'd rather watch David Akers field-goal Philly's way to a Superbowl title?

Meanwhile, Arizona has been the most exciting team to make the playoffs this year. Larry Fitzgerald is absolutely destroying teams, while the rest of the team has finally seemed to come together. The defense has been playing better than they've played all year and now Hightower and James are finally bringing balance to their offense. And we've seen the Ravens, Steelers, Eagles, and the rest of the bunch already in a Superbowl this decade...we've NEVER seen the Cardinals make the Superbowl EVER.

If it would have been an Eagles/Steelers Superbowl, we'd get a sloppy, long and drawn out 12-15 game between two of the most overrated QBs in the league getting picked off just in range of a field goal time after time. I'm fucking grateful that we've got a team as exciting as the Cards in the superbowl.

I'm not a sports watcher. I find watching sports on tv to be the equivelant of watching paint dry.

But I'm from Philadelphia, so if the Eagles had made the superbowl then I would have actually watched it. But since they didn't make it, I have no reason to watch. So that's why I said I'm not watching since the Eagles aren't in.

And I'm rooting for the Steelers since they are from Pennsylvania. They are not Philly but at least they are from my home state.

So now I'll do what I always do every year. I'll watch the commercials but not the game itself.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't know how many of you look at foxsports.com that often, but here's a list they made of the 10 Best and 10 Worst teams to ever play in a Superbowl. The lists are awful, and painfully so for three reasons.

A.)Out of all 43 Superbowls, last year's New England Patriots were dubbed the 10th best Superbowl team of all time...they fucking lost, man!!! And they're number ten?! I know of at least one team that is most certainly more deserving of that spot than them, how about the team that fucking beat them? I'm not saying the Giants were one of the 10 best all time, but it doesn't make any sense to include the team they beat without even mentioning the Superbowl champions.

B.)On the 10 worst teams teams list, we get the 2003 Carolina Panthers at #9. The Panthers not only had a rediculous regular season that year, but they also only lost the Superbowl due to another last minute field goal by the Patriots' miracle man Adam Vinnitari.

C.) Number 1 on the 10 Worst Superbowl teams of all time....The 2008 Arizona Cardinals. The game hasn't even been played yet, and I really hope they win now to make everyone look rediculous for saying that they don't desreve to be there. This team looks much more impressive than the Steelers right now, and I have no idea how you can automatically assess this team as the worst superbowl team of all time based on their december record.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Quote:
I don't know how many of you look at foxsports.com that often, but here's a list they made of the 10 Best and 10 Worst teams to ever play in a Superbowl. The lists are awful, and painfully so for three reasons.

A.)Out of all 43 Superbowls, last year's New England Patriots were dubbed the 10th best Superbowl team of all time...they fucking lost, man!!! And they're number ten?! I know of at least one team that is most certainly more deserving of that spot than them, how about the team that fucking beat them? I'm not saying the Giants were one of the 10 best all time, but it doesn't make any sense to include the team they beat without even mentioning the Superbowl champions.

B.)On the 10 worst teams teams list, we get the 2003 Carolina Panthers at #9. The Panthers not only had a rediculous regular season that year, but they also only lost the Superbowl due to another last minute field goal by the Patriots' miracle man Adam Vinnitari.

C.) Number 1 on the 10 Worst Superbowl teams of all time....The 2008 Arizona Cardinals. The game hasn't even been played yet, and I really hope they win now to make everyone look rediculous for saying that they don't desreve to be there. This team looks much more impressive than the Steelers right now, and I have no idea how you can automatically assess this team as the worst superbowl team of all time based on their december record.
I don't mind the Panthers selection... they weren't that great in the regular season (didn't even have a bye), took double OT to get through the Rams in the 2nd round, and only advanced because Rucker (I think it was him) hurt McNabb early in the NFC Championship game. But I agree with your other 2 points, particularly Zona. Give them a freakin chance.

Also, the best Steel Curtain team is 7? Get real.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
The only stat that truly defines a champion is if you win, or if you lose. Arizona's defense may not have been up to snuff, but this team road the back of Kurt Warner all the way to their first Super Bowl. Followers of the NFL, media and fans alike, should be appreciating this example of the league's parity, and getting behind the underdog story that is the Cardinals. I never thought they'd make it, figuring that their history of bowing out against the eastern teams would be their undoing.

But the regular season and the playoffs are two totally different seasons, where win/loss records really only stand for so much. Both the Steelers and the Cardinals had the beneficiary of each playing terrible division opponents (Cincinnati and Cleveland, Seattle and St. Louis, respectively) so the number of wins can only mean so much in the grand scheme of things. If it was about win/loss records, then the Super Bowl would have been Tennessee versus New York/Carolina.

Bottomline is that both teams beat some of the best teams in the league, and that's why they're playing for the championship. There's no debate on "Best vs Worst" when you're the team that wins when it matters the most.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Boo steelers.. how was that not an incomplete pass at the end?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM
The Cardinals need to bring someone that can improve that defense. They lack that elite defensive player. Maybe bring in Ray Lewis or a linebacker that is able to light up the defense.

When Gandy threw Harrison down, I knew the game was over. He couldn't handle Harrison, not many can, but he should have been better prepared.

Both teams had way too many penalities. I was surprised by this.

Near the end of the 3rd quarter I was surprised by the conservative play by the Cardinals offense. Having seen them play most of the year, I was surprised they didn't do what they are known for doing, throwing the ball down the field, but rather throw short passes.

The Steelers really need to upgrade their O-line, by far their weakest spots.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Good game, kinda disappointed the Cardinals didn't win, but oh well.

Raiders next year Baby!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
The Cardinals lost this game because they waited too long to open up their offense. Sure, Palamalu was lurking in the back...but for fuck sakes, when you've got Fitzgerald and Boldin and you're PLAYING IN THE SUPERBOWL, you take some chances. But, when you're the worst ranked rushing team in the league, you don't play conservative and run the ball.

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought this game was absolutely amazing. Better then last years; twists, turns, 100 yard returns, the Cardinals coming back, and the last minute game winner by Holmes. Helluva game!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankpage View Post
The Cardinals lost this game because they waited too long to open up their offense. Sure, Palamalu was lurking in the back...but for fuck sakes, when you've got Fitzgerald and Boldin and you're PLAYING IN THE SUPERBOWL, you take some chances. But, when you're the worst ranked rushing team in the league, you don't play conservative and run the ball.
Exactly, point on. They wonder why Boldin flipped on Haley the week before. He did the same thing against the Eagles. You are a passing offense. You have two of the best receivers in the league, and Breaston could also be up there. Yet, you run the ball when you are behind by 2 tds. I see they want to run time off the clock, but look what happened, you gave the Steelers the ball back, and lost it because of poor decision making.

I still put most of the blame on the defense. The corner backs and safetys were expected to do way too much during the first half, and this really hurt them later on in the game. The linebackers and d-line needed to get more pressure on the qb. This has been an issue all season, and they need to do something about this in the offseason.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Good.

The Cards shouldn't have been there to begin with. Losers.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Great goddamed game. Go Steelers.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
thoughts on the super bowl

dull beginning but really picked up by half time and even more in the 4th qtr the commentators that said classic after this this was a classic only in the 4the qtr really.

I really thought Arizona was going to pull it off too bad they didn't they gave the Steelers a good run. I was kind of wishing this game went to OT.

I wonder thought if Arizona would have lost the game still if Warner didn't throw that INT at the end of the first half so instead of Arizona getting the lead or at least a tie game going into the half the steelers went up by 10.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Entertaining game. That final catch from Holmes, into triple coverage...just wow.

Any respect for James Harrison is completely gone, though. What a fucking asshole.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Still wish the Eagles were in the superbowl but I'm happy at least a Pennsylvania team won. Yay for my home state winning! Which is kind of funny since apparently there is a MAJOR rivalry between Philly and Pittsburgh. Never really knew about that until I was told by brothers after they went to Penn State for college.

Still glad PA won.

Didn't really watch. I was on the computer while the fam watched it in the tv in the same room so I only really saw the commercials and had a peek at the game for a few secs every now and then.

I did see Bruce Springsteen perform. Not too bad. Not really a fan of Jennifer Hudson (I think she's overrated) but she did a nice job singing the national anthem.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Good.

The Cards shouldn't have been there to begin with. Losers.
Yeah, right. They only beat all the other NFC playoff teams and then gave the Steeler's a run for their money by completely taking over the game. But, yeah, other than that, they suck.

God, that ending just killed me. I so wanted them to win and it looked like it would happen.

I think the one drive that really hurt was the one with all the personal foul penalties. The running into the punter one was questionable, but the roughing the passer one was totally bogus.

Great game overall. Way better than last year's, which I thought blew anyway, until the last ten minutes that is.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:37 AM

Well, if the refs in this game were planning on screwing Arizona so bad, they at least could have bought them dinner first...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRay View Post
Any respect for James Harrison is completely gone, though. What a fucking asshole.
I agree, he should have been thrown out of the game for the punches alone. No excuses.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 AM
damn man , i'm crushed , i thought the Cards were going to send fancy pants berger mac home crying . i know it sounds nuts , but the Cards scored too fast on the drive that put them ahead . they should have devised a way to kill the clock a bit more , then again , if you break free , like Fitz did , it's not like you are going to fall down in order to take more time off the clock .

i had that sinking feeling right after he scored , it was a sense of elation quickly extinguished by the reality that there was still plenty of time left .

it's like what happened last year with the patriots but the Cards were the victims this time .

it doesn't matter , the game was put in the defense's hands and although they did a remarkable job of keeping their team in contention the whole game ( an epic double goal line stand as a result of a penalty was a highlight ) , they ran out of the proverbial gas on that final game winning drive . i would have at least called for some mad 5 man blitzes , just go all out , it seemed as though they were playing the suspect zone defense . that's just what Pitts was doing and it was almost their undoing , and it's why the Cards took the lead eventually .

don't ever give the Qb a cushion in a situation like that , i just don't get the thought process . look what the gints did to bergerman when they beat the steelers during the regular season , they were relentless .

too bad , i loathe the steelers , just about as much as the patriots , eagles ,cowboys and ravens . i probably loathe the frontrunning steeler fans even more , you know , the part time cowboy fans who only root for them because it's hip to do so , but will back any glamour boy team that's playing .

at least last year the Giants stunned the world and put Belechick the videographer in his place , this year , justice wasn't served , but it came oh so close .

well , my pick for next year is the Giants again , that is if they bring Buress back . what a compelling storyline it would be to see them and the black and gold meet up in the big game , although i don't even want the steelers to make it that far .
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM
how do you not at least REVIEW that final "fumble"?????
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Great game! Looked like the Steelers were going to run away with it in the 3rd, but the Cardinals showed some moxy and came back in the 4th, only to have the Steelers make a comeback of their own with some great plays by Roethlisberger and especially Santonio. Great game, one of the best.